Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Correlated Skins *5 Year Creator Anniversary*

by Phaenoh Posted 19th Jul 2012 at 4:58 PM - Updated 12th Dec 2017 at 5:31 PM by Phaenoh

259 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 182 Feedback Posts, 76 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 10 of 11
Alchemist
#226 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
As long as my infant hairs load after your regular defaults you should be able to use both. Also, hi! Haven't seen you in a while!

Hi! I have been playing TS3 for the last few years, and barely on MTS at all.

Recently, I finally got the UC, so am back to Sims2, and MTS apparently comes with that. There have been some exciting advances while I was away - so many clever things people have done. Including this.

I have no experience making skins. I can probably use your templates okay, and have found a set of 16 skins that should be good (I am finally considering moving on from HP's Idolatry). I really want freckles on some skins, though, which are not part of the set I like. How hard is it to add things like that? Can I snitch them from another texture?

No doubt I can test that theory. I am having great fun sorting everything out for my 'new' game.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#227 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I have no experience making skins. I can probably use your templates okay, and have found a set of 16 skins that should be good (I am finally considering moving on from HP's Idolatry). I really want freckles on some skins, though, which are not part of the set I like. How hard is it to add things like that? Can I snitch them from another texture?

Convincing freckles are difficult, but a number of creators have taken my templates and made skins with them. I included a table in my post of the ones I know about. You can pick and choose from there, or use most of your 16 and just use a few of others for the freckles, the mix and match ability of this is great.
Alchemist
#228 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 11:10 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 21st Nov 2017 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Fixed!
Indeed. I may have to mix and match a bit more.
I have your textrefs in-game now, and the teen female faces in CAS have gone black. Did anyone find out why this is happening? I am happy to test some options, but no point testing what is already known - if there is anything.

Update...custom skins look fine on the model in CAS, and fine in-game. The CAS thumbnails go black when refreshed.

Default skins - teens have white face on CAS model, white face with text in-game. CAS thumbnails turn black once refreshed. Other ages have mismatched tones - facial skin is darker than body skin. My current defaults are HP's Idolatry, in case that might be any clue.

Using the mirror in-game to change appearance has no effect.

I should try different faces, maybe? Didn't check what face was generated.
And perhaps it is something to do with the texture packages being 'empty'...I can load someone's correlated set and see if that helps.
And I can take out the HP skins and try with Maxis default skins.

Update Taking out my usual skin defaults fixed the mismatched tones, but not the black faces on teen girls.

Taking out your TextRef files, and substituting Vermster's correlated set, worked! Teen girls have faces again, and I can see the skin colour changing when I alter hair colour while maintaining the hair style. Hurrah! In-game, the teen's face is normal again, but the wrong colour for her body. Changing her hairstyle in the mirror did not help, but adding a freckle facemask did make her face and body match again.

So it seems there is something in the Textref files that is wonky for the teens. Maybe the info will be useful.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#229 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 4:06 PM
The mismatch between the body and the face is a common problem with these, and it corrects itself after a skin refresh, so either get her fat or age her up, or use a custom skin refresher object - I think ChrisHatch has one.

That being said, I think there are 2 different problems here, and I don't yet have a solution for the teen girl face being blank problem.
Alchemist
#230 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 1:24 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 23rd Nov 2017 at 5:29 AM. Reason: Found the problem
Default skin conflicting with bodyhair
I made my new S4Black, and created a family using default skins S1-4 Black. Vermster's set is still loaded, apart from the one new file. My package is in the quarantine folder, while Vermsters' are in my defaults folder, in case it has anything to do with load order.

Both the dark sims have paler bodies than they should. One is using Vermster S3Black, the other my new S4Black. Aging them and changing fit/fat states had no effect. The S1/S2 sims look okay, but it could be that I can't see the mismatch on the paler skins.

UPDATE : Found the issue - your male body hair files seem to be conflicting with the skins, which explains why the female sims were unaffected. The S4 body hair causes the S4 sim to have paler body than face. S3 body hair same for S3 male sim. Presumably S1 and S2 sims would be affected too, but those are females in my test family just now.

Without the body hair mod, my new S4Black works just fine!
Lab Assistant
#231 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 3:55 AM
Welp, I'm back. My buhair seems to not be showing up, and I've noticed it's not downloadable from here anymore. Is there something I've missed?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Geisel
"If what you are is just what you own, what have you become when they take from you almost everything?" ~Destroya, My Chemical Romance
Alchemist
#232 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 5:31 AM
Boosterbear, the infant hair is in the first comments post.

