PDA

View Full Version : Any sad, depressing, emotional films you watched in the past?

RomerJon17
11th Mar 2012, 12:22 PM
Any sad, depressing, emotional films you watched in the past?

When you were a teenager or little?

VerDeTerre
11th Mar 2012, 1:33 PM
Can they ultimately end up hopeful or uplifting in any way? I can't stand sad films that leave me feeling hopeless, but I do enjoy films that push me emotionally or intellectually.

One of my favorites is Life Is Beautiful. I've recommended this film to many people over the years but only recently realized that it's not a true story, but rather a fable of sorts based on real life events. It grips.

malfoya
11th Mar 2012, 3:25 PM
I watch My Sister's keeper sometime ago. At first I thought it looked like a boring and "empty" movie, but it turned out to be great. Cameron Diaz did such a great job playing the concerned mother. All the characters had such dept and the ending of the movie was really good in a weird kinda way (not gonna spoil anything). I felt like it was really a sad, but down to earth movie. Nothing you watch with a bunch of friends, but a good movie for a day off.

leefish
11th Mar 2012, 3:38 PM
Message in a Bottle with Kevin Costner. That film is like being hit over the head with a misery hammer. I don't recommend it - I actually was too outraged at it to cry.

VerDeTerre
11th Mar 2012, 5:53 PM
I watch My Sister's keeper sometime ago. At first I thought it looked like a boring and "empty" movie, but it turned out to be great. Cameron Diaz did such a great job playing the concerned mother. All the characters had such dept and the ending of the movie was really good in a weird kinda way (not gonna spoil anything). I felt like it was really a sad, but down to earth movie. Nothing you watch with a bunch of friends, but a good movie for a day off. One of the literature teachers at school refuses to watch it since the author herself did not like what they did to her story (http://www.buzzsugar.com/Jodi-Picoult-Thrilled-New-Ending-My-Sisters-Keeper-Movie-2892082). Have you read the book? I loved it. I've read it three times and cried through the last few chapters each time. Part of me is curious about the movie, but I think I'm less than thrilled that they would change the ending.

RomerJon17
11th Mar 2012, 10:48 PM
You know what.....
Do you remember the film called Toy Story 3....

The ending scene made me cry =( Childhood to Young Adult =(

malfoya
12th Mar 2012, 1:24 AM
One of the literature teachers at school refuses to watch it since the author herself did not like what they did to her story (http://www.buzzsugar.com/Jodi-Picoult-Thrilled-New-Ending-My-Sisters-Keeper-Movie-2892082). Have you read the book? I loved it. I've read it three times and cried through the last few chapters each time. Part of me is curious about the movie, but I think I'm less than thrilled that they would change the ending.

Honestly I didn't even know it was based on a book at first. Though I'm not surprised as that kinda movies usually are. I thought it was a great movie, but surely I don't know what the author of the book felt when she wrote the original story..

I just found myself watching the whole movie without surfing on other sites etc. Which is a good thing in my world as I'm never able to focus when watching movies :P

I did read PS I love you though, then watch the movie. So if it's like that for your teacher and the auther I can understand them! PS I love you sucked in movie form, but was great in book form! Also a sad story.. but maybe with a better ending than other sad stories.

Clashfan
12th Mar 2012, 1:38 AM
Midnight Cowboy, that movie depressed me for about 2 weeks even though it's a brilliant movie I've only ever sat through it the one time. It's much more gritty 70's realism than a tearjerker though so it's not just a "sad" movie.

On the more recent front the movie Sideways depressed the hell out of me. It was hyped as a comedy and it so very much wasn't a comedy. I kept wondering if maybe I didn't think it was that funny because I don't know that much about wine so I wasn't getting the references, nope it was just a drama not a comedy. It was a good movie it was just not what I was anticipating or expecting and man it was depressing.

bassoon_crazy
12th Mar 2012, 5:26 AM
I've never seen a movie more depressing and sad than Changeling. The worst part of it is that is based on real-life happenings. Not saying that I regret watching it, but it made me very depressed.

opiumgirl
12th Mar 2012, 5:42 AM
One of my favorites is Life Is Beautiful.

I love this movie, but I don't find it so much sad as really uplifting.

