Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#101 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cassslas1996
The books are fine...I guess.
The movie, as I will always say, is the biggest rip-off in history.
It's too over dramatic...

Yeah, Bella's actor is incredibly awkward to watch!

And the plot of the books just spins in every direction in half-way and kinda unravels and goes too weird :D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 9:18 AM
I'm amused by the fact that the movie got like 11 teen choice awards, including best drama...., yeah, best drama, with their ending of " and they lived forever, happily ever after....
Scholar
#103 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zuke
I'm amused by the fact that the movie got like 11 teen choice awards, including best drama...., yeah, best drama, with their ending of " and they lived forever, happily ever after....

But then it IS the Teen Choice Awards, .
Test Subject
#104 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 1:12 PM
I like Twilight.... Don't hit me D:
I like the characters a lot and if she had spent a little more time creating personalities for them I'd be a crazed fan. Well... more so than I am now. I don't force people to like it but I do have a twilight t-shirt and hoodie and 2 posters. Prefer the apparel though because I don't think the movie was that good. Second one seems to be brighter and will probably turn out better because they have money now xD

I don't like how everyone is just in love with Edward. I wish he had a flaw, but I really do like him and I do get fangirly over the series a bit xP

Sue me, I enjoy these books but they could've been better written. If JK Rowling had written them (because I know she's a good writer) they would've been epic, but they're not and I'm pleased with them. I can't remember if I ever warmed to Bella... She seems like a bit of a (cough cough big) Mary Sue. I like Edward though. He just needs some flaws! But maybe being slightly too much in love with her is a flaw? :P
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 7:34 PM
I know I used to worship the ground Stephenie Meyer walked on. Now, not so much. I still have my posters and everything, and I kind of like the books, but...*shrugs* I'm not that into it any more. I've come to think that Breaking Dawn is basically like a fan fiction gone horribly wrong. I prefer real vampires now. *cough*Lestatishot*cough*
Field Researcher
#106 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 4:26 AM
Ive read all the Twilight books. I enjoyed Twilight but really didnt like the others. Breaking Dawn was the worst of the bunch I think. Ive tried to reread twilight and couldnt get past the first chapter... So i guess I dont like it to much anymore. Lol

My sister loves the books . Im more of a Harry Potter person tho!
Test Subject
#107 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 9:55 AM
I know has been dead for days, but I wanted to add my 5 cents to it anyway.

First of all, I have read the whole series, so I know what I'm talking about. Twilight, the first book, was pretty good and really got me hooked, but the rest of them are about as bad as a book can be. I kept reading them because I was hoping they would get better, and I wanted to know how it all ended. But Bella is whiny and you end up hating her. Edward is one dimensional and flat, sometimes he looked more like a brainless zombie (always thinking about Bella and only about her) than a vampire.
I especially dislike Breaking Dawn, the last book of the series. I don't know how Meyer managed to write such a freaking long book and still it seemed so rushed, just to bring a nice happy ending.

Besides, the book conveys a message that I don't like or share, most of the time it's sexist (woman, Bella, who considers herself worthless and her life not worth living if she's not being admired by a man; plus Edward is contolling and sometimes plain stalkery-creepy) and promotes the "erotics of abstinence" and "True Love Waits".

So, to sum up: Twiligh bad. Harry Potter good. And if you like vampires just go read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles :P
Alchemist
#108 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 10:13 AM
the only way a vampire sparkles in the sun is if his skin is beginning to be seared off the rest of his body. >_>
and i dont see billows of smoke trailing edward, so, FAKE. FAKE FAKE FAKE. plastic fangs dont make a vampire, loverboy!

*cough*

sorry, just sick of the whole vampire ripoff. its not even a GOOD ripoff. its cheesy. ):

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#109 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 11:25 AM Last edited by RiBlan : 10th Sep 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: edited for clarity; adding some things
Okay, seriously, you can't compare them to "Real" Vampires, because "Real" Vampires were made up as well.

IF Vampires are real, how do we know they don't sparkle, hmm? The whole "They're not real! They don't burn! Twilight sucks becuase they're not real vampires!" thing is a hunk of bologna.

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said.

Anyways, back on topic. I've only read Twilight and New Moon, but I'm enjoying it so far. Yeah, Edward is a sissy stalker vampire.
Forum Resident
#110 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 12:20 PM
Regardless RiBlan of your very good point, Vampires were originally based off of some truths, and some myths, so what does that equal?

