PDA

View Full Version : Girls vs. Sex and the City

Original_Sim
9th Oct 2014, 1:14 PM
Does anybody else watch this navel-gazing, trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy hipster show on HBO? Is Lena Dunham the voice of her generation? Personally, I think it makes Sex and the City seem more realistic. Girls does not deserve the praise it gets for being real and insightful.

Even real people are not that fucked up.

Does Hannah make Carrie Bradshaw more palatable? Can Cynthia Nixon's acting give the entire cast of Girls a run for their money? Do you prefer Samantha's smarmy attitude to Jessa's stoicism? Is Marnie just a bitchified Charlotte played by a less superior actor? Which show does sexual and racial minorities justice? Are you Team Adam or Team Aidan? Is the cinematography innovative or Instagram-ish?

Why is Lena Dunham always naked? At least Kim Cattrall had reason to be.

Discuss.

Original_Sim
9th Oct 2014, 1:36 PM
I've never seen Girls but Sex and the City is a very big guilty pleasure of mine. Is Girls defo worth avoiding?
Although there are obvious similarities, Girls is very different in tone and content.

Some say it's more gritty and "real", which is partly true. But I doubt people's lives are that bleak for such long periods of time. They just seem so miserable all the time. Sex and the City had good sex, bad sex, really bad sex, etc. Girls is on its third season and most of the sex these characters are having are still awkward and unpleasant. It's almost as if Lena Dunham can't imagine real sex being...sexy.

And unlike Carrie and her friends, Hannah and the other girls seem more like frenemies than anything else.

I'd say the show lacks heart. The main characters seem void of certain human emotions (e.g. empathy) and it leaves you feeling cold.

Gabrymato
10th Oct 2014, 8:06 AM
I never watched Girls but I did watch all the seasons of SATC and the two movies. It is not my favorite show ever, but I really liked it, especially the last seasons.
Besides their fashion and lifestyle, which would be unaffordable to most - I mean, I could not eat out every meal and I could never afford to spend so much money on clothes, but maybe it's just me - I think SATC was pretty real. The character development was very well done in my opinion, and at least Miranda had to struggle with what normal people have to struggle with nowadays: problematic relationships, living in a small space, not having time to do anything, anxiety etc. Even Charlotte and her hopeless romantic ambition were very real to me. I never really liked Carrie that much, she whines too much, and Samantha, well, who does not appreciate such a humorous character?
I saw a couple promo trailers for Girls, but nothing really screamed "you gotta watch this" to me.

ChinchillaJesus
10th Oct 2014, 2:06 PM
I've never seen Sex and the City, thank God. I originally thought it was about 3 hookers and their mom.

Original_Sim
13th Oct 2014, 3:08 AM
I've never seen Sex and the City, thank God. I originally thought it was about 3 hookers and their mom.
Bitch, please! There is no law that says older women can't have sex.

frenchyxo22
21st Nov 2014, 5:21 AM
I found it amusing one of the girls from Girls (Allison Williams to be exact) is the daughter of Brian Williams a well known national news anchor on NBC

Imagine, watching Brian talk about foreign policies and serious topics on your tv screen and then you go watch his daughter on HBO in a sex show

Lol I can not take him serious anymore during the news, I just cant do it...

And SOTC will always rock! Girls is just a pathetic attempt of mediocre looking...well girls.

efolger997
22nd Nov 2014, 7:34 AM
I haven't seen either of them but I can say I'm not such a big fan of "gritty realism." The world is gritty and real enough for me; I'd rather read an actual memoir than watch a fictionalized version of how depressing the world is. If I am reading or watching fiction I'd rather it be a bit more uplifting and sparkly than real life. And, come on, not all sex is awkward and bad - or if it appears to be from an outsider's point of view, there's a reason the participants are doing it. :P

arslan1
13th Jan 2015, 6:54 PM
I never watched Girls but I did watch all the seasons of SATC and the two movies. It is not my favorite show ever, but I really liked it, especially the last seasons. leather4sure (http://www.leather4sure.net/9574/leather-jacket/studded-leather-jacket.htm) Besides their fashion and lifestyle, which would be unaffordable to most - I mean, I could not eat out every meal and I could never afford to spend so much money on clothes, but maybe it's just me - I think SATC was pretty real.