PDA

View Full Version : An important poll: your opinion needed!

HystericalParoxysm
20th Jul 2014, 10:10 AM
A great debate has begun raging around the sims community, and it is of the utmost importance that you weigh in and let your voice be heard on this divisive issue!

Bettsyman
20th Jul 2014, 11:31 AM
I always thought it was like the second option, like Give

CatMuto
20th Jul 2014, 11:52 AM
Live. Like alive. Yeah.

C-A

Menaceman44
20th Jul 2014, 11:58 AM
I has to be as in rhyming with "give".
My reasoning for this is that "build" and "buy" are both "doing" words; they allow you to build and buy respectively.
Therefore, Live mode allows you to live.

Inge Jones
20th Jul 2014, 12:41 PM
Will we be able to take the results to Graham to convince him he has it wrong?

joandsarah77
20th Jul 2014, 12:48 PM
I say it as live rhymes with alive. Maybe it also has something to do with what country you're from?

eskie227
20th Jul 2014, 12:50 PM
Live like alive. I tried to say it out loud repeatedly the other way just to try it out, and there's no way it sounds correct to my ears. Maybe because it's too reminiscent of "Live Strong", which is where that pronunciation makes sense, but now generates bad memories about Lance.

HystericalParoxysm
20th Jul 2014, 12:53 PM
Will we be able to take the results to Graham to convince him he has it wrong?

Of course. We must storm the EA hedge maze with our damning results! Assuming those results are actually damning...

pirate_wolf_12
20th Jul 2014, 12:53 PM
"Oh yeah, my favourite mode is 'Liv' mode." - People whom I will be pardoned for murdering.

It doesn't make sense to say and you are a terrible person if you pronounce it like that. Literally the worst.

RoseCity
20th Jul 2014, 1:03 PM
I think that two EA employees would know the definitive pronunciation. But if someone can't accept that, they're free to pronounce it any way they want inside their own minds. (for voting purposes: 'live' as in 'alive'.

gelis
20th Jul 2014, 1:10 PM
Omg, I better get a dog and a police patrol around my house then as I say it exactly like it is written, like L-I-V-E. (hopefully they'll send hot coppers)

And if I were to forced to say it in English, it would rhyme with give.

applefeather2
20th Jul 2014, 1:27 PM
Sim Lyves depend on the correctness of this most important subject. Their little lives are lived in lyve mode.
C'mon, they live, lyve, not half alive.
Since they are so lively, they can't be livly. Except at the end of that last video.
ONLY LIVER & onions would be the correct way to use that short "i".

lysak1989
20th Jul 2014, 1:44 PM
I call it Live Mode (with the long i sound), but I understand the argument of saying it with the short i sound, as it is an action. Live is just easier to say for me.

Lamare
20th Jul 2014, 1:52 PM
Uh. I've never thought about this before and now that I encountered this huge dilemma I can't stop thinking! How am I gonna sleep now? I don't know the answer, but I picked "Live, like alive", because, I guess, I think, someone told me...

Monsoon
20th Jul 2014, 1:55 PM
Dunno if it's correct, but I usually think to myself (as I don't talk about the Sims to my friends) /'laɪv, so as in alive, not /'lɪv, as in "Livin' Large."

BlakeS5678
20th Jul 2014, 2:03 PM
I say "Live Mode" as in living or to live (rhyming with give)... When I think of "Live Mode" (alive) I think of "Live Television". There's no other time I hear live with the long 'i'. So....

*ducks tomatoes*

Klinn2
20th Jul 2014, 2:19 PM
I couldn't live with myself if I pronounced it that way.

(Edit: That was supposed to be a joke :))

~MadameButterfly~
20th Jul 2014, 2:44 PM
Oh...live, like alive. I didn't realize that the issue was that to some it is pronounced like give. Never even crossed my mind that it could be pronounced that way. (Does not compute.) I used to call it alive, but now I just call it live.

Gargoyle Cat
20th Jul 2014, 3:06 PM
When the game is paused, obviously nothing is moving or going on.

When the game goes live ( with a long i) sims continue with whatever they were doing.

This is how I've always thought of it.

LordXenophon
20th Jul 2014, 3:27 PM
it's "live' as opposed to "build," not "live" as opposed to "pre-recorded." Both are verbs. Change them to gerunds and you have what the two modes are for - living and building.

FranH
20th Jul 2014, 3:34 PM
Live as said in "alive" -as opposed to dead, said as 'ded'.

Much like this new game...oops.

CatherineTCJD
20th Jul 2014, 3:53 PM
Well... I'm from the South (via Seattle) so I pronounciate all sorts of words wrong: like "O"-range, Kaw-fee, and Weee-Feee...
But, Live Mode for my simmies is always pronounced "live" :blink:

Ya'll are just too funny :giggler:

ewenk7
20th Jul 2014, 4:12 PM
…Annnnd yet another reason MTS is the greatest fansite ever.

Gargoyle Cat
20th Jul 2014, 4:20 PM
Weee-Feee...

What is a Weee-feee?

I live in MA, so words like 'wicked' do not always in imply that something is evil. On the contrary, usually 'wicked' means something good.

I digress.

sushigal007
20th Jul 2014, 4:44 PM
Live as in alive. Because you go from build/buy mode to going live.

Vivenda
20th Jul 2014, 5:34 PM
The verb would be pronounced as in 'give'; the adjective is pronounced like 'hive' or 'alive'. Therefore, the second one is correct, as 'live' describes 'mode'!

imarock79
20th Jul 2014, 6:10 PM
What is a Weee-feee?

Maybe it is WiFi, pronounced Why-Figh, rhymes with cry and sigh.

Both emotions that descibe Sims 4.
Not buying Sims 4 for quite awhile.

And it is live like in alive or dive.
Oh wait, no pools.

Margaret Pendragon
20th Jul 2014, 6:15 PM
I said it like aLIVE (without the a, of course). It doesn't matter either way, but the condescension some had about the topic was interesting.

mustluvcatz
20th Jul 2014, 6:21 PM
Well. Since the "mustluvcatz is awesome" button seems to be missing, I had to go with the least clicked button "I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons" because buttons deserve love too. And that one is surely not feeling the love right now!

siletka
20th Jul 2014, 6:25 PM
I've never thought about the reasoning behind it. I've always just said Live as in Alive. Because in the other two modes, the game is paused. Hence you're going back to Live mode to see everything in action.

Gutterfly
20th Jul 2014, 6:38 PM
It honestly never occurred to me that it could be "liv" as opposed to "lyve". Saying that, now that it's been pointed out, Liv Mode makes more sense but sounds so wrong. Which does it translate closer to in other languages? I'd be interested to know if the translation is consistent enough to suggest which might have been intended in English, and indeed whether there's a translator effect of it ending up however the person responsible thought it was in English, and thus influencing how the player reads the word on English language message boards.

lil bag2
20th Jul 2014, 6:41 PM
I always called it live (rhymes with give) mode

CatherineTCJD
20th Jul 2014, 6:48 PM
What is a Weee-feee?

WiFi. Of course. :blink:
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live" :D
:llama:

lavalie
20th Jul 2014, 6:49 PM
I'm not a native English speaker, and I always said it like "alive". If you translate it to my language, "liv" mode doesn't even make sense, but (a)live mode makes perfect sense.

OneLessSimmer
20th Jul 2014, 6:51 PM
Live, like alive. I want to meet whomever says live, like living, because I've never ever heard that.

Gargoyle Cat
20th Jul 2014, 7:09 PM
WiFi. Of course. :blink:
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.

