Mod The Sims
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Posted 13th Sep 2014 at 8:19 PM - Updated 13th Sep 2014 at 11:53 PM by leefish - Viewed 419988 times. Direct link to this thread
717 Comments / replies (Who?) , 1112 times favourited , 2626 times thanked
Information (Click for more details):
This is a picked upload! It showcases some of the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
This mod is a small script that patches a function in the maxis game code to enable additional debug cheats. It also always enable cheats without needing to use the testingcheats command.
The python source is included as it provides an example of how to replace methods and functions in the maxis code.
I do not guarantee that the mod won't break with future updates of the game or that I'll be able to be arsed to fix it. But hey, you have the source :p
Unlike the original less than subtle method of modifying python33.dll to force the __debug__ variable to true, this one doesn't seem to be suffering from any game breaking side effect (at least it didn't during my extremely thorough 20 seconds test of getting a sim to fish and then successfully cancelling it).
Installation: put the file in your Mods directory. The also contains the .py source.
Make sure that script mods are enabled in game options.
Update: Now doesn't require to use the testingcheats console command.
Below is the original post describing the original less than satisfactory python dll editing method, in case someone is interested for some reason:
So I was looking into the decompiled python code and I noticed that a lot of interesting things are enabled when the global __debug__ variable is set to true.
It turns out that it is a builtin python variable normally set by python when run in non-optimized mode. Sims 4 helpfully ships python as a separate DLL from the main binary, so we can easily do some good ole hex editing of the code in that dll to force this variable to be set.
1. Get HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/).
1. Locate your sims 4 directory, which should be something something Origin Games/The Sims 4
2. Go into the Game/Bin directory.
3. Make a copy of Python33.dll
4. Launch HxD
5. Drag and drop Python33.dll into HxD
6. Press ctrl+f to bring up the search dialog
7. In "datatypes", select "hex-values"
8. In "search for", enter "0f45fd57"
9. The four bytes "0F 45 FD 57" will be highlighted. Click on the "45".
10. type "44", so that those bytes now read "0F 44 FD 57"
Restart the game.
In the game a bunch of new debug interactions should now be available by shift clicking on sims, objects or directly on the lot, allowing to manipulate traits, emotions, spawn sims, break things, start fires etc.
They are always available without having to enter testingcheats true in the console, until you restore the original Python33.dll file.
Doing this is also probably a useful step towards enabling the commands to reload scripts on the fly. There are lots of console commands that are flagged as debug only, but even after doing the above they don't seem to work. This will need more investigation.
For more information about this creator and their policies or details, click here.
Expansion / Stuff Packs Required
You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed above installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.
You need to be a Registered Member to be able to download from MTS. Registration allows you to thank and leave comments for the creators, see your download history, participate in the discussions and much more!
Basic Download and Install Instructions:
1. Download: Click the download link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
2. Extract: Use WinRAR (Windows) or Stuffit (Mac) to extract the .package file(s) from the .rar or .zip file(s).
3. Place in Downloads Folder: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your Downloads folder:
4. Place in Program Files: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your appropriate Install folder:
Need more information?