PDA

View Full Version : Let's-Create-A-City-Together community event/contest sort of deal!

SneakyWingPhoenix
4th Feb 2018, 1:27 PM
Yesterday, brainstorming at my bed at night, I thought of some sort hypothetical telephone-chain game, where I, for instance, could upload a certain template of a neighborhood and the rest of the community fills it up with one building at a home per person. It can be anything: a residential lot, an occupied one with a family/household, an apartment, a commercial. I revise the people's submitted creation before I resend to another volunteer to fill in the world with a lot, and I rinse and repeat. Participants will have to at least have all the expansion packs. It ends, so to speak unofficially, when there is not enough space remaining the plot down any more lots. The Final product/creation of the world is uploaded for everyone to download and enjoy playing.

gdayars
4th Feb 2018, 1:35 PM
While I really like this idea, I think it would be safer to have all the creators create an empty hood, create a lot only (no families and perhaps share the same SC4 template with everyone creating so that their empty worlds are all the same so no placement issues)

Perhaps the original world could have all the empty lots laid out in it, so you know what goes where, and then person 1 could do lots 1-4 and person 2 could do 5-7 or whatever. Or perhaps the world with all the empty lots could be passed out to begin with, and then the creators could just package them up for placement in the main world to begin with.

HugeLunatic
4th Feb 2018, 1:53 PM
This exists, in the form of Hood Building Group (http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=546&groupid=847). This is a group account so everyone who contributes gets credited when uploaded. With the added bonus of having members who understand the importance of clean hoods/lots.

gdayars
4th Feb 2018, 5:23 PM
Good point Lunie!

SneakyWingPhoenix
4th Feb 2018, 5:40 PM
This exists, in the form of Hood Building Group (http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=546&groupid=847). This is a group account so everyone who contributes gets credited when uploaded. With the added bonus of having members who understand the importance of clean hoods/lots.
How do I join it?

simsample
4th Feb 2018, 5:46 PM
What I did with some friends with Cities Skylines was to play a shared save. We all agreed on a set of mods and CC and each played the save for a set time and passed it on. Was interesting to see how others took advantage of things you didn't even think of! Something like that would be good with Sims 2, especially now as many people have the UC so would be playing the same gameversion.

lauratje86
4th Feb 2018, 6:48 PM
What I did with some friends with Cities Skylines was to play a shared save. We all agreed on a set of mods and CC and each played the save for a set time and passed it on. Was interesting to see how others took advantage of things you didn't even think of! Something like that would be good with Sims 2, especially now as many people have the UC so would be playing the same game version.
A few of us did this with TS2 quite a while back. We played a shared 'hood where everyone had their own household, as I recall. And each person only played their own household.

I would love to do something where a group of 3-5 simmers, or thereabouts, each created two residential lots, a family for each of their lots and a community lot or two which were then all added to the same 'hood. And then each player would take it in turn to play all of the families for a one-day rotation before passing the 'hood on to the next player. I think that it would be really fun to see how others played all of the families! It would require the group to agree on which EP's/SP's/mods/CC would be used, of course, but with a group of players with similar mod preferences it could work quite well, I think.

ConsoC
4th Feb 2018, 7:21 PM
While I really like this idea, I think it would be safer to have all the creators create an empty hood, create a lot only (no families and perhaps share the same SC4 template with everyone creating so that their empty worlds are all the same so no placement issues)

Perhaps the original world could have all the empty lots laid out in it, so you know what goes where, and then person 1 could do lots 1-4 and person 2 could do 5-7 or whatever. Or perhaps the world with all the empty lots could be passed out to begin with, and then the creators could just package them up for placement in the main world to begin with.
If I did something like that, I'd definitively do it that way. Assign each lot a number, and let people decide what they want to build on (maybe with the rule to have a mandatory community lot per creator?)

Charmful
4th Feb 2018, 7:34 PM
there's a project like this kinda going on in the Garden of Shadows Discord server. It's a no CC hood called Crystal Springs. More info here (https://crystalspringssims.tumblr.com/post/169400695224/a-little-bit-about-crystal-springs-sims)

Justpetro
4th Feb 2018, 7:36 PM
The problem with the Hood Building Group is that Ultimate Collection players can't build ( or that was the case when I asked to join some time ago).

