Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:11 PM
There's one thing I really don't understand.
Why does it seem that so many people hate or dislike Country music? I absolutely love country, and I can't imagine living without it; I love the lyrics, the beat, the sound, everything! Sure, it has quite a few sad songs, and a LOT of twang, but is that really so bad?

It seems a lot of people say "Cause it's shit." and leave it at that. Then they go to listen to Eminem, T-Pain, whoever the hell the other modern-day rappers are. Which, in my honest opinion, is straight irony.

So for those who dislike country, I ask, exactly why do you dislike it?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:41 PM
If you like something I'm not sure why you care if other people dislike it, but since you asked... I like some of the old country music like Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard etc. but to my ears the newer country music all sounds the same and the singers have good but boring voices.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:47 PM
I don't dislike all of it, some of it is ok, but it's not my kind of music. Mainly I don't like the sound. It's often quite high-pitched and a bit warbly.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 12:15 AM Last edited by pare321 : 30th Dec 2010 at 12:33 AM.
I like 70s country and bluegrass.

It really does seem like there are some "extremes" that people just don't listen to together or at all. I don't get it either.

But I like all of that shit.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Alchemist
#5 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 10:57 AM
I don't like country, but I listen to it now and then. NOT to Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. NOT.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Helptato
#6 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 4:20 PM
I suppose it's a acquired taste. I don't mind a bit of Taylor Swift, but she hurts my ears after a few songs!

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Inventor
#7 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 4:36 PM
I actually like Eminem, and a bit of country. I tried listening to some country music once after I got into Johnny Cash and found out I liked only certain artists and certain songs. I found some of them a little boring.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 11:26 PM
I dislike country music. To me the song patterns seem too predictable and the sound of the vocals/instruments are boring and/or annoying.

But as with any type of music there are probably a few country songs out there that I would like if I heard them. Never say never!
Scholar
#9 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 9:12 AM
I like sad songs, but country doesn't have the same depth as a lot of other sad songs. To draw on a stereotype, it's "my girlfriend dumped me, stole my truck, and ran over my dog" and that just isn't as interesting. Also, as much as I like, say, a Georgia accent when a person is speaking, singing with a country accent drives me up the wall. I would guess that it's all the choir training I've gotten where they furrow their brows and shake their fingers at you if you don't use tall vowels and crisp consonants. I realize that there are other genres - most genres, in fact - of popular music that don't use proper diction, but country is the worst.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 4:02 PM
Like all types of music, there is good and there is bad. I like some country music, especially the old stuff, and I like some of the newer stuff too. But, I hate the stupid songs and the drinking songs and anything that is specifically designed to hit an emotional nerve (look at my little girl; she was a baby, then a little girl, and now she's getting married and leaving me). Those make my skin crawl. I also don't like the songs intentionally written with such poor grammar as to enforce the stereotype of southerners as stupid. Those make me want to perform violent acts upon the "singers". Furthermore, the twangy songs make me punch holes in my car radio to try to get away from them. I also dislike those where the singer's southern accent distorts the meaning of the song, eg. Garth Brooks singing "We shell be free" instead of we shall be free.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rikachu
Why does it seem that so many people hate or dislike Country music? I absolutely love country, and I can't imagine living without it; I love the lyrics, the beat, the sound, everything! Sure, it has quite a few sad songs, and a LOT of twang, but is that really so bad?

It seems a lot of people say "Cause it's shit." and leave it at that. Then they go to listen to Eminem, T-Pain, whoever the hell the other modern-day rappers are. Which, in my honest opinion, is straight irony.

So for those who dislike country, I ask, exactly why do you dislike it?

Different strokes for different folks, it sounds you started this thread just to rant. Do you really think that everyone goes into such sophisticated detail on why they don't like a certain genre of music? They're entitled to think country music is shit just as much as you're entitled to think rap is shit (I'll admit I agree with you on that). It's really a matter of opinion of what's good and what isn't, rather than of actual fact.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Jan 2011 at 2:30 AM
I don't care for most country music, despite it being popular where I'm from.

