Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 26th May 2013 at 2:05 PM Last edited by Bailey Weggins : 26th May 2013 at 2:19 PM.
SOLVED - I didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I got my dormer right now

I can't get my dormer right.
On the left side the floor tile snaps to the outside (see the second picture). I can't make it snap to the inside. Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?
Screenshots

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler
Advertisement
The other one
Original Poster
#27 Old 29th May 2013 at 7:36 AM
Yikes. I guess I haven’t checked my subscribed threads for a while, sorry.

@mkmaxwell, I’ve PM’d you but if Bailey Weggins’ suggestion doesn’t fix it could you please post pics here?

@rhea, did you definitely do the the very last step?
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
The final step is to get down low so that you can see the flat ceiling tiles in the centre of the room/dormer. Grab any floor tile and touch it to the ceiling [l]. You don’t have to place the tile, the ceiling slopes will automatically appear.

@Bailey Weggins, sorry you didn’t get a response but I’m glad you’ve sorted it now It’s annoying that one side of dormer ceilings do that but I’m afraid I don’t think there’s a real fix, just work arounds :/
Test Subject
#28 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 7:53 PM
Hey, this is fabulous and I've got everything to work up until the point of putting the widows in. For some reason it won't let me put the windows on the second floor. I know everything leveled right so i dont know what's wrong :l Although, I am doing this on the sims 2, is that why its not working? I can place them with moveobjects on obviously but then the wall shows up through the window thus defeating the purpose of the window

is there anyway to get this to work?
The other one
Original Poster
#29 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 5:15 AM
It's been a long time since I played TS2 and I was only a basic builder then so I think it should work but can't say for sure. Sounds like you're maybe just trying to place a window on a piece of wall that's too low though. Normal height windows will need to be placed on walls that are full height or very close to it.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
The other one
Original Poster
#30 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 9:43 AM Last edited by missroxor : 17th Sep 2013 at 5:32 PM.
Aeval99 asked me if I was ever going to finish the peaked roof tut. It’s been something I’ve been meaning to do far a long time now but I never seem to get around to it. So, this is a quick tut add-on for Aeval that I‘ll maybe one day get around to re-doing on something that's not the ugliest house known to man!

NOTE: Peaked roofs will only work on rooms that are an even number of tiles wide. Odd numbers will give you a flat central column.

Armiel taught me a few tricks about CFE in her CFE video tuts. I mentioned the “Exact terrain height method” earlier but I’ll also be using her steps method of lowering roofs.

Placing the roof

CFE False
1. Place a set of steps on top of your floor-tile roof so that the roof sinks 4-steps. Repeat this step so that you have an 8-step high drop in your roof. Level the whole tile roof to that new height. This storey of your building is now exactly half of a full wall height (or 8-steps high).
2. Place your roof (inc dormer roof).

Gaining height for your peaked roof

Unless you’re making a special dummy floor specifically for the peaked roof, or you don’t mind having very low side walls, you’re going to need to make the highest point of your peak higher than a normal height wall. For my example I’m going to make the highest point 1 1/4 x wall height (or 20 steps high). I’ll be using Armi’s exact terrain height method which you can also see in her CFE video tuts.

CFE true
1. Place one piece of wall on the ground somewhere. Raise the terrain around it. Place a piece of floor tile on top of it. This will level the ground around it to one step short of full wall height or 15 steps (if you have patch 1.55 or higher – prior to that patch it will lower the terrain to ¾ wall height).
2. I want my terrain to be exactly 4 steps high so I placed 11 total steps down the terrain. You can test you’ve done this correctly by placing 4 steps down to the original ground level.
3. Place one tile of guide wall. Now with the full height guide wall and 4-step high raised terrain my guidewall (and therefore the highest peak of my roof) is one and a quarter walls high or 20 steps high.
CFE False

4. Stretch that across your roof. Now you have the highest point of your peak, we can work down from here using the step method.

Making Slopes

1. Place a set of steps directly on the roof to lower part of it by 4-steps. Level the roof leaving only the central line down the middle of the roof at the highest peak.
2. Repeat the above step until the main part of your roof is sloped on both sides, each time leaving another column untouched in the centre. If you have trouble placing steps or find doing both sides too fiddly just make a guide wall at the end of your building.

Wide dormers

With a 5-tile wide dormer I want to have one flat tile in the centre and two sloping tiles either side.

1. Take your level tool and drag from the lowest sloping tile on the main roof and take it over your dormer leaving a one-tile wide column on each side untouched.
2. Repeat but this time go up to the next lowest point on the sloped main roof and drag over the centre of your dormer. You should now have a gradual slope either side of the dormer and a flat centre. You can probably have a peaked dormer too but who has time for that? :p

Finishing touches

1. Don’t forget to touch the ceiling with a floor tile!
2. Play with the roof height slider to try to fix any little dormer joint issues.
3. Depending on the lowest point of slope that you went for, you may have to re-think your window placement and/or window type.

You can of course alter this to suit your own needs. For example, if your house is 10 tiles wide then you might want to make the highest point of your peak 1 ¾ x normal wall height (or 28 steps) so that your slope reaches both sides. When you’re more confident with CFE you can freestyle it and make fancy curved slopes instead of using steps... but it’s probably best to try this method first

ETA: oops, I had two different heights written down as my aim for the peak height. Ive ammended this so it now says 1 1/4 wall height. Sorry for any confusion caused.
Screenshots

Scholar
#31 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 5:27 PM
Thank you so much, missroxor. I can't wait to try it out.
Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Dec 2013 at 9:31 PM
I managed to do the ceiling but it messes up the wall pattern of the roof triangle making horizontal wooden planks look like a wooden plank rainbow.
The other one
Original Poster
#33 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 10:37 PM
Yup. I'm afraid that's a standard side effect of using CFE to warp walls. It's usually not noticeable if you use vertical patterns like I did on the finished examples.

On a different subject; I used this method when I was building something the other day and for some reason the ceiling wouldn't stay put. It was there in build mode but the slopes disappeared in live mode. This shouldn't happen :/ I didn't have time to do much in the way of investigating to see if maybe a patch broke it or if it's just me being dumb but would be good to know if anyone else has had the same issue (I'm fully patched).

Test Subject
#34 Old 5th May 2014 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Yup. I'm afraid that's a standard side effect of using CFE to warp walls. It's usually not noticeable if you use vertical patterns like I did on the finished examples.

On a different subject; I used this method when I was building something the other day and for some reason the ceiling wouldn't stay put. It was there in build mode but the slopes disappeared in live mode. This shouldn't happen :/ I didn't have time to do much in the way of investigating to see if maybe a patch broke it or if it's just me being dumb but would be good to know if anyone else has had the same issue (I'm fully patched).

Do you remember what CC and Patterns you have in the First Vaulted Ceiling pic i would love to have those CC and patterns
Test Subject
#35 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 8:05 PM
This may sound dumb, but wheres the level tool?
dodgy builder
#36 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Synthesia
This may sound dumb, but wheres the level tool?

It's among the terraintools.
Page 2 of 2