:llama:

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Ghost sdoj
20th Jul 2014, 7:25 PM
If I've been building or creating sims, it's Live as "alive" Otherwise it's occasionally live that rhymes with give. (Mostly it depends on what I've just been reading.)

lisfyre
20th Jul 2014, 7:25 PM
Wow!! Good poll and interesting discussion :) I obviously have nothing more to contribute other than to say I have always pronounced Live Mode - lyve. Like most I haven't met anyone that says "liv" mode..... at least not yet :)

DarkMirage
20th Jul 2014, 7:37 PM
I've always pronounced it as live, like alive. I am controlling my Sims lives, so it seems the appropriate way to say it.

Orilon
20th Jul 2014, 7:50 PM
I've always called it live, like alive in my head since I started playing Sims 2 in 2010. I didn't realize that the like give pronunciation existed until this poll.

gurlgamer09
20th Jul 2014, 8:05 PM
Live like in give. When I thnk of live like in alive I'm thinking of live performances or something. I think it's live because the sims are living their lives in that mode :)

sapphy1758
20th Jul 2014, 8:27 PM
Wow, it honestly never occurred to me that it could be pronounced live as in alive. I don't think that's quite right though, because then it doesn't follow the naming logic of the other modes: you buy in buy mode, build in build mode. It just makes sense to me that you would then live in live mode.
English is interesting isn't it? :lol:

Averex
20th Jul 2014, 8:35 PM
I always thought it was Live like "alive," but ever since he said Live like "give" in the gameplay video I was like "Wait...so I've been saying it the wrong way for the past 10 years?" :lol:

Averex
20th Jul 2014, 8:37 PM
I've always pronounced it as live, like alive. I am controlling my Sims lives, so it seems the appropriate way to say it.

Yeah, I mainly thought of it that way because when you're in build and buy mode the game is paused, but then the game is "live" in live mode. :P

Lamare
20th Jul 2014, 9:00 PM
I always thought it was Live like "alive," but ever since he said Live like "give" in the gameplay video I was like "Wait...so I've been saying it the wrong way for the past 10 years?" :lol:
Well, at least this video introduced something really new! One tiny word for SimGuru, one breakthrough for sims community. :)

Avacop310
20th Jul 2014, 9:05 PM
Live for the game mode as in broadcasting live, live in concert, live as in active, etc.

cord11
20th Jul 2014, 9:19 PM
i always read as live, as in you live in a city/suburb/town/etc. since i first played the Sims 2 when i was 7 (i think i was 7 anyway) and i didn't even know that people called it live as in live news/concert/video/etc

marka93
20th Jul 2014, 9:41 PM
The Turtle Man says it best in "LiveAction" and it does not rhymes with give.

eufl
20th Jul 2014, 9:49 PM
I really never before thought about it. Build and Buy, Live and Die. So the right pronunciation would indeed be like in "to live". But: away from this there is something called linguistic usage...
I always preferred to say life mode. I see no reason to change...
Third Button needed love....

AgentTexas
20th Jul 2014, 10:01 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was like "what?" when it was pronounced like that xD I just paused the video and thought about the last 10 years I've been playing the sims and said it the other way.

ShadowDhampire3
20th Jul 2014, 10:48 PM
Personally, I say it can be both; here's why:
Live like alive because what are you doing? You proceed with life as any other day occurance. Thus, the play button.
Ex: And we're live in 4...3...2...1... *Cues*

It COULD also be live like give because of LIVE mode having their slogan: "Live life." You're LIVING out the lives of your sims.
Ex: Live the way you want to in the sims.

This is why English is a confusing language for others. We have too many words that could be another.

iamtrebla
20th Jul 2014, 11:33 PM
it's live like give. 3 verbs. buy, build, and live.

wickedjr89
20th Jul 2014, 11:40 PM
Live, rhymes with alive. Liv mode just sounds so wrong to my ears >.<

Anshin Lanugo
21st Jul 2014, 12:46 AM
Live, like alive.
Live, as compared to paused for build or buy mode.

Example: The news when they say "We're going LIVE to the scene!" :report:

yavannatw
21st Jul 2014, 1:30 AM
Never actually thought about it before. I tend to say 'live' with a long vowel. Live with a short vowel, just sounds wrong next to mode. Perhaps a different, and less confusing, word altogether should've been used.

Stripes_of_Doom
21st Jul 2014, 2:07 AM
I never thought about the way I pronounce it but I say live, like give. Possibly because I encounter the 'liv' version more than the 'lyve' version. I don't really care how people pronounce it though. It's like a potato, potato situation to me.

Zarathustra
21st Jul 2014, 2:27 AM
I have an opinion, but I also just like to click buttons! What should I do!?! I can't handle the stress!!! ;)

Dogdancer
21st Jul 2014, 2:46 AM
Who cares? I don't.

Don Babilon
21st Jul 2014, 3:22 AM
[enters Superior Smartass Mode™]
Well, for all you grammar know-nothings, the correct pronunciation of Live Mode is of course 'lyve', because it is not the verb 'to live' that is used here but the adjective 'live' as in 'having life'.
You have been fooled by Buy/Build Mode and erroneous logic, thinking that 'buy' and 'build' are used as verbs here and therefore 'live' has to be a verb, too, but in fact these verbs are used as attributive verbs, which means they function roughly like adjectives. Another example would be 'no-go area'. The same can be done with nouns, btw, as in 'face mask' where the noun 'face' is not a full noun, so to speak, but an adjunct to 'mask'.
[ends Superior Smartass Mode™]

Edit: there's nothing to disagree with unless you come up with a proper explanation as to why 'liv' should be grammatically more correct.

Edit 2: changed the mode implied.

Tiraslin
21st Jul 2014, 4:42 AM
In computer programming, when you take a program out of development and into actual functioning, you go "live" (as in "alive"). Perhaps its my geek showing but I always assumed that the game designers had that in mind.

However, I don't give a rat's ass about how other people pronounce it. I say "melk" not "milk," so I figure I ought to be tolerant of other dialectical choices :smile:

NotScottish
21st Jul 2014, 5:04 AM
I say "live" like it rhymes with alive. Because the game is no longer paused, it's now live, or running, or playing.

Buckley
21st Jul 2014, 7:08 AM
Edit: there's nothing to disagree about unless you come up with a proper explanation as to why.
Proper explanation? Lol, okay. I pressed disagree because I don't appreciate being called a "grammar know-nothing", and the tone of your post generally annoyed me. I call it live mode, short i, in my head and will continue to do so, whether it's "erroneous logic" or not. However, that said, I frankly don't care what you and your fellow grammar know-somethings call it. *shrugs* To each his own.

/trying to embrace her bro trait ;)

FederalCloud384
21st Jul 2014, 7:38 AM
In my opinion is pronounced like "lyve"
(I'm not English)

bellakenobi
21st Jul 2014, 7:54 AM
When I read about the game in english, I've always read live (as alive) in my head. But in my language, "Live Mode" was translated to something like "Simulation Mode", soooo... guess that live (as give) would be correct '-'
*that feel when you've spent all your life thinking that something is A, and then you find out that it might be B*

Nixx802
21st Jul 2014, 8:58 AM
[QUOTE=CatherineTCJD]WiFi. Of course. :blink:

:llama:[/QUOTE

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend. :)

homekeys
21st Jul 2014, 8:59 AM
Both pronunciations can be correct in terms of context, because when you go to live mode the game is "going live" (as in alive) but it's also the mode your sims live in (as in give).

