Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 2:47 AM
Default Not Reading Disc?
I have my The Sims 3 disc in my laptop but when I try to start the game via launcher I get the message "No disc found! Please insert The Sims 3 game disc before proceeding.

I've looked in "Computer" and it doesn't show the game disc either.
It's like it's not even in my laptop, but it is!

I've clicked retry at least half a dozen times, tried removing and then returning the disc, but still no go.

<3
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:21 AM
First insert a different CD into the CD drive and see if auto play runs the CD, if it works then cool, if not:

Go to the device manager and see if the CD drive is there, if its not then, with the CD inserted go to your CD drive press the "scan for hardware changes" button in device manager, this is a safe operation to perform as it scans your computer for detectable hardware and re-insert the CD again.

One measure I know of that could fix this issue is to uninstall the CD driver and restart Windows, but only do this if you are totally out of options as some CD drivers Windows doesn't have the correct driver for.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:23 AM
Bypass that buggy launcher all together. Find the .exe for the game and create a desktop shortcut for starting your game.

Also, does that drive play other DVDs without problem?

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:15 PM Last edited by RockRunwaY : 30th Jun 2009 at 6:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CrazyAce
First insert a different CD into the CD drive and see if auto play runs the CD, if it works then cool, if not:

Go to the device manager and see if the CD drive is there, if its not then, with the CD inserted go to your CD drive press the "scan for hardware changes" button in device manager, this is a safe operation to perform as it scans your computer for detectable hardware and re-insert the CD again.

One measure I know of that could fix this issue is to uninstall the CD driver and restart Windows, but only do this if you are totally out of options as some CD drivers Windows doesn't have the correct driver for.

Nope, other CDs won't work.
Edit: It says, "Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P Ata Device" and when I double clicked it under Device Status it says, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."
Checking for solutions didn't do anything. Just got a pop-up and saw it disappear.

Now how would I go about uninstalling my CD driver? -cough-
I want me my sims goddammit!
Could this be an excuse to force the parental unit to buy me a new laptop? XD

Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
Bypass that buggy launcher all together. Find the .exe for the game and create a desktop shortcut for starting your game.

Also, does that drive play other DVDs without problem?

I've been doing that, but I tried from the launcher because I recently downloaded something.

Edit: Other DVDs are not working. I've tried a "My First Communion" DVD and "Hello Kitty Dream Carnival" and they don't work. They were the first things I saw. XD

<3
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 7:23 PM
God I hate ACER computers, they are sooo... Crappy. Anyways... I did a Google search for your device driver and found a few.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...a+Device&aqi=g6

Take a look and see what you can do. If I were you I would be like MOMMY this peice of Sh!7 is broken and I need a diffrent computer becuase ACER sux... but thats me and I'm to old to ask for stuff and work for what I want.

Good luck and if you have any questions regarding this let us know and or how it goes.

Remember these are all suggestions.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 7:33 PM
This is obviously a hardware issue, I am moving this to the Computer Hardware/Software forum.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrazyAce
God I hate ACER computers, they are sooo... Crappy. Anyways... I did a Google search for your device driver and found a few.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...a+Device&aqi=g6

Take a look and see what you can do. If I were you I would be like MOMMY this peice of Sh!7 is broken and I need a diffrent computer becuase ACER sux... but thats me and I'm to old to ask for stuff and work for what I want.

Good luck and if you have any questions regarding this let us know and or how it goes.

Remember these are all suggestions.

Actually, I said something around that about a month ago when this laptop started to give me problems. She literally said, "Beeeesh please." XD I love my mother.

Time to fix this shizz. :D

& Thanks for moving the thread!

<3
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:24 AM
Have you ever been able to play discs in the drive? Because I know for a fact Acer was at one point shipping out laptops that had opticals which were not Vista compatible on Vista machines.