PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the New and Improved Upload Moderation System!

Nysha
6th Mar 2013, 12:45 PM
At last, I hear you cry! Those of you who have been paying attention will know that we turned uploads off some weeks ago, to spring clean the queue (although special props go to the tiny genius who posted a simsecret mocking us for being so unpopular that nobody uploaded anything for a whole month).

In addition to spring cleaning the queue, the wonderful Delphy has coded us a totally new moderation system, which we hope will make uploading quicker, easier, and a much happier experience for creators and staff. We think this new system is going to make uploading here a pleasure, so please, do read on for the details. :)

The Old System
For those of you who have never uploaded here, haven't done so in many years, or who just have horrendous memories, a rough outline of the old system:
You beetle away, make your shiny object/lot/world/sim/outfit/whatever, and upload it via the Upload Wizard.
You wait - ideally 24 hours, officially 72-96 hours, sometimes even longer - for us to assess your upload and decide what to do with it.
Then, you get EITHER a PM saying that your upload has been approved, yay! Return true and Standard Exit.
OR, you get a PM saying that your upload is good and can be approved shortly, but there are some things that need to be fixed up. This PM is accompanied by a big list of all the stuff you did wrong.
OR, you get a PM saying that your upload needs a significant amount of changes before it can be approved here, and you should work on it long-term and then upload again in future. This PM is also accompanied by a big list of all the stuff you did wrong.

I know there will be a few people currently yelling criticisms at their monitors. Yes, I agree with you! ;) Let me go through and explain, first, how the new system works, and second, why it improves on many of the problems with the old system.

The New System
The basic structure of the new system is the same as the old system. You upload via the Upload Wizard, you wait a hopefully shorter amount of time, and then you get a PM. The PM will still be either an approval message, a request for changes, or a "with regret" message. But the content of that message will be totally different.

The new system abandons the idea of the big list of all the things you got wrong. Instead, we've broken down our assessment criteria into rubrics (you can thank HP for coming up with that recondite term). Each rubric is a specific element that we look for, either related to your actual content, or to the technical requirements of uploading. Some examples of rubrics:
Sims: Resemblance to real person
Worlds: Terrain sculpting
Lots: Roofing
Objects and CAS content: Texture sharpness
Technical: Catalogue location mentioned
Technical: Right Files
These probably sound familiar - they are all based on our existing Creator Guidelines. For each applicable rubric, your upload will get a rating of 1-5 stars. If anything is 1 or 2 stars, you'll need to fix that before your upload can be approved. If everything is 3 stars or higher, then barring some specific reason to do otherwise, your upload will be approved. Each rating comes with a short description - to tell you what exactly "4 stars for use of polys" means - and also with the descriptions of the higher star ratings for that rubric (if there are any), so you can see what we hope you'll aim for next time.

An example of one part of the ratings list for a clothing upload:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/1/3/8/4/9/6/MTS_whiterider-1347657-ScreenShot963.jpg
You'll notice that right now, the overall score for the section is two stars. Whenever there are any elements which have a 1 or 2 star, the overall rating for that section will be capped at 1 or 2. If everything is at least 3 stars, then the section rating will be an average of all the elements within that section. :)

So, what are the advantages of this new system?

Positive feedback
This is, in my opinion, the most significant improvement. Our old system came to be through a process of evolution. Originally, there was no upload moderation on MTS - the downloads section was just a normal forum. Then we decided, back in the mists of yore, that some things shouldn't be allowed to be posted - stolen content, for example, or uploads with no file or images. So we created a system whereby we could reject uploads for something like that - something simple, stupid, and obvious - with a short message telling people why we were doing so. Over time, we expanded this system to encompass not only stupid omissions or flagrant rule violations, but also poor quality uploads: and we added the changes required system, for those cases when it wasn't necessary to delete the thread altogether because the problem could be corrected. Despite this total change in the purpose of upload moderation, we were still using a system which was designed for "This is stupid. Try again."

The end result of this process was that whenever something wasn't approved, the creator would get a long PM full of negative feedback, usually with a sentence or two added by the moderator on what the creator had got right. That's pretty unbalanced, and is especially unpleasant for newbie creators, who are only getting discouragement when what we want to do with new creators is encourage them.
The new system eliminates that problem. You will be told what you've done wrong, yes, by the low-rated rubrics you receive (if any). But far more importantly, you will also get a big long list of all the things you did right.

Connected to this is the fact that the ratings will be sent with approval PMs, too. This means, firstly, that when you're already making good stuff, you'll still be getting the feedback you need to get even better. It also means that mods will be happier with approving uploads even when there are some elements which aren't great, because we'll know that you're getting that feedback too, without the need for a changes required.

Clearer requirements
We've done a lot of work over the past couple of years on making the creator guidelines clearer and more specific, and I'm proud of what we've achieved there - they're clean and understandable. But having ratings for specific requirements will make it easier for you guys as creators to precisely match up the feedback we give you with the requirements for approval, by comparing your ratings with the 4 and 5 star ratings for the particular elements you're not yet getting right.

I should add a caveat emptor here. We are going to be making the rubrics public. However, you won't see all the rubrics on your uploads - if a certain rubric doesn't apply, such as "Screenshots of all items in the set" for an upload of a single item, then it will be marked as N/A and will not show up in your PM or on your upload. There's no point wasting space. :)

More consistency
One criticism that's often levelled is that moderation isn't consistent enough. Obviously, it's difficult to ascertain whether or not that's true in terms of quality, because we can't afford to pay a statistician. However, one thing that we know definitely happens is moderators sometimes forgetting things - I suspect quite a few of you have occasionally received a changes PM which starts with "I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention this in the last message...". I know I've sent a few such PMs myself!

