Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Mighty Mansard Redux! - Store Edit & More - UPDATED

by Qahne Posted 17th May 2014 at 4:29 PM - Updated 29th Nov 2019 at 2:16 PM by Qahne

81 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 44 Feedback Posts, 36 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#26 Old 18th May 2014 at 4:09 PM
It will better the community as a whole.
Test Subject
#27 Old 18th May 2014 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Qahne
The rest of the Second Empire set is still WIP - I will probably release them before the month is over, but no promises!

The column and porch fence are ready to go, the double window needs remapping, the privacy window and door need retexturing, and I haven't even started on the bay window yet. I'm also going to ask Leefish if I can convert her wonderful add-ons, too, so expect a couple more Second Empire sets out of me before The Sims 4 comes out.

Yay, I'm bookmarking you on top level on my Google preferences. (I'm not usually using so much CC, now having under 10 authors, bunch of my OBJD overrides for game stuff and beautifull near-complete NRaas collection).
Is there some way to make EA's "forgotten fence" no-posts-on-each-tile version? Some porch fences in game are already working by this way. Posts on "forgotten iron fence" are so huge and it would be nice to have posts ex.: on each 2 or 3 tiles on building.
And damnit, I hate that EA marketed it as a colonial mansion - all over the Sims 3 sphere I seem to see people calling their own Second Empire builds "colonial style", when the style only came about in the US in the 1850s, a generation after the colonial era ended! Gah, my obsession with art history gets the better of me sometimes

For this you have felt need to make this set and we are happy for this (even one my friend, who usually don't uses CC - maybe will beginns with yours). I disagree too that EA's set is marketed as ColonialMansionSET (but I'm using where I can for my game package form due to launcher issues and I rarely remember another than Sims3Pack name).
Have a marvelous evening!
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th May 2014 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bily jednorozec
Is there some way to make EA's "forgotten fence" no-posts-on-each-tile version? Some porch fences in game are already working by this way. Posts on "forgotten iron fence" are so huge and it would be nice to have posts ex.: on each 2 or 3 tiles on building.

If you were to alter the Forgotten Ironwork Fence so that it doesn't place the posts at every tile, the arch effect wouldn't work because of the way that fences operate in the game. I'm trying to edit the fence into an object instead, like the Arch Zilbert and Fence Zilbert from The Sims Unleashed; that way, it fits snugly over two tiles, and you still get the neat arch effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#29 Old 18th May 2014 at 11:35 PM
Thanks a fucking lot. Now I can start on 2nd Empire again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 19th May 2014 at 1:41 PM
Ha ha! So fast ah, good, thank you!
Forum Resident
#31 Old 20th May 2014 at 10:30 AM
I'm having an issue, which is, when I try to place the pieces, I'm getting a "ceiling too low" message. If I remove the floor tiles I'm using to cover the flat roof/floor, the piece appears. If I replace the tile, the piece disappears. I'm using the revised solid object version, if that helps.
Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 20th May 2014 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
I'm having an issue, which is, when I try to place the pieces, I'm getting a "ceiling too low" message. If I remove the floor tiles I'm using to cover the flat roof/floor, the piece appears. If I replace the tile, the piece disappears. I'm using the revised solid object version, if that helps.

The large object version? I've only encountered the "ceiling too low" message when trying to place the pieces indoors. I'll see if I can replicate the issue, and mess with the bounding box so that it's at wall-height. Just as an FYI, you need to reload the save game after placing a large object for it to show when the lot is in low detail mode. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#33 Old 21st May 2014 at 12:03 AM
I love you for this.
Test Subject
#34 Old 23rd May 2014 at 2:00 PM
Firstly, thanks for this Qahne! My Goths are loving their new home!

One small issue I've ran into however, is whenever I load up the game and play a household with these roof pieces, they're visible on whatever floor I am on. So when I'm on the ground floor, the roof pieces hover above. I've found that if i go into buy mode and delete them and press undo, it solves the problem. Of course I have to do this every time I load the game.

It's not a big issue and doesn't stop me using the roof piece, I just thought I'd mention it. I didn't know if this was intentional or had affected anybody else
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd May 2014 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *Morbid*
Firstly, thanks for this Qahne! My Goths are loving their new home!

One small issue I've ran into however, is whenever I load up the game and play a household with these roof pieces, they're visible on whatever floor I am on. So when I'm on the ground floor, the roof pieces hover above. I've found that if i go into buy mode and delete them and press undo, it solves the problem. Of course I have to do this every time I load the game.

It's not a big issue and doesn't stop me using the roof piece, I just thought I'd mention it. I didn't know if this was intentional or had affected anybody else

You're welcome! I'm just glad so many of you enjoy my simple edits to this set. Yeah, that's a problem inherent with objects flagged as Large Objects - they're visible anywhere, including in low detail view, which is why they're handy. There's another version of this set (listed as "Standard Object" in the download tab) that will disappear when you're on a different floor, but this also means they disappear when your lot isn't active - this annoys a lot of people, as does having the roof visible at all times, so that's why I've provided you with two options Sorry if the download page wasn't clear enough on the distinction between the two, but now you know!