A movie that I also love is Unbearable Lightness of being.
Based on the book by Milan Kundera. It is not so much a remake of the book as a companion to the book.
The book is about the philosophy behind beauty, life, love etc and the movie is sort of made up of the bits he uses to illustrate his points.
I am not sure how much sense one would make without the other as I have both read and watched it many times.
It is a good title and in many ways the movie is unbearable, but it is awesome.
The first time I watched it though, I cried for and hour and a half until I fell asleep, so be warned. :)

Mistermook
12th Mar 2012, 7:00 AM
Grave of the Fireflies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies

On the other hand, the recent GI Joe movie was perhaps as depressing a film as a film I've ever seen. Was it the worst movie I've ever seen? I'm not sure, but it's certainly the worst investment of money that resulted in a product that apparently made money I've ever seen. Emotionally, artistically, it's the equivalent of watching a company spend a billion dollars shitting in the mouths of the elderly and people cheering them on for it.

Watch the first, use the second to even out your sofa with the wobbly side by shoving under the leg.

sandymdh
12th Mar 2012, 9:11 AM
Pans Labyrinth - sobbed for hours after that one. I'm not as young as many of you and have probably watched many thousands of films - not one has come close to how sad that film is.

simbalena
12th Mar 2012, 9:56 AM
Buddha Collapsed out of Shame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xewwbwQDUg)

Shhh
12th Mar 2012, 10:47 PM
Ok, cheesy time:

Titanic
Black Beauty
The Black Stallion (horsey gurl :) )
Marley and Me - So, so, so sad.

missy harries
12th Mar 2012, 11:53 PM
Stephen King's The Mist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/). That film left me with such a sad, sad feeling at the end I wanted to cry.....
The Road (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/) is another, it depressed me for the entire evening, I thought it a pretty accurate portrayal which is why it bummed me out so much!

VerDeTerre
13th Mar 2012, 11:34 AM
So many great titles here! I'll have to check out some of these films.

I don't like movies that are so sad and depressing that at the end you ask yourself, "what was the point of all that?". I prefer to have a reason behind all of the suffering, or at least a way to make sense of it all.

Saving Private Ryan always gets me at the end when the veteran asks if his life was worth it - meaning the effort to save it. It makes me think of my father, a veteran of WWII, and how he must have had some measure of survivor guilt.

I loved Fearless with Jeff Bridges. It's beautiful and sad and uplifting at the end. I've never seen a film with Jeff Bridges that I did not enjoy.

Bodhie
13th Mar 2012, 9:25 PM
when I was a kid , I watched mostly horrors movies and I laughed my butt off cose I didn't find them scary (my mom is more scary then the Alien Queen) .
It only when you become adult , and in my case an emotional wreck that I watch now emotional/sad movies . And i can't stand horrors movies anymore lol

But sad movies (I love them and hate them cose most don't have a happy ending) .

But of the best (and no happy ending I'm warning you!) are :
-Boy's Don't Cry
-1million Dollars Baby
- Aimée&Jaguar
-Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon (My favorite couple don't get a happy ending and that's the teacher and the merchant lady?) .
- Les oiseaux se cachent pour mourir (in english I think it's called :The Thorn Birds. But I read the book and didn't watch the Tv serie ) .
-The Others (with N.Kidman) another very sad (but recent and I recommand them: The Moon , Shutter Island with L.Dicaprio ) .

Sad Movies I wanna see and are coming :
- With Glenn Close : Albert Nobbs
- With Meryl Streep : The Iron Lady (I'm not fan of politic like movies but I love M.S)
- The Help

opiumgirl
13th Mar 2012, 10:06 PM
-Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon (My favorite couple don't get a happy ending and that's the teacher and the merchant lady?) .

If you like that try Hero with Jet Li:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/
it will blow your mind.

Bodhie
13th Mar 2012, 10:12 PM
it will blow your mind.

I will Thank You :)

missy harries
13th Mar 2012, 10:18 PM
it will blow your mind.

One of the best films ever, it's on my top ten and comes with the missy seal of approval. Second that recommendation :)

SuicidiaParasidia
14th Mar 2012, 7:49 AM
i'm not a crier, but the occasional Law & Order: SVU episode will hit me where it hurts. usually, though, most drama in movies is so overdone and uninspiring i mostly giggle or roll my eyes at the spectacle. i cant think of a single movie type film that has ever made me cry.

DigitalSympathies
14th Mar 2012, 9:00 AM
Elephant. Though that is my favourite movie.

Oh, and Requiem for a Dream. Saw in in class when I was twelve (the teacher put it on and walked out, thinking it was a musical) and I CRIED SOOOO HARD.