The rubrics will help us with avoiding both problems. For us, the rubrics act like a checklist, reminding us to check everything in turn, so we shouldn't be able to forget anything any more (I'm sure we'll find a way, but hopefully it'll be a very rare occurrence). On top of that, having a list of ratings makes it easier for us to get a good overview of the overall quality of the upload, without getting blinded by one awesome factor in an otherwise lacking upload, or getting hung up on one problem in an otherwise good upload. Once we've finished getting carried away, we'll look at the stars and see what the overall picture is across the board, which will help us make more objective and even-handed decisions. It'll never be possible to eliminate subjectivity from moderating completely, but we hope that the rubrics will be a big step along the way to better consistency nonetheless.

Faster moderation
Under the old system, moderating uploads involved quite a bit of mental juggling. All mods have a sort of mental checklist that we go through for each upload in our respective areas of expertise, and we make mental notes and then decide based on those mental notes. First person to think "That's mental!" gets beaten to a pulp with a rubber chicken. The problem with this is that things end up having to be redone. We forget our mental notes; we struggle to balance the pros and cons of an upload without losing random (important) thoughts; we forget to write down our notes when we have to stop mid-moderate; and it's difficult for a different mod to take over an upload because they don't have access to the first mod's mental notes (except for that thing with dal and the electrode but anyway moving on). For the same reasons we hope will improve consistency, the checklist function of rubrics will allow us to run through upload moderation more efficiently, will allow us to "save our progress" to make it easier for us (or someone else) to come back to the upload later, and will reduce the circumstances in which we have to spend a long time umming and erring about what to do with an upload. All in all, we're hoping that this will reduce waiting times in the queue, which is always one of our top goals.

And the drawbacks?
As some of you have probably surmised, there's going to be a lot of information. We've tried not to overcomplicate the rubrics, and to keep the descriptions short and sweet, but there are still a lot of them. The list of ratings is going to be long.
We know this isn't ideal, but we think that lots of feedback, including positive feedback, is better than a little, solely negative, feedback. We have filtering options, so that you can collapse your high ratings and only read the low ones, if that's how you like to work.

Uploads have now been off since January. This means that we have almost two months worth of uploads which are, I presume, all going to be uploaded at once now that we've turned uploads back on. So, you know that thing about faster moderation? That's going to be a long-term benefit. ;)
In seriousness, there will probably be significant delays while we get the new system up and running, and reel under the combined impact of all the beautiful stuff that I know you guys have been saving up, and filling with half-bricks, just for our benefit. So if you're the kind of person who suffers coniptions when waiting for an upload to be moderated, you might want to give us a couple of weeks to get up to full speed!

Creator Guidelines Changes
Along with the queue moderation revitalization, some of the creator guidelines have been revised and brought up to date. The main changes are listed below but it's always a good idea to have a look over the guidelines every once in a while anyway to refresh your memory and look for any minor changes :)

TS2 Full Neighborhoods (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Full_Neighborhoods): The main thing to note here is that the required images for lots have been brought in line with the requirements for TS3 neighborhoods. That is; you only need to show images of 10 lots from your hood rather than all of them.

TS2 Meshes guidelines have now been split into two separate sets of guidelines: Bodyshop Meshes (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Bodyshop_Meshes) and Object Meshes (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Meshes).

Poses and Animations (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Sims_3_Poses): The main change here is that TS3 poses must now be pose list compatible with thumbnails included. This had always been an optional “upgrade” that creators can choose to add to their work but since pose lists are so widely used these days and are much more user friendly than typing each name individually, it seems like a logical step to make them a regular requirement for uploads. That's enabled us to relax the rule that previously asked for the full pose name to be written out in the main text; now the name only has to be on the image with a reference to how many and what type of poses are included in the main text.

We have also added a banner to all pose uploads linking to the Pose (or Animation) Player, so it's no longer necessary for uploaders to mention the player in their Main Text.

TS3 Careers (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Sims_3_Careers): The requirements for custom icons have now been clarified and the need to include the joint text has been added to the list of required information.

The Pay Content Rules (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Regarding_Pictured_or_Required_Pay_Content) have been updated to reflect a change in TSR's policy. TSR have made all their TS2 content free, restricting pay status to just their TS3 content. As a result, TS2 content from TSR FAs can now be used in uploads to MTS. TS3 content made by TSR FAs is still considered pay and therefore not allowed.

Et finalement...
We hope the new system will make things much easier for everyone. We really are excited about this new system: it's going to make things far better for creators, without diminishing the great quality of uploads that downloaders come here for. We know that the old system has scared quite a few creators off: so I'd like to ask those of you to whom this applies to give us another chance - try out the new system, and see if you like it as much as we do. :)

If you have any feedback, bug reports, suggestions etc. about the new system, please click here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4086257) for the feedback thread, and let us know what you think.

Although she retired before we got very far with implementing it, this new system is the brainchild of the lovely HystericalParoxysm. It's an awesome brainchild, even awesomer than her loinchildren (life on the edge!), so a huge thankyou to HP for coming up with this wonderful project for us. :lovestruc

Now, go forth and (bake) multiply(iers in Blender)!

cmomoney
6th Mar 2013, 1:04 PM
+10 for Blender reference. :)

joandsarah77
6th Mar 2013, 1:12 PM
Wooo! What a shame it's gone 11 pm over here and I'm heading for bed otherwise I would have hit that uploader. :D Bet there will be a hundred in line by the time I get back.

efolger997
6th Mar 2013, 1:38 PM
Awesomeness! This sounds really great. :)

PhenomIIFX
6th Mar 2013, 1:45 PM
Oh hell yeah!