But of course it's live like alive and my logic for this is irrefutable: it's because ummm I said so :jest:

This discussion is literally a joke, though... So there's seriously no need to be condescending over which one is ~grammatically correct~ or not. Can we play nice?

Nixx802
21st Jul 2014, 9:05 AM
Personally, in my head I've always called it live, as in alive. But that doesn't mean that the other way is wrong, it's just how our brains read it. It's crazy how angry and offended people are getting over one little word. Seriously, chill out. :)

kaiity
21st Jul 2014, 10:15 AM
I always thought it was Live mode too. It just kinda made sence? But then you think about it and the other way makes sence too. Now I'm sittign here with a headace cause I'm so confused!! I might just never get off second speed so I don't confuse myself!

kaiity
21st Jul 2014, 10:19 AM

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend. :)

Not true, I'm from Aus and we say it Wi Fi the same as Hi Fi... :blink:

kluless
21st Jul 2014, 11:41 AM
I have to agree with Don_Babilon, live as in alive, as it's the adjective describing the mode, not the verb (live as in give) - you don't 'live' the mode...

:Pint: Prost!!

Nixx802
21st Jul 2014, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Nixx802]

Lol. Just my aunt then. Bless her.

Don Babilon
21st Jul 2014, 12:53 PM
Proper explanation? Lol, okay. I pressed disagree because I don't appreciate being called a "grammar know-nothing", and the tone of your post generally annoyed me. I call it live mode, short i, in my head and will continue to do so, whether it's "erroneous logic" or not. However, that said, I frankly don't care what you and your fellow grammar know-somethings call it. *shrugs* To each his own.

/trying to embrace her bro trait ;)Okay, I edited the post to reflect the tone that was intended. Hopefully this now reads that while my grammatic reasoning still holds the condescension was not to be taken seriously.

simsfreq
21st Jul 2014, 2:44 PM
I think we need a better poll with more demographics like age, amount of time playing sims, location, whether or not your first language is English. Then we can have some fun diving into statistics. (I have a weird feeling, that those who pronounce it as a verb are Brits and those who pronounce it as the adjective are Americans, just by posting style of the people who've replied already, but I could be wrong!)

Even better, let's have an entire sim community census and geek out on the stats.

It's the verb, to live, of course. To build, to buy, to live. If it was an adjective then the others would have been called "shop mode" and "construction mode"

Volvenom
21st Jul 2014, 3:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nixx802

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend.

I'm not native English and don't even see the difference between weefee and wi-fi. I call it live as in alive though, whenever I use that word, don't know if I do.

~Shasta~
21st Jul 2014, 6:02 PM
I've always said it like the verb, because that's what's happening when you play that mode. Your sims live.

To me, "live" with a long 'i' has one use and one use only: To describe events that aren't pre-recorded. Live television, live concerts, etc.

simsfreq
21st Jul 2014, 6:41 PM
It also has another use, to mean "alive". A live turtle, as opposed to a dead one.

Dizzy-noodles
21st Jul 2014, 6:46 PM
I think it's live (rhyming with give), because you have the choice of buying, building or living. It can't be live (rhyming with alive), because it's not a live broadcast.

lewisb40
21st Jul 2014, 7:22 PM
Graham has spoken. Well, it's still his opinion and it will not change my way of saying live (as in alive) because it sounds pretty. The other way is too gritty for me. :)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/mailchaser40/Pictures%201/ScreenShot102.png

Chicken0895
21st Jul 2014, 8:00 PM
Live (as in rhymes with give) sounds weird to me. I've always thought it was live (as in alive).

fakepeeps7
21st Jul 2014, 10:37 PM
You buy in Buy mode, build in Build mode, and live in Live mode. I thought that was obvious... :lol:

Mixceny
21st Jul 2014, 11:11 PM
...i dont know. i dont care. i just like clicking buttons.

no, i put that, but honestly i think "live" with the long i makes more sense.

toshibecca
22nd Jul 2014, 2:03 AM
My reasoning for this is that "build" and "buy" are both "doing" words; they allow you to build and buy respectively.

I never thought of it this way, but you make a great point. I always thought it was Live like alive, but now I'm starting to think maybe it's Live that rhymes with give. Hmm...

romcombo
22nd Jul 2014, 2:17 AM
I always considered it live mode (as in alive) because not only is it easier to explain; using the logic that it is live (as in give) mode, it means your Sims cease to live when building and buying, however, they are just paused and you can't pause life but you can pause something that's live (as in alive).... I hope that makes sense O.o

EDIT: Regardless of what is "correct" I will still call it live (as in alive) mode :)

Zarathustra
22nd Jul 2014, 2:29 AM
OK now, I wonder... @HystericalParoxysm called this a "a great debate" that has been "raging around" the community... yet this thread is the first I've heard of it. HP, are you just poking us lowly members with a stick and hoping for an entertaining response? If so, I salute you and your evil, Machiaveillian ways! ;)

The ForestBalrog
22nd Jul 2014, 2:41 AM
I've been playing for 10 years and been saying "Live" (rhymes with give) the entire time, so that's what I'm sticking to lol :P

tonicmole
22nd Jul 2014, 2:44 AM
Living mode. Live as in give is the correct answer. God told me so.

queziacristina
22nd Jul 2014, 3:14 AM
Meh, my game isn't even in English so I couldn't care less. People translated it to "simulation mode" in my version of the game(Portuguese/Brazil), and it makes more sense. Why do they even bother calling it "Live Mode"? I never knew people could live without being toddlers at some point of their lives.

Tuber101
22nd Jul 2014, 3:17 AM
Meh, my game isn't even in English so I couldn't care less. People translated it to "simulation mode" in my version of the game(Portuguese/Brazil), and it makes more sense. Why do they even bother calling it "Live Mode"? I never knew people could live without being toddlers at some point of their lives.

Oh look, it's this comment. Again.

OT: Totally live as in give. Turn away from your sins, MTS community!

JDacapo
22nd Jul 2014, 3:22 AM
Who cares? If ya wanna call it 'live' (as it give) then good on you. Why fight over something that stupid?

Issie
22nd Jul 2014, 3:50 AM
I was surprised when I heard Ryan saying "live mode" as in living as well. It has always been a-live mode for me.

When I think of a mode status then "Live mode" (a-live) makes more sense because otherwise you would have to call it "Living mode". Right?....

NightTorch
22nd Jul 2014, 4:01 AM
Buttons! *el clicko*

On topic though, never gave it much thought. My sims never stayed alive long enough for it to become an issue! :D

ophy111
22nd Jul 2014, 7:17 AM
Live in alive, because it's live like a performance. c:

Inge Jones
22nd Jul 2014, 7:51 AM
Graham's definitely outvoted here - why won't EA just give in and admit they were wrong all along?

iCad
22nd Jul 2014, 7:53 AM
Buttons! Clicky buttons! *shiny eyes*

Frankly, I don't really care, either way, but I've always called it "live as in a-live" because that's what your game is when it's in that mode. In the other two, it's paused and static and not...alive.

Also, in this case the words "buy" and "build" are being used as adjectives to describe the noun "mode." So, they are verbs that aren't being used as verbs. So, Graham's "verb, verb, verb" logic is...not. :) Although now that I've said that, I have no idea what shows if you hover over the buttons on the UI. Does it say, for instance, "Buy Mode" or does it just say, "Buy?" If it's the former and it's officially called Buy (or Build) Mode, then, yes, it would make more grammatical sense that Live Mode would be pronounced in the adjectival way rather than the verb way.