A Beautiful Mind also comes to mind. No pun.

NonaMena
14th Mar 2012, 10:02 AM
Some good, sad films in this thread. Dancer in the Dark with Björk is also an extremely sad film, but if you don't like Björk's music you might not appreciate it.

VerDeTerre
14th Mar 2012, 8:45 PM
A Beautiful Mind also comes to mind. No pun. I love that one! It's on my list of movies my sweetheart must see :)

Bodhie
14th Mar 2012, 9:07 PM
Elephant. Though that is my favourite movie.
The one black and white ? I mean the old version black and white of the movie ?
That's the only one I saw...and it was..hard to watch . Only saw it once and I was a kid too (on TV , we didn't have any technologie in class at that time lol) .

Nysha
15th Mar 2012, 11:44 AM
Oh man, so many, of various types...
Girl, Interrupted is one of those which is sad, the whole premise of it is heartbreaking, but they do use it to create some very uplifting bits. It's not a pure "look at these brave characters soldiering on" thing, though - there's some real tragedy in there.

Carrie. It doesn't get much more miserable than Carrie.

I'd second A Beautiful Mind, and another one I always package alongside it in my head is Butterfly Effect, a striking tale of the utter futility of all the main character's efforts (don't ever watch the cinema release - they totally ruined the ending. Watch the Director's Cut, which retains the original ending, deemed to be too horrific for the sensitivities of the general public).

I suspect Old Boy is pretty depressing too, though frankly, the one time I watched it I really had no idea what was going on...

Bodhie
16th Mar 2012, 12:46 AM
Girls Interrupted was good , but was it really sad ? I though they had a happy ending no ?

More Sad movies :
-Les Misérables
- Papillon
-The English Patient
-Rebelles
-Roots (very very hard to watch)

VerDeTerre
16th Mar 2012, 11:28 AM
Can't a sad movie have an uplifting ending?

I enjoyed The English Patient very much, but it took a long time to get started. I keep thinking about that Seinfeld episode where they talk about wishing the English patient would just die!

I think Buffy The Musical should be in the movie category, although it's hard to make sense of if you haven't been following the story arcs. I often watch it - just that episode, out of order, and cry through it each time.

sandymdh
16th Mar 2012, 1:25 PM
On the Buffy theme I have watched them all except for the one with her Mum's funeral. Just can't do it to myself :cry:

fynenubian
16th Mar 2012, 2:29 PM
Leon: The Professional , had my crying like an infant ...lol..

Also , Madame Butterfly (M.Butterfly with Jeremy Irons and John Lone), and Kiss of the Spider Woman(1985). Those two are my all-time favorite movies , everytime I watch them , I still cry .

Riptide651
16th Mar 2012, 3:25 PM
I saw The Way, and although it was touching, funny, and sad it was not depressing. It was quite a remarkable movie and I'd recommend it :)

VerDeTerre
16th Mar 2012, 9:29 PM
On the Buffy theme I have watched them all except for the one with her Mum's funeral. Just can't do it to myself :cry: It's a killer of an episode and also very good. It won some well-deserved awards. Maybe someday you'll be up for it.

RomerJon17
16th Mar 2012, 9:54 PM
Have you seen "The Pursuit of Happyness"

Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith. That film was so inspiring and I loved it =)

Bodhie
16th Mar 2012, 11:54 PM
Can't a sad movie have an uplifting ending?

What do you mean by uplifting ? as in a happy ending or just as in the ending leave us with hope feeling ?

One that has a sad ending , but for some reason I still felt like a rejoice and hopeful feeling is the movie with Robin Williams : Bicentennial Man

I think Buffy The Musical should be in the movie category
You mean Buffy the Vampire slayer right ? A musical ? I know they sing in an episode...but a musical ? (I stopped watching after Tara death , so no 7season for me) .

VerDeTerre
17th Mar 2012, 12:25 AM
What do you mean by uplifting ? as in a happy ending or just as in the ending leave us with hope feeling ?

One that has a sad ending , but for some reason I still felt like a rejoice and hopeful feeling is the movie with Robin Williams : Bicentennial Man

You mean Buffy the Vampire slayer right ? A musical ? I know they sing in an episode...but a musical ? (I stopped watching after Tara death , so no 7season for me) .

Uplifting doesn't necessarily mean happy. For me, there are a lot of movies that are very sad even when things seem to "work out" in the end because there was so much suffering to get there.

Bicentennial Man was a good film and, yes, sad and uplifting at once.

