PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy genre

vhanster
6th Jan 2012, 2:47 PM
The fantasy genre, as anyone should know, is very broad and comprises many sub-genres. Of these so-called sub-genres, which one is your favorite?

SimsLover50
7th Jan 2012, 12:44 AM
I like both sci-fi and urban fantasy. REally like both.

Lady_Chaos
7th Jan 2012, 1:28 AM
High/ Epic Fantasy is like the whole Fairies, Elves and Dragons (naming very general things here) type right? If so, then that's mine :D

Okay, looked at the below post and noticed I was right. High/ Epic Fantasy is my fave. Mostly cause I like the idea of there being other creatures besides the ones we know (dragons: wouldn't that be an epic pet/ companion familiar? "Oh yeah, I remember him, he was the kid who threatened me with a gun that one time. GO GET HIM FLUFFY!!!")

malfoya
7th Jan 2012, 1:33 AM
I accidentally picked historical fantasy, but my favourite has to be epic/high fantasy as I'm a HUGE LOTR fan. There's no better book in this world :) I love elves, dragons.. aswell as vampires (not twilight that much), huge gothic castles, Dracula, witches.. you name it.

RoseCity
7th Jan 2012, 2:32 AM
I'm the one who voted for sci fi - I first got into the Robert Heinlein books like Door Into Summer, Methuselah's Children and Orphans of the Sky. Then Samuel Delany and Philip K Dick. Can't forget Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling. Someone I like a lot now is Alastair Reynolds - House of Suns is my favorite of his books, also Revelation Space. Also Vernor Vinge, especially A Deepness in the Sky, and Octavia Butler. There are so many great sci fi short stories - one of my favorites is Think Like a Dinosaur by James Patrick Kelly.

vhanster
8th Jan 2012, 6:01 AM
I accidentally picked historical fantasy, but my favourite has to be epic/high fantasy as I'm a HUGE LOTR fan. There's no better book in this world :) I love elves, dragons.. aswell as vampires (not twilight that much), huge gothic castles, Dracula, witches.. you name it.

Eh. So that's a +1 for the 'Epic/high fantasy' and a -1 for the historical fantasy? :P

malfoya
8th Jan 2012, 12:03 PM
Eh. So that's a +1 for the 'Epic/high fantasy' and a -1 for the historical fantasy? :P

Yeah :)

Yazoo
9th Jan 2012, 8:33 AM
I chose Epic/High fantasy, because I