So if anyone would like to start a similar group for UC users, I am in.

Emerald1234
4th Feb 2018, 7:43 PM
i'd love to do this! so how do we start? or can we not?

CaliBrat
4th Feb 2018, 8:00 PM
The problem with the Hood Building Group is that Ultimate Collection players can't build ( or that was the case when I asked to join some time ago).

So if anyone would like to start a similar group for UC users, I am in.

HBG mostly builds base game compatible by using AGS .UC players were unable to build base game as AGS didn't work for them.

HOWEVER :D .....

Thanks to Numenor comin back and fixin AGS UC players should now be able to use it and be able to build base game compatible ....

Emerald1234
4th Feb 2018, 8:07 PM
HBG mostly builds base game compatible by using AGS .UC players were unable to build base game as AGS didn't work for them.

Thanks to Numenor comin back and fixin AGS UC players should now be able to use it and be able to build base game compatible ....

so UC players could join now?

gdayars
4th Feb 2018, 8:13 PM
I would suggest a UC hood building group. Even with UC AGS it has mansions and gardens.

We could start one of those.

Emerald1234
4th Feb 2018, 8:17 PM
please do i think it'd be fun and a great experience.

CaliBrat
4th Feb 2018, 9:27 PM
Also you probably wouldn't really want a group of more then say 6 or 8 people as the more people you have the harder it would be to keep things clean and able to move it around in an orderly and timely manner.

joandsarah77
4th Feb 2018, 9:32 PM
@SneakyWingPhoenix You should probably start your own group since these people are already use to working together and may not want more people. Doesn't hurt to ask but just remember you may be told no. I would suggest first you upload a lot to the site so that you are a lot creator than once people can view your work you will have more purchase to ask for membership.

Justpetro
4th Feb 2018, 9:49 PM
If somebody starts a UC group, I will participate - and I would like to use all of UC personally (as said above, even with AGS, you still have to use Mansion&Gardens)

I believe that there are enough UC players to do this myself.

Emerald1234
4th Feb 2018, 9:52 PM
i'd participate and i know quite a few other probably would too.

so is this group getting started?

maxon
4th Feb 2018, 10:04 PM

Unfortunately, because of the way the exe is set up in the UC, you can build in base game, yes, but you have to have M&G as well.

SneakyWingPhoenix
4th Feb 2018, 10:53 PM
@SneakyWingPhoenix You should probably start your own group since these people are already use to working together and may not want more people. Doesn't hurt to ask but just remember you may be told no. I would suggest first you upload a lot to the site so that you are a lot creator than once people can view your work you will have more purchase to ask for membership.
Good idea. Any ideas how should I call it. "Let's Build A Neighborhood Together" ? Actually I might go with that. Turns out to be a great abbreviation as well.

joandsarah77
4th Feb 2018, 11:11 PM
Good name. :D

SparkySays
5th Feb 2018, 4:02 AM
A UC hood building group is such a great idea :)

SneakyWingPhoenix
5th Feb 2018, 11:29 AM
Created. You can now join.

Justpetro
5th Feb 2018, 12:30 PM

joandsarah77
5th Feb 2018, 12:53 PM
So long as you realize that is a social group (a good place to discuss what you are doing) not a modding/creating group such as the hood Building group.

SneakyWingPhoenix
5th Feb 2018, 1:10 PM
I never played in hood building groups that you guys speak of. So no clue what it's on about P:

joandsarah77
5th Feb 2018, 1:15 PM
The Hood Building group is a creating group. http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=9293562 All the avatars are the members and you can find their group uploads under there. Every time the group uploads each member is counted with a download.

SneakyWingPhoenix
5th Feb 2018, 1:21 PM
So each of the uploads are uploaded by somebody? Interesting.

HugeLunatic
5th Feb 2018, 1:23 PM
So each of the uploads are uploaded by somebody? Interesting.

