PDA

View Full Version : I refuse to watch this because the title offends me, am I the only one?

Dizzy-noodles
9th Sep 2014, 3:09 AM
Hiya. So lately there's loads of adverts on TV for a new programme on Channel 4. It's supposed to be about teenagers working at a stables, and they've called it Glue. As a horse lover myself, I find this really offensive, and I will absolutely not be watching this programme because of that.

But surely if it's set in a stables, they would want horsey people to watch it? So why give it such a horrible title? I don't get it.

Have you ever had similar experiences, where something like this completely put you off watching something?

NabucodonosorII
9th Sep 2014, 3:19 AM
Well, I don't think this is offensive. Maybe because english is not my first language or because here in Brazil we have so many offensive tv show that we are used to. haha
:|
By the way, I don't even watch tv anymore... The internet conquered me totally.

Mistermook
9th Sep 2014, 3:53 AM
Have you ever had similar experiences, where something like this completely put you off watching something?

No.

(Additional text supplied to satisfy the requirement that I provide more words than are sufficient to reply.)

Marcos_Edson
9th Sep 2014, 4:00 AM
At first, I thought it was some reality show about teens working is a stable but in fact itīs a crime drama... :blink:
I can only wonder why the name 'Glue', it looks so random... :|

Gabrymato
9th Sep 2014, 7:26 AM
Sorry, English isn't my native language either. Where's the pun/offensive joke?

StupidFlanders
9th Sep 2014, 8:36 AM
Sorry, English isn't my native language either. Where's the pun/offensive joke?
Sick/old horses often get sold to factories that make glue out of them or something, I'm not sure.

spladoum
9th Sep 2014, 12:31 PM
The stable setting is probably secondary to the fact that it's about teenagers. It's thoughtless, yes, but I doubt it was done with the express goal of offending horse-lovers.

Gabrymato
9th Sep 2014, 3:50 PM
Sick/old horses often get sold to factories that make glue out of them or something, I'm not sure.
I thought so. But I don't see how that could be considered offensive...?

RoseCity
9th Sep 2014, 5:54 PM
Maybe they also huff glue? And/or maybe the horses are really old and got rescued from auctions. Which would be nice. (just making stuff up as I go).

GnatGoSplat
12th Sep 2014, 4:50 PM
Maybe it's offensive because when people love something, they don't like to think of it being killed to make something out of.
So a horse lover would be offended by a show called "Glue".
Pig lover would be offended by a show called "Bacon".
Cow lover would be offended by a show called "Burgers".
Chicken lover would be offended by a show called "McNuggets".

On the other hand, were people offended with Soylent Green? Because we all love somebody, and soylent green is people.

StupidFlanders
12th Sep 2014, 5:32 PM
I'm a vegan and I feel offended by all of the above.

moonstarforever
12th Sep 2014, 9:39 PM
Some glue is made out of horses?
I'm sticking with tape...

joandsarah77
12th Sep 2014, 10:12 PM
Horse hooves to be precise and I agree as an animal lover I find that title offensive as well.

TotallyJW
13th Sep 2014, 12:35 AM
I don't know this show at all, but maybe they're going for a dual meaning or something. Like.. glue as in dead horse, but also as in the stables are what is keeping the group of friends together.. Or something.
I love animals myself, but I'm not really offended. It's a stupid title yeah, but eh I dunno.

As for myself, for some reason the word Glee pisses me off so much. So I can't get into the show at all because of that.

simperatrix
15th Sep 2014, 7:28 PM
As for myself, for some reason the word Glee pisses me off so much. So I can't get into the show at all because of that.

Glue, Glee...what's next, Glow? Is there a show called Glow yet?
I live under a rock and am so out of the pop culture loop that I wouldn't know if there is...

At first, I thought it was some reality show about teens working is a stable but in fact itīs a crime drama... :blink:
I can only wonder why the name 'Glue', it looks so random... :|

What annoys me sometimes is that so many shows just have seemingly random names that make Googling more difficult. For example, I like to look up images of architecture and miniatures. At some point, I noticed that my image searches were being flooded by glossy TV photos. "What the heck is this?" That's how I found out about shows like House, Castle, and Dollhouse. Couldn't they have used some other name?!? :(