ETA, because I had to know :lol: :

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/icads_sims/ScreenShot07-22-14at0106AM.jpg

Dum dum dum duuuuuuuuuuum.... Of course, that's TS2; they might have changed the hover text for TS3. And no, I'm not going to go look. :)

lindali365
22nd Jul 2014, 9:31 AM
I voted on live, as in alive. Thank goodness they didn't use live, as in 'leave.' To tell you the truth, I couldn't watch any more than the first minute of the video (if that). Hey EA guys, you weren't cute and you aren't trendy.

Imma Simma
22nd Jul 2014, 10:18 AM
I say live as in 'alive', but that's just because it sounds more normal to me. Live (rhyming with 'give') mode just... I don't know, it just feels... wrong :blink:

lilrowan
22nd Jul 2014, 11:50 AM
Okay, I'll spell opt. 1 live and opt. 2 LIVE for clarification. In build mode, you will (hopefully) BUILD. You are building! In buy mode you will BUY. You are buying! Can you live? (live as in opt. 1) No! You can only LIVE! (Or kill off your sims) but you can't do it any other way. The mode is made for LIVEING, because you can't live. Say it aloud, I dare you, "I can live. I am liveing." Now say it the proper way, "I can LIVE. I am LIVEING." Who came up with that? Pfft, live mode? I think it's more logical for it to be LIVE mode because it's LIVING the life of your sims etc.. However, live makes sense in the context that you aren't inanimate, but have you ever heard of pause? Something you do in LIVE/live mode? Yeah, you CAN be frozen within the moving/living mode.
EDIT: I meant to mention that alive, though pronounced the same as live, means LIVE, so if you take the "a" off you have to pronounce it my way. :rofl:

egg1e
22nd Jul 2014, 2:38 PM
Another one of those tomayto/tomahto-potayto/potahto... gif/jif... almost :rofl:

Fine, for the sake of grammatical correctness, I'll go with \ˈlīv\ mode but will pronounce it as \ˈliv\ privately, no one can stop me *exercises right to be incorrect sometimes*

I think pronunciation only matters if you're gonna mention it orally, like in videos, and one can be reasonably excused if English is not their native language. In fact, where I live, the common pronounciation for (a)live is a-layb, and if mentioned consecutively at least twice, it colloquially refers to charismatic religious organizations.

zilaphone3190
22nd Jul 2014, 3:25 PM
I like how the vast majority have voted for aLIVE mode, even though apparently it's officially live (give) -at least according to the simguru tweet :)

I always felt it was live/alive mode because game is not active/happening when in build, buy, edit town and cas . And like 'cameras are live' from tv shows and movies.

Demecia
22nd Jul 2014, 6:15 PM
It's been "lyve" mode for me since before I can remember. Literally. I've been playing The Sims since before I can even remember. I'm sticking with a-live thank you very much. First off, it sounds a lot smoother. Second off, the game is "lyve" because the game is currently going and no one in this world knows what comes at the end; apart from eventual death, which is a given. As stated before, 'buy' and 'build' are being used as adjectives for the word 'mode', and therefore the proper word would be 'lyve' but spelled properly as 'live'. But I guess, in the end, everyone can say whatever it is they want to say because the Sims community is not a dictatorship. To each their own.

CircusWolf
22nd Jul 2014, 6:24 PM
There's a little logicality in both. but my logic is as follows.

going to build mode, going to buy mode, going to live(give) mode. You don't "going to live(alive) mode" unless you are saying "going live(alive) mode" which in itself sounds completely wrong. meh but this has prolly been said.

Gremily_
22nd Jul 2014, 7:42 PM
A few minutes ago I figured out that I've been playing The Sims for about 10 years.
Now I'm realizing I've been reading "live" mode and pronouncing it in my head as "life" mode. For all of those 10 years.

But here I am, casually sitting and burning out my brain trying to figure out which type of "live" it is.
(Voting wise, I put live as in give; like how somebody else mentioned, I went with the logic that "build" and "buy" are both actions, thus you "live" in live mode.)

AlienTheMighty
22nd Jul 2014, 8:37 PM
Live as in alive because that's the adjective. The adjective means "not dead or inanimate, living." When you're in build or buy everything is frozen, when you're in live mode everything comes alive.

FlyingAce
22nd Jul 2014, 8:41 PM
Oooh, shiny buttons! :D

TBH I never gave it much thought until now -- my game is in Spanish anyway...

trueLucif3r
22nd Jul 2014, 10:50 PM
Live-alive for me. Live, not paused. Like coming to you live from -- etc
Never thought of the alternative actually, u had me stuck as ---what--- for at least 5 seconds. ^^

TavishDeGroot
22nd Jul 2014, 11:52 PM
this poll is proof that we Simmers have way too much time on our hands :D

I mean I know what they meant but, I never thought much on it until I read this thread >.> ....look its a button! *pushes*

attuned
22nd Jul 2014, 11:56 PM
I have heard sim gurus say liv for a while now, and I know they pass down "the lore" to new staff. But perhaps it was written down, the first guru misread it, and they ALL have been saying it wrong ever since. After all, we have been playing the game a lot longer than they have, we love it more. Why should they have the last, definitive word on the subject? Long live LIVE!

xohsodebonairex
23rd Jul 2014, 1:17 AM
Graham has spoken. Well, it's still his opinion and it will not change my way of saying live (as in alive) because it sounds pretty. The other way is too gritty for me. :)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/mailchaser40/Pictures%201/ScreenShot102.png

:wtf:
This guy reminds me of my 9th grade history teacher who would spell words wrong all the time but then try to cover his tracks by saying something that he thought would make him sound intelligent -- like by pointing out that some words were spelled "his way" in the UK (He mispelled "color" on one occasion and tried to use that bologna as a scapegoat even though he spelled it "colur" not "colour").

It's okay Grahmn because there are 600+ people who think you're wrong. :deal:

Truth be told, I never thought too much about it. I just assumed everyone said Live (lahyv) Mode because most of my acquaintances and friends play The Sims and even the ones who don't live in America pronounce "live" like lahyv (just like I do), so yeah. Huh, guess this means I learned something new today. :blink:

zebaroth
23rd Jul 2014, 6:03 AM
What is it we are voting on

MadMagFreak
23rd Jul 2014, 6:36 AM
Oh look, it's this comment. Again.

to be fair, some of the foreign language localizations could help us "live-as-in-the-verb" supporters prove our point. i'd never even heard people were calling it "lyve mode" until this! i'm appalled! it's three verbs!

spanish, for example, gives us "modo vivir," "modo comprar," and "modo construir," aka live (as in rhymes with give) mode, buy mode, build mode.

any other languages have valuable insight?

Inge Jones
23rd Jul 2014, 7:44 AM
John Berges ‏@SimGuruJohn 12h
Fake Guru Fact: @SimGuruHouts pronounces "Live" mode like it rhymes with "Five" ... and "Build" mode like it rhymes with "Wheeled."

BritannicStepanova
23rd Jul 2014, 9:59 AM
I always thought it as live, like alike because you can pause the game like you can on live T.V..

egg1e
23rd Jul 2014, 10:18 AM
Can artistic/poetic license be invoked in this case? I mean the word "live" has its meanings depending on the pronounciation. And many here have their own interpretation of "live" mode in itself and in relation with "build" mode and "buy" mode.

ivyclarice
23rd Jul 2014, 12:05 PM
My wife and I actually discussed this once and both preferred "Live" (like "give"), again in keeping with the verb-based themes of Buy mode and Build mode. We joked that they could've made that their tag line in all the adverts: "Buy. Build. Live."

