Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2018 at 5:50 AM Last edited by attuned : 22nd Feb 2019 at 6:05 AM.
Default TS3- Help me turn my Pet Center into an Arts Center- new pics!
I built an all in one pet center for Petlandia Village. Now we are adding some extra lots for additional EPs, since Petlandia was BG and Pets only. Petlandoo was three buildings, two of them attached. I converted the large barn into a art display area, with the consignment register and a cafe area. On the second floor of the barn are easels for painting. The middle building has two sculpting stations, and the last building has two inventing stations.

The first problem is that the upper floor of the barn has no windows on the sides. I wanted to give the artist more light (yes- I know they're sims) so I added a dormer on one side. This left the barn asymmetrical. I then tried a lower dormer on the left side. I don't want it like this, obviously, so some advice. Large dormer (like left), small dormer (like right), dormers on both sides, one side, no dormers???

When I added the dormer to the right side, I separated the buildings and redid the roof. If I leave them separate, should I move the whole building over one tile to space them better? Any other suggestions?

Finally, this is a BG and Ambitions build only. Any suggestions for clutter or decor are appreciated. I didn't change the exterior colors of the buildings. They vary because of the season and time of day. Thanks!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Advertisement
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#2 Old 30th Dec 2018 at 9:01 AM
@attuned That is a great looking conversion into a gallery. As to the windows I'm not sure I could make a good recommendation but someone else probably could. The only thing I could say is that from one of them it seem you would only view roof of other building. The only 2 optional recommendations I have are #1 On the main gallery floor add a perimeter border tile with CASt(possibly both chair colors) to floor starting at lion and unicorn statues between gold and white tiles. #2 Move the counter 1/2 space forward if possible since it doesn't seem a sim could get behind to operate register.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 4:22 AM
Thanks facisthater for your input. Funny enough, when I went to test the lot yesterday, a cashier has already been assigned to the register. I moved the counter 1/2 tile away from each wall anyway. It looks better I think.

The entire main gallery has been revamped, but my game crashed before I got pictures, but right after saving (thank you NRaas Saver). I will post those soon.

Questions: no dormers, 1 dormer, 2 large dormers, 2 small dormers. Large or small dormer windows?
Name: Art Zoo, Artlandoo, Make Fetch Happen

@Johnny_Bravo suggestions?
Screenshots

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 8:57 AM
I have no suggestions for the interior, I have no experience with community lots except basic parks.
I personally like the 2 large dormers + large window combination as it looks more natural than the small dormers or the single one. It's visually more pleasing than no dormer, too.

Art Zoo sounds fitting, I just thought of a simple name like Pet Art, maybe Art Animal or even Artimal?

Strangely enough I just happened to check this out to see if I had any input. The @ mention didn't show up in my inbox.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 5:11 AM
Hey Johnny!
As for no experience with community lots, I think your great eye and flair for style and design qualify you, just my opinion.
I LOVE Artimal- (I thought you didn't like naming things? )
Quote:
Strangely enough I just happened to check this out to see if I had any input. The @ mention didn't show up in my inbox.

What can I say- great minds think alike.
Thanks!

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 8:02 AM
It's not that don't like naming things, I rather suck at it
But these 3 just popped up in my head. Are there interior pics available already somewhere or will they be posted here?

#7 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 4:35 AM
No interiors yet, but they will be posted here soon.

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 9:32 AM
Hi attuned, my two cents

I would prefer 2 dormers as well, I think. And larger windows. And leave those two houses connected, that gap doesn't help imo. I attached some screenshots to support my point You could also give that appendix a flat roof with some roof lights and make it look even more like an appendix.

