Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 9:19 PM
Default Chrome Extension to Skip TSR Download time
Hey! Saw this on tumblr a few days ago, thought the MTS community might want it; https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...chrome-ntp-icon
It skips the TSR Download wait time c: Yes, it works.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 11:00 PM
Somebody actually made a plugin for this? That's dedication.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 11:31 PM
I know ads are annoying. But if you actually like the websites that offer this content... you really should allow ads through.
Hosting a website is not cheap, and they don't ask for paid subscriptions. It is the least you can do to contribute what you can in order to keep the sites functioning.
If you DO absolutely hate the ads and the waiting, you may want to at least consider contributing to the sites such as this one or TSR just to keep them alive.
Nothing is forever, and it would be sad to lose these type of sites because people did not want to wait 10 seconds for their download.

ETA:
If you have very little money. At the very least, do not block ads. But here is some helpful information that can keep sites like this one alive.
http://modthesims.info/donate.php

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Inventor
#4 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 1:00 AM Last edited by VentusMatt : 7th Jan 2016 at 5:37 AM.
There's a difference between allowing ads and bloating the site with them to the point of breaking your browser, besides with all those adds on every page do they really need to make their users wait 10 seconds for a download?

Check out my Simblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
I know ads are annoying. But if you actually like the websites that offer this content... you really should allow ads through.
Hosting a website is not cheap, and they don't ask for paid subscriptions. It is the least you can do to contribute what you can in order to keep the sites functioning.
If you DO absolutely hate the ads and the waiting, you may want to at least consider contributing to the sites such as this one or TSR just to keep them alive.
Nothing is forever, and it would be sad to lose these type of sites because people did not want to wait 10 seconds for their download.

ETA:
If you have very little money. At the very least, do not block ads. But here is some helpful information that can keep sites like this one alive.
http://modthesims.info/donate.php

This is not for ads... Its the 10sec download wait :/
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 5:39 AM
If you're worried about "not supporting the creators" with blocking ads, you can whitelist certain sites so you still support them with the ads
Instructor
#8 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I would guess the 10 sec download wait is similar to the traffic lights on the highway on-ramp during rush hour. It is to prevent server bottleneck and crash. So... if everyone start using this extension, it'll eventually lead to poor server bandwith response, speed, and may eventually lead to a server crash.

(It is the same reason MTS has a 30 sec wait time between searches)

If everyone is waiting the exact same 10 seconds for their download to start, how is that any different from everyone waiting 0 seconds? Downloads will be happening at the same rate either way. If that's really TSR's logic behind it I'll be slightly disappointed.

It's probably just to bug users in to paying for premium. A lot of websites and programs do that. (Looking at you, Winrar...)
dodgy builder
#10 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesammy58
If everyone is waiting the exact same 10 seconds for their download to start, how is that any different from everyone waiting 0 seconds? Downloads will be happening at the same rate either way. If that's really TSR's logic behind it I'll be slightly disappointed.

It's probably just to bug users in to paying for premium. A lot of websites and programs do that. (Looking at you, Winrar...)

It's probably the same way I'm such a fast cashier in my grocery store, sometimes I have have to wait for the comp to prevent it from crashing. Patience is hard, but needed sometimes.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 1:23 PM
Quote:
Maybe a MTS admin can explain this. They use the same thing on their search engine for 30 seconds.

That's likely an anti-spam feature.

As for TSR I would say their 10 / 60 second timmers are not for spam, but rather a feature to encourage users to send money. It also acts as a downloadeder deterrent. They deter me because I don't want to be punished for using an ad blocker on their site.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 2:50 PM
It works!

I need this for Firefox now
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VentusMatt
There's a difference between allowing adds and bloating the site with them to the point of breaking your browser, besides with all those adds on every page do they really need to make their users wait 10 seconds for a download?

^This. That's a the main reason I stopped using TSR altogether. Ads are one thing but they go waaaay beyond overboard with theirs. It's obnoxious, so I'll glady take the wait time they give me for using ad blocker.

