Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 8:16 AM Last edited by GuardStud08 : 2nd Jul 2009 at 8:29 AM.
Default Strip Search In Schools: Ban it or Allow it?
Personally, as a Junior, I think they should allow it under these conditions:

A: They MUST have enough evidence to decide a Strip Search is necessary.

B: They MUST show this proof to the accused BEFORE the search begins

C: The parent/legal guardian of the parent MUST be present for the search

D: Only the following people may be in the room during search:

1) SAME GENDER principal or vice-principal (which ever is available)
2) SAME GENDER school officer/sheriff
3) The accused (duh)
4) The accused parent(s)/guardian(s)

Whats your say in it?

~~~The Official Nintendork Island~~~
"I cannot love you like this anymore..... Alejandro"
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 8:32 AM
Personally, I say ban it. If they want to perform the strip search they should have a warrant and arrest the juvenile first. Now if the student is 18, then go for it but it should be performed by someone of the same sex.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 10:36 AM
I say a strip search should only be carried out by police, what ever your age.

My name is Jill. But i am not a bean. Not a baked bean, not a lima bean not even a jelly bean . . . . . . . . Ok maybe a jelly bean.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:14 PM
I say that whatever could justify a strip search in any circumstance would always fall into lawbreaking and should therefore be performed by legal authorities following the according rules.

The only thing that comes to my mind that would justify a strip search in a school is if the student is accused of drug dealing (and would be hiding those drugs in some hard to search orifices, otherwise you can find the drug without resorting to stripping), and that definitely doesn't fall into school personnel juridiction and they should contact the police.
Theorist
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:44 PM
Hmm, I feel differently. I think it should be allowed if they think that the student may be endangering other students by carrying whatever it is they are being strip searched for. But like you said, there definitely has to be enough evidence and strict rules about who does it and who is present.

Having said that, I'd imaigne it would be difficult to have evidence to present to a student that warrants a strip search, and surely if it's something serious enough to strip search for, then the police should be involved (weapons and drugs for instance).

My school would never have strip-searched anyone, and if they had any reason to think it was necessary then they would have called the police and held the student in the principal's office until the police arrived.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 5:57 PM
I say ban it. It's embarassing and unnecessary. I don't like taking my clothes off in front of anyone. Guy or girl. Although guys especially. No student deserves that kind of humiliation. There are other punishments available.
Theorist
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 6:35 PM
I don't care about my precious snowflake being embarrassed (she'll be a senior in high school this next year), but I don't believe that any child should forfeit their civil liberties and right to not be subject to unreasonable searches just because they're a student. More importantly, while I'm not a big fan of law enforcement or our current trends in the justice department, I absolutely do not want someone whose sole qualification for conducting a strip search on my daughter be that they've got an education degree and have been hired by a local board of education. Somehow we managed to get by decades ago when I was in high school without letting the imbeciles running the educational system legally compel kids to remove their clothes, I expect the world won't end if school administrators have to do their jobs without the right to conduct unconstitutional searches on children.
Alchemist
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GuardStud08
Personally, as a Junior, I think they should allow it under these conditions:

A: They MUST have enough evidence to decide a Strip Search is necessary.

B: They MUST show this proof to the accused BEFORE the search begins

C: The parent/legal guardian of the parent MUST be present for the search

D: Only the following people may be in the room during search:

1) SAME GENDER principal or vice-principal (which ever is available)
2) SAME GENDER school officer/sheriff
3) The accused (duh)
4) The accused parent(s)/guardian(s)

Whats your say in it?

i pretty much agree with this, only, with the presence of a legal authority, be it a lawyer or a policeman.

...mainly because, im not shy about stripping if it clears my slate of being in trouble. its not like i have to give anyone a blowjob, so, if im innocent there shouldnt be a fuss about doing it in the first place.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 1:33 AM
I agree with those who said that a strip-search would only be necessary in the case of a likely and serious crime, and therefore the police should be involved.

That said, I'm not sure why we should worry about it being a person of the same sex performing the search. I suspect some female teachers from my school were less interested in my genitalia than some of the male teachers.
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 3:17 AM
Suicide, I agree, a legal personal (police or lawyer) has to be present. Didn't occur to me earlier.

~~~The Official Nintendork Island~~~
"I cannot love you like this anymore..... Alejandro"
Inventor
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 8:22 AM
So strip searches are business as usual at schools somewhere in the world? Where? That sounds strange to me as a German.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 5:13 PM
4th Amendment - US Constitution

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The school needs a warrant from a judge to perform any search .. period.

The slippery slope of fallacious "greater good" leads to the downward path of fascism.

I hope the parents sue the crap out of the city/state
Theorist
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 10:19 PM
To be clear, the Supreme Court has both allowed and disallowed such searches. Individual states are currently following a trend of disallowing them entirely, which should mean that most states should have it banned by 2012 (except for Texas, which shall have a new law by then allowing administrators to hunt, kill, and skin any child which isn't white.)
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 10:51 PM
SCOTUS has also upheld slavery and segregation ... personally, the 4th Amendment is pretty clear ... too much judge activism as far as I am concerned

Then there is common sense .. if you got a child in your school you are having an issue with ... then have them sit in the office and call the parents ... you are there to teach not to police