TotallySimsCrazy
6th Mar 2013, 2:24 PM
Yay, I look forward to going on sims 2 and starting some stuff!

missyhissy
6th Mar 2013, 3:42 PM
Well worth the wait! Great job guys, look forward to testing this out next week!

spagtscully
6th Mar 2013, 3:50 PM
This sounds like a really nice system. It's one of those changes that will actually work better then make things more complicated, like some other sites do! :)

On an amusing note, I actually had no idea what a simsecret was, but when I saw that reference I looked it up. Talk about a lot of people that need to find better things to do with their time! :p

CmarNYC
6th Mar 2013, 4:25 PM
I'm truly impressed with the thought and work you guys have all obviously put into this. Thank you, Delphy, for the coding; thank you, Whiterider, for the excellent writeup; thank you, HP, for the brainstorm; and thank you to all the mods who devote your time and energy to keep the quality of uploads high.

Legislacerator
6th Mar 2013, 4:44 PM
Excellent! I've been sitting on a few things to upload, let's see if they make the cut...
(and perhaps i missed it in the new guidelines, but are morphs still not required for new clothing meshes? huh.)

AdonisPluto
6th Mar 2013, 4:45 PM
This is super awesome

Night Racer
6th Mar 2013, 5:00 PM
Oohh, shiny fancy new rating system! Cant wait to share my new mesh. Thanks guys

chasmchronicle
6th Mar 2013, 5:51 PM
This is freaking awesome! :)

My condolence goes out to all mods who moderate the moderation queue and the flood of uploads that will swallow them whole. Farewell, my friends! :bunny:

Sims99Fanatic
6th Mar 2013, 6:00 PM
Thank You so Much! for bringing uploads back! Yippie! How does the new system effect game mods (specifically Sims 2 game mods is what I'm interested in) looks like you just went over the bodyshop/stuff in creator guidelines, yet game mod guidelines can be a bit trickier.

Ferguson Avenue
6th Mar 2013, 6:06 PM
Thank you to those who improved the upload system, hopefully it will work as intended and help keep this site running briliantly. :)

Yogi-Tea
6th Mar 2013, 6:28 PM
This is great news and SO exciting! :bunny:

I'm looking forward to my first upload with the new system and on getting so much valuable feedback. One never can get enough feedback, right? There are indeed a few creations already waiting to be uploaded, however, I don't mind to wait a few weeks longer so that the new system won't be slowed down just because all MTS members upload their creations at the same time.

I would like to thank all of you who worked so hard on the new upload system. <3 <3 <3

porkypine
6th Mar 2013, 7:16 PM
Wow! You guys have done a major and really needed overhaul. We appreciate your efforts. :) My set isn't ready yet so I hope the upload glut will keep you guys busy long enough for me to finish it. :)

King_Deadly
6th Mar 2013, 7:16 PM
Yay!!!! Now soon i can upload some stuff, since i learned to do it while the uploads where off :D

a_az13_a
6th Mar 2013, 7:46 PM
This sounds wonderful! I actually feel like getting back into creating/uploading things to MTS now, it was just so disheartening before, knowing that I was likely to get that rejection message with the massive list of 'things you did wrong'.

Namiex3
6th Mar 2013, 8:37 PM
Oh lord, I have a bunch of sims I've nearly finished. I hope they're good enough. I'm looking forward to the rubrics! Sounds interesting. :)

Lady_Chaos
6th Mar 2013, 9:58 PM
The old system was partially why I was slightly... unenthusiastic when people told me that I "should totally put my Chell sim up for download!" It wasn't the criticism itself I was worried about, it was the amount of time I would spend waiting. I end up getting really freaked out and anxious, and beating myself up for not being "good enough." Blame my self esteem issues.

Now I actually have to learn how, and I get to dump crap EVERYWHERE! 8D

Tashiketh
6th Mar 2013, 9:58 PM
Thank You so Much! for bringing uploads back! Yippie! How does the new system effect game mods (specifically Sims 2 game mods is what I'm interested in) looks like you just went over the bodyshop/stuff in creator guidelines, yet game mod guidelines can be a bit trickier.

We only mentioned the changed creator guidelines - rest assured the rest are still perfectly applicable and all the old rules are still there. Everything thats a guideline is also a rubric, so you'll see some specific game mods ones when we get to moderating your upload.

daluved1
6th Mar 2013, 10:03 PM
My electronic torture....err...mind reading device was a secret!

Sterling_Archer
6th Mar 2013, 10:11 PM
Can't wait to upload some of my mods

Artimis
6th Mar 2013, 10:33 PM
Does this apply to sims stories to?

Tashiketh
6th Mar 2013, 11:04 PM
Artimis: No, Sims Stories dont use the same moderation queue - they use the old style one. This applies to downloads only

Artimis
6th Mar 2013, 11:27 PM
Artimis: No, Sims Stories dont use the same moderation queue - they use the old style one. This applies to downloads only

Thank you Delphy :)

monca533
7th Mar 2013, 12:08 AM
I'm truly impressed with the thought and work you guys have all obviously put into this. Thank you, Delphy, for the coding; thank you, Whiterider, for the excellent writeup; thank you, HP, for the brainstorm; and thank you to all the mods who devote your time and energy to keep the quality of uploads high.

I totaly agree with you CmarNYC!

Thank you all for the reception and encouragement! :lovestruc

TudorMan23
7th Mar 2013, 1:07 AM
Awesomeness! I have been waiting patiently for this! Now Ihopefully my first upload will be accepted!

Simlicious
7th Mar 2013, 1:18 AM
Wow, the waiting time really has paid off! Great job, thank you all for your hard work!
I just submitted my third creation. I am really excited :)

joandsarah77
7th Mar 2013, 1:39 AM
I just submitted my lot. :)

billielith
7th Mar 2013, 6:12 AM
I have a question,
do you plan to stop accepting uploads for Sims 2 at some point? Is there a definite date where Mod The Sims will move on entirely to Sims 3?

