PDA

View Full Version : Texture not sticking to new Neighbourhood object

delonariel
24th Feb 2012, 9:36 AM
I've been working on a project to convert some rabbitholes from TS3 into neighbourhood decorations. I started with the marine science lab, and so far it shows up in the game perfectly except that it doesn't recognize the texture and just shows up as white.

I've cloned a boulder and changed the mesh, texture, name and added a new GUID to the XNGB. There aren't a lot of tutorials out there for neighbourhood decorations. I did a search for something related to missing textures but couldn't find anything, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Psychosim
5th Mar 2012, 2:21 PM
The mapping of the mesh seems to be messed up. When I look at it in Wings3D it appears to be only one pixel in the corner. You could go the long road and redo the mapping, but I assume something got borked in the converting process and there's still hope. CuriousB (http://curiousb.livejournal.com/) has converted TS3 hood deco in the past, if anyone can help you it's her. :) Around here she's Bagfran (http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=436079).
I look forward to this! :)

delonariel
16th Mar 2012, 7:59 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try to get a hold of her. It might very well be a mapping problem since I usually only convert TS3 objects that are mapped and ready to go, but I had to do some tweaking with the mesh on this one ^^

Bagfran
2nd May 2012, 2:10 PM
I'm sorry for the slow response to your PM! (I hope you finally got my reply?)

Anyway, I've taken a look at the mesh, and Psychosim is right: there is something very wrong with the mapping, and I think the only thing you can do is to remap it from scratch, or maybe try one of the other TS3 models for the building; there should be one that is fairly low poly and exactly the right size, so it shouldn't need any resizing in Milkshape (I think the name of the correct extracted file will begin with S3_01661233).

However, when I converted the other TS3 rabbitholes I had to do a lot of work on the mapping, as for many of them it was completely screwed up (and in fact I abandoned converting the base-game science facility building as it was such a mess in so many ways), so you will probably still need to tweak the mapping for it to look right.

Something else I have noticed in Milkshape is that the smoothing of the mesh has gone wrong too, which is why in both Milkshape and in game there are unsightly dark shadows - it has been smoothed as if it were a single rounded shape, which obviously doesn't work and looks weird on a mesh composed of several square boxes! To fix this, do the following:

1) Select the parts you wish to have flat-shaded (i.e. the whole model in this case)
2) With "Auto Smooth" selected on the Groups tab, unweld the selection (Vertex>Unweld)
3) Uncheck "Auto Smooth" and re-weld (Vertex>Weld Together)

Finally, something you need to do in SimPE when cloning a boulder is to delete the bump map TXTR and the references to this in the TXMT. If you compare my version of the package (attached below) with yours hopefully you'll see the changes I have made. :)

You might also want to edit the XML, so that the building can be placed within lots and on roads (change the values for allowedinlot and allowedonroad to 0x00000001). I haven't done this in your file, as really it's down to personal choice (I just hate the game restricting where I can put things, so I always make these two changes in any 'hood deco I make).

I hope all this helps!

delonariel
7th May 2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you so much for the advice! Since I only really got into object creating in order to convert TS3 objects I never got a lot of experience working with Milkshape. I really can't begin to tell you how helpful this is and how excited I am to put this information to use. :giggler:

I did some fiddling around earlier and also came to the conclusion that I might have to re-map the whole texture, but I couldn't get the smoothing of the mesh right. I'm very relieved to hear that some of the rabbitholes have easier meshes to work with lol. I basically started with the smallest MLOD file and stretched it since the larger files were much too detailed, but I'll try to find the correct meshes now.

It might take me a while, but I hope I'll finally be able to get this project off the ground now and eventually have some new neighbourhood buildings to share :)

Bagfran
14th May 2012, 11:49 AM
Good luck! If you need any more help (such as with the mesh smoothing), just let me know. :)

BloomsBase
15th May 2012, 8:02 PM
Are you sure you want to try this?
This is a huge meshfile.....
Anyway, you shouldn't continue with your existing files, both s3asc and WSO exporter srew up the uvmapping and remapping them is ridiculous as ther are more then 20 texture files and 27 meshgroups.

I have the undamaged files if you want them but if you want to do it yourself then:
Use TSRW 2.024(but this also might work with the latest version) except extracting the textures doesn't work(bug in TSRW)
look up the marinebase and clone it(i couldn't find it in TSRW so i cloned it with s3OC)
I imported the file as new project/package(ignore the error.)
In the meshtab you find the high and low lod meshfile
export them as OBJ files, this will give a you a undamaged mesh.
I extracted all textures with TSRW, you best rename them to the meshgroup they are in, saves you tons of work.

Make sure you do not have autosmooth on when importing the OBJ files in Milkshape.

Edit,
Here is the file, unzip with 7zip
browse the folder , double click marinebase.ms3d
Believe me, it will save you tons of work :)

delonariel
23rd May 2012, 9:26 AM
Hey, sorry I didn't notice there had been another reply to the thread. Thank you for the suggestions, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

I use s3OC for extracting ts3 objects, and then s3pe to find the texture and MLOD/MODL files I need. That's just the way I taught myself by following a creating for TS3 guide backwards. I don't know what s3asc and WSO exporter are, or TSRW for that matter, I'm afraid.

I usually use the largest MLOD file when converting objects, but now that Bagfran explained it, I found that the MODL file is the correct size so in this case I'm not using the MLODs. The largest MLOD file for the rabbit holes are way too detailed and they're size of the actual life-sized rabbithole in ts3.

I think the problem with the texture not sticking was due to the "smoothed" mesh, and now that that is fixed, I assumed that it's just a matter of mapping the object properly? I do have all the texture files that I've extracted with s3pe already.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but I'm a bit confused :lol:

BloomsBase
24th May 2012, 12:25 AM
The tools you used earlier had a bug in it, wich caused messed uvmaps on those meshparts who exceed the uvmap.(their coordinates)
Redownload the meshhelper for s3PE and export the mesh again. then the texture should fit.

delonariel
27th May 2012, 9:31 AM
Ok, now I got it ^^. Thank you so much, I'm downloading the addon right now.

EDIT: Success! By combining the advice you guys have given me, I've finally gotten the hang of how to do this, and turns out it was super easy after you guys explained it. I managed to convert the science labs from Late Night and Ambitions, and I've started working on a bunch of other Rabbitholes. Thank you so much, everyone. It always astonishes me how amazingly helpful and patient the people here are. :)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/delonariel/for%20downloads/snapshot_00000005_dcce5cbc.jpg