Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 3:28 PM
Default TLC appreciated- a rather high poly android
Hi guys

After many failed attempts to create a functioning light, I decided to go into sculptures. I had a go at creating a robot statue that I once requested in my pre- meshing days, and in game it works fine. However, the poly count is astonomical- together, I have 3000+ verticies and 2800+ faces. According to Boblishman's scale, 5800 polygons is a 'little' too much... Although it works OK in my game, I don't want to infect anyone's else's game with an object with around 6000 polygons.

I am aware that Milkshape allows you to delete verticies, but any I try to remove appear on the mesh as empty gaps on the sculpture. Can anyone help me out so that this poor android may see the light of day?

Thanks,

SuperFly :baloons:

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 3:34 PM
Your object has 2800 polygons, not 5800. Faces are the same thing as polygons . You don't add vertices and polygons together. If this is a one-tile object, then 3000 vertices or 2800 polygons is fairly high, but not outrageous.

Rather than deleting vertices, you should weld them together. That shouldn't leave gaps. There is also a tool in Milkshape, I think it's called DirectX Mesh Tools which can be used to reduce polygons and vertices, although I have no personal experience with it.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 3:39 PM
Ahh, faces are polygons... shows how much I know about meshes

A question about welding- how does it work? Is it a way of adding faces together so that they make a single face, or does it do something else?

Your help is much appreciated,

SuperFly

Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 3:55 PM
To weld, use the Select tool in the Model tab, set it to select vertices in Select Options. Then select the vertices you want to combine into one so that they show up red (and nothing else is selected), then go to Vertex -> Snap Together, and then Vertex -> Weld Together. Snapping puts them together but doesn't reduce them, while welding actually combines them into one vertex. (This is my understanding of how it works).
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 4:35 PM
Thanks IgnorantBliss! My little android is well on his way to recovery