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#14 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
Nothing is forever, and it would be sad to lose these type of sites because people did not want to wait 10 seconds for their download.[/URL]

When you turn ad blocker off on TSR, each page is literally just adds. Ads on both sides of the content pages, ads on top, ads on the bottom, ads mixed in with the downloads. And the ads aren't just simple pictures. Most of them are super intrusive in some way. Many of them will have a little popup box that slides across your screen just as your about to click on something. There are also about 2 video ads that are on auto play at all times. Not to mention some of the ads have been proven harmful in the past.

Sorry, but my ad blocker is staying on, especially on websites like TSR. Any website that forcefully shoves 10 ads down my throat at any given time isn't getting any of my money in any way.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 5:52 PM
:lovestruc My browser no longer cries when I go onto that website, thanks for sharing!
Theorist
#16 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VentusMatt
There's a difference between allowing adds and bloating the site with them to the point of breaking your browser, besides with all those adds on every page do they really need to make their users wait 10 seconds for a download?

Not just the (amount of) ads, not just the waiting time, but my main problem: there are ads hijacking and/or redirecting your browser to another page, on regular basis.

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I would guess the 10 sec download wait is similar to the traffic lights on the highway on-ramp during rush hour. It is to prevent server bottleneck and crash. So... if everyone start using this extension, it'll eventually lead to poor server bandwith response, speed, and may eventually lead to a server crash.

(It is the same reason MTS has a 30 sec wait time between searches)

I also want to point out, it might be a mistake advertising it here. I'm sure some TSR developers are also MTS members and when they discover this extension, they can easily detect it and ban any members who use it.

Incomparable, the waiting time at traffics lights (when set on time and not on the existing traffic) and on MTS searches start at zero right after the last session is done, the countdown of downloads at TSR only starts after you click on the downloading button and after the loading of all its ads on the download page, basically minimal waiting time of 11-12 seconds, based on your internet speed. It's not like when I wait for at least ten seconds before clicking on download, that the download starts right away, but I still have to wait those additional minimal 10 seconds.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
When you turn ad blocker off on TSR, each page is literally just adds. Ads on both sides of the content pages, ads on top, ads on the bottom, ads mixed in with the downloads. And the ads aren't just simple pictures. Most of them are super intrusive in some way. Many of them will have a little popup box that slides across your screen just as your about to click on something. There are also about 2 video ads that are on auto play at all times. Not to mention some of the ads have been proven harmful in the past.

Sorry, but my ad blocker is staying on, especially on websites like TSR. Any website that forcefully shoves 10 ads down my throat at any given time isn't getting any of my money in any way.

Sadly, I dont know if this will remove the 60-second adblock timer. I'll go test that out
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 12:25 AM
Yes, everyone, it skips the 60 second timer as well! You can use this in conjunction with adblock. Finally, my computer wont be so bogged down by using TSR!
Scholar
#19 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 3:23 AM
I know! Isn't it wonderful? I had my doubts when I installed it but now it's become my new best friend. I'm just scared the TSR staff will find a way to remove it from the Chrome store using legal action. :s

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 3:48 AM
With the extension I'm still getting a 10 second delay which is no big deal in addition with Ad Block Plus + Hide My Ad Blocker extensions, navigating TSR isn't so bad anymore.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 3:52 AM
Still getting the 10 second delay as well.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 4:40 AM
After restarting Chrome and surfing around a little bit, the delay had disappeared for me.
It just seemed strange that it took so long to start working.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 11:24 AM
I can deal with the wait, the problem I have with downloads from TSR for Sims 4 is that it always opens up as a SimPE file. I have no idea what I did to start that. THAT takes time because the program loads slowly and there's a delay before I can x out everything I need to.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#24 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I can deal with the wait, the problem I have with downloads from TSR for Sims 4 is that it always opens up as a SimPE file. I have no idea what I did to start that. THAT takes time because the program loads slowly and there's a delay before I can x out everything I need to.

Do you mean a .package file? It shouldn't be opening anything when it downloads. All you have to do is drag it to your mods folder.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 2:25 AM
You can remove file associations and tell specific downloads to not automatically open.

As for the extension the 10 second delay has returned. Like I said that's no big deal for me, but I would still only get a short delay like that without the extension as well since you can hide your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3