To us, it didn't make any sense that it would be two verbs (to build, to buy) and an adjective ("live" like "five"). However, neither of us would be the slightest bit bothered to discover that it should be "live" (like "five"), or bothered by any friends that use that instead of "live" (like "give").

We just love our fellow Simmers.

lexylu
23rd Jul 2014, 12:38 PM
I'm from Poland but I play the game in English and I always assumed it was live like alive. The live like give option never even crossed my mind to be honest. And it sounds really weird to me because I used the other option for years now. :giggler:
In the Polish version of the game you could either translate it as life mode or living mode. The other modes are called building mode and buying mode.

Reindeer911
23rd Jul 2014, 1:21 PM
Hukd on foniks werkd 4 mi! :-P

therover
23rd Jul 2014, 2:29 PM
From what I've seen, many translations of the game translate "Live mode" as a verb; hence the French "Mode Vie", the Spanish "Modo Vivir", and the Italian "Modalità vivi". So, I'll have to go with "rhymes with give".

Rusty55
23rd Jul 2014, 3:50 PM
I'm not native English and don't even see the difference between weefee and wi-fi. I call it live as in alive though, whenever I use that word, don't know if I do.

I am from the south and although we do have some strange ways of pronouncing words, I never heard it called wee fee down here.

Live as in alive, for me, too.

thesims3master
23rd Jul 2014, 4:25 PM
Before clicking on this topic I thought I was about to participate on something really, very important. And now I can say that I was right.

Johnny_Bravo
23rd Jul 2014, 4:31 PM
I like to press buttons.

Gremily_
23rd Jul 2014, 5:02 PM
I never realized us simmers could get so heated about a way of pronouncing a word. MTS is great.

Now, what I want to know is how do people pronounce simoleans?
I've heard 3 different ways; sim-O-leans, as in bowl and "lee anne", simo-leans, with 2 syllables and as in "lean", or simo-le-ans, as in "lee-anne" but no accentuation on the o.

Does any of that make sense? :jest:

Lamare
23rd Jul 2014, 5:10 PM
When I think in english, I go "sim-O-leans". :)

Demecia
23rd Jul 2014, 5:42 PM
I most definitely go with "sim-o-lee-annes". Thank you for bringing up another little something I wasn't aware was controversial. Thank you VERY much. :D
-I was about to play the "I am a native American English speaker" card, but I've decided against it. Now you guys know I have it, but that I'm not going to play it. Thank you.

CarverUllrich
23rd Jul 2014, 5:50 PM
I always read it as live, alive. It's like, live TV, you know?

AJV2688
23rd Jul 2014, 7:23 PM
I've never thought of that second option before. I think of it in the same way we say something on TV is live. Sims Live. :p

AmyPond
23rd Jul 2014, 8:05 PM
You build for the sims, you buy for the sims, but you don't live (in-game) for them, hence when clicking live mode the sims will be going live, begin to move around etc.

PrincessSim
24th Jul 2014, 5:04 AM
Wow...I never thought it was pronounced any other way. I've always said it Live, long I. Like a video shoot.

ranabluu
24th Jul 2014, 4:46 PM
I always thought it was Live like alive because when you are in build/buy mode the game is paused but once you un-pause the game it's back live. When I heard him save live like give I thought there goes the English language with much left up for interpretation.

Villanelle
24th Jul 2014, 6:00 PM
Although this seems to be the less popular opinion I've always thought of it as the verb version of 'live' (rhyming with 'give'), which makes sense to me because 'build' and 'buy' are both verbs, so why would 'live' be an adverb (or possibly adjective, I suppose) rather than another verb?
Then again, I am excessively analytical by nature and it makes no real difference to the playing experience, I suppose it just depends on what the voices in all of our heads say!

EDIT: I did also just see AmyPond's argument and must say that makes sense too, so the 'verb' thing isn't really a given. :)

Rin_of_Water
24th Jul 2014, 8:34 PM
Uh...well...I could see how it would be [a]live, as if you're playing the game live...but I'm of the opinion that Live Mode is playing with Sim lives, and you are controlling their living. This is a LIFE simulator, after all.
Besides, everyone says it's [a]Live mode because then everything is unpaused, but that's not comepletely true, is it? It's not fully live, you can pause and fast forward through it. So, the Sims are living, but what we see is not exactly live.
...this is going to morph into something akin to the Zelda annunciation wars, isn't it?
We're all doomed.

rickkreuk
24th Jul 2014, 9:09 PM
Everyone saying it rhymes with "alive" is wrong. If that was the case, live mode would be translated differently in other languages. As an example: the Dutch translation. In Dutch "live mode" is translated as "leefmodus", in which "leef" is a conjugation of the verb "leven" which translates to "to live". If live would rhyme with "alive", the translation would be "livemodus", because "live TV" translates to "live TV" in Dutch. This basically proves the developers intended the "live" in "live mode" to be a verb, and thus it rhymes with "give".

Phoenixfire88
24th Jul 2014, 9:36 PM
Everyone saying it rhymes with "alive" is wrong. If that was the case, live mode would be translated differently in other languages. As an example: the Dutch translation. In Dutch "live mode" is translated as "leefmodus", in which "leef" is a conjugation of the verb "leven" which translates to "to live". If live would rhyme with "alive", the translation would be "livemodus", because "live TV" translates to "live TV" in Dutch. This basically proves the developers intended the "live" in "live mode" to be a verb, and thus it rhymes with "give".

Who cares about how some crazy moon language translates stuff? We are talking about the original English version here.

sydney511
24th Jul 2014, 10:04 PM
I always thought it was live like "alive"...because live mode is the game in action, or live (like a tv show).

BlackStarx
24th Jul 2014, 11:02 PM
I would believe its live, like alive because you always hear on news cameras " here's a live shot of the action" or whatever. because you're witnessing it happening

cynconzola
24th Jul 2014, 11:24 PM
My post on the official T4 forums was deleted, I think. I haven't seen it since the day I started this issue over there. I named it Live -vs- Live, in case anyone here had seen it. I cannot believe this has taken off to the point of causing a poll to be published. LOL! I think this is a riot! ;-)

Oh! Over there I'm windweaver

k2m1too
25th Jul 2014, 12:25 AM
Breaking news! We are coming to you live from the scene...
Or... Live Nude Sims
Or... LIVE ACTION! {{yeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyeeyee}}
Or...

Yeah.. you get the picture...

Kestie Freehawk
25th Jul 2014, 6:17 AM
*queue Symphony*
Live free and beauty surrounds you
The world still astounds you
Each time you look at a star
*warbling on * As an asteroid plummets to the ground where you are standing and you die :(

I remember this part of Sims update and development, its where you get to burn a lot of everything ;) I have to get the new one now.

undockedflower7
25th Jul 2014, 9:09 AM
I have always said live as in alive and never hesitated because the game is live as in its happening right now. :rofl: :up: :) :cool: :!: :!: :!:

Leguin
25th Jul 2014, 11:21 AM
I believe the statement, "The sims live while they are live." sums it up nicely. :)

Also, you must take into account that this is American (USA) english. We can verbally mangle anything here!

haggleman
25th Jul 2014, 1:36 PM
I live therefore I am alive...errrr is it wherefore or maybe heretofore...crap...hellifino...ahhhh...mmmm the third button, yeah that's it,door number 3. geez live sux.

galactigasm
25th Jul 2014, 6:57 PM
I figured since you can pause and fast forward the clock, it would be "Live" as in "alive," "live action," etc.

midnightviolet
25th Jul 2014, 9:32 PM
Live as in alive, but i get why people would say "live" as in give. It also makes sense.
Omg. You know how when you say or hear a word a zillion times it just starts to seem really weird??
After reading this thread "live" doesn't even look like a legitimate, correct word any longer, regardless of pronunciation xP
sims community= word destroyers. hell yes.we conquered this word.

archo2132
25th Jul 2014, 10:44 PM
For me I think of it this way:
Buy-ing their stuff.
Build-ing their home.
Live-ing Their life.

