Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#26 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 7:55 PM
^ ^ Yeah, I kinda suspected that.
Practicality is everything huh?

And no, I myself would never use any EAxian hood now. (Apart from the WA ones)
The fact that each hood contains no deco from other EP's means that custom hoods have a distinct advantage in terms of variety.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#27 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 10:21 PM
I like Riverview, since there are more places where a fairy or an alien can move into the outskirts of town and have nobody near them. (Unless I drop houses on all the other nearby lots instead of just adding a lot of scenery to them.)

I also like the lot in Sunset Valley near the lake, where you can go collect gems in your yard every day. (I really wish it would be that simple in real life. Wander over to the lake and pick up some fruit and veggies that were growing wild; collect the gems that your yard grew like they were mushrooms and send the good ones off to be cut; and spend the rest of the day doing whatever you want to.)

I have a lot of custom worlds, but the one I'm waiting for isn't finished yet.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#28 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 1:19 AM
I don't really play anything *but* Sunset Valley. I do have an emptied version - though I ended up keeping most of the main community lots in their original places - but I like it. I find that everything is relatively close, and I'm so used to it that I never have to sit and stare at the map for an hour trying to find the place I want to go. I like a lot of the user-made worlds I've seen, but most of them require things I don't have/want to download, or are just very large packages that my computer would probably reject/blow up at the sight of.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 1:30 AM
Nine times out of ten I'll play in Riverview. After I finish my legacy up I'm going to try playing in other towns and doing legacies there. =]
Mad Poster
#30 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 2:04 AM
I've stopped playing EA worlds. Custom worlds offer more variety in terms of content. With standard EA worlds you are limited to the content which came with the pack that the world was designed for. In other words, Sunset Valley was designed for the Base game, thus only base game objects are available by default. With custom worlds restrictions such as that do not exist, therefor you're given more freedom, more content, and (sometimes, not always) better quality overall.

As of now though, I'm currently obsessed with "Aspen Islands" created by Miuki. This world has everything I would really need. A residential district featuring a more suburban layout, an industrial district including those "apartments" that came with LN, a commercial district featuring your typical town houses and rabbit holes, and a small rural district featuring some nicely built cottages and farms. Plus this world offers expansion for the lots and rabbit holes that come with Pets EP.

Aspen Islands can be found here on MTS, just search for it if you're longing to try it out.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:06 PM
This sounds like an incredibly useful world for people making lots and CAW enabled items. I agree about the straight roads.

Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
I spend most of my time in a neighborhood I call "Testview", which consists of a completely flat piece of featureless land marked by a 4-road square and lots haphazardly stapled on.

I use it because it loads lightning fast since there's nothing in it, and therefore, is ideal for my purposes. Plus, it is grid-aligned and orthogonal, thus making sure everything I opt to plop in it fits neatly, unlike most other neighborhoods where people have an allergy to straight lines and grid alignment, so nothing can be placed anywhere.

My current project is "How to get road addresses to actually save in some form".
Mad Poster
#32 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 2:41 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 19th Oct 2011 at 4:25 PM.
I've played all the EA worlds, but like Sunset Valley, Riverview and Barnacle Bay the best.
Riverview is a podunk, so it doesn't matter to me that it doesn't have some of the later EP features. That's its charm. In Sunset Valley, I like how the town sits above the beach with houses and building lots on the bluffs, and I also like the waterfall area. I usually add one or two dance clubs. I don't play celebrities which fits in with the small town feel of these worlds.
I've tried custom worlds, but find them too big or with too much stuff. The only one I regularly play is Riverblossom Hills.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:11 PM
I alternate between them all, but for some reason I like Sunset Valley a lot.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 6:35 PM
I play a lotted and cribbed Sunset Valley since forever, I haven't even bothered to add Ambitions and Late Night lots to it yet, since that means I'd have to delete some houses and famblies.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 7:07 PM
I stopped playing Sunset Valley as soon as Riverview came out and I got tired of playing with the Goths, I stopped playing Riverview as soon as I got Twinbrook, and now I play Glendalough, which is a custom world that is on Garden of Shadows. It's the first custom world I've been able to actually play without it lagging my game, and I'm populating it with my own Sims and Sims from another cool custom world called Grey Meadow Island from the Exchange. I think once I get Pets I'll play Appaloosa Plains for a bit, but it will probably end up being ignored like Bridgeport.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 7:42 PM
I usually play (= try out) every new EA world that comes out (Barnacle Bay and Hidden Springs being exceptions) just to see if they've gotten better at designing worlds/buildings/interiors and also to test if there's any bugs. Obviously I always go back to some quality custom world after a certain time, usually to one that has the stuff from the most recent expansion pack included.

The main reason I play custom worlds is the landscape. EA's landscapes look more or less like "a bush... big empty field... two trees... empty field... a stone... huge empty field... another bush...".
Whereas custom worlds tend to have lots of detail and variety, both cityscape and landscape-wise, with a realistic and natural feel. Currently most notably seen in Jasumi's and Ouerbacker's worlds.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 2:45 AM
If I do play them, usually it's empty versions of them, because one of the patches made my game super slow/laggy unless I play in an almost-empty neighborhood... But I have at least one savegame in non-empty Riverview that I don't wanna get rid of, but it's so slow, but I don't want to kill all the sims either... Maybe Pets will make it faster
Forum Resident
#38 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 2:50 AM
I play Sunset Valley all the time. I've never really played Riverview all that much. I just don't like any of the other worlds as much. Right now, though, I'm playing a legacy in Hidden Springs, so that's where I've put most of my attention. Sunset Valley, though, will always be my favorite.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Forum Resident
#39 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:44 AM
Yes, I do play the older EA neighborhoods... Right now I'm using Sunset Valley, actually (I usually only play one game at a time).

