Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#2401 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 11:45 PM
@Sweet Mystre, I LOVE that lot. (It's Jones btw. This is gdayars and I's mod team account)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2402 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 1:32 AM
Well, I went with Buggybooz's brick slabs which was much faster than the cornice trick (although I'm glad I learned about that, thanks Voeille). Thanks again, gazania! (Hopefully, I don't have to take any more pics of changes.)
Mad Poster
#2403 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 2:32 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th Jun 2017 at 2:48 AM.
You're welcome. I certainly learned something with that, too. I never knew you could even cover latticed foundations until yesterday!

I am having the hardest time taking pictures. I forgot you can't remove walls to take a picture if your Sims are on a lot, I've had to divide the lot in different sections for the floor shots*, and the classrooms are small ... It's hard to include what I want to include in the shots. I'm looking at the pictures here to see if anyone was in the same situation and how they handled the pics.

*Y'see, the way my buildings are situated, it's not as easy to differentiate a building as a building. The ones on one side share walls and are not separate buildings, so techincally, one might consider them floors or rooms rather than separate buildings. The main reason why I'm rushing to get some pictures out ASAP ... I may revise the crud out of them, but that's fine ... is to make sure that my level shots are OK.

For instance, there is a building with a classroom, but there is a walkway to an area with a shared wall. That would be the lecture hall. Taking both areas together really doesn't show much, but technically, they are connected rooms ... not two buildings.

I thought I could separate the restaurant and the parent room by function, but no matter what, I'l get a good chunk of the other room in the shot. I was going to try to treat them as separate buildings, but since they do share a wall, they technically aren't. Also, the food stand building is not entirely separate from the coffee shop.

So at this point, it's ... what is the best picture? What is the best way to show these rooms? Right now, my food stand and parent room are in the same shot, the coffee shop, which shares part of a wall with the main building, is separate, the children's building is separate, the workshop is separate, and each floor of the main building is separate. The connecting lecture hall got its own shot. I do hope you can see what I mean soon, joandsarah77. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#2404 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
You're welcome. I certainly learned something with that, too. I never knew you could even cover latticed foundations until yesterday!

I am having the hardest time taking pictures. I forgot you can't remove walls to take a picture if your Sims are on a lot, I've had to divide the lot in different sections for the floor shots, and the classrooms are small ... It's hard to include what I want to include in the shots. I'm looking at the pictures here to see if anyone was in the same situation and how they handled the pics.

Do you have Fraps? You can get wide-angle shots with that. On my computer it's the x button, while the normal zoom back is the s.
Mad Poster
#2405 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 2:54 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th Jun 2017 at 4:26 PM. Reason: A wee bit wordy.
I have FRAPS, but I'm really, really trying to avoid getting overly fish-eyed when taking the shots. I've used FRAPS for some time. It's just that these particular shots are a little challenging for me compared with my normal shots. So I do hope I can get some inspiration from pictures already here. Perhaps others here had small rooms and the same problem.

I should write that I've taken pictures of community lot interiors WITH the Sims inside both here and took a whole lot of pictures in my cafe for the contest on that other site. They were far, far easier than these particular shots! :]

EDIT AGAIN ... Managed, with enough zooming attempts to make me dizzy, to get what I hope are acceptable pictures of the classrooms. Unfortunately, while taking pictures, I noticed a few very minor but annoying problems and fixed them, necessitating retakes. But HOPEFULLY, it's nine floor shots down (three floors of one building, a lecture hall accessible via an outside door on the same level, two floors of the children's center, one workshop, one food stand/parent area. and one coffee shop. Whew! I think I might actually get a first, second or third place prize for the most floor/level shots.

So fingers crossed, it's seven extra pics done in addition to the essential shots (which I've also done), nine to go! My collection of photos will be pretty large, though at 33 pictures! I have taken alternate shots of the one or two iffy ones just in case, so I shouldn't have to retake the shots if I'm wrong.

Lab Assistant
#2406 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 10:40 PM
Fingers crossed for you, @gazania
I'm having the same problem with pictures- making the room look right without going too fish-eyed.

I'm liking my newest lot more- it's got a wedding hall, a reception area, a family room, a store, a restaurant, a stage for music/performances, a small playground, a pool, a hot-tub/sauna/massage table (have to test it), 2 bathrooms... and a barista area in the plaza.

I'm looking for matching windows for the style I'm trying to convey.
Scholar
#2407 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 12:32 AM
Well, I my ferns are sorted out (I hope my graphic card will hate me a little less for the low poly version), and I also made additional sizes to the spherical lamps I used in my entry, so now I need to make small improvements, play test it a bit and take pictures

As for pictures, I always use tab + zoom out with X and the pictures don’t look so bad. I never remove walls as that changes lighting specific for a certain room.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Lab Assistant
#2408 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 1:10 AM
Default Not related to the comp but
I was trying to get photo studio in my newly installed SimPE to work and needed a victim sorry I mean subject. So...