FangzV
26th Jul 2014, 5:18 AM
Ever since I was a kid, myself and those around me all call it live as in "Living". I never thought of it as "alive". Since you can have ghosts and undead Sims, it makes even less sense to call it that (even though "alive" in this case is more synonymous with "animated")

ZenGarden
26th Jul 2014, 2:32 PM
Live, like alive

TheIrishJJ
26th Jul 2014, 3:45 PM
I thought it as 'live', as in, "We're going live in 5 seconds!". But, maybe i'm wrong, maybe Graham is wrong.

Euan
26th Jul 2014, 10:40 PM
'Live' as in 'Clive' since you're live in game.

TheWishingStar
26th Jul 2014, 10:59 PM
I've always said it like alive, because it sounds less stupid. But every once in a while I catch myself wondering why? Good to know this is a debatable topic. Not gonna change how I say it, though.

Periandre
27th Jul 2014, 1:55 PM
Live from New York... It's Saturday Night Live

As in, everything else is just set-up/practice... now you're live!
I can see where people might go with live (give) mode, but it's always been live (alive) mode to me.

HemeraNyx
27th Jul 2014, 5:10 PM
i say both, kinda like the word herb or erb, same thing liv or live. Woah! woah! middle ground! :)

ninedoors
27th Jul 2014, 6:27 PM
I accidentally clicked the wrong radio button and now I feel dirty.

(Meant to click 'live, like alive')

Synnifex
27th Jul 2014, 7:23 PM
At this point I'm so freaked out, neither sounds right to me. From now on I'm just calling it "F1".

FordGT90Concept
27th Jul 2014, 9:22 PM
When a studio begins shooting action they call it going live (like alive). In practice, I always considered The Sims live mode to be the same way. I never considered calling it live (like give) mode because they're not living, they're simulations. About the only context in computing I can think of where live (like give) is used is TTL (Time To Live) in network packets. This is because they have a mortality deadline. The Sims live (like give) because they have mortality but the simulation itself is either pause or live (like alive).

imagine
28th Jul 2014, 2:20 AM
I thought of this a while ago actually but me and my friend have always pronounced it "live" as in "alive"
I like to think of it as like "Live TV" as someone said earlier, like you're watching the Sims doing something "Live" ???
I don't know if that's just me.

I've always thought of it that way, I'm not sure but live as in "give" is kind of weird to me. :cry:

torilove622
28th Jul 2014, 3:48 PM
[A] Live Mode.

I think I might actually be hurt if the creators ever confirm that it's live (give) instead of [a]live mode. It will be like "Wow, I guess I don't know the game as much as I thought." *shoulders go slack, turns, and walks away down the dark rainy street*

filipmur
28th Jul 2014, 5:18 PM
I, personally, use live-give, but that's an relic from the time I didn't speak English too well.
But, at the end of the day, everything is better than the Czech translation :)

Laney68
29th Jul 2014, 2:17 AM
The Collins dictionary has two pronunciations for the word " live " and the way to pronounce it when using " live " in those terms,( transmitting during an actual performance) ( in front of a audience), is as in lively, liveliness, liven up.... make's me so mad grrrrrr !!!! I'm a stickler for things like that, it drives me crazy. :)

TheWatermelonBird
29th Jul 2014, 8:17 AM
Wow, I never really thought about it.
Well, I would choose [laɪv]. Modes would mean "the mode of byuing" and "the mode of building" in Russian translation, so "the mode of living" would be a [laɪv] mode. I'm not a good English speaker, though, so I can't be sure about that :)

Enki
29th Jul 2014, 1:53 PM
There is no right or wrong in a language. It´s not gravity or some other law of physics, but something we make up and modify as we go.
However, being a human being (and as thus extremely prone to picking a side) I of course voted for the version I want to be passed on to future generations and that would be live as in alive. Reasoning: I´m no longer in build or buy mode where I arrange the environment, but "go live" now.

Tamha
30th Jul 2014, 8:22 AM
While the fact that I'm in the minority on this (though agreeing with the gurus) doesn't bother me all that much, it also never occurred to me that live (rhymes with five) mode was even a thing. Apparently it's a super-popular thing. However, I will continue to play in in Live (rhymes with give) Mode. I don't consider my sims to be live-action, as I can pause or fast-forward them whenever I like, but they do their living in that mode.

Meia_Power
30th Jul 2014, 8:01 PM
Those traitors at EA pronounce it live, which rhymes with give.

The "live" comes from the verb (I live, you live, he lives...). That is why it rhymes with give.

It is the mode where you start to "live" (or your sims, whatever)

hypersugarroxy
30th Jul 2014, 9:37 PM
wait are there people who really pronounce it like "give"
on the other hand, i'm starting to realize what a fooped-up language english really is.

autumnashdene
31st Jul 2014, 3:49 AM
I'd actually never though about it before, but definitely live as in alive. Kinda like when a broadcast goes 'live', that's what I've always associated it with.

Max101365
31st Jul 2014, 7:36 PM
I've always said it like alive, but now that I think about it, I think it is supposed to be like give lol.

Simsfan421
31st Jul 2014, 11:44 PM
I always thought it was live as in rhymes with give. I don't know I guess thats just what I always thought, but I don't mind if its actually referred to as live as in alive.

MsRed
1st Aug 2014, 3:47 AM
Even though I've always thought of it as 'live' (as in 'alive'), it does make more sense that it's 'live' (as in 'give').

You build, you buy, then you live.

I guess I'll just call it 'simulation mode' from now on... ;-)

Kankritty
2nd Aug 2014, 5:33 PM
Live as in alive

I also say it as Live because you can Pause the game so it makes sense that way.

bnymph
3rd Aug 2014, 2:07 PM
it's live, rhyming with alive, definitely.

ladymyste
3rd Aug 2014, 5:52 PM
Live is a homonym, but used in the sims I believe it is live as in alive, because you go from build mode to live mode

Vanidor
3rd Aug 2014, 6:52 PM
Of course. We must storm the EA hedge maze with our damning results! Assuming those results are actually damning...

Ok, but....What if it's only seriously DARNing evidence? :blink: :| :llama: :bunny: :bunny: :P

(Also, -WHY- are there two sticking tongue out emoticons...and more importantly WHY are they RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ? :) :wtf:

PerfectTragedy
3rd Aug 2014, 11:00 PM
I've always thought it was "Live rhymes with give". Not really sure why but, Live (as in alive) just doesn't sound right to me. It is a possibility though, just never thought it was like that.

Eintity
4th Aug 2014, 1:21 AM
Live as in alive, as live (with the long "i") is an adjective. However, the live with the short "i" is a verb, and therefore would have to be made "living" to apply to "mode".

alexgbplayer
4th Aug 2014, 10:24 AM
I always thought that it was live, that rhymes with give.
Anyway I´m not an english native speaker so i could be wrong ^^

Simdrew1993
4th Aug 2014, 5:20 PM
Depends which way you phrase it, there are two different words that are spelled the same for Live.

To Live (Pronounced like Give) for instance, to live and then to die would rhyme with give. Live-Give. I want to Live! LET ME LIVE! They lived for a time then the time came, they then died.....