As for the name, I like Artlandoo. Or maybe Artsymal? Artsymall if there is a shop, too? :P
Screenshots
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 5:40 AM
Great work, attuned! I prefer the two buildings attached (without gap) and one dormer with larger windows. Either would work, though, so it may come down to what you prefer. I tend to try to fight my desire to make everything symmetrical. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 5:15 AM
Updates! This is an industrial arts center, using stations from Ambitions.
Main building, art cafe and pieces for consignment
upstairs, artist studio
middle building, sculpting
last building, inventors space
went with large dormer on right, that could change
all 3 buildings are attached, not sure if that works
back yard is messy, still wip, open for suggestions

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#11 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:08 PM
Looks neat, some points though:
-I'd switch the counters and the sculpting thingy, since the counter now sits against a wall-height window.
-If you're going for a single large dormer, switch the sides and maybe place an easel/drawing table looking out of the windows so that they have a view, because now (which has been previously mentioned) the windows look onto a roof.
-Maybe connect the garage with the scultping area, the 2x1 space between the toilet and the front windows would make a nice corridor. I'd think it'd also be more logical to have bathroom access from the inside, too.

Ehh yeah, my 2 cents

#12 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 6:10 PM
I've emerged from the shadows to probably ruin someone's day toss in a few thoughts.

Speaking of shadows...

Possibly more important than the quantity of light, is the ability to control light. For a studio where one is drawing/painting from life, with a live model or an arrangement of objects, light from as few sources (preferably one) as possible would be best. Ideally it would a large bank of windows on the one side of the building that would get the most sunlight. (For most of the world that's the south side.) That would give one the strongest light from one source, which in turn would result in the strongest shadows. (Second best would be windows only on two adjacent walls.) The ability to render shadows is vital to representing a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface. If you have light coming in from three or four sides, the light source becomes ambiguous and the shadows less pronounced and more difficult overall.

Of course, stuff moves. Like the earth and that giant incandescent bulb in the sky, the sun. So you definitely could "chase your light source" using whichever direction is currently the strongest, by blocking out the other directions. Naturally, sunlight poses the issue of providing a consistent light source for only a limited window of time (multiple puns intended)--so shutting it all out and using artificial and well-controlled light is often the best way to go overall. Roman blinds work really well.

Now for a more class room setting where one is not drawing from life or a sculpting studio having controlled light doesn't matter.

So my suggestion for the build? Well, I really like the dormers for the space they provide, but I'd want to studio to have the least sources of light as possible and definitely curtains/blinds to control the light. Personally I'd probably do something silly like have the stairs and restroom up from near the door, put a wall in and have the studio at the back on the ground floor with a 8-tile bank of windows across the back. Toss the gallery upstairs, cause the amount of windows (or shape of the room) you have there doesn't matter as much. (Unless you want to get super preservationist about having your art exposed to harmful UV light. Seriously though, don't hang your watercolors in direct sunlight.) You could even have part of the studio go into the upper floor, walled off from the gallery, and have a giant bank of windows across two floors. You then also have the painting/drawing studio have access to the sink in the sculpting studio, or give it its own sink. Painting can be messy, yo.

So, um, yeah, those are like some thoughts.
Alchemist
#13 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:06 PM
Huh, never really thought of applying the physics of light to the Sims. Never would've thought that I'd read a lecture about it on MTS either.

#14 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:52 PM
It is really fascinating for me to see how other builders think and what kind of details they consider when working on their creations. I always just place some debug lights and that's it

I believe that the sculptures and other art pieces could be presented a bit differently to make it look more like an exhibition. If it is going to be uploaded separately you might make your sims paint something and display it when it is still on the easel so that you can put some paintings not only on the walls but also to the open space. The sculptures could have some "pedestal" under them and could be casted to different materials.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 4:30 AM
You guys have made my head spin a bit- but it's all good. Thank- you!

Simmy, yes, I agree about the buildings being attached. I tried one dormer. I like it, but Johnny seems to think simmies need a better view, so I should move it to the left.