Yes, I meant BTVS - I forgot to put in the whole title. The musical is in season 6 and Tara has a role. When I first heard about it, my reaction was disbelief that it would be anything worth watching. My son urged me on and said he wanted to see it again. That got my curiosity right there - my son wanted to see a musical - again. I had no idea which part of that concept to emphasize. It's an awesome episode from a show that had so many. Whedon is a genious.

Bodhie
17th Mar 2012, 12:45 AM
Ah , no it was me who misunderstood (Musicale= thinking they made another show where they all just sing ) but you were talking about a musical episode .
Which part did you like ? Tara (Amber Benson was best) . But the Buffy/Spike was the saddest in my opinion . Even Anya got me tearing (in the appartement) but laugh later (bunnies song) .

VerDeTerre
17th Mar 2012, 1:18 AM
There were a lot of stories to get caught up in and so well were they interwoven. I think it was Buffy herself who got to me over and over again through her pain, her angst, and her confusion resulting from having to be the chosen one and from having been pulled from the grave. Weird how I could relate to her feelings of isolation and lack of joy and participation in life. Her theme is the one that glues the musical together from her opening song Going Through the Motions, to Gile's paternal song Standing, to the ensemble's Walk Through the Fire, and, finally, her song Something to Sing About.

You're right, Amber Benson is an amazing talent. There are some parts in Walk Through the Fire that always crack me up: when Willow sings, "I think this line's mostly filler" , Xander sings "What if Buffy can't defeat it?" and Anya adds, "Beady Eyes is right, we're needed", and when Spike sings, "The torch I bear is scorching me, Buffy's laughing, I've no doubt. I hope she fries! I'm free if that bitch dies!" then immediately changes his mind and sings, "I better help her out...".

This is so off topic....it's hard not to go on and on about Buffy.

Oaktree
17th Mar 2012, 10:18 PM
Harold & Maude is both sad and uplifting. It's a really quirky film, with humor, romance, a fairly dark sense of humor, and a sort of lightness to it. It's about a young man who is obsessed with death who falls in love with a very lively, carefree old woman. It's also got great music; all of the music is by Cat Stevens.

VerDeTerre
17th Mar 2012, 10:32 PM
Harold & Maude is both sad and uplifting. It's a really quirky film, with humor, romance, a fairly dark sense of humor, and a sort of lightness to it. It's about a young man who is obsessed with death who falls in love with a very lively, carefree old woman. It's also got great music; all of the music is by Cat Stevens. OMG - This is my favorite movie of all time. Oddly, I don't think of it as sad. That movie has influenced me greatly. Maude was such a free spirit and I want to be like her when I grow up!

MsScribble
20th Mar 2012, 4:43 AM
King Kong makes me incredibly sad and depressed and you just don't want to be in a room with me when I'm watching it. There's too much snot and tears. WHY I watch it at all is beyond me.

DigitalSympathies
20th Mar 2012, 8:46 AM
The one black and white ? I mean the old version black and white of the movie ?
That's the only one I saw...and it was..hard to watch . Only saw it once and I was a kid too (on TV , we didn't have any technologie in class at that time lol) .

This one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVIBXwyT6g

punkrockgoth1988
21st Mar 2012, 4:57 PM
Snow Cake, starring Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver, and also the lady who played Trinity in The Matrix. Very good movie, in my honest opinion.

Yazoo
22nd Mar 2012, 8:21 PM
Seven Pounds with Will Smith. That movie made me bawl my eyes out. Just the story and everything behind it. The raw emotion.

My Sisters Keeper, made me bawl my eyes out as well. My cousin watched it first, and when I watched it with him, we had two boxes of tissues. Because how sad the movie was. :( Just incredibly sad.

Old Yeller That was a good movie...All the way...Well, until you know, then it made me cry.

I hate sad movies...I hate crying during movies :(

Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
30th Mar 2012, 1:51 AM
I'm affected more by sad moments, rather than by sad stories. Like, "Good Will Hunting", for example, it's not thoroughly sad, but there's one scene that is. I think it's because of the good acting.

See for yourself, It's Not Your Fault (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92D15qtI_Gk).

It's Not Your Fault (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92D15qtI_Gk)

:P That's one of those movies you pass along to the future generation

vhanster
31st Mar 2012, 9:12 AM
I suppose that would be Hachiko.

wildsimmers
31st Mar 2012, 11:03 AM
I haven't seen the whole film but Marley and Me seems pretty sad. I hate watching movies where the dog dies. :'<

Bodhie
2nd Apr 2012, 6:45 AM
The Pianiste - very sad movie . Hum , La Vita E bella was beautiful to watch sad and not sad at the same time lol

Monster was also sad and very hard to watch .