However I do like that "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" song by Trace Adkins. xD
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Jan 2011 at 2:49 AM
To me it all sounds the same, that's the same reason why I don't like rap.
It just... isn't appealing to me, personally.
Also, most of the (male) country singers I hear, have that.. tone to their voice. I can't really describe it, but that's not really my cup of tea either.. haha, but I don't go around saying "ohh country music sucks, blahblahblah"

You gonna do something killer?
C'mon give it a try...
Theorist
#14 Old 9th Jan 2011 at 3:21 AM
I like pretty much all music except for rap, heavy metal and teeny pop singers (Bieber, etc.) I'll listen to Gaga, The Beatles, Celtic Women, Coldplay, Owl City, etc. I'm quite eclectic. I tend not to listen to country in large amounts compared to other genres but I still like it, all the southern accents wear down on me! Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton, Lady Antebellum, and Rascal Flatts are my favorite country singers/groups.

Hi I'm Paul!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 9th Jan 2011 at 5:34 AM
Each one has their own music tastes. I really don't mind listening to it, but I won't choose it at home. Why? It bores me. I could listen to a couple of songs, but I find it boring.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 4:34 AM
I personally believe it lost track of itself.

I am all for old school stuff like Chet Atkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Reed type of stuff.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 8:05 AM
Country music <3
Field Researcher
#18 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 1:48 PM
I don't like it because it seems like there's hardly ever any vocal diversity or depth to the melodies. I like music to be dynamic. Country is sort of blah and repetitive. I'm not saying I hate all country, I just don't like the style most of the time. I do like most of Taylor Swift's songs.
Test Subject
#19 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 12:49 AM
I understand you, here in Brazil we have the "universitary country" that's really terrible, but I like the real country music, like Willie Nelson and such, and somre Brazilian singer... that "universitary country" just destroyed the real Brazilian country music.

And there is somethig that I don't understand: my friends love The Beatles, but when I said that I like The Bee Gees, they gone crazy, and said bad things about The Bee Gees and me, but The Bee Gees and The Beatles are from the same tiame, the songs of both are good, and they are very similar in the song style, but they simply do't like The Bee Gees because it's too old.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:20 AM
I'm from Australia, and we don't listen to much country music (Taylor Swift is about as country as we get around here). But I always need to have country music on when I'm in the stables with the horses, even though I don't listen to it at any other time. It just makes me feel happy and like a true cowgirl (Even though I ride English? Haha). I do understand when some people say that it all sounds the same, but so does every genre of music to some degree. Each to their own.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:48 AM
I dislike country because of the over all sound.. also most of the songs I've heard I like I lost my dog, wife, and horse type of songs. I rather list to something with a fast beat that has a happier message.. Oh and I don't like rap either.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 2:17 AM
For the most part, country isn't my cup of tea. → With that being said, Carrie Underwood's Before He Cheats, Shania Twain's You're Still The One, That Don't Impress Me Much + Man I Feel Like a Woman, Lady Antebellum's Need You Now and Gretchen Wilson's Redneck Woman and Here For The Party are definitely tunes I jam to on my iPod every now and then.

As far as rap goes, there are *some* artists I'd jam to: Eminem, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, etc. At the moment, I'm more into New Wave, synthpop, electropop, indie pop stuff - mostly from Sweden (Robyn = WIN!), Canada (LIGHTS!) or the UK (Marina + the Diamonds, Nicola Roberts, Lily Allen, etc).

Like others have said...different strokes, for different folks.

(♪...and so on, and so on, and scooby doobie doobie!)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 2:58 AM
I don't like country. I find it boring. But I don't like rap either. I'm all about rock in its various forms (from folk to metal and everything in between)

Eagles may soar, but bunnies don't get sucked into jet engines
Scholar
#24 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 1:09 AM

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 1:23 AM
Well I don't like opera.
Page 1 of 2