Vampires could very well be considered as legends, like in the sense of King Arthur, and Hercules. Very obvious they may have never existed, but evidence and some good old fashioned writing has given it reason enough to be believable.

Le Morte de Arthur is probably the best depiction of King Arthur and his tales. Like how Bram Stroker's Dracula is still by far the best envisioning I've personally ever read when it comes to depicting the many styles, habits, lifestyles, origins, and soul behind Vampires.

Twilight...book and movies, are a horrible depiction of Vampires, extremely horrible...kinda like how the films, Arthur...The Last Legion, and others that will not be mentioned, totally made me sick. Besides the Holy Grail, that is...still the best movie ever. 'Cause it's funny and purposefully makes fun of King Arthur and his men.

Now if Twilight was intended to be a spoof of Vampires, I probably actually would of liked it more, but it wasn't...sadly. >.> And why is that? If you're totally gonna bastardize the ideal of the Vampire, what makes them...well, them, why take it seriously? So I laughed throughout all of Twilight, when it wasn't even intended. WTH's up with that?

How disappointing...

I like when people try to be edgy, or try to re-envision things, so long as it's well...GOOD.

I have nothing against Edward, or the majority of the characters personally, but they could of been human and it would of still worked out..they could of been robots even, and it still would of worked out. They could of even been ZOMBIES ( seeing as they had pretty crappy dialogue as it was ) and it would of worked out, so what's the point of making them Vampires...or Werewolves, if there's no real point behind it in the first place? So further more, why bother at all?

Anyway...the one thing that peeved me the most about the book and movie, was the characters, character archs, and character development.

There were none...heheh, which is like writing 101, neh?

The characters were blah, and at times laughable. Why make him a Vampire, if he has no weaknesses? Seriously? His only weakness is his feelings...you kidding? Oh yeah, Bella, I luv ya, but I would really like to avoid accidentally having you for dinner one day...so yeah, later...*tosses long bangs*

Ummm...wow, that was the shortest story ever. Hmmm...could of done it justice too, if he just said...NO, I will not make a fool of my character and do exactly what I shouldn't do. Ya know?

Now as for Bella, she's my biggest problem. Since when was it okay for characters like her to be considered as role models? Okay...seriously, if I was in her position, I'd probably make an idiot of myself on the first date and pee my pants as I slowly manuever into the fetal position, sorry...but Vampires scare me, why do you think they have to use mystical dark powers to seduce people into their clutches? o.O

Sorry, but she'd have to be less of a...weenie, whiny, stale faced, porcelain, can't act for crap doll to hang with a Vamp gang, then again...they weren't really Vampires, were they?

Said and done! :}
Test Subject
#111 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 12:26 PM
I'm gonna be honest...I've never read the books. Not one. I read the prologue bit, with Bella whining about dying and I gave up shortly after that. So I can't really comment on what happens in there, or the books afterwards.

After my nieces spent a good few months going "TWILIGHTTWILIGHTTWILIGHTILOVEEDWARD!!" in my face, I decided to give it a go. In my opinion, it wasn't all that. I really could not understand how he could be so in love with her after, like, a week or so. My nieces told me it was because she "smelt nice" (???) which made no sense to me whatsoever.
I didn't like Bella from the word go. She just seemed so miserable to me and, as someone else said, flat.

Sig Coming Soon
Beautiful Dinosaur
#112 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 2:50 PM Last edited by Bellasaurus : 10th Sep 2009 at 3:13 PM.
I've read all four books & the unpublished few chapters of Edward's point of view and I must admit, I absolutely love them. They are such utter trash it's fabulous. Great for escapism reading. I was pissing myself laughing all the way through Breaking Dawn with it's desperate attempts to keep the reader interested in what was going to happen next. I loved the ridiculous new take on the vampire myth... Sparkly skin? Excellent. Just so hilarious. If you take the series as trash escapism, you'll enjoy it.

Oh, and that link is absolutely hilarious Kissamies, excellent find
Mad Poster
#113 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:05 PM
^ I totally agree with Bellasaurus. Such an easy read and so OTT. I'm almost done with Eclipse and there have been moments where it's supposed to be serious and I'm either cringing or laughing or both! I find myself talking about how it's so silly but yet I can't stop reading!

New Moon was my favourite so far, mainly because Edward wasn't in it and he irritates me. I did like Jacob but he turned weird and keeps forcing himself on Bella who also annoys me, I really wish she'd have a happy thought that didn't revolve around Edward.
Scholar
#114 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cassslas1996
The books are fine...I guess.
The movie, as I will always say, is the biggest rip-off in history.
It's too over dramatic...