Amylet
7th Mar 2013, 7:05 AM
Wow, this sounds truly great, thank you for all this hard work ! :)
It was worth the waiting !

Tashiketh
7th Mar 2013, 9:51 AM
I have a question,
do you plan to stop accepting uploads for Sims 2 at some point? Is there a definite date where Mod The Sims will move on entirely to Sims 3?

I have absolutely no plans to do that - if people keep making custom content, we'll keep accepting it :)

Inge Jones
7th Mar 2013, 10:17 AM
Just in time for the Uni uploads - nice work :)

NixNivis
7th Mar 2013, 10:40 AM
"Return True and Standard Exit" cracked me up no end, because I'm geeky like that. :D

I'm not quite as deliriously happy about this new system as everybody else seems to be, but then again I'm a bit of a curmudgeon so it's probably just me being negative. I do recognise that considerable thought and effort has gone into this, though, and I appreciate that, curmudgeon or not. ;)

ScaryRob
7th Mar 2013, 6:02 PM
I hate to ask dumb questions when you are all so busy, but about how long does it take for a moderator to look over a Lot upload and approve it, assuming there is nothing wrong with it? Is it something that can be knocked out in 5 minutes? 10? 15? Longer?
Also, how big a backlog are you seeing, now that uploads have resumed?

I'm not trying to gauge your efficiency or anything like that. The first question is something I've always wondered about and the second one is pure curiosity.

Nysha
7th Mar 2013, 10:01 PM
I'm not particularly expert in lots, so if I look over a lot upload, it usually takes me about twice as long as it would a builder (which is why I very rarely moderate lots :p ). It's difficult to give an average for anything, though, because so much depends on the upload. The quickest ones are usually those which are bordering on perfect: Good pics, so we can see everything without squinting or hunting around, and clear info for the same reason; a great lot which looks good in every respect; and a lot with no included CC to check, can probably take just a couple of minutes. If there's complex feedback to give, then obviously it takes time to phrase that and type it up, and if there are lots of small niggly problems, then it takes a while to round them all up and double-check the "list". If we're having to check policies and so on for included CC, that adds quite some minutes to the process. I'd say that, for an upload which is easy to decide on, the basic process of going through and ticking boxes and writing comments and so on usually takes me 5-15 minutes. If I'm umming and erring and struggling to decide, then it takes a lot longer, especially if I decide to ask another mod's opinion. I would assume it's roughly the same for other mods, but I could be wrong. Of course, that's mainly based on my experiences with the old system - the new system is much faster for me, but then I've been blessed with a crop of fabulous uploads today. ;)

We've had 70-80 uploads since turning the queue back on. We're getting through them much faster than we used to, but it's still rather manic :p . We've moderated about half of them, but some of those are now waiting for changes from the creators, so they'll be back waiting for us again shortly.

Karen Lorraine
7th Mar 2013, 10:54 PM
And I've just added an apartment building to the list, lol :D

joandsarah77
7th Mar 2013, 11:09 PM
How are we meant to use the user cp to check the status of our upload? I just noticed it said that in the automated pm that comes once an item is submitted. Am I supposed to use the time on it to gage how long it’s been? It shows up as 1am USA time, is there some way I can change it to Eastern Australian time?

PharaohHound
7th Mar 2013, 11:12 PM
It shows up as 1am USA time, is there some way I can change it to Eastern Australian time?

You can change your time zone using the "edit options" menu (through the user tools menu).

joandsarah77
8th Mar 2013, 1:32 AM
Thanks, I didn't realize I didn't have that set. Now it shows I submitted it at 11.30 am. :)

lucy kemnitzer
8th Mar 2013, 1:38 AM
It still seems rather baroque and complicated and daunting to me, honestly. I'm not really sure I can deal with it. There are easier ways to share stuff, so I might skip it. But there's no place I'd rather be than here, so we'll see.

Sleepy-Genius
8th Mar 2013, 4:35 AM
Thank you for all of your hard work! :D

Just one thing. Is it still alright to put pay content in photos? http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=488087

Like, if I create another pose set and the hair is pay in the photos; since they don't need to download it or anything... is that still okay?

9b8ll
8th Mar 2013, 5:29 AM
Well I just uploaded a new mesh here, so I See how it goes.

Nysha
8th Mar 2013, 10:02 AM
Yes, Sleepy-Genius, that's still fine. All the old rules (barring the changes mentioned in the news post) still apply as before. :)

Sleepy-Genius
8th Mar 2013, 6:05 PM
Yes, Sleepy-Genius, that's still fine. All the old rules (barring the changes mentioned in the news post) still apply as before. :)

Thank you. :bunny:

child_of_air
8th Mar 2013, 10:03 PM
I think the new system will be a lot better, because the old system WAS very negative. I know people stopped uploading here because of it, and the wait time was annoying too. So, great for improving, although I wish it had been done sooner....say before Sims 3 came out. In any case, thanks for improving.

Karlene Dachenhausen
8th Mar 2013, 11:58 PM
Have I told you lately that I love you? Just happy you're back up and running again!

maxon
9th Mar 2013, 11:43 AM
although special props go to the tiny genius who posted a simsecret mocking us for being so unpopular that nobody uploaded anything for a whole month.
Bless. :rofl:

Psychosim
9th Mar 2013, 12:06 PM
More positive feedback, excellent idea! :lovestruc

NeonSim
10th Mar 2013, 12:24 AM
im glad things have changed and i hope that i see a difference. honestly i used to totally cringe every time i uploaded something coz i was awaiting someone to deny it just because i didnt put dirt under my flower beds or something...lol...its great to see you guys trying to make things better :)

PrincessPretty
10th Mar 2013, 12:39 AM
I love it!
Thanks to the wonderful MTS staff for working hard on this!

joandsarah77
10th Mar 2013, 12:43 AM
I can't wait to see this new feedback. Wish I knew how many are in the queue in front of me.