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Test Subject
#36 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:05 AM
If you were to alter the Forgotten Ironwork Fence so that it doesn't place the posts at every tile, the arch effect wouldn't work because of the way that fences operate in the game. I'm trying to edit the fence into an object instead, like the Arch Zilbert and Fence Zilbert from The Sims Unleashed; that way, it fits snugly over two tiles, and you still get the neat arch effect.

Thank you very much, Qahne, I really love what you have done with this set. Looking forward for yours part 2.
I've only now opened my game (I have still whole folder up-down due to searching "betterings" for it and more oftenly opening another programs) and I've looked at Supernatural porch fence and this from Roaring Heights. Those fences aren't making this high fence-post on each tile and I'm sorry that I'm not understanding, how to meshing.
Don't worry about it and thank you for yours mansard set. :lovestruc
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 9:58 AM
thank you human =3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#38 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 6:51 PM
thank you so much for this
Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 3:13 AM Last edited by Qahne : 30th Jun 2014 at 3:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bily jednorozec
(I have still whole folder up-down due to searching "betterings" for it and more oftenly opening another programs) and I've looked at Supernatural porch fence and this from Roaring Heights. Those fences aren't making this high fence-post on each tile and I'm sorry that I'm not understanding, how to meshing.):lovestruc

Are you talking about the porch fence in my pictures or the cresting on top? The porch fence isn't included in this set, it's in my Part 2!

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Smeg Head
#40 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 4:48 PM
Here's a helpful trick to make "large objects" such as car parking spaces, the big science project machine from Uni and indeed these roof objects vanish when going up and down floors. If you haven't already got yourself the excellent OMSP from Granthes here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=428179 then get one. Next place down the OMSP where you want the roof segment to go, then place the roof segment on the OMSP. Now watch the big objects disappear when you go up and down floors, remaining visible only when you are on the same floor as OMSP-Object combination...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#41 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 7:57 PM
You are an absolute star!! xxx
Field Researcher
#42 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:09 AM
Default Me too
I am having this issue too.

Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
Instructor
THANKS POST
#43 Old 2nd Jan 2015 at 12:07 AM
Wow, just tried this out and it works MUCH better than the Store version. Well done!
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 6:37 PM
Is there any chance of getting the other interior windows in a future update?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 4th May 2015 at 7:58 AM
This is such a great addition to my game! I am so happy I stumbled upon it, and I'm actually now able to recreate my town.
Scholar
Original Poster
#46 Old 7th May 2015 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hsouc
Is there any chance of getting the other interior windows in a future update?

Is there a chance? Well, there's a reason why I only made that one window usable - the way the dormers from the Store are built means that my method of making them functional won't work at all (they're not square, they curve along with the roofline, so you'd see massive gaps along the bottom). As for the small, round dormer, I really don't think there's much to gain from making that functional, since it's so small, and is meant mainly as a decorative item rather than an actual window (see examples in the download post and of windows of the same style in real buildings - most of them are too low on the roofline to be useful as actual windows). I am probably going to upload the stuff you can see in the preview pictures that I haven't uploaded yet (the porch fencing, the columns, maybe the M&G door and bay window if I can get them working again, I lost all my work in progress files a couple months ago), but don't expect it to happen anytime soon, since I have a few projects I'm currently working on and I'm going to get very busy at work in a couple of months.

TL;DR: Sorry, there's not really much chance that I'm going to make interior windows for the other dormers, but there will probably be a part two to this Second Empire collection...eventually.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#47 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 8:28 PM
Amazing work..stunning meshes..no doubt..I had a question though about using these at an angle. Diagonally the rounded corners fit the right hand side of the roof and the 90 degree corners only fit the left side of diagonally angled rooms. So..is there a trick to getting them to lock up correctly? I tried Granthes OMSP to trick the game into allowing me to fit them and the OSMP refused to set down..I thought I had figured it out but no dice. Thankyou again though..these are so lovely its worth having to build all rooms straight forward.
Scholar
Original Poster
#48 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tickledpink
Amazing work..stunning meshes..no doubt..I had a question though about using these at an angle. Diagonally the rounded corners fit the right hand side of the roof and the 90 degree corners only fit the left side of diagonally angled rooms. So..is there a trick to getting them to lock up correctly? I tried Granthes OMSP to trick the game into allowing me to fit them and the OSMP refused to set down..I thought I had figured it out but no dice. Thankyou again though..these are so lovely its worth having to build all rooms straight forward.

I've never tried to use them that way, I don't think there is a way to get them to line up correctly on diagonal rooms. EA never provided diagonal meshes, and since these are only Store edits, I didn't have anything to edit on that front. I haven't played TS3 in a while so I don't think I'll be going back to these to make diagonal versions. but you can use my files as a base for that if you want to take it on! It's easier than it seems, I promise

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#49 Old 4th Nov 2015 at 4:15 AM
amazing!
Theorist
THANKS POST
#50 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 9:15 PM
Qahne you want to know something really funny? I've had a lot in my game for years just waiting for these to be able to finish it. Thank you!
Page 2 of 4