Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

'Let Kids Be Kids' - Lifespan and School Vacation Mods

by Phaenoh Posted 1st Jan 2013 at 2:00 AM - Updated 5th Jul 2014 at 1:52 PM by HugeLunatic

212 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 116 Feedback Posts, 95 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 8 of 9
Test Subject
#176 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 1:02 PM
Where do i put this and do i unzip it? also what is NOBV??
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#177 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 4:18 PM
NOBV mean that you do not have the expansion pack Bon Voyage, commonly abbreviated at BV. And you put it in your regular Downloads folder.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#178 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 12:41 PM
I really like the "Summer vacation Mod" : it's almost the first one that I reinstall each time that my computer crashes ...
Thanks for the idea, realisation, sharing and the clear way in which you explain its creation.
Test Subject
#179 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 2:51 AM
I downloaded an aging mod, with that mod installed, every season will last three days, and the length of the life stages are proportional to the seasons. My question is, if I download the summer break mod, will it conflict with the aging mod I installed?

Thank you.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#180 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 6:57 AM
No, you will have a summer break during your second season. You might have trouble with winter break. I believe that is set to the fourth day and as your seasons are only 3 days long, it either won't ever happen, or it will throw errors.
Test Subject
#181 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
No, you will have a summer break during your second season. You might have trouble with winter break. I believe that is set to the fourth day and as your seasons are only 3 days long, it either won't ever happen, or it will throw errors.

My God! I suppose I will have to uninstall it whenever winter arrives in my game, but I'm glad it will work with the summer break.

Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#182 Old 31st Oct 2015 at 12:50 AM
Hi Phaenoh, I'm really enjoying this lifespan! However, I was wondering if you knew how I would go about changing the rate that my sims fertility declines by with acr? I'm using Acr 2.0 btw
retired moderator
Original Poster
#183 Old 31st Oct 2015 at 1:08 AM
I know nothing about ACR (I don't use it and have never downloaded it) and can't help you, sorry!
Test Subject
#184 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 9:02 PM
Thank's!
I'm just adding, I'm an Australian. I like this mod but am wandering if you will do one based on the Australian system.
No problem if you can't, I'm just asking.
Great mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#185 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 4:46 AM
THIS IS AWESOME! No more Aging Off cheat! THANX!!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#186 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 8:57 PM
This is wonderful. I am using a different aging mod, tho this seems great. But I love the vacation mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#187 Old 14th Jun 2016 at 11:42 AM
Ooh, this is just perfect! I never have enough time with my simmies before they get shipped off by Grim and the hula zombies :( I usually end up just turning aging off via the cheat command, but then I grow too attached and never want them to die. Thanks :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#188 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 3:57 AM
I created a new sim to see this work and was so pleased at how much longer they had to live! I wish I'd started installing custom content when I restarted playing the game a month ago so all the sims I have now would live longer. I'm guessing it doesn't affect the babies of sims already pregnant when I installed the content? That makes sense anyway.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#189 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 5:24 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 16th Aug 2016 at 6:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mwindaji
I created a new sim to see this work and was so pleased at how much longer they had to live! I wish I'd started installing custom content when I restarted playing the game a month ago so all the sims I have now would live longer. I'm guessing it doesn't affect the babies of sims already pregnant when I installed the content? That makes sense anyway.
It will effect EVERY sim's next life stage, so all your kids will live significantly longer, only your elders will miss out.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#190 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 3:20 AM
OMG, thank you for the summer vacation mod! It always bothered me that kids had to go to school all year round. Why didn't I think to look for a mod sooner???
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 11:16 PM
I just installed this mod because I really liked the sound of it, but now that I've installed it, my kids appear to have stopped receiving homework? Immediately after installing, in the first lot I loaded up, a toddler grew into a child and what would've been his first day of school was Winter's Day. On that day, I moved the family into the bin and dropped them into an apartment lot. At the apartment lot it was spring and no bus is arriving for the dumb kid, when he skips school his grade isn't effected, when he goes to school he's not coming home with homework at all, and when he goes to school the next day, his grades aren't effected by the lack of doing homework. (Note: the seasons are oriented correctly to go with this mod, before you ask, "Spring" is the first season in the rotation).

I haven't played that lot into the next season in that lot yet, but I jumped over to another lot and played for a about a whole round of seasons with no kids/infants/toddlers, and now that the oldest kid is grown into a child, it's spring again, and he's not getting any homework either, though his bus is arriving correctly. Thoughts? Should your mod being effecting homework-giving scripts at all? I do have another mod that deal with homework (Cyjon's Harder Homework, which just effects how homework speed as far as I'm aware), and that was working just fine before I installed this mod. Is your mod known to conflict with such mods or something?
Lab Assistant
#192 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kittenn1011
I just installed this mod because I really liked the sound of it, but now that I've installed it, my kids appear to have stopped receiving homework? Immediately after installing, in the first lot I loaded up, a toddler grew into a child and what would've been his first day of school was Winter's Day. On that day, I moved the family into the bin and dropped them into an apartment lot. At the apartment lot it was spring and no bus is arriving for the dumb kid, when he skips school his grade isn't effected, when he goes to school he's not coming home with homework at all, and when he goes to school the next day, his grades aren't effected by the lack of doing homework. (Note: the seasons are oriented correctly to go with this mod, before you ask, "Spring" is the first season in the rotation).

