Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 12:50 PM
Default Making Objects, Without using SimPe
Hello, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW How to make things (objects) Without using SimPe. :naughty: it is to hard to use, i tried downloading it, but i cum up with the old version! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :insane:
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 12:55 PM
Er... You'll be having trouble then. I think DatGen has some support for new objects, but I don't know to what extent. Add to that the fact that DatGen is pretty close to discontinued and you come down to the fact that you pretty much need to use SimPE. What actually went wrong when you downloaded? Which version did you try to get?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 1:40 PM
Gauthier, I think any program to help you make sims objects is going to be hard to use - making sims objects is hard, full stop.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 12:38 AM
Yeah... as Echo said, DatGen may be able to do it, but finding a tutorial on how to do it with DatGen, and getting support from people who also make objects with it would be a lot harder than reading tutorials on and becoming familiar with SimPE.

The actual process of using SimPE to create objects isn't all that complicated, once you do it a few times. There are plenty of tutorials involving its use, some with pictures.

But yes, as Inge said... making objects is hard. If you're having trouble understanding SimPE, you're going to be completely lost once you get to the actual process of 3d modeling to make your object mesh. However, it's not impossible; if you're willing to devote quite a few hours to reading tutorials and playing with SimPE and your 3d modeling program of choice, it's actually quite rewarding.

All of us had to start somewhere. I've been into making Sims 2 custom content for about a year now, and when I started, I didn't know anything about alphas in textures, let alone how to use SimPE, and I'd never touched a 3d modeling program before. Now, I wouldn't say I'm an expert in any of it, but I know what I'm doing; however, it's been dozens upon dozens of hours of reading tutorials, experimenting, messing up, and starting over. It's frustrating, it gives me a headache, and I end up wanting to bang my head against the desk when I'm done. And yet, it's very rewarding.

Getting to that point requires a certain mindset though. You have to be somewhat masochistic, and willing to put your mind through things it's not experienced before. In other words... you have to be willing to study and learn.