It's usually jawusa as she spearheads the hood design. We don't just upload willy nilly, it's something that was worked on in the group. :)

Justpetro
5th Feb 2018, 1:25 PM
We will work on it :)

HugeLunatic
5th Feb 2018, 1:28 PM
Was gonna add to my last post...oh well. :anime:

Just wanted to let everyone know there is another group that was in the works proposing something very much like this. Mentoring for Builders (http://www.modthesims.info/groups.php) has a build a shell and share for decorating, but this group encompasses all three games.

pannisim
5th Feb 2018, 6:19 PM
I don't have the UC, so obviously I can't join, but I wish the group luck. Hopefully all of you will come together and have a wonderful time :)

gdayars
5th Feb 2018, 10:40 PM
@pannisim if you have EVERYTHING I don't see why not?

Justpetro
6th Feb 2018, 2:11 PM
Anybody with all expansion and stuff packs (exception: Store Edition) can join, because that is what UC consists of.

kerri191
6th Feb 2018, 3:13 PM
Looks fun, and I'm definitely up for it.

pannisim
6th Feb 2018, 3:23 PM
Anybody with all expansion and stuff packs (exception: Store Edition) can join, because that is what UC consists of.

Oh ? Is that it ? I thought UC was some special thing...this makes me very happy!! :) I joined the group, looks fun!!

Rosebine
6th Feb 2018, 4:22 PM
Does that mean that since I do have Store edition, I cannot join? or are you just stating what's in the UC?
I do not want to participate, I am just curious. :)

joandsarah77
6th Feb 2018, 9:29 PM
Store addition is bad news. I'm not even sure if people without SA can download your lots. (SA acts as another EP) You would do well to be rid of it.

Rosebine
6th Feb 2018, 9:59 PM
Well, that's your opinion.
It is called Edition not Addition. lol
And one way to know for sure, would be for me to upload a lot, and for someone to try to install it. Then we'd all be sure.

Modder
6th Feb 2018, 10:12 PM
Folks on tumblr did something similar at http://simscommunityproject.tumblr.com/ where, if I recall correctly, the founder of the project created a terrain and allowed people to create lots for the neighborhood (all lots needed to have flat edges). Eventually I think it turned into the founder putting down lot placeholders to plan out the city and then taking pictures and making a list of empty lots (with their respective lot sizes) so participants could build houses and community lots to fill in the spaces. All the lots were empty and the project eventually allowed people to create sims who would become townies, NPCs, in-game families, etc. for the neighborhood.

The only thing is the person running the entire thing was responsible for putting it all together for the main hood download, so if there's a hood building group tackling a project like this, y'all might try a different approach.

Zena-Dew-Drop
6th Feb 2018, 10:49 PM
And one way to know for sure, would be for me to upload a lot, and for someone to try to install it. Then we'd all be sure.
I'm not sure it is just an opinion, I found this:
"The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection comes with all the expansion and stuff packs of The Sims 2, except... the Store Edition. The store edition overrides all other expansion packs. If you had this installed previously, the Ultimate Collection will not be able to load your save games. The result: an empty main menu, with no neighborhoods to choose from."

I think that means if you were a part of the group and you made a change to the save file, everyone else who doesn't have Store Edition
wouldn't be able to load the save. That's what I'm getting at least?
Source: https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/restore-sims-2-store-edition-in-ultimate-collection

Rosebine
6th Feb 2018, 10:57 PM
Bad news is kind or harsh, and yes is an opinion...an EP-racist one.
For I have never encounter any trouble having this installed. If my only troubles would be that I must uninstall Store before downloading UC, I do not call this trouble.
This just means another, new, EAGames folder, and I have no plan on switching to the UC, not everyone has to.
I would not know what would be your save file exactly? But as I said, I am not interested in joining in. I got curious about what Petro posted.

joandsarah77
6th Feb 2018, 11:01 PM
Edition-Addition... I do have a brain condition and everyone should know I mix up things sometimes by now.

Store Edition is bad news, that's a known certainty not my opinion. As to the lot sharing, as I said I am not sure on that.

Rosebine
6th Feb 2018, 11:08 PM
I did not know, it's not like I know you personally huh, I hope that's not too bad.
You already told me what your opinion was about the lot sharing. And I posted in the creator's feedback about it.
Ok..a certainty if it pleases you. I guess I'll have to witness bad news in my game then. Wish me luck.

