PDA

View Full Version : advice on which light to clone

Krabaten59
9th Sep 2012, 7:36 PM
I don't know if it's only me being thick headed, but I have tried I don't know how many time to create an outdoor lamp to sit on the ground. So far I've tried my luck with cloning The City Dweller light (couldn't make my bulb and glass part work), the Spike light (but that seems to be slaved to the City Dweller and I've never dealt with slaved objects before (but I have tried making subsets, adding texture images and TXMT- and MMAT files)

- and finally I've tried cloning the Garden Glow Spotlight - and I can't make that work either. The metal part of it needs a texture file and I've done my very best to do all that's needed, adding image and files, checking and rechecking filenames ect., but it won't take the texture. According to the CEP list it shouldn't be slaved...so why doesn't the metal (or 'body' - as it's called) subset have a texture image to begin with?
I perplexed.

Which lamp should I clone instead?? I need the lamp to be basegame, so I don't see a lot of cloning options left.

HugeLunatic
10th Sep 2012, 1:07 AM
If slaved objects confuse or intimidate, then definitely clone one that has all resources in its package. You may only have a TXMT with no texture resource for metal parts because the color is controlled by the TXMT. If having trouble with subsets for a light, you may have forgotten to update the TXT lists. I would say try again, and post in object creation workshop for help fixing it, but here is a list of things to be on the lookout for when doing multi state objects (aka lights).
http://www.hugelunatic.com/multi-state-object-checklist

Krabaten59
10th Sep 2012, 7:01 AM
Thanks for anwering! Thing is there don't seem to be a lamp to use that actually has all the ressources in it...

But I'll have a look at the check list and give it another try :)

Krabaten59
10th Sep 2012, 1:04 PM
Okay, so following the checklist, I now manged to get the texure to show in SimPe preview, but it refuses to show itself ingame. I think I need someone to take a look at my package, so here it is. Will some kind and wise soul take a look at my lamp and maybe spot what's wrong? I've cloned it from the Garden Spotlight.
It's a Cape Cod style lamp, I've made one allredy as a fence lamp, so I figured it should have a mate to go on the gound as well. The fence version I cloned from the Buckaroo lamp (if I remmeber correctly) and that seems to work.

I'm at the point where 1: I'm ready to ditch it all together and 2: also want to know how to make it work.

Many thanks in advance!

HugeLunatic
10th Sep 2012, 3:28 PM
When adding a texture to be used in a TXMT for an object that did not previously have a texture enabled, you need to add stdMatBaseTextureEnabled set to true. This tells the game the object is able to use a texture in addition to using the TXMT to control color/shine.

Once the object was set to take color, I adjusted the stdMatEnvCubeCoef to change the reflection by changing the values to the base numbers of 0.0,0.0,0.0.

Then I changed the stdMatDiffCoef to 0.8,0.8,0.8 to make the color diffusion neutral.

All of that is outlined in the tutorials by Pixelhate if you want to explore more. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=316260

Krabaten59
10th Sep 2012, 5:35 PM
stdMatBaseTextureEnabled - off course! :faceslap:

And I actually have Pixelhates tutorials, I even read them once upon a time. Well I guess I've learned something today.

The lamp now has a texture in game, only thing I need to tweak is my glass texture, it's way too pale, so back into Photoshop and SimPe I go.

Thank you very very much, HugeLunatic, for taking the time and trouble top help me with this!

HugeLunatic
10th Sep 2012, 5:55 PM
Your welcome. :)