Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 2:16 PM
Oops, sorry Delphy, didn't noticed that. Guess I never have to go that far back because I follow the downloads on an almost daily base. Thanks for your great work to make MTS2 the best and easiest to navigate site!!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 4:43 PM
I was wondering if we could get some more themes for the site?

Seems as if the ones that have been on MTS2 have been here for a while and it'd be nice to see some new designs
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 10:46 PM
I've been meaning to do a new theme and look/feel to the site for a while, but it's a fair amount of work to do. It's on my list though but I can't promise anything soon.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:24 PM
I don't know if this would be possible but maybe a list of the people who take requests with a link to their download page so people know what areas a person take requests in. I know it's suppose to say somewhere, signature I think, if they take requests but I think this would be easier. For example, someone wants to request something for Harry Potter well they could look at the list, be able to find someone who does that and pm them.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#30 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:29 PM
planetty: I highly doubt anything like that will ever happen. We already have a huge amount of items listed on the Content List and if you want to find some more you can use WCIF.

MTS2 has not supported a "Requests" section for a long time and, as the first post suggests, we will not be doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mad Poster
#31 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 12:40 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 13th Nov 2008 at 2:47 AM.
eye haz an ideeuh...

How about instead of those little page numbers that you use to select a page...*goes off to get a pic*

^those

...we have a scroll bar with all the numbers in it, so if the thread is *exaggerates* like a million pages long, we don't have to go ten pages at a time if we want to get to the next-to-last page. A drop-down list would work well for that as well.

good job by the way, the site works great.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Mad Poster
#32 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 8:05 AM
2 suggestions to your appreciation :
1. I noticed that some creators look to be "upset" by something in the way they're writing their policy. - The is not meant to be a critic as everyone has the right to make the policy he wants - but I was wondering why, until I learned about pirats stealing other persons' work to redistribute it without permission which is or course a good reason of being very upset. Perhaps a tip on MTS2 warning people about pirats' behaviour could be a good thing... Especially because those pirats are a good target for hackers in the way that hackers could easily "virus" their redistributed items and get to spread " virus" around downloaders PCs (sorry but that's a professional distortion of mine but I think this could be important) - do not hesitate to PM me for any further questions you may have I'll be happy to answer.

The second suggestion is cosmetic and regards pics "disapearing" from threads. I noticed that some threads have lost some of their pics which looks "strange" int the threads and can be annoying if one can think those pics are an explanation for installing the downloads - in game mods section for example.

I am not good with informatic so sorry if this suggestion is unfeasible.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#33 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 8:24 AM
Rapsheba, in threads that are longer than x number of pages, the main forum list shows a direct link to the last page; as does the thread view itself. If you know what the page number you want it, you can also use the "Jump" box to go straight there.

Guardgian, generally the people who steal from MTS2 aren't pirates, as all downloads on MTS2 are free - pirates buy "donation" or paysite items and make them available for free. The people who steal from MTS2 are generally ignorant 13 yearolds too lazy to do the work themselves, who decide to steal someone else's work and claim it as their own; or inconsiderate people who, say, recolour a mesh and them include the mesh without consent or credit.
This, to be honest, is the same in all online art communities - if you're going to make something pretty, someone is going to steal it. This seems to be a fairly elemental logical conclusion to me, although others may disagree, and I'd expect most people to come to it of their own accord.
Screenshots

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#34 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 9:20 AM
Also, in addition to what whiterider said - Sims 2 downloads are not executable and can't do anything to the filesystem (they run in a sandbox of the game), thus is pretty much impossible they could contain a "virus" in the traditional sense of the word.

Rapsheba, as white said, you can use the "Last" pagenav link to get to the last page, then go backwards from there. If you just want to jump to the first unread there is also a link for that, too. I don't realy think we need to have the dropdown with page numbers becuase of the already existing navigation links.

Guardgian, pics "disappearing" could also be becuase the person hosts the image on thier photobucket and then deletes it later on but forgets to check it. It could also be from an absolutely ancient thread where the creator hasn't logged in for a while, and lastly it could just be the thumbnail server timing out. Since the vast majority of pics do work fine, this is not really a site issue or suggestion but more of something that the creators themselves have to update.

Field Researcher
#35 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 2:12 PM
Would it be possible to have a 'Top 10 Most Downloaded' for each category? For example, the Top Ten most downloaded houses, objects, outfits etc. I like seeing what other people are downloading, and it gives me inspiration to perhaps download something I might not have thought of using in my game before.
Instructor
#36 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 8:27 PM
It would be nice to add more options in Creators pages, so creators (and me) could make their pages more interesting.

My DEVIANTART profile
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#37 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 10:55 PM
kriselt, what kind of options would you like to see?