Live (pronounced like Alive) as in your Live in front of a studio Audience that would rhyme with Alive. You're watching Live TV. I'm playing Sims Live Mode right now!

So yes Live can rhyme with Give if your talking about the right one because there are 2, if that's what this is about.

One more thing yes I know that this is off topic but I'm hoping the Mods will see this because I don't know any place to request this. Now the only thing we simmers need is an option so when people download something of ours on here it would pop up a notification blip that will ask them if they want to proceed with their download and advise them that some meshes are required for this download to function properly displaying all of the mesh required links waiting until they download each then once finished they can click proceed with download. Skyrim Nexus does this before downloads that require an additional download to work so users know they are getting everything, I had no idea where to request this feature or even if I could on here but I think this would be a step up in the community though I have no idea how difficult this would be to code. I have about close to 4000 people that downloaded one of my Sims and they are not noticing the mesh's required tab when they download...

Just an idea to consider :)

Chiaka
5th Aug 2014, 12:19 AM
To be fair, I think of it in terms of writing. I mean, I have lost count of how many simmers refer to their sims as "my baby/babies" whatever. Babies live: they eat, sleep, drink, use the toilet (i.e. diapers) et cetera. While I can understand the context of live (alive) sims, that works for those who create movies or who view the game in technical terms/capabilities (pause, play, fast forward, rewind). For those who write, or do photo collages I think a fair few view it is live (give) mode. The sims pose (albeit with help or really good timing), and do things as if they are living (going potty, cooking, cleaning, and giving birth for example). I honestly say both live (give) and live (alive) depending on which thing I am doing. Writing = live (give). Playing the game = interchangeably. Movie = live (alive). :bunny: ;)

Klaartje
5th Aug 2014, 7:54 AM
How have I been simming for so long without asking myself this question :| It's like we've finally stepped outside of the Matrix. Also, I'm now second-guessing everyword that ends in 'ive'. Thanks Graham.

Mylinda Antoinette
5th Aug 2014, 3:30 PM
Well... I'm from the South (via Seattle) so I pronounciate all sorts of words wrong: like "O"-range, Kaw-fee, and Weee-Feee...
But, Live Mode for my simmies is always pronounced "live" :blink:

Ya'll are just too funny :giggler:

Actually me too... originated in Federal Way, WA, moved to Texas when I was 8. :P

And I have always said it like "alive" because that is how I have always heard it.

Also, idea for the SimGurus, why don't we just compromise and call it Life mode? Then there's no debate on pronunciation! ;)

Noa1500
5th Aug 2014, 7:12 PM
Ooh this brings back memories!I used to wonder about this all the time! Both are right, but it depends on how you're using the word :heyhey:
I was never sure which word was which- you know, how breaking news is "live", and I live in a house with my parents and brother.

But it's ok, it's alright, I figured it out. I hope :D
1) Live rhymes with give because it is an action
2) Live rhymes with alive because its a ....state...of being(?) I dunno how exactly to phrase it.

Since we're only given three options, and I believe that both option 1 and 2 are both correct, I have no choice but to chose option 3. Also I like clicking buttons.

Simdrew1993
6th Aug 2014, 1:22 AM
Oh so that's what this is about, it's not about the 2 different words of Live as in Live and give or Live like alive, it's about Live mode in Sims games.... I didn't notice it saying this before but glad I do now.

Hmm, I always assumed it was pronounced Live like Alive...

rickkreuk
6th Aug 2014, 3:22 PM
Who cares about how some crazy moon language translates stuff? We are talking about the original English version here.
Text is translated based on the meaning of words, not the actual words.There are several words in English which can mean multiple things. "Live" is an example of this. If this leads to translation difficulties the translators will ask the developers what they intended. In this case, the developers intended "live mode" to mean "mode in which sims live", so it was translated accordingly. Also, comparing Dutch to some "crazy moon language" is quite insulting. It doesn't really matter anyway: all other languages translate it in the same way, for instance "mode vie" in French.

LoganWorm
6th Aug 2014, 8:30 PM
Okay, this is surprising to me and for some reason I am really not happy that everyone thinks it's Live like alive.

I would think people would catch on to the whole, "Play with Life", or the fact that it is a Life Simulator, therefore it is LIVE (as I am living and you are living) mode. I've never heard of the other pronunciation in all of my times of playing (from various forums to Let's Plays to people at home playing with me). I'm just so surprised that there's such a variation in the pronunciation.

But I wonder if the different nationalities actually have something to do with it (i.e. most British people may pronounce it as Live (alive) and most American people may pronounce it as Live (give) or vice versa).

Edit: I suppose I wouldn't get the pronunciation in a forum since they are spelled the exact same. :rofl:

Payoli_23
7th Aug 2014, 2:21 AM
-I pronounce it "live" as in alive (I don't know why, I just do it)
-But I can't say that if you pronounce it "live" like give you're wrong, because they're living, and if you're in "live" mode (like alive) it's kinda silly because it's always live. (I don't think you can understand xD)

RedMallie
7th Aug 2014, 6:35 AM
I think the pronunciation varies depending if the word is being used as a verb (live as in give) or as an adjective (live as in ride).
I understand that "live mode" is a phrase where /live/ is an adjective, and /mode/ is the noun, so I would pronounce it as an adjective (as in ride).

That being said, when words turn into proper nouns, or even brand names, they can be changed into whatever market experts want them to be, hehee.

Karyssia
7th Aug 2014, 5:58 PM
I always said it live, like alive.

Nottakenaway
7th Aug 2014, 8:51 PM
I've always thought of it as going Live (like alive), but I won't kill anybody for thinking it as a verb like give. Still, I can't do it myself, I tried saying Live Mode aloud and I only thought of a plate of steaming liver. o_o ...Yeahhh, sticking with being Alive.

Bluebelle
7th Aug 2014, 11:08 PM
I live and die the wire is live

stuart-grey
9th Aug 2014, 1:47 AM
Clue!! Clue please...

Live mode in the sims? What's live mode? Is there a dead mode? A mortally wounded mode?

No, really... I've been playing the sims non-stop... Taking Sept 2 off from work so I can play Sims 4 until I fall over from lack of food. What's live mode? :blink:

midnightsimmer14
9th Aug 2014, 4:45 AM
Live as in Give

sims2sico
9th Aug 2014, 12:21 PM
Live as in alive. I RESERCHED IT FOOLS! :)

sims2sico
9th Aug 2014, 12:24 PM
buy mode is where you buy things,build mode is where you build your house or make renovations,live mode is where you play with your sims. :deal: read this and you should be just a little sim smart!

cmtrent
9th Aug 2014, 5:08 PM
So Is this debate like the gif vs jif thing? I really don't understand why they would even ask what pronunciation is better... Its obviously live as in alive :wtf:

Evenios
9th Aug 2014, 5:35 PM
i alwasy thought it was live as in live from new york! because in the other modes the game is usually paused but then again......technically you can pause the game in live mode too so...

i guess the correct saying would be LIVE as in life. right?

squaretable
11th Aug 2014, 1:08 AM
I call it play mode, but until I started hearing the youtubers in the hands of EA and EA themselves a year or two back I pronounced it LAIV (with a long I, as did my mum), now I will often say Liv in a sentence, but pretend I still say LAIV. Its similar to the Garage debate, Garij or Garaaj?

So yeah, its Play(alt. LAIV), Build, Buy, Photo, Options.