Saturnfly
2nd Apr 2012, 8:25 AM
The Elephant Man, there's also an old animated film about two dogs who escape from (I think) a science experiment lab thingy, it was probably the most depressing film I've ever seen since there really isn't an ounce of happy to it. I can't for the life of me, remember what it's called.
I'm only really affected by sad animal films and films about mentally challenged people, lol.

Boy's Don't Cry was also pretty sad, especially since it's based on a true story.

I also want to cry and hug my pillow every time I see Jack Bauer cry.

Bodhie
2nd Apr 2012, 8:40 AM
there's also an old animated film about two dogs who escape from (I think) a science experiment lab thingy, it was probably the most depressing film I've ever seen since there really isn't an ounce of happy to it. I can't for the life of me, remember what it's called.

hum maybe it's this one ? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague_Dogs

I agree , animals movies (especially when they are mistreated) are sad sad sad !

The Elephant man I saw that one ONCE , and it was enough to last a life time . Did you watch One Million dollars Baby ? It,s the same lady who played in Boys Don't cry . I love her movies...but they are really hard to watch . (and Boys Don't cry , the real story is sadder then the movie ) .

Saturnfly
2nd Apr 2012, 8:46 AM
hum maybe it's this one ? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague_Dogs

I agree , animals movies (especially when they are mistreated) are sad sad sad !

The Elephant man I saw that one ONCE , and it was enough to last a life time . Did you watch One Million dollars Baby ? It,s the same lady who played in Boys Don't cry . I love her movies...but they are really hard to watch . (and Boys Don't cry , the real story is sadder then the movie ) .

Yeah! The Plague Dogs. >:

Million Dollar Baby was really quite sad, I love Hilary Swank and that movie was quite unexpectedly depressing.

strawberrydreams123
10th Apr 2012, 5:43 PM
Twilight

It made me sad that some people actually like it.

J_Fanning
10th Apr 2012, 6:42 PM
The movie "Pay it Forward". I did NOT see the ending coming, and I went from bawling my eyes out (for about 30 min.- a record for me) to madder than a wet hen! Don't get me wrong, it really it is a GOOD movie. But I warn you...if you have not seen it, get ready for the tissues, for you will need a case of them!

Bodhie
11th Apr 2012, 4:33 AM
One of the best films ever, it's on my top ten and comes with the missy seal of approval. Second that recommendation :)

And I did watch it ! and it was AMAZING! OpiumGirl got her ear blown with my yell of SO BEAUTIFUL! Her ears are still ringing I bet LOL

So yeah great recommandation there , thanx a bunch !

1million dollar Baby , was recommanded by a friend . I personally love Miss Swank movies , but after Boys don't cry and this one . I'm making someone with solid set of eyes (mine become fountain easely) to watch it and warn me if I will cry or not . :giggler:

frankokomando
13th Apr 2012, 5:46 PM
I just watched a 8 minute clip of the movie "Threads" and it was depressing as hell. :|

DigitalSympathies
16th Apr 2012, 10:11 AM
5 Centimetres Per Second. OMFG.

LostWitness
15th May 2012, 2:52 PM
Titanic.
That was the best film i saw.
I can't stop crying at Rose losing Jack then throwing away her precious gem for Jack...

paksetti
15th May 2012, 7:26 PM
Mary and Max,

Just, most of the film.

Lady_Chaos
16th May 2012, 1:07 AM
Twilight

It made me sad that some people actually like it.

I saw this... and laughed really loudly. I hope my mom didn't hear me :blink: (she likes twilight :wtf:)

VerDeTerre
26th May 2012, 4:33 AM
Mary and Max,

Just, most of the film.

Mary and Max was sad and so very odd! It stayed with me.

kateisl33t
26th May 2012, 5:03 AM
Hotel Rwanda :(

Alan_Gast
26th May 2012, 12:46 PM
Some good, sad films in this thread. Dancer in the Dark with Björk is also an extremely sad film, but if you don't like Björk's music you might not appreciate it.

I totally agree, I mean, talk about painful to watch! :cry:

lightmoon.93
28th May 2012, 5:20 PM
I love Seven Pounds =( so so sad ='(