Bulbizarre
6th Feb 2018, 11:14 PM
I think there is a way to get either the neighbourhoods or lots in the Store Edition working in a more standard Sims 2 configuration, but it requires some fiddling with SimPE.

joandsarah77
6th Feb 2018, 11:25 PM
Something I was born with, I have epilepsy and memory problems. I have mentioned it now and then over the years, but maybe not in so much detail.

It doesn't please me. I do know that there are ways around SE but I've never looked into it closely since I have never had it. A friend of mine lost all of her hoods after reinstalling to a new computer since she no longer had (I think Double Delux) but new separate disks without the SE. None of her hoods showed up on her new install and she lost it all. Mootilda said it acted like another EP and that her new installation was like she had uninstalled her latest EP so everything disappeared. If you can get rid of it, do so. It doesn't give you anything since the store is gone. Since then I have heard there is a way to be rid of it like ihate said.

Rosebine
6th Feb 2018, 11:33 PM
Your friend would probably have been able to simply redownload it from origin. This is where I redownload it, every time I switched computer. Once you have it, it is there for you to download. Just as the UC is, or any other sim games you once bought & registered.
Yes, it does give me something, i do not need my M&G cd to play, as I said. This is the only reason I keep re-download it when i change computer. My choice I guess.
I do not need ways around it, I have no trouble with, it. :)
I just asked ONE question...and look how the whole thing got derailed...and my question could not even be answer for sure. ahah! whew! That'll learns me.
Me done here. have fun with this, I'll be sure to check it out!

joandsarah77
6th Feb 2018, 11:36 PM
This was before the UC.

Well good, so long as you always have it your hoods will stay safe. :)

Modder
7th Feb 2018, 12:35 AM
Does store edition even work anymore? I thought since the sims 2 store got shut down it wasn't usable. I somehow had it in my origin library and used its existence to get a free copy of UC from an origin support tech... even though I'd never used the sims 2 store. I know if you contact origin support chat you can still get the UC, so it might be worth trying to get a copy of. That way you could take part in any future UC hood building without having Store Edition conflicts!

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 12:43 AM
I do have the UC as a download in my origin. And yes, the store edition works, it is the exe i use to start my game, and have for years.
It is just an EP. It has its own folder in my program files, along with all other ep and sp.
Like you, I get the M&G loading/splash screen when the game loads. Like you, I must look for AL or M&G updated mods and hacks.

gdayars
7th Feb 2018, 1:19 AM
I never had store edition but I do know that it is considered its own expansion pack that causes problems with neighborhoods not being compatible if you go from store edition to non store edition, due to lack of an expansion pack. Suffice it to say, it would be the same with lots I would imagine.

Simpe even lists it as its own pack in its file table.

Anyway, the question is whether it would interfere with building with the group. I just looked it up, people would be required to use clean installer to install, as the original installer would refuse to, saying a pack is missing.

This is where I got the info from. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=513918 so Clean installer works because it ignores packs evidently? However I am not sure that it would be a good idea to build with a group that doesn't have that pack, as that requires clean installer to install any lot built with the store edition, and even if it worked, due to someone somewhere, wouldn't read that instruction, or would balk, wondering if it was safe to do so.

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 1:37 AM
Good thing, every simmer uses Clean Installer nowadays.Well, almost everyone. I presume only very new to the sims 2 simmer might still use the game's installer. ;)

Justpetro
7th Feb 2018, 6:21 AM
Look, while it is possible to force the Store Edition to work with UC, it has caused problems in the past with neighbourhoods not showing up. It came up more than once and, besides that, it is not recommended to use the Store Edition with UC. Obviously players who have bought the Store Edition in the past will find it in their Origin library, but that does not mean it should be used with UC.

So for that reason, I would be wary to work with somebody on a hood who uses it.

