Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 17th May 2005 at 4:02 PM Last edited by LynnMar : 17th May 2005 at 11:39 PM.
how much does it cost to subscribe to the forums? thanks

I guess I am confused, I thought to subscribe to something was to pay for it. :confused:

oh, well anyhow, I cannot find the button to click to say thank you for a download, just exactly where is it located?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 17th May 2005 at 5:55 PM
Nice work and well done!! Always appreciating everything you guys do around here. What a talented group of moderators (and Delphy ) we have around here! Makes me feel lucky to be a MTS2 member.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 17th May 2005 at 7:58 PM
Hey Delphy thanks, this is wonderful, all the new features and improvements you've done.. but.. am I the only one that didn't like the feature of the downloads on the top of the posts?
I mean, people won't even bother reading the first post itself, since the download is the first thing they'll see ignoring the rest... despiting this, I loved everything else
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:03 PM
LynnMar, I didnt know you had to pay to get the forums? You are talking about here right?

BTW, Im loving this 'thanks' button but I do have to complain about it (Im a woman, therefore Im aloud - sides I havent complianed all day, which isnt like me )

how comes object recolours dont get thanked, both of my picture threads dont have 'thanks' thats not fair, I SimPE'd my butt off doing those pictures, I would like a 'thanks' button since not everyone posts it
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#30 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:05 PM
Spikesgal2004, I see the thank you button at the end of one of your wall hangings threads. This is the thread I'm talking about:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=53905

Besides, if you have any issues regarding the changes being made, you should post in the Site Issues forum, and not in this thread.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:13 PM
sorry about that Daysies, and I cant see any thanks button on that thread...maybe its to stop me from thanking myself.....
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#32 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:35 PM
Just to be consistent (as I posted this in the Post/Thanks thread in Site Issues):

I was going to comment about this in the other thread you mentioned this on, and the thanks button does not show up for threads that I created. So the button will not show up for your own threads because you created the thread. It will show up for everyone else thanking YOU. So essentially, you can not thank yourself.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:55 PM
You can't thank yourself, no

roddy, thats a valid point but there *is* the text next to download files, in bold...
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th May 2005 at 2:26 AM
Thank you. These new changes are great!
I'm glad that you guys took the time to do this! :D
Test Subject
#35 Old 18th May 2005 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LynnMar
how much does it cost to subscribe to the forums? thanks

I guess I am confused, I thought to subscribe to something was to pay for it. :confused:

I'm guessing it's more that you're agreeing to see those forums when you open the homepage of the site. Kind of like subscribing to an email list, or something. As far as I know, the only 'pay' stuff on this site are donations that are volunteered, not mandatory.

~*~ Cyra ~*~
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th May 2005 at 9:26 AM
What's Off-Topic Discussion? Is it what used to be General Discusson?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#37 Old 18th May 2005 at 9:47 AM
Simling, correct.

and yes, a subscription in this case is *not* anything to do with paying money
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 18th May 2005 at 1:07 PM
What does this "Thanked 3 times in 1 post" mean

BAXTER

Global Village, a place for everything and everything with a place!!
Visit Henry's Sims 2 World for discussion, games, and contests.
Access the Eclipse Industries forum to find the latest movies and updates from Eclipse Studios.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th May 2005 at 4:18 PM
I LOVE the "thanks' feature!! It lets the creator know people like what they have made, and yet doesn't clutter up the forum!!! This should really help when people do have a problem with an object!!!

I'm not too sure about the whole subscribtion thing...If I'm not interested in off topic things, then I just don't go in there. I guess people just need something to complain about!! :lol

Thank you again for a wonderful place full of creative people and useful information!!!!!
Field Researcher
#40 Old 18th May 2005 at 11:23 PM
I like the "thanks" feature, but I would like to see it expanded to include other posts. It would be nice to be able to thank someone for providing valuable game help, which can be just as important (often more so) than providing new hairstyles or clothing. I would also like to see this because I don't mod or create things, so it's the only way I'm gonna get any thanks (sorry, had to say it 'cos it's TRUE!!!).

Would also like a link on the main page to the editing section of my profile and so on. I have to go via the link to private messages, as it's the only way I have found to get the menu up. Seems a bit strange does that.

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Forum Resident
#41 Old 18th May 2005 at 11:37 PM
Quote:
Would also like a link on the main page to the editing section of my profile and so on. I have to go via the link to private messages, as it's the only way I have found to get the menu up. Seems a bit strange does that.

You can use the quick links dropdown on the top right for that. It's on every page.
Test Subject
#42 Old 19th May 2005 at 3:48 AM
Hmmm... Just a question regarding the forum subscriptions... Is it normal for boxes that are unchecked - the 'parent' forum isn't checked, just various child forums are... - and yet, they still show up on the 'new posts' screen?
Personally, I don't like the webcomics and Anime forums, so I just don't go to them.. I have basically all forums except for those checked in my subscriptions, yet I still see the Anime one popping up every time there's a new post.. *grumbles*
Not sure if it's a bug, or if Anime just likes me, or something.
*grin* If something can be done about it, it'd be great. If not, I'll deal with it. *grin* Thanks!