Essence Davis
10th Mar 2013, 3:00 AM
Good, I finally have a chance of getting something accepted :D
Putting my poor skills aside, this new system sounds like an awesome and needed change to mod the sims! I can't wait to use it!!!

adepal
10th Mar 2013, 11:30 AM
Good luck in dealing with the flood of uploads! :P

I never uploaded anything, but this is giving me ideas... I have some sims that I am really proud of, but identifying what CC I used and provide links... that will be a challenge... Then I remember that you guys did and do a great job on way tougher challenges, so ... time to get to work.

Thank you and keep rocking!

ttowntallyho
10th Mar 2013, 3:47 PM
Thanks for all your hard work in doing this. I remember I cried when I got my first rejection because it was so bad, I didn't even get an explanation on why it was rejected! I still have not been able to successfully upload that lot, but I will try again (one day). This new system seems pretty awesome in that the creator can know exactly what's good and what's wrong with his creation.

N8iveSims
10th Mar 2013, 6:03 PM
Thanks for all your hard work in doing this. I remember I cried when I got my first rejection because it was so bad, I didn't even get an explanation on why it was rejected! I still have not been able to successfully upload that lot, but I will try again (one day). This new system seems pretty awesome in that the creator can know exactly what's good and what's wrong with his creation.

Don't give up. We ALL get rejected. Many of mine have been rejected so don't feel bad. I encourage you to take screenshots of your items and post them in the creator feedback section to get some opinions on how to improve your project. At the top of the page, click Create and then Creator Feedback. Pick the section your upload belongs in and post away.

If you have questions on why your upload was rejected you can post it in Creator Issues - only you and the moderators can see it there.

Get busy creating! :luff:

(Oops! Sowwy! This is porkypine. I was working in the Mod Group project when I posted this and forgot I wasn't posting as myself. N8iveSims is working on a little project right now and working out some kinks. I get rejected mainly because my textures SUCK! :jest: It makes me try harder and I am improving.)

joandsarah77
11th Mar 2013, 1:45 AM
Well I finally got to see the new feedback pm and it looks good. I still think it would be nice if where points were lost it could be said why, although I guess that would take too much of the mods time to start thinking out replies. I only lost a star on the landscaping and one on the architecture so I'm well pleased, just wondering what other landscaping I could have done to get 5 stars.

ttowntallyho, why don't you put the house up on creators feedback and we can see how it can be improved.

Peni Griffin
11th Mar 2013, 5:18 AM
The important thing to remember, when being rejected, is that it's not personal. Nobody is rejecting you, and nobody is saying "your work sucks," though it may feel like it.

And though you think you want to be told what's wrong, the fact is, if anything is wrong, you can figure it out, and if nothing's wrong, the process is subjective. It is not only time-consuming to give detailed individual feedback, it is exhausting, and not as profitable as you think. (I speak, of course, from experience critiquing text-based fiction in completely different contexts, but the process is all the same.) You really are better off taking it to the creator feedback forum, or hosting it elsewhere, or setting it aside to age and getting on with the next thing. You may run across it again in six months and see exactly what you need to see to understand why it didn't make the cut.

malfoya
11th Mar 2013, 1:58 PM
This sounds like a great new idea. Even though I found the old system quite understandable, it's nice to be judged on each part of the upload. It's nice to see both your strong and weak sides of creating, so you know what to focus on next time. I don't think feedback can be too long. The longer it is, the more you have to work on without having to figure it all out yourself. And also we wont get thousands of threads with people wondering why their creations don't get uploaded. Instead they'll just let us know which part they got to work on :) Nice. Thumbs up!

gummilutt
11th Mar 2013, 3:09 PM
Positive feedback is always nice. The "YOU SUCK"-feelings are hard to avoid when something you love gets rejected, even if you know it's not personal, and often it can be hard to understand what the problem is, so getting more exact hints of what is good and what isn't sounds to me like it may encourage more people to create, and also help them develop.

I for one feel like it's time to dust off old projects and see if I can't get a third download out there.

Margaret Pendragon
12th Mar 2013, 2:06 AM
Will we for sure be notified if something's wrong with our upload? I submitted something on the 6th and still haven't heard anything.

Nysha
12th Mar 2013, 11:00 AM
Yes, you will be notified. As I said, there will be delays given how many uploads we're dealing with at the minute. :)

GinjaSnap
12th Mar 2013, 7:05 PM
It is just fantastic that things are up and running again!

But, and there must be a "but" of course, I have found an issue.
I find the rubric extremely useful for scoring yourself on, and it's sooo handy to have online.
It's great for creators to see how they are being "graded" with their uploads.

Now, here's my problem: when an upload requires changes, we are given the scored rubric, yes? It's nice, sure, but it's very confusing, and not as specific as when we had moderators tell us exactly what we had wrong. The rubric is more of a general thing. Is this just me?

Nysha
12th Mar 2013, 7:33 PM
You'll get the scored rubric, and (usually) some specific comments from the moderator on what you should change. When looking at the rubrics, focus on those elements which have got a 1 or 2 star especially - and don't forget that you can click the "Expand" link to see a little blurb and any relevant tutorial links.