Johnny, yes, agree with all you said. Every time I change something, per someone's suggestion, there is of course a chain reaction of things that now need to be changed. The 2 buildings on the right were connected through the bathroom, when Norn suggested adding a shower because using the inventor's station can cause a sim to ignite. Then when the front windows changed to full glass, I changed the bathroom's wall, but not the doors, so sims now have to run around the building to use the shower, so someone is gonna die. Kinda funny that the bathroom door is now outside. I'll reconfigure that and the counters in the sculpting area, which suffered the same issue because of the new windows.

cutsocks- love the discussion of light, and as a fellow theater kid, love the dramatic flair with which you present it. What you bring up is something I was talking about. That would be an interesting discussion, balancing aesthetic with design, realism with sim-ism, something looking beautiful with being practical in game. I am shallow and usually go for form over function, as long as the in-game experience doesn't suffer. After all, we are designing for sims, especially if we share the download. And sims are... not smart.

Crowkeeper- I agree, I love these discussions. Each creator picks out a different aspect to focus on, so fun! I will work on the gallery. I love your idea about the pedestals and easels. Someone posted a lot that contained all of the pictures sims can paint in game. I have to see if I still have it. I wonder if moo will let you add a sim-painted painting to an easel?

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#16 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:31 AM
Good progress! I would like to see the portion most to the right more "connected" to the other parts. Maybe adjust the roof(s) or move that portion forward a space or two. I agree about the counter / window. Perhaps you don't need the "L" part of the cabinets. Or, change/eliminate that/those windows. Also, if you eliminate the shower, you could have an entrance into the bathroom from outside and inside. Of course, sims get grubby digging in the trash piles so, maybe some re-adjusting of the bathroom would be good. Egad, I've never had anyone catch on fire from the inventing station but I don't use it that much! I'm not sure about that one tile wide access into the garage near that left most bathroom. At least, I think that is what that is? I think you'll have to rework the windows in the front, as you said. I've read that sim-created items don't transfer well during an upload but I've never tried it. Perhaps someone else can help more with that.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 6:03 AM
Update- let me know what you think
building 1 has two, less wide dormers
building 3 has new roof, which do you like (pic 1 and 2)?
gallery has been decluttered, still would like to add more charm
upstairs studio has new lights and blinds and sink
building 2 was rearranged
access to restroom from building 2 and 3 now
last pic is lot by joolster (exchange) of all sims paintings

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 7:43 PM
Getting there, the exteriour looks much better now! I prefer roofing in pic 2. Some more suggestions:

Is it possible to make the first floor accessible from inside? So that visitors don't have to go around the building and over that messy yard.

Placing so many exhibits next to each other makes it hard for the single art pieces to stand out. Usually they have more space, are placed on fake walls or are separated by fences. Sticking to a particular theme for certain areas and group them by whatever common feature they might have might also help making it feel more real.
Scholar
#19 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 2:05 AM
Great work! I too like roof # 2 better.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 4:45 AM
Thanks Simmy!

Norn- I did remove half the art work, but I think I discovered the problem. This lot was not made to be used in this way, so it is a bit like putting a square peg in a round hole. The idea of the lot is to be an industrial arts workspace- a place for the ambitions sculpting and inventing stations. Then I wanted to add the consignment register, and it seemed like a good idea to have a small gallery, with a cafe. I think I will take out all the artwork, except one piece for each artist's space: sculpture, metal work and painting. This way it can be a "showcase" of sorts, and not so cluttered. As for the first floor access, I assume you mean to get to the artist studio on the top floor? Originally, the door was inside. I moved it to the back so artists could use it, but not so many random sims would happen by. I can move it back inside, or clean up the back yard. I will post some options for the back next time. Thanks!

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 2:07 AM
new gallery image

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#22 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 4:13 PM
Actually looks inviting, and a tad minimalistic.

#23 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 2:38 AM
Hey Johhny! Thanks- but it has changed at least four more times. I should post some new pics.

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 6:06 AM
and here they are

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#25 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 8:40 PM
Ooh, very nice! I’m still not sure about the roof on the right section but I don’t have a better suggestion. I love the inside! My only thought would be to swap the center easel for some sort of object/prop to be what all the artists are painting like in an art class.

Page 1 of 2