~*~ Cyra ~*~
retired moderator
#43 Old 19th May 2005 at 4:11 AM
Gee. Good idea, but but, nobody's thanked me. Sniff sniff.

I think I'll go click a few buttons now.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#44 Old 19th May 2005 at 4:17 AM
About adding thanks to all posts rather than just downloads... I'd rather we didn't, reason being that it's meant to be an addition to prevent clutter in the downloads section. The thank you posts there have turned into spam, even though it's well intended spam. That problem doesn't really exist in other parts of the site.

That's the only purpose I want the thank you mod to serve. I do NOT want it to become another competitive thing like post count where people are just keeping score, begging someone to thank them the way people beg someone to rate their post on the EA site. Blech. :P

In fact I think it would be nice if the post count and thanks count were visible only to the indivudual that they belong to and to moderators, so you couldn't see anybody else's post count or thanks count. Maybe that would get rid of the dumb competion.

RG
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 19th May 2005 at 5:05 AM
I would like to thank you Delphy, it shows that you have put a lot of work into this site. I truly appreciate all the great contents, as it has helped me in learning so many different techniques. The set up makes it much easier. Great work....
Test Subject
#46 Old 19th May 2005 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
Delphy's just added a "Thanks" feature to the downloads section. Now instead of making a new post just to say, "Thank you, this is great!" people can just click a button to add their name to a list of people to say thank you for the download. He just got it installed, it may not be finished but it is working. This should make it a lot easier to see important posts about a download like whether there's been a bug report because it won't been in the middle of 50 thank you posts.

So Posts = your total posts on the forums.
Thanks = how many times you've clicked the thanks button.
Thanked X times in X posts = how many times someone has clicked the button for your downloads, and in how many different threads.

I don't know if all those stats will be permanently displayed.

Awesome Idea! And I was worried when you made the poll of what do we use this site for ... so you can make changes ... oy! What was I so worried about?!!!

Better organization is the key to a good site, and I ALREADY THOUGHT you were as good as it got, but now realize maybe I was wrong! lol

You might want to organize even further sub-sections of threads, such as bug reporting, usefulness polls, etc. So a visitor to the thread can find exactly what needs to be found in a few clicks. They can do this already if they know how (by using "search this thread" with keywords like "BUGS") but I'm just saying how you can expand on your current idea.

Yeah, I know Delphy. Like you needed to ADD to the thing your trying to finish, right? LOL :D

"Geeez ... would it kill them to stab eachother? ... Oh ... hehe ... I guess it would!" ~ A Mad Sim Programmer trying to overcome a program error ... lol
Test Subject
#47 Old 19th May 2005 at 8:44 AM
ooops - methinks I was a bit vague ... lol. What I meant is that people can sub-class their type of post in the thread as a bug report, comment, question/ answer, and maybe reorganize and recolor the subclassed threads so they can recieve quick attention based on what a user is looking for. In other words, the same way you reorganized all dowload threads to be at the top of the thread. With some CSS, the thread border, text, and background colors could be modified to indicate exactly what type of post subclass it falls under and which order it should be in. It would make your jobs easier as admins and moderators also, allowing the 'general comments' area of the thread to be quickly scanned.

These are all just thoughts, of course. Take them with a grain of salt. I've read some of the posts, and am sure some would disagree with my suggestion. But thats all it is - just a suggestion. I don't think the site needs changing at all, honestly ... lol
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#48 Old 19th May 2005 at 9:55 AM
Emaledreams,

You are subscribed to the General Discussion top level forum, which means you will see posts in all the forums underneath regardless of individual forum subscription.

You need to turn off subscription to the "General Discussion" forum and leave the child forums ticked.

Regards
Delphy
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#49 Old 19th May 2005 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thunderspirit
Awesome Idea! And I was worried when you made the poll of what do we use this site for ... so you can make changes ... oy! What was I so worried about?!!!

Haha. The poll is because we have the idea that there are different types of users on this site and a different homepage would be suitable depending on how you use the site. We're trying to add more customization.

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#50 Old 19th May 2005 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
You are subscribed to the General Discussion top level forum, which means you will see posts in all the forums underneath regardless of individual forum subscription.

You need to turn off subscription to the "General Discussion" forum and leave the child forums ticked.

This works for General Discussion, but the problem with this is where the parent forum is also an actual forum with posting in it, but some of the child forums are not wanted. If you turn off the parent simply so you untick some of the children, you will lose the ability to see important wanted posts. Is there a case for having all forums at the same level - ie move posts from a parent forum into a child forum specially created for them. Eg Posts from Object Creation & Texturing top level move to a newly created child forum Object Creation & Texturing/General or something like that? Then that will complete the flexibility made possible by the new hack.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 2 of 3