Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 1:01 AM Last edited by lauratje86 : 24th Apr 2017 at 12:29 AM.
Default Novel/Unusual Ways To Use Custom Sliders?
So, I keep seeing posts (mainly on Tumblr) about the new custom sliders that are now available for The Sims 2. I wasn't overly excited when I first saw SimNopke's sliders, not because they aren't an incredible piece of work, but because I pretty much only play pre-made sims and never make sims from scratch. So I figured that they wouldn't be much use to me, had a quick look at them (and the later sliders uploaded by other creators) and then moved on to other things.

But for some reason I kept coming back to them and thinking about them! I really want to make use of them in my game, so I've been coming up with ideas on how I could use them in ways other than "make new CAS sims for my game". I've only come up with two ideas so far, and I'm not sure how they'll work in practise.

Idea #1: Use the new sliders and the Plastic surgery option to simulate the effects of (facial) injuries. I saw one slider that can be used to give a "broken nose" effect, and there are also some which could be used to alter eyes and ears. Used with CC scars and burns I think that they could open up possibilities for (non-genetic) facial injuries caused by, for example, sims fighting with each other, house fires and perhaps career-related injuries (I'm thinking Carlos Contender here - in my mind all ex-boxers should have a badly healed broken nose!).

Idea #2: An idea that keeps creeping back into my brain (go away, idea, I have important adult busy-things to do!) is to either remake or edit pre-made sims so that I can use the new sliders for their faces (and perhaps give them genetically realistic children as well, for those who have offspring!). I guess that I'd only want to make small changes, so that the sims were still kind of recognisable?

I really want to come up with ways that I can use these sliders! I would love to hear if anyone has any other ideas and as always I welcome comments, suggestions, questions and so on.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 4:22 AM
If you never make sims from scratch..you probably never make your own Townies either, I guess.
I might have an idea. Something between playing the pre-mades and making sims.
How about, you'd create a new *Sim-specie*..or race. There are aliens already, who are supposed to have been made according to the typical, stereotypical alien. Big eyes, small nose..green skin. When you take a look at the original PT, that is.
But a totally new specie/race would be interesting...you could invent new simmies, and try these new sliders to your heart's content. And then turn them into Townies..and wait patiently for your playables to meet them. The story they share can be anything you choose. They are Sims..and in this universe, everything is possible. Aliens comes from space, but they are just another Sim race.
Townies or YA's dormies, so they can all have different family names...However you feel like.
While this would not fit with my own play style, I still love the idea. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 10:54 AM
I like the uneven ones particularly - enables you to get sims with asymmetrical faces which is much more life-like.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
How about, you'd create a new *Sim-specie*..or race.

Oooh, this got me thinking! And as a result I am now planning out a remade version of plantsims, based on a plantsim "species" which I originally came up with years ago called Naelves! :-) If I play the Riverblossom Hills sims in a different setting I can decorate and set up an interesting new 'hood, hopefully come up with a way of making the Riverblossom Hills sims interesting for me to play and get to use the new sliders to create my Naelves! I can redo Rose and Daisy and create the community of plantsims/Naelves which is mentioned in the 'hood story as being where Rose originally came from.

I'm excited! :-D

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I like the uneven ones particularly - enables you to get sims with asymmetrical faces which is much more life-like.

Yes, I love the asymmetrical sliders, they're such a great idea! :-)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:29 PM
*Wow! It's been a while since I've been on here! So, hello everyone! *

Can anyone link us to (some of) those "custom sliders" please? The only sliders I know of that we can add are those that have been taken from Bodyshop... :/
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:33 PM
Hi there M.M.A.A.!
These are from here, and the only new slides I have..(besides the ones you already have, from BS)
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=593107

I'll leave other links to other members who actually have other ones.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:35 PM
You can find them here and here (or here)

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Hi there M.M.A.A.!
These are from here, and the only new slides I have..(besides the ones you already have, from BS)
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=593107

I'll leave other links to other members who actually have other ones.

Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
You can find them here and here (or here)

Oooh! Wonderful! Thanks!

Was actually hoping they'd be body sliders but oh well! \ /
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 4:02 AM
I've been "re-creating" certain Maxis sims to be more genetically accurate (and to have less Face 1/2 breeding with each other). Also, the previously-suggested custom townies/dormies/downtownies/tourists/locals...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:05 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 26th Apr 2017 at 10:18 PM.
Yess! I've been using plastic surgery (via Gussy Up) as a kind of "fight injury" but really only a broken nose or chin is possible with symmetrical sliders; it will be nice to have some variety.

Other ideas I'm having:

- Yes to make new "species", especially when combined with a custom skin. Perhaps even a new kind of supernatural which I can invent my own rules for inheritance and behaviour.

- To add a prominent "family feature" which can be handed down.

- To create closer models of real people, of course

- To create "mutants" in an apocalypse scenario.

- To create a new set of face templates with even more variety. (Bearing in mind you don't need to replace all at once).

Now, if only there was a way to hide sliders I would prefer not to use...

Edited to add one more - perhaps some kind of after-effect from disease? Some sicknesses in real life change the appearance of the face. This could be particularly interesting in a medieval type hood where anyone who'd had the disease may be shunned.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...