Yeah I know too much time at the juice bar.

Now to see if I can get my game running again!

Scottiedoag
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#2409 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 2:57 AM Last edited by Sweet Mystre : 28th Jun 2017 at 12:07 AM.
Hi
Round #5~ Community Build, 3x3 lot

Since there was more time and this one actually has the required bathroom, I'm going with this one.

The Knight's Plaza - §276,499
A place to visit, relax, let the kids run, have family functions, have Community functions, go out alone or with anyone else.... It's got something for everyone.

Cost

Required pictures

The Rest of the pictures as best I could

Good Family Fun all around! There's a lot of stuff for romance, there's music and swimming for learning and toys, plus community stuff. XD

Again- Thanks for the Challenge and the Fun!

*changed a few pictures. I don't understand the family room but now the bathroom off the family area has a regular toilet and toddlers potty.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2410 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:02 AM
Table updated so each entry now shows the family name, please check your entries to make sure all are correct.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#2411 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:22 AM
@Sweet Mystre I like your new lot, not only does it make me think of Veronaville (probably because of those walls), but also of the Old Town in TS1 for some reason And slightly of a Downtown lot I built ages ago (again probably because of the walls).

Jo, my families are right, so nothing to correct in my row.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that people in general build things that you could encounter in real life, but I go and put bowls on the roof instead. Oh well.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2412 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:56 AM
And it's stuff like that which puts you so firmly in the lead! Originality pays.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#2413 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:06 AM
Maybe you’re right I decided to go weird in each round and thanks to that I feel more comfortable mixing styles than I used to, and, the most importantly, I found a style for Oasis Valley I really like Not sure if I’d think of it if not for this contest.

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2414 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 7:38 AM
I like your style Voeille it's very unique and out there, but it works. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2416 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 8:39 AM
Thanks yavannatw, I'll be starting on that tomorrow.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#2417 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:28 PM Last edited by enebya : 3rd Jul 2017 at 12:40 PM.
Round 5 Entry, 3x3 Lot
Visit the Driftwood Community Pool!

Scholar
#2418 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:23 PM
Thanks Jo I also have a question – is a regular toilet required nearby the parenting room, or is just a potty enough? I have this (I know the colours look weird but I have lights on), and normal restrooms in a separate building, is that enough?

Enebya, interesting idea with hot springs on an ‘island’ in the pool.

Simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#2419 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:15 PM
Apparently not. I had to add a toilet to my parenting room.
Mad Poster
#2420 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:43 PM
That pool will look very good in my hood I like, @enebya!
Mad Poster
#2421 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:00 PM
I'm physically and emotionally drained with this lot. I'm concerned there may be a major flaw with it, but after 27 major revisions (not kidding) and three weeks of constantly working on it, my judgment is cloudy. I hope to post it today. I'll try to retake three of the four interior shots that don't have the interior lights on if I get a scowl of disapproval. I think they're lit pretty well as is and might be able to pass, but again, my judgment is wonky. One shot, however, I just cannot do anymore. It will have to stay as is. It was way too difficult to pose, even with free will off. I think it's fine ... hopefully the judges will as well.

@joandsarah77 .... the main reason why I want to get this up with some time to spare is to make sure I've taken the proper amount and type of floor level shots. Right now, I'm up to 8. If I have to retake these shots, I will. I do not want to lose points for such a silly mistake. Please, please let me know if I screwed up.

And enebya .. great submission! I wouldn't mind a dip in that water myself.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2422 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:03 PM
The contest will be extended two days due to illness for one and busyness of the other staff members.

@Voeille parenting rooms always come with a toilet. The toilet and child toilet (potty in this case unless you download one) are in the same room together.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#2423 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:41 PM
Well OK then. I don’t have much space there but I hope I’ll manage to shove in a toilet and a basin. I’ll also have to replace the curtain with an actual door.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2424 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:57 PM Last edited by gazania : 27th Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Default Round 5: Peace Center Art Park
In this entry, I'll merge the story and the descriptions.

ContestTownToday,com ... November 11, 2017

Art Park a Welcome Addition

by Ardea Alba

Contest Town residents are enriching their minds, inspiring their souls and enjoying new opportunities to learn more and meet others in the recent Peace Center Art Park, a park to enrich and inspire all ages to be inspired, create and mingle.

The park offers painting, pottery and basket-weaving classes for adults, and pottery and painting classes for children and teens. It was an original concept developed by artist Cardamon and Zenith Rhodes, and funded with an endowment from the couple, donations from the community, and funding allocated by the Contest Town government.