If it's not clear what you need to do, please do feel free to use the notes box next to the "I'm ready for this to be reviewed" tickbox to ask for more specific suggestions. :)

CheekyBugga
12th Mar 2013, 7:44 PM
Well I finally got to see the new feedback pm and it looks good. I still think it would be nice if where points were lost it could be said why, although I guess that would take too much of the mods time to start thinking out replies. I only lost a star on the landscaping and one on the architecture so I'm well pleased, just wondering what other landscaping I could have done to get 5 stars.

ttowntallyho, why don't you put the house up on creators feedback and we can see how it can be improved.
I agree Jo, I really like the new system I think you just have to add more and stand out I know with mine I need to step up a bit. I give MTS 5 stars :) Well done and worth the wait Thank you!

NeonSim
14th Mar 2013, 8:15 AM
guys this system was far from improved.....i submitted a house days ago and its STILL not approved. my fault firstly coz i forgot to add a pic of the back of the house....but then i was told another pic was zoomed out too far...for real...anwayyyyyyyy

i updated my pics and yet AGAIN im rejected...coz the moderators wanted to ensure that my lot really did need all the EPs and SPs i listed...like its my fault if they cant recognise what items come from what EP...so i basically write half a page explaining why each EP and SP is needed...

improved system huh....now i remember why its been months since i ever tried to upload here......

its just a casual sims forum...not EA headquarters...

leefish
14th Mar 2013, 8:31 AM
@ neonsim - the lot is not rejected, if you are having a problem with your upload changes which were politely requested then please post in Creator Issues, this is not a public stage in addition to not being EA Headquarters.

NeonSim
14th Mar 2013, 1:44 PM
@ neonsim - the lot is not rejected, if you are having a problem with your upload changes which were politely requested then please post in Creator Issues, this is not a public stage in addition to not being EA Headquarters.

Sorry i thought freedom of speech was ok....this topic is about how fabulous the new and improved moderation queue has become and im just freely saying that i think it is just exactly as painful as it was before. Every tiny thing is picked on and its taken just as long as before to get a response. I think other people have the right to read other peoples point of view. Its a forum.....

I never said it wasn't polite. It was. I have no problem with having to add a required screenshot that i overlooked...but zoomed a few squares too far out or moderators assuming i dont know what eps or sps are required is annoying.

And its been 3 days already and i fixed the screenshot as soon as i got the message.....so yeah. Im not seeing anything great about this new system. So many Simmers have left this forum because of these issues. If its not fun to be part of something then people wont want to participate...Its fun to download things from here but to upload things is a nightmare and the new system seems just as stressful as the old one.

:rolleyes:

Ghost sdoj
14th Mar 2013, 2:02 PM
Just saying: Take a look at how long the queue was down. Do you suppose they may still be swamped by all the items that were ready to upload in January, February, and the first half of March before the new system came online? This is not really the best time to be judging how well the new moderation queue works, unless you are interested in seeing how well it performs under a stress test. If it's only taking "just as long as before" when they are swamped under 2 1/2 months of delayed uploads, it's doing fairly well.

(Although I do agree that sometimes the required changes don't make a lot of sense. Like requiring a brightly lit dark, gloomy catacomb.) You don't have to upload here if it's too annoying. You don't have to download. You can participate just as well by chatting, helping others with their game, joining contests (now that we have them running again. :) ) writing stories, making movies, etc.

xginkr2
14th Mar 2013, 3:21 PM
Wow! I'm really impressed with the new system! This is quite exciting! I have always been intimidated by the system, but I will definitely make an attempt to be published here now!

Thank you all for all your hard work and for being such a thorough and complete creation resource!

NeonSim
15th Mar 2013, 3:52 AM
You don't have to upload here if it's too annoying. You don't have to download. You can participate just as well by chatting, helping others with their game, joining contests (now that we have them running again. :) ) writing stories, making movies, etc.

Thats true, i dont have to upload here. But this site is one of the best ones so I do want to be part of it. As for taking a long time. They contacted me within 24 hours of my lot submission requesting another photo. So they did respond quick, but they ruined it by then asking me if i was sure if all the EPs and SPs i listed were really necessary. I replied and its been about 4 days total now. Still dont know what's happening.

Hey its not the end of the world. People are starving and dying in wars all over the place. I have perspective. But its a shame to get my hopes up just to have them let down. My other lot was submitted 3 days ago...still heard nothing. oh well.....I do hope that they lighten up with the rules because i hate loading my game up and going into my lot just to edited a flat wall or something, take another pic, change lot price and then update my submission.....it seems unnecessary.

Margaret Pendragon
15th Mar 2013, 8:09 PM
They contacted me within 24 hours of my lot submission requesting another photo. So they did respond quick, but they ruined it by then asking me if i was sure if all the EPs and SPs i listed were really necessary. I replied and its been about 4 days total now. Still dont know what's happening.Eh, that's nothing. I submitted something the same day the queue opened 9 days ago and haven't heard anything at all. I also submitted something on the 9th, 6 days ago, and nothing on that one either. We just have to wait.

NeonSim
16th Mar 2013, 2:26 AM
Really...goodness. I dont understand why they would rave on about things being improved if they arent. I dont know.....

heaven
16th Mar 2013, 6:02 AM
Neonsim, if you look at the first page, nowhere did it say anything about quality being less important or the guidelines being less stringent. Unless specifically stated, the guidelines and requirements are still exactly the same as they were before. The new system, and improvement, is that now you will also get positive feedback as well as the things that didn't fit the bill. It has been mentioned multiple times that the queue is quite backed up. We only have so many mods, each that work on a specific area so we may only have one or two moderators that work in the Lots area of the queue. Whether you are aware of it or not, Lots are one of THE most uploaded to sections of the queue and with so many new uploads as well as mods that have real lives outside of this forum, things might take awhile to get cleaned up and running as it should, and will, once the craziness has died down.