I would also expect everyone to use Clean Installer - it works perfectly with the UC anyway, so there is no reason not to use it.

jaytee95
7th Feb 2018, 8:00 AM
And one way to know for sure, would be for me to upload a lot, and for someone to try to install it. Then we'd all be sure.I obliviously installed Store Edition when I installed from a Double Deluxe DVD on my old computer that no longer works. It also causes the game to work a bit differently than the regular edition and increases the amount of built-in corruption (I remember wondering why Brandi Broke was thinking about strange black and red lines while reading or sleeping, and that was the very first house I played). I was, however, able to install compatible lots from the downloads section here on it.
My current install of the game on my current computer, I made sure not to install the Store Edition.

Chris Hatch
7th Feb 2018, 1:21 PM
I installed Store Edition onto a spare computer yesterday to confirm the new A&N can work with it.
There is two versions of Store Edition Pre Freetime version had an EP value of 12, the new one that comes with Fun with Pets collection has a whopping EP value of 31, M&G is 17 so any neighbourhood saved with the newer Store Edition has no chance of being opened by anything else. However Store Edition adds nothing to the game that isn't in M&G, once you make the required change to a 'hood saved in Store Edition to get it to open in M&G it works fine. Anything created for M&G works just fine in Store Edition and anything created in Store Edition is fine in M&G.

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 1:27 PM
Look, while it is possible to force the Store Edition to work with UC, it has caused problems in the past with neighbourhoods not showing up. It came up more than once and, besides that, it is not recommended to use the Store Edition with UC. Obviously players who have bought the Store Edition in the past will find it in their Origin library, but that does not mean it should be used with UC
Of course not. You either have everything on discs, or everything on discs + Store(digital DL) or the UC, certainly not UC + Store.
@Chris Hatch might be a stupid question but, how do i find the ep value for my Store edition?
I guess I am on the old one as I do not have Fun with Pets which is a bundle I guess.

AndrewGloria
7th Feb 2018, 1:34 PM
. . .once you make the required change to a 'hood saved in Store Edition to get it to open in M&G it works fine.This is a purely academic question for me, as my highest EP is OFB, but what is the "required change" you have to make? It sounds like it night be something in a Property Set to me.
[EDIT] Ninja'd by Rosebine! . . . I think?!

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 1:39 PM
Not at all Andrew..I did not ask Chris that question ;) Maybe i should have, but no. ;)

Chris Hatch
7th Feb 2018, 1:52 PM
From windows registry
HKLM \SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\The Sims 2
"EPsInstalled"="Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,Sims2SP1.exe,Sims2SP2.exe,Sims2EP4.exe,Sims2EP5.exe,Sims2SP4.exe,Sims2SP5.exe,Sims2EP6.exe,Sims2SP6.exe,,Sims2EP7.exe,
Sims2SP7.exe,Sims2SP8.exe,Sims2EP8.exe,Sims2EP9.exe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sims2SC.exe"
Note the gap between Sims2SP6.exe and Sims2EP7.exe which is where the old SE would go.
Count the comers between Sims2EP9.exe and Sims2SC.exe to see how high it's EP value is.
I never took a lot notice of that until I was looking at a neighbourhood saved in SE which has an EP value of 0x1f and realized how extraordinarily high it is.

joandsarah77
7th Feb 2018, 2:05 PM
Wow, 31 that's crazy. Interesting to know.

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 2:10 PM
Ok! I finally found this. There is nothing between my There is 2 comas between them, instead of one, like in your example/text between my Sims2SP6.exe and Sims2EP7.exe, and the number of comers between Sims2EP9.exe and Sims2SC.exe is 14...again, just like in your example/text.

marka93
7th Feb 2018, 6:23 PM
How do I join it?

We often open a thread in the Creator Feedback for Sims 2 like this one now: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=606192 and we are asking for families to add to the hood.

simsample
7th Feb 2018, 9:07 PM
@Rosebine @AndrewGloria

See also this thread where Chris explains how to edit a hood saved with Store edition so that it opens without:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=5228757#post5228757

Rosebine
7th Feb 2018, 9:36 PM
Thank you Simsample, this was quite informative. But my IDNO is not what Chris says it should be..OR, I simply cannot understand it. There is no 0x1F to be found. maybe a picture would help.
But now it is confirmed, I can share my Lots. @joandsarah77 :)
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=606964
For anyone interested to read.