"We encourage people to be inspired by their surroundings in this place; to feel at peace and find ideas for art in the people they meet and the things they see and feel here." Cardamon said. "Too often, we fail to see beauty in our everyday lives." Visitors can create temporary art in the sand garden, use the easel by the pond to paint wildlife, and pick reeds to make baskets in the workshop nearby. A food stand and ice cream stand provides refreshment, as do two vending machines behind the basket workshop and the coffee shop near the main building. There is a parent room for cranky toddlers to have a quick meal and take a nap. The park has sculptures on the lawn and boardwalk donated by local artists.

Adult classrooms are in the multi-storied cantilevered building. The main floor has a lobby with magazines and brochures, and a computer for residents to register for classes. The second floor has a painting studio for adults. Painting classes for adults often focus on live drawing. Near the second-floor classroom is a lecture hall where instructors can give talks on art trends and history. Adults, teens and children are welcome to listen to these talks. The third floor is the pottery studio.

Children and toddlers have their own building. The first floor is the painting classroom, where students learn techniques and paint still art pictures. The second floor is where children and can learn to make colorful plates for their rooms on children's pottery wheels. An activity table allows toddlers to express their creative side as well. Those watching the toddlers can play a quick game of Trivial Pursuit while keeping an eye on the youngsters to make sure they don't express their creativity on the walls Should this happen, however, the Rhodes made sure that all walls are painted with high-quality, washable, low-VOC semi-gloss paint for quick clean-ups (quoted from www.williamsprofessionalpainting.com).

Paintings by local artists plentifully adorn the walls in all buildings. Those wishing to purchase a painting can leave an inquiry at the coffee shop. This place is also an informal gallery and museum showcasing the art that not only the Rhodes, but artists throughout Contest Town have created throughout the years.

We spoke with local residents about what they liked about Art Park.

The Walters liked learning new art skills and mingling with other people. "Being a mother of two active toddlers, sometimes I feel the need for adult company when Bryan is not home, " said Terri Walter. "The Parent Room has a fridge to keep the children's snacks, some toys, two sleeping mats, a place to change diapers and for my toddlers to learn potty training, and a bookcase to read Christopher and Sophia a story or two. The rubber puzzle rug absorbs those 'oopses' when they fall, and is easy to clean."

Bryan is trying to improve his pottery skills. "Right now, I'm at the brown lump stage," he laughed. "But the instructors are really good here. They don't laugh at my efforts, and give me tips on how to improve."

Paul and Joanne Newman like the pet-friendly atmosphere of the park. Though residents are advised by park management that pets in the classrooms and workshop might get hurt, well-behaved pets are welcomed to walk on the boardwalk and on the grounds. There are bowls for thirsty four-legged friends to take a drink by the parent room and by the basket workshop. "My dogs love it here, and the residents are always ready to spoil them," laughs Joanne. Both Newmans are trying their hand at the folk art of basket-weaving. "I haven't gotten to the point where I can make a doghouse, but the small baskets are useful around the house," said Paul.

For busy parents Stan and Lisa Lambert and their four children, the park provides a safe space for their children to learn and play. Toddlers Kenneth and Nene, elementary school-age twins Adam and Aaron and twin teens Victorine and Anna enjoy hanging out at the park as much as their parents. All the children enjoy learning new art techniques. Even Kenneth and Nene like to draw while Anna and Victorine try to beat each other at Trivial Pursuit. ("I generally win!", commented Victorine.) "It felt a little strange posing as a model for Bryan's art class, but the instructors and students were really supportive," Lisa commented.

Cassie Elliott and her daughter Molly often go to the Art Park on weekends and in the late afternoon. Molly is trying to improve her still life drawing, and both Elliotts enjoy hearing Peter Ottomas talk about the history of art and fashion. If the lecture of the day does not interest one of the Elliotts, Cassie buys a cup of Barstucks coffee and chats with the neighbors while looking at the paintings on the wall, and Molly plays in the playground, sneaks a few raspberries and watches the butterflies. "The butterflies are so pretty! Molly exclaimed. "Darn good coffee!" Cassie commented. "And I like how Molly and I can bike to the park, secure the bikes to the racks in front, and spend a couple of hours here."

The Rhodes are happy to see so many residents in the park, and spend a great deal of time there themselves. "I can make patterns in the sand for hours," Cardamon mentioned. "I find that it can be very important to create art from a more elevated, serene state of consciousness." "I find that serenity near the pond, " added Zenith. "While I don't like to fish there myself, it's all cool when others do. Many find it relaxing to fish. I find it relaxing and romantic cuddling my soul mate. That puts me in the best frame of mind to create." he said as he hugged Cardamon.

It seems that so far, the Rhodes' dream that the park be a place of creativity and positivity has come true. It has greatly boosted the community spirit of Contest Town, and will probably continue to do so in years to come.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2425 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 2:33 AM
Table updated with scores, totals and linking to score page.

~Call me Jo~

Page 97 of 106