As for your EP/SP requirements, many people used to TS2 think that if you have it installed, it's required. TS3 is not the same. Most of the time when people click ALL the boxes, they do so not knowing it's not needed. Your moderator asked very politely that you just check to make sure before it was approved. You have to actually do the things requested and let the moderator know you have done so before they'll look at it again. Which, by the way, you haven't. When you only use 1 item from a Stuff Pack, especially a small one and don't show every nook and cranny of every room, you can't expect your moderator to have eagle eyes and be able to spot it. As leesester suggested, if you're really confused, go to Creator Issues and make a post there.

We're doing our best to keep things running smoothly. We've got over one hundred items in the queue right now which means: So, you know that thing about faster moderation? That's going to be a long-term benefit.Please be patient. Again, if you're concerned, go to Creator Issues. I don't think -anyone- should have to say this or point you in that direction again. Enough is enough.

For everyone else, thank you for the words of encouragement. We're happy that most of you are enjoying the new changes and getting to experience the chance to know what you did right. We're working on getting through everything to the best of our ability and we do apologize for some of the extended wait times at this moment. We look forward to seeing what everyone has in store for us, maybe when our eyes uncross from what's already lined up! :lol:

Nysha
16th Mar 2013, 11:03 AM
So, the only important thing about moderation in your opinion is how long it takes? You're indifferent to all the other changes?

I don't mean to play down the importance of time, of course - that's why I included the warning that there will be long delays for the first while - but speed isn't the primary thing we're aiming for with these changes, it's just a happy side effect.

Inge Jones
16th Mar 2013, 11:24 AM
I have to admit I was a little surprised to see what appeared to be an added layer of complexity rather than the simplification I thought HP was once hinting at when they spoke of reviewing the system, but if it works towards the aims of this site, then that's fine by most of us, I'm sure :)

Nysha
16th Mar 2013, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean :p . The new system does involve a lot more information than the old. But there's also an element of transparency here - previously creators only got the info that the mods deemed they needed, now they get everything (almost - we've still got loose ends, like publishing the rubrics in full). So while it's more to take in than before, it hopefully demystifies the process a bit, and makes the next step in the process a bit more predictable, especially when it comes to CRs. It's perhaps not simpler, but it's also much less obscure, imo.

ani_
16th Mar 2013, 2:49 PM
I just got to try this out first hand, got the feedback for the mod and made changes and so on. This new system is really nice, I had no problems with the old system but the new is quite clear when you see the stars you can immediately see, what part is ok and what not and that's great. I haven't read all the comments on this thread so if my three suggestions have been already mentioned here I apologize.

When uploading the item. Would it be possible to get a full editor when entering the main text? Now it seems to be a quick editor, no buttons to bold text or add links. I ended up writing the text as a "reply" to another thread where I could use the full editor and then copy pasting it to the upload editor so I didn't have to insert the bold tags and link tags by hand.

The second suggestion is about replying to the feedback. I edited the main text, wrote my comment and then hit update. the page refreshed and I see my comment. Then I scroll down the page a bit and again there is the same section, of attention, step 1 make changes, step 2 update. And again this section has the update button. So then comes the great question of do I have to click this update button too? Which of course I did because it was a button and it was active but that just emptied any comments I had added to the post. So I had to go back and re-do the commenting on the feedback.

The older version had a more clear, this has now gone back to the moderator queue, message that showed up after you made the changes and press update. Now I think it went back to the queue because I can see my comments when I return to the page but there is no clear indication that it has gone back.

3. Thirdly I'd disable all editing buttons after it goes back to the que, so people wouldn't be tempted to press stuff :)

kslibra
16th Mar 2013, 10:16 PM
I don't know if this goes here - I noticed the change (finally getting around to "complaining") AND the link regarding the new system so.... If it goes someplace else, let me know so I can resubmit or move it for me and let me know where it went!

I hate, hate, hate that you eliminated the tabs at the bottom of the pages. I do what I'm supposed to do and read through the Overview page to see what the item does, needs, downloading instructions, etc. Now, when I get to the bottom and want to download or read comments, I have to click on the scroll several times to return to the top. I want - I NEED - the option of being able to click at the bottom without having to take those additional steps. It doesn't sound like much but it is. If you don't want to put the tabs back at the bottom, you need to at least put a button that takes you back to the top.

Tashiketh
17th Mar 2013, 11:57 AM
Considering there are currently exactly 100 items in the queue right now, as whiterider said, theres a bit of a backlog. Just be patient and we'll get to each in turn. :)

Tashiketh
17th Mar 2013, 11:59 AM
I don't know if this goes here - I noticed the change (finally getting around to "complaining") AND the link regarding the new system so.... If it goes someplace else, let me know so I can resubmit or move it for me and let me know where it went!

I hate, hate, hate that you eliminated the tabs at the bottom of the pages. I do what I'm supposed to do and read through the Overview page to see what the item does, needs, downloading instructions, etc. Now, when I get to the bottom and want to download or read comments, I have to click on the scroll several times to return to the top. I want - I NEED - the option of being able to click at the bottom without having to take those additional steps. It doesn't sound like much but it is. If you don't want to put the tabs back at the bottom, you need to at least put a button that takes you back to the top.

I guess you haven't noticed the little "Top" link thats been at the bottom right hand corner of download threads (in a fixed position) for a couple years now? :) It's on the grey bar with the Edit button, bottom right of your browser window.

GreenonePly
17th Mar 2013, 9:26 PM
who work so hard to maintain this site for us cc junkies. Thank u all for u'r hard work and continued dedication. I love this site and almost all of my cc comes from here. I am sure once every one has used the new system a couple times we will all be happy with it. Thanks again to all ur creators and their hard work. :rofl: :D :king:

k2m1too
18th Mar 2013, 11:48 AM
Not sure where to report this, so I thought I'd put it here... Hopefully someone "official" is still watching this thread... I noticed on one of the recent pose packs that was upload, there is a new section in the "Download" tab with the title "This is a Custom Pose or Animation". (I believe this was mentioned as one of the enhancements to the new process.) In the text under this box (and I'm guessing it's auto-text), there are links to "Pose Player" and "Animation Player". Both links appear to be dead. The one to cmomoney is a-okay, though.