I haven't played that lot into the next season in that lot yet, but I jumped over to another lot and played for a about a whole round of seasons with no kids/infants/toddlers, and now that the oldest kid is grown into a child, it's spring again, and he's not getting any homework either, though his bus is arriving correctly. Thoughts? Should your mod being effecting homework-giving scripts at all? I do have other mods that deal with homework (Cyjon's Harder Homework and Partial Credit), and that was working just fine before I installed this mod. Is your mod known to conflict with such mods or something?

1) Forgot to mention I have partial credit too.
2) After removing your summer vacay mod (but leaving in the other from this thread, imma try taking that out next but I doubt it's the problem), the kids still aren't getting any homework? This was literally the only mod I downloaded that effected any school-related behaviour when the problem started to occur.
3) I do have inTeen, but the load order should have been correct? Is this behaviour I might expect if it did load in the wrong order at some point?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#193 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kittenn1011
2) After removing your summer vacay mod (but leaving in the other from this thread, imma try taking that out next but I doubt it's the problem), the kids still aren't getting any homework? This was literally the only mod I downloaded that effected any school-related behaviour when the problem started to occur.
3) I do have inTeen, but the load order should have been correct? Is this behaviour I might expect if it did load in the wrong order at some point?

From the fact that the problem is still happening without having my mods installed, that tells me that your conflict lies elsewhere. InTeen is known to cause problems with these, and I think we troubleshoot it at one point in the comments. I always recommend the 50-50 method for tracking down a bug. If you can't find your bug, Inge has a desk that provides homework you can download on her site.
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 5:41 PM Last edited by kittenn1011 : 10th Apr 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
From the fact that the problem is still happening without having my mods installed, that tells me that your conflict lies elsewhere. InTeen is known to cause problems with these, and I think we troubleshoot it at one point in the comments. I always recommend the 50-50 method for tracking down a bug. If you can't find your bug, Inge has a desk that provides homework you can download on her site.

I know there are actually a few mods out there that can still affect the game after they've been removed (the one that removed Humble, for example, removes him forever, even if you remove the mod), but yeah, I was pretty sure it wasn't precisely your mods at that point. The fact still remains I didn't download any other mods in that time when the problem popped up, so I also have a hard time thinking it's completely unrelated. I figured it must be inTeen, perhaps a conflict modified a behaviour or something I dunno but I just pulled inTeen out specifically and the problem is /still/ occurring. I'm about to empty the whole downloads folder and do the 50/50 method if everything is fixed after all the cc and mods are gone... thanks for pointing me to Inge's desk, but the grade boost it does isn't to my tastes, so I'll find this conflict and fix the problem if it's the last thing I do, haha!

Anyways, if/when I figure it out, I'll let you know what was up and how reinserting your mod after the problem one has been removed is working for me. Because at least the problem with no busses arriving on the apartment lot was due to summer vacay (+inTeen, it appears, scrolling through the comments? I'll read those more carefully before I insert your mod back in.) Though, considering AL, I can live with no bus and just walk kids to school on lots where it doesn't function correctly. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: Thanks for your help. It was some random mod that I can live without causing the behaviour, though I have had that mod for a while so I have no idea why it only started removing homework after I downloaded your mods. Sorry for bothering you. I can live without schoolbusses if, now that everything except that one mod is back in, for sure in the correct load order this time, I still have on-and-off problems with them.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#195 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 10:51 AM
Thanks for this. I think it's about time for me to give my younger sims a break from school.

Just one thing, If I want to add more days to the winter break, how would I do that? I opened the .package file in SimPE, and is confused about what to change in the BHAVs files.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#196 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 7:02 PM
I used to have the summer vacation mod that went by actual season. I reset some of my downloads, and went looking to find it again when I found yours, and I must say, it didn't even occur to me that certain 'hoods wouldn't have a summer break (having set up an arctic circle-themed 'hood just yesterday). Your idea is much better!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#197 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 11:57 PM
Excellent idea for summer vacation and a winter break! Sorry if this has been asked/addressed already, but if a child is home every day in summer, do I need a nanny then? Parents work all sorts of work rotations. I don't want to hire a nanny for the summer.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#198 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 3:58 PM
You need a nanny on Saturday when the parents work but the kids are home, right? Same thing for the summer.
Alchemist
#199 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 7:47 PM
I'm just wondering whether it would be simple to alter the vacation dialogue pop-ups to say something non-season-specific, such as 'School holidays!" rather than mentioning the season. That would make the mod more versatile.

I'm also wondering whether this mod could easily be altered to have one holiday per season (like TS3), in place of the long vacation?

I will have a look in SimPE later anyway. Thanks for sharing your work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#200 Old 26th May 2018 at 6:30 AM
Hello I love both mods and have been using them for years, thanks so much for sharing this with the community!

I’m interested in lowering the elder agespan and I was wondering how I could edit this mod to do so. Also would the change apply to current elders or only to Sims that haven’t aged up to the age stage? I’m also curious whether I’d have to increase the length of other age stages to make up for the decrease of days in the elder stage...
Page 8 of 9