It's always that way...

I'm probably the only girl I know who hasn't fallen into this trap, and I don't plan to.
Alchemist
#115 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RiBlan
Okay, seriously, you can't compare them to "Real" Vampires, because "Real" Vampires were made up as well.

IF Vampires are real, how do we know they don't sparkle, hmm? The whole "They're not real! They don't burn! Twilight sucks becuase they're not real vampires!" thing is a hunk of bologna.

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said.

Anyways, back on topic. I've only read Twilight and New Moon, but I'm enjoying it so far. Yeah, Edward is a sissy stalker vampire.

true, they are not real, but there are criteria that match the myth.
for example, would you call a horse without a horn a unicorn? or maybe an elf with round ears, an elf?

when i think " vampire " i do not think " sparkle ".

had to be said. (;

twilights vampires dont even DRINK BLOOD.
another count against the criteria.

Forum Resident
#116 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 10:18 PM
Suicidia: Here, here! Seriously...if they aren't drinking blood, how are they still...well walking? o_O
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 10:32 PM
Twilight is really, really bad. And I have read each book at least 3 times. I bolth love and hate the books. The movie was ok but not good. Edward is a stalker creep and I don't see why everyone is so in love with him.
Scholar
#118 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 10:47 AM
I liked Twilight the first time I read them. Now they drive me crazy.

Imprinting makes me shiver, it is horrible, and the movie is CRAAAAAAAAAPYYY!!!

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Scholar
#119 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by singing_Noel
Suicidia: Here, here! Seriously...if they aren't drinking blood, how are they still...well walking? o_O

They're vegetarian vampires who...eat...deer. Because deer are now...vegetables...with animal...blood?

I think someone didn't think this through for Twilight. .
Alchemist
#120 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TRIriana
They're vegetarian vampires who...eat...deer. Because deer are now...vegetables...with animal...blood?

I think someone didn't think this through for Twilight. .

i dont think theyre vampires. >_>
they are something that has branched from that good idea, and into Cheap Imitation Land.
vampires with morals? SINCE WHEN? >_>; ruins the whole predator theme.

but your comment reminded me of bunnicula. xDDD

Lab Assistant
#121 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 3:26 PM
Another twlight?
i haven't even seen the first one yet!

mrnapolean1 is looking forward for Avatar 2! :)
Test Subject
#122 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 7:15 AM
I have to agree with singing_Noel & Suicidia

the could have been normal humans,

is just not about the skin, fangs and blood,

I believe that one of the things that is atractive about reading about vampires is that pretty much there are no rules or moral code whatsoever,

I mean, they could do ANYTHING, but they choose to live like an average family and go to school for ever..... brrr....
Field Researcher
#123 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 2:29 PM
whether you like twilight or not this site is pretty amusing http://www.mylifeistwilight.com/

My Sims 3 Creations
Nothing matters. We're essentially all highly evolved monkeys clinging to a rock that's falling through space and the rock itself is dying. Frankie Boyle.
Just call me sam its easier.
Field Researcher
#124 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 6:19 PM
I like twilight. I am not saying it is the greatest thing in the world, but I like it for that fact that what I wanted to happen didnt. And I see a lot of flaws with all the characters. Edward has a huge flaw. He is a control freak. It wouldnt let Bella do what she wanted. He told her what she could and could not do. To me, that is a huge flaw. Bella was just naive. She just fell head over heels for edward. Her flaw to me is that she is just clingy. She is a BIG Mary Sue. She takes everything to heart that Edward does and that is just a huge pprobablem for Bella. The one I dont see a problem with is Jacob. What really is the matter with him. He has no flaws to be. A normal teenager with outrageous hormones for the wrong girl. If i wrote the book she would have dumped the vampire and went for the werewolves, at least werewolves seem to have more fun, while Edward just plays the damn piano and reads. No fun there. But that is why I like the books, because it pissed me off when i read them.

Call me Sasha
Funny how when your a kid, you dream about your future and when you are an adult, you dream about going back to when you were a kid.
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 4:33 AM
It is by no means a great work of literature. I only stuck around for Jacob ^_^ He's the most well-written character in the series, and the only one with any development.

I read a lot a lot of Jacob fanfiction. Edward is no bueno to me, and Bella is quite flat. I prefer Leah ^_^

Breaking Dawn was the worst of all four, by far. It was..... Geeze. There's like no words to describe how awful it was.

Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string.
Page 5 of 6