Here is a link to the pose pack I happened to be looking at when I noticed this issue. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=498737

Tashiketh
18th Mar 2013, 12:18 PM
k2m1too: Thanks for the heads up! There was a weird character in the URLs that I copy pasted - so it's now fixed. :)

Margaret Pendragon
18th Mar 2013, 8:50 PM
I do agree, the feedback sounds like it will be very helpful. Speed of moderation though is discouraging, considering my first submission was made the very same day as the queues opened and I see more recent downloads being posted. Understand, I'm not really complaining, just providing feedback for you that is a little discouraging. I have several other things I'd love to submit, but haven't, due to the backlog. I know everyone is busy and that some moderators may able to moderate certain types of uploads quicker than others. Keep up the good work.

SimsMatthew
19th Mar 2013, 10:15 AM
It may be off topic and you guys may redirect me to Creator Issues, but there seems to be no one there. Anyway, I have uploaded my creation for about a week, and I do wonder that is there a long moderation queue? Certainly over 96 hours, I think.

What about others?

Tashiketh
19th Mar 2013, 1:31 PM
We're doing them as fast as they come in - right now 101 in the queue of which 60 still need to be looked at. I'm going to be going through as much of the backlog as I can tonight so hopefully a lot of you will start getting through the queue. I'm really sorry about the delays here - even though it's faster to process each one now, we're just getting swamped with new uploads!

mattgeo
19th Mar 2013, 2:38 PM
I would just like to say the new system is so much better than the old one. I was one of those people that submitted something (a year or two back) and got back a very long and confusing of negative criticism and no real answers. And got rather discouraged, so I just deleted alot of the stuff I wanted to try to upload, and just came to MTs to download things. The new system is great, and the feedback now is amazing. I actually just fixed my 2nd upload (I think it will be the 1st one to be accepted :D ), and thanks to the great feedback I made it even better.

And I plan to submit even more sims and houses to MTS!

And to the moderator that reviewed my submission. Thank you!

heaven
19th Mar 2013, 3:15 PM
It may be off topic and you guys may redirect me to Creator Issues, but there seems to be no one there. Anyway, I have uploaded my creation for about a week, and I do wonder that is there a long moderation queue? Certainly over 96 hours, I think.

What about others?

I know Delphy answered regarding times so you probably won't need to post in Creator Issues but I just wanted to let you know that CI -always- looks empty. As a user, you can only see the threads that you start there while moderators can see all the threads in there. Don't worry, we're there if you do post!

Jaylo
19th Mar 2013, 9:47 PM
I've been meaning to upload some new sims...

allison731
20th Mar 2013, 2:52 AM
This is great improvement. I adore it. :lovestruc
Now will be more fun and interesting make new creations. :bunny: :beer:

leefish
20th Mar 2013, 8:24 AM
I was using the new moderation system yesterday, and apart from a few hiccups (waves sheepishly to the poor uploader who accidentally got rejected instead of accepted - you know who you are) I think it is actually a lot better than the old system.

It helps when moderating to have a full set of things to look for - is this guideline met or not - it is very clear to moderate and hopefully clear for the uploader too. I am still a little slow with it, but that is just getting used to a new setup.

gummilutt
25th Mar 2013, 10:22 PM
I have a question that I am not sure where to put, and since the first post mentions what it's related to I figure I'll ask it here.

Now that content from FA from TSR can be included in lots, what kind of granted permission is required to actually include these lots? Since TSR has TSRAA, very few creators there have specific guidelines as far as I've been able to tell. I personally think TSRAA should count wherever, but I checked their definition and it's technically only for uploading on TSR. Do MTS want us to contact each creator to get specific permission, is TSRAA status considered enough?

doorknob
26th Mar 2013, 6:24 PM
I have a question.

How do I know my upload even went through. I got no nice letter saying it was received and also how long should I wait before I try uploading again? I haven't heard anything for four days now.

Nysha
26th Mar 2013, 7:07 PM
doorknob, if you haven't received a PM, then your upload didn't go through and, indeed, there's nothing from you in the queue. If you go to User Tools -> User Control Panel, you may find that a draft was automatically saved, which you can use to resubmit.

gummilutt, TSRAA is pretty specifically only applicable to lots uploaded to TSR, so it's not sufficient for including stuff on MTS. If you want to include TSR content and the creator doesn't have a policy, then yes, you should contact the creator. You can also remove the content from the sims2pack/sims3pack and list it as required, with a link for downloaders to get it straight from TSR.

doorknob
27th Mar 2013, 12:53 AM
^^^^

Thank you whiterider. No indeed it did not go through. Thank you I was so confused.

sims2girl12
28th Mar 2013, 7:48 PM
LOOL True Story!...:3

charmedirish1
30th Apr 2013, 1:21 PM
Who ever said this site was not popular has not been on here long enough cause since i joined here its always got stuff uploaded on here and some stuff that cant be found anywhere else.

spladoum
1st May 2013, 1:01 PM
Who ever said this site was not popular has not been on here long enough cause since i joined here its always got stuff uploaded on here and some stuff that cant be found anywhere else.

It was a joke, darlin'.

CelticDragon0
12th Jun 2013, 1:48 AM
How about using a moderator that actually PLAYS the game and doesn't base everything on his UBER COMP?!

Ghost sdoj
12th Jun 2013, 10:43 PM
As far as I was aware they all play the game, although they may not have time to play as much as they would like to, given their duties here.
Are you having trouble with something you downloaded?