Test Subject
#38 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 12:59 AM
The top navbar doesn't seem to work on Google Chrome. It isn't really an improvement, and it might be on Google's end, but if it is on the MTS2 end, It'd certainly be more convenient if that could be fixed...
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#39 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 1:59 AM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 14th Nov 2008 at 2:49 AM.
I don't know if this has even been implemented or if there is anything similar, but how about a weekly user spotlight?

It could be like 1 or 2 people picked weekly on certain things like...

1 - Quality Uploads that week
2 - Helpfulness in areas like creator feedback
3 - Activity
4 - Following the rules
etc.

It would be different than being picked or featured because it isn't permanent, and instead of just one of your uploads basking in the glory, it give the chance for all of your uploads to be shown.

EDIT - If you wanted it to go even further, you could even make a little icon thing like the mocca and latte awards to go under your name. When you hover over it it says "User Spotlight" and then the date. If you click on it, it will show the current spotlit person.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Rapsheba, in threads that are longer than x number of pages, the main forum list shows a direct link to the last page; as does the thread view itself. If you know what the page number you want it, you can also use the "Jump" box to go straight there.

oh, i never saw the jump box, silly me...

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#41 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 8:09 AM
littelbro14, the navbar uses javascript, thus if you're using a browser which doesn't have javascript support installed, it won't work - I have the same issue with Safari. It's almost definitely fixable, just search "javascript" on the browser's support site.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#42 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 8:41 AM
Google chrome only has a 1% browser share here at MTS2. Safari only 1.9%. I probably wont do any deliberate work to fix Chrome for MTS2 until it's market share gets bigger since there are other things I can spend time on that affect more than 1% of users.

With that said, as white suggests, I'm sure somebody has the same issue with vBulletin menus on Google chrome, so it's worth googling about it.

Forum Resident
#43 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 11:24 AM
Ok, not really a suggestion but is there any way to get a statistic on the male to female ratio of registered members. Its something I'd be really interested in seeing.
Test Subject
#44 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 11:55 AM
Maybe we could have a page that shows who's willing to take requests for creating sim celebrities and famous people. I'm not quite sure how it would work but i think it might be a good idea!
Instructor
#45 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 2:47 PM
I really don't know. But it would be great, and if it will happen - I think here will be much ideas form other creators.

My DEVIANTART profile
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#46 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 5:12 PM
ShanOw, we do have those stats, but they're pretty meaningless - as a lot of members don't bother to set their gender, so it defaults to Male. In the TS2 community in general, though, there are far more women than men. Same with MTS2 staff.

lozza230hawks, that was suggested a few posts ago - http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...677#post2055677

The ModFather
retired moderator
#47 Old 15th Nov 2008 at 12:06 AM
Dealing with faulty objects and error logs, I often need a tag that would allow to post a long (and wide) text without making the post too long.
I'd say that the [HTML] is quite good for the purpose (fixed character width, small line spacing, support for the "tab" character), if it wasn't for its name, that makes people avoid it like hell
I suggest to remove the [ CODE ] and [ PHP ] tags ( or at least make them "hidden", like the [ S ] and the [ SPOILER ] ones); and rename the [ HTML ] to CODE. Maybe a smaller character size to be used inside the box, would be nice too.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#48 Old 15th Nov 2008 at 12:57 AM
Numenor, That would require me to enable HTML formatting on the entire site - something which I will not do.

In fact, the [ code ] bbtag actually matches more closely what you want to do since it's basically a < pre > < / pre > HTML tag wrapped in a table wrapped in a div.

So, really, code does wnat you want already although there is an added problem though of vBulletin inserting extra line breaks per line into a code segment - something that I have looked at before and never worked out.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#49 Old 15th Nov 2008 at 1:12 AM
The extra line break is the reason why I never use the [ CODE ] tag. But anyway, thanks for the clarification; I'll go on using the [ HTML ] tag when I need it, and if other people won't use it, it's none of my business

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
#50 Old 15th Nov 2008 at 7:24 AM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 15th Nov 2008 at 7:30 AM.
Delphy, I just made a Thanks post with a Quote in it [bu pressing the "Quote" button on another post], and I didn`t see a "This is a Thanks post" check-box in the "advanced" mode, until I saved the message and re-edited it. Might it be possible to enable that check-box when entering the Advanced mode editor from the Quote button in a Downloads thread?

Also, I`d like to be able to see if I have already thanked a thread while I am waiting for the page to finish loading. Could the relavent text be placed in the Details text you include before the first post?

Another thing that bugs me about vBulliten is how the New Messages page always insists on sending me to the #newpost marker; sometimes I want to start at the beginning of a thread. [Yeah, I know, click on "<<First"!] Which reminds me, vBulliten often skips past messages I have not read when going to #newpost. How is this handled? Is there room for making unread messages become "old" after a longer [or profile-adjustable] period?

Numenor: the "rest of us" do not choose to not use the [html] tag; we cannot use it.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Page 2 of 9