It must load after your default skins. Mine is working now.

Phaenoh, having located the issue with the body hair, I realise that you built those files on the EA default skins - hence the colour mismatch! I want the body hair for my men, though, so I'll head over to the tutorial thread and ask how to achieve that.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#233 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 8:55 PM
aelfaed, the body hair isn't a mod, it's just another set of skins like all the others, that's why they 'conflict'. I do think I included a png overlay of the hair in my tutorial thread so you can add that to your skins.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#234 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 9:27 PM
Thanks guys, I don't know what I was thinking. <3
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#235 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 11:27 AM
I finished my set! Only remade most of them two or three times.
However, they now have decent teeth and body hair, and there are only two adult-elder swaps which cause obvious colour-changes.

The skins are Aquilegia's You Are What You Eat, with LovestainedHeart's addons to fill out the number, so everything is the same apart from skin colour and some differences in body hair. I am already wondering whether I want to make another lot, using skins from multiple creators, for even more variety!

Thanks for discovering and sharing this, I think it will be fabulous.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#236 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I finished my set! However, they now have decent teeth and body hair, and there are only two adult-elder swaps which cause obvious colour-changes.
The skins are Aquilegia's You Are What You Eat, with LovestainedHeart's addons to fill out the number, so everything is the same apart from skin colour and some differences in body hair.

If the skin creator allows it, please consider uploading them here at MTS! With how this skins work, the more variety available, the more we all win!
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#237 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 9:03 PM
Can't upload here, the skins are anatomically correct.
I believe all the TOUs from the various creators are fine, so maybe I will share them elsewhere.
Alchemist
#238 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 11:06 PM
I have uploaded my set. The upload post is here: http://gardenofshadows.org.uk/garde...31757#msg731757

In case something happens to that post, the files (including images and readme) are on SimfileShare here: http://simfileshare.net/download/387446/
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#239 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 4:52 AM
I'm new to the sims 2 and just happened across your old MTS post! Love it
Field Researcher
#240 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 1:45 AM
I have pondered this download for a long time. It was extremely appealing, but I wanted a range from dark roast espresso to milk and I knew having elders lose their proper skin tone would drive me crazy. Today I had a new idea, and I wonder if there is any reason why it wouldn't work: can I have two sets of the same skins, one correlated, the other custom, and just assign the custom version of the proper skin in SimPE when my sim becomes an elder?
Test Subject
#241 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 1:56 PM
Hi Phaenoh, I tried to make an alien skinset with your templates, but only the skin assigned to the black hair works.

If I switch hair colors in CAS/Bodyshop, the skintone stays the same as the black one, even though I'm using different skins for each hair color. And if I remove only the black hair skintone package from my DL folder (keeping all the others from the set I made), all my aliens (regardless of hair color) revert back to Maxis' skintone.

It's as if the game is seeing the black hair skin package as a regular alien default, not part of a correlated set, even though I used your templates.

Do you know what it could be? I've made correlated skinsets for my own use before (granted, it was the natural set) and I never had this issue. Thanks in advance for your attention.
Test Subject
#242 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:47 PM
Hey! I wanted to let you know, that I have encountered the same problem as @Dune there. Used these skins just fine for weeks, till one day I tried to change Bottom Summerdream's (from Veronaville) appearance using a mirror. She was already two days into being a teenager. As Dune already mentioned, her face now is just plain white, with some sort of error text written all over. No other lifestate sims are affected. Went to CAS and male teenagers were fine, but as soon as you switch too female teenager, the face turns white. I have no CC clothing or hair, my mods mostly consist of gameplay hacks and fixes. I do have a make up replacement by Dreadpirate on Tumblr and ''Defuglified Maxis faces 27 CAS face replacements for all ages'' by Selzi on MTS.
Test Subject
#243 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nideila
Hey! I wanted to let you know, that I have encountered the same problem as @Dune there. Used these skins just fine for weeks, till one day I tried to change Bottom Summerdream's (from Veronaville) appearance using a mirror. She was already two days into being a teenager. As Dune already mentioned, her face now is just plain white, with some sort of error text written all over. No other lifestate sims are affected. Went to CAS and male teenagers were fine, but as soon as you switch too female teenager, the face turns white. I have no CC clothing or hair, my mods mostly consist of gameplay hacks and fixes. I do have a make up replacement by Dreadpirate on Tumblr and ''Defuglified Maxis faces 27 CAS face replacements for all ages'' by Selzi on MTS.

Nideila, probably the female teen facial texture is missing from the S3/Red Hair package.
Test Subject
#244 Old 4th Nov 2019 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HulaZombie
Nideila, probably the female teen facial texture is missing from the S3/Red Hair package.

Oh, I see.. Any idea how I could solve this issue or perhaps work around it?
Alchemist
#245 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nideila
Oh, I see.. Any idea how I could solve this issue or perhaps work around it?

Nidella, there are some options:
If you can use SimPE, you need to put the correct image into the file. If you find the skinset that was used, you can extract the image yourself, following the creation process Phaenoh outlines.

Or you could put in any face image you like, instead, which probably won't match properly but would give the teen a face.

Or, if using SimPE is no good, you could remove that particular file altogether, and put in one from a different set that has all the images.

Hope one of those options works for you.
Lab Assistant
#246 Old 30th Dec 2019 at 6:51 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 30th Dec 2019 at 7:19 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 5599902, 5599908
Does this prevent brown sims from being blonde or ginger? I like the wider variety of skin tone because the four are so basic and there's four, but it looks like you're restricting hair colour.

It honestly makes no sense to link skin colour to hair colour.
Test Subject
#247 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 2:18 AM
Just a quick question will the skintone/haircolor link be genetics only or a permanent correlation? IE: If I make a sim in CAS with blonde hair at the darkest skintone (which I was thinking of making as a mild tan tone) then later in my gameplay have her "Dye" her hair to Black (the darkest tone being akin to Maxis default Dark one) will she go from the mild tan skintone to the Maxis dark skintone as well?
Mad Poster
#248 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 10:11 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Jun 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
The only information I'm finding on face textures at the moment seems to be related to how good your computer is, but that makes no sense for why it's only the teen females having this problem. I swear I remember seeing something about the teen female face being bugged (maybe HP said it somewhere?) but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, you keep testing out different things, try turning your graphics up and down, remove more downloads (sometimes unrelated things have bad code accidentally included) etc.

@Phaenoh

The problem with teen faces was mentioned again in a help topic here. Looks like it's because the teen skins include a missing reference to teen face skins that don't exist, because maxis teen skins use the adult face textures and there are no TXTRs for TF. Maxis teen females have teen TXMTs but use adult TXTRs (I recently pulled some creature skins and it seems to be true for alien skins as well). Pretty sure male teenagers have separate faces from adults so those should be fine, it's just a problem with teen female.

Fix below that (hopefully) should fix sims' faces once the skins are fixed - if they're not fixed, try taking the sim to a mirror, and/or delete cache files:

Quote: Originally posted by clsve
This is generally caused by missing texture-file. In this case it's Maxis' use of the same facetexture for both adult and teen female that is the cause which probably the creator have not noticed and made references to non-existing tfface-textures. Should also work for recolors, but if you want to make new skin recolors I suggest to work on fixed and playtested versions so you're sure they're working.

If you are familiar with SimPE you can repair it but it's a lot of job.

- in SimPE open every package-file in "MTS_Phaenoh_1308651_Phaenoh_EugenicSkin-TextRef"
- find the Material Definition (TXMT) file for tfface for example ##0x5ffae584!tfface~face_txmt
- in Properies tab find stdMatBaseTextureName
- change tfface-s? to afface-s? (? = 1,2,3 or 4)
- commit and save
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#249 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 10:19 PM
The best default skins ever! I tried so many MM defaults but this is the best one I could find so far
Test Subject
#250 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 4:45 PM
I know Sims 2 is not relevant anymore, but I have a simple question, maybe someone will answer.
Although I really enjoy the idea of 16 different skintones and removing the unrealistic light-hair dark-skin combo, there is one thing bothering me:
An S1 Black-haired (pale skintone) Sim and an S4 Red-haired (medium skintone) Sim have a big probability of producing an S4 Black-haired offspring, who has dark skintone... Daddy's gonna think someone else is involved in the picture, and we don't want that.
Any suggestion, besides reloading and hoping for a different skintone outcome, or manually altering the baby's skintone?
Thank you! =)
Page 10 of 11