I used to be ADDICTED to Bridgeport, but now I'm indifferent towards it. But I do like Sunset Valley... I like making my Sims stylists to spruce the town up, hehe.

I remember playing Riverview and liking it a lot, but it's not downloaded on my current comp and I'm not sure about how long it will take to download, so I'm not bothering until maybe the weekend or something.
Test Subject
#40 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:51 AM
I tried to like Bridgeport, but subways were more of a pain to me then anything. Felt like it took my sims longer to get across town. And hated my sims always wanting to live in a high-rise instead of that nice roomy house I made them. >.<

But Riverview was my favorite sims town when I first got it. I liked the townhouses and being able to walk into the town. And most of the pre-made sims there were pretty interesting.

Sunset Valley isn't too bad. I go back to it a lot, just because I know where everything is and what lot is the "best" one, etc.

I've never played a non-EA world. Some have looked quite amazing, It's just, I get enough bizarre bugs as it is in Sims 3, don't want to make any more occur.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:43 PM
When I do play Sunset Valley I play version 3.1 created by Naga. It has the lots for Ambitions and Late Night Added, plus you can get an update for Generations, which adds a nice playground to the park in the middle of town. I hope that there is also an update for Pets made to it. Its on another forum though, but you can google "naga sims 3" and find it easily.
Instructor
#42 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 10:56 PM
I still like Twinbrook and Sunset Valley. Bridgeport is nice but it has annoying performance issues.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 11:07 PM
I play in all of the EA worlds except for Riverview. I just never found much to love in it, and I prefer Sunset Valley's residents (and the gorgeous coastline), Twinbrook's unique flavor, and Bridgeport's liveliness. I don't have Pets, but Appaloosa Plains doesn't look as appealing to me.
Test Subject
#44 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 7:20 PM
I usually play Appaloosa Plains or Twinbrook after TS3P came out, but lately I've just had this urge to go back to Sunset Valley...
Field Researcher
#45 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 10:16 PM
I'm currently playing Red Desert. I'm trying to build up the town gradually through the generations of my new legacy. So far the only rabbit holes I've put down are a military base, a roadside diner/rest stop and a science lab.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 11:32 PM
Yeah, Sunset Valley's kind of my default world. My legacy is in Sunset Valley, but at the same time revamped enough so that I don't get bored. ^_^
I didn't like Twinbrook... never played Riverview (Need to though!).
Love Bridgeport, but it's too big and hard for my computer to handle. Going from one end of the world to the other is terrible... sometimes I'll just have my sim sleep at the gym or something if they're too far from home (or cheat and teleport, but sometimes even that takes too long). :/

Looking forward to Appaloosa Planes. I've had Pets since it came out, but haven't had the chance to play it because of school. I'm crossing my fingers that it's good. I might start a new game there.

I don't download worlds because I haven't used the EA's enough and I already have tons of places I need to explore already. :P
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 1:40 AM
It seems like I'm the only one playing Hidden Springs. I do play sunset Valley sometimes. I like the lot sizes and layout in Hidden Springs the best. I have had to do a lot of remodeling of some of the buildings though.
Scholar
#48 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 3:13 AM
I play SV, Riverview, Appaloosa Plains & Twinbrook.

My legacy is in Sunset Valley. I also gave it a major makeover so I play there frequently. I open Riverview when I need a big sprawling lot to build on then I move a family in to test it out...so technically I guess I do play it now and again.

I had Hidden Springs installed less than 48 hours. The issues with it drove me nutz so I dumped it. The camera movement around the high rises in Bridgeport makes my head spin and I don't care at all for the vampires so I never go to that world.
Test Subject
#49 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:37 AM
At this point I can say it's been years since I've touched Riverview(Feels like it only just came out yesterday, oh how time flies....). I still go back to Sunset Valley on occasion, but it just feels so outdated now. I'm still using the original one, so maybe that's why.

Before Pets I mostly played Barnacle Bay and Bridgeport, I actually really love how simple Barnacle Bay feels and loved how Bridgeport seems to have everything. Right now I'm playing in Appaloosa Plains, it's nice but I still feel like it's missing some things....like a nice park for sims and not pets. I haven't touched Twinbrook since Ambitions came out, but a lot of people seem to like it so maybe I'll have to give it a look again. And Hidden Springs..well, it was real nice, but didn't really have anything that made me want to keep playing there.

I should really give some player made worlds a try(or maybe make one myself), there's some real beautiful ones out there.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 12:23 PM
I never liked Sunset Valley with its bright green grass that makes my eyes explode. I also don't play Riverview. As for EA towns, I really like Twinbrook, and i used to play it and customize it to my taste and needs, untill I installed Gens and my savegame won't load for some reason. Besides, Twinbrook has too little space, that's bad. Appaloosa Plains in also a nice (and unique) world. EA has improved their world-building skills a lot since SV.
However, I like custom worlds, because they feature decor from all EPs. As for now, my faves are Aspen Islands and Grey Meadow.
Page 2 of 4