Adrenaline Helicopter
11th Aug 2014, 4:48 PM
I like buttons . . . :jest:
Seriously, though, I always thought it was pronounced in the way in which it rhymes with give, that's how I've always pronounced it.
But now I'm curious . . .

falconlover12
12th Aug 2014, 1:09 AM
Does anyone have any tip on getting the best KD ratio on COD

jasperville
13th Aug 2014, 2:12 AM
The people who say Live Mode like "Give" are probably the same people who pronounce Gif like "gift" and they put the tp back on the roll with the loose end facing the wall.

jasperville
13th Aug 2014, 2:19 AM
So Is this debate like the gif vs jif thing? I really don't understand why they would even ask what pronunciation is better... Its obviously live as in alive :wtf:

Here it is, the end of this argument:
The creators of the format pronounced GIF as "Jif" with a soft "G" /ˈdʒɪf/ as in "gin". Steve Wilhite says that the intended pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Interchange_Format

IzziTheBow
13th Aug 2014, 4:47 AM
I've always said it in my head as "Live, like alive", but at the same time I recognise that it makes more sense as the verb because then it would match the other two (build, buy, live).

Saying that, my way also makes sense because in build/buy mode the game is paused and in live mode the game is, well, live. :lol:

I guess it's always going to be one of those debated things. Tomayto, tomahto. :rofl:

mhahse57
14th Aug 2014, 3:59 AM
Going "live" in-game is like getting "live streaming" or a news report that comes "Live from the White House". Live with a long "I" sound, ex: sounds like eye. Think the quote "I am" from the Christian New Testament. It is shown with the little line on top of the letter "i" in a standard American English dictionary. I think the more proper Oxford English dictionary also uses that symbol.

I do have a god complex concerning my simmies. However, my sims can make my own play rather challenging when I go Live and they are losing motive points like dripping water after rain... Thank EA/Origin for the magical "maxmotives" cheat.

tehhotchick
14th Aug 2014, 8:06 AM
Live as in Give, always. Buy in buy mode. Build in build mode. Liv(e) in liv(e) mode! The long i doesn't sound right to me anyway

tehhotchick
14th Aug 2014, 8:08 AM
not so obvious :) especially as I think this started because the people at EA pronounce it as in give.

ekrubynaffit
18th Aug 2014, 9:53 AM
For me its live mode as in alive. Live mode as in give sounds like incorrect English!

simension
22nd Aug 2014, 8:30 AM
I didn't even know native speaker have differences about the pronunciation. The ingame translation to German transfers the live mode to Live-Modus using live such as in Live-Konzert (live concert, we stole the live-word from English a long time ago for this) and not such as in to live. This should have been Leben-Modus then. The translator thought of it as live as in alive and so do I because there is no other interpretation option in German.

IshigreenSA
23rd Aug 2014, 2:09 PM
I figure live is pronounced as in alive because it is the mode.

Buy mode
Build mode
and
Live mode

Of game operation.

Kasje_Haan
24th Aug 2014, 4:56 PM
I've never given it much thought, actually. I just like to play the game. I would have to agree with Menaceman44, in reference to grammatical consistency, "Live" as "to live" seems more correct. However, it could be seen as "going live", rhyming with "five".

cyberbugs
25th Aug 2014, 9:13 PM
I would think Live as in They Live

xmathyx
25th Aug 2014, 9:54 PM
I didn't even know native speaker have differences about the pronunciation. The ingame translation to German transfers the live mode to Live-Modus using live such as in Live-Konzert (live concert, we stole the live-word from English a long time ago for this) and not such as in to live. This should have been Leben-Modus then. The translator thought of it as live as in alive and so do I because there is no other interpretation option in German.

It's funny because it is the opposite in french, we say "Mode Vie" , for translation the "live" means "living", so I prononce like "living", "give". If it was live like "alive" this should be "Mode Direct" or "Mode en direct" or something like that and it does not seems appropriate.

MICAELAPAM
27th Aug 2014, 5:02 AM

I agree. In Spanish it's "vivir", and that is the equivalent to the second option... :king:

Trig
3rd Sep 2014, 9:05 AM
Live (long i) as all other actions such as build, buy modes, fast forward/s and pause, all take you out of the live broadcast. We are the network producers, we control the cameras and, potentially, what they do and say. We write the main story and the extras are free to improvise.
That's just how I see it.
Based soley on the placement of the buttons Live (short i) is perfectly viable.

Come to think of it, when I look at the word the first thing that pops into my head is Live (long i) so maybe it is word association with the native english speakers.

Meh *shrugs* clicky clicky buttons, dems work den, me likey :up:

edited due to rethinking of something taken for granted...lol, thanks MTS :lol:

Trig
3rd Sep 2014, 10:06 AM

Nope, that's just your Aunt's area (maybe), most of us pronounce it like hi-fi. No ad has ever said, "..and comes with free wee-fee"

...anyhow, here, have a beer :Pint:

KillThemAll
5th Sep 2014, 12:15 PM
It's live, rhymes with jive, meaning that it takes place in real time.

Live, rhymes with shiv, meaning the act of not being dead, would be highly inappropriate, considering that the whole point of The Sims is to trap Sims in your basement and leave them to slowly starve to death.

Sterling_Archer
5th Sep 2014, 3:03 PM
Live, as in alive.
I guess it's just how you want to pronounce it

Jayellepri
7th Sep 2014, 6:59 PM
This is all very entertaining. I picked Option 3 as I do like to click buttons.

Harper Bailey
9th Sep 2014, 9:48 AM
Never gave it a thought: suppose it would be live as in alive.like a news feed.

Simmiller
11th Sep 2014, 8:52 PM
I say Live like Alive, because the game goes Live, as in active.

YetiShaman
27th Sep 2014, 2:44 AM
Voting for grammatical symmetry

melbrewer367
27th Sep 2014, 8:49 AM
I said Live like alive but the there more I think about it, I can't even remember now. Now it's just live as in alive because that seemed like the right answer. I'm going to have to forget this whole incident and somehow offhandedly catch myself in order to know the truth now. lol

XiaXiang001
27th Sep 2014, 9:08 AM
Just before I hit the Live Mode button, I think, "Live in Five. . . Four. . .", etc. Then I start the Live Broadcast of My Sims Lives.

Mukus
7th Oct 2014, 5:19 PM
Umm, play it. You play it, you'll know what live mode is. Like what kind of functions do you get?
I'll go load it up soon, play it for a bit, then vote.

nathanjenner
9th Oct 2014, 3:58 AM
im pretty sure its live mode as in "you are the god and you give your sims a chance to live"

ilovegnomeland
14th Oct 2014, 12:44 AM
I've never given it much thought, actually. I just like to play the game. I would have to agree with Menaceman44, in reference to grammatical consistency, "Live" as "to live" seems more correct. However, it could be seen as "going live", rhyming with "five".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it is grammatically more consistent. At first glance it is, but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem right to me. Another poster made a good point that "buy" and "build" are NOT verbs here, and I agree. A verb is an action, an adjective is a descriptor. "Buy" and "build" in this context are adjectives, even though they are traditionally verbs. They are describing the "mode" in this instance. "Live" (rhyming with "give") is never used as an adjective. I can't think of a way to use it as one. It's always a verb. I think that's why "Live" ("give") mode sounds so weird to those of us who say "Live" (as in "alive"). It sounds wrong because it's not consistent with the other two. "Live" ("alive") is an adjective, like "buy" and "build", when put in front of "mode". So, in my opinion, the grammatically correct way to say it, would be "Live Mode" (rhyming with "alive"). I understand why people feel differently, that's just my justification for my own pronunciation. Either way, it doesn't really matter. "Po-tay-toe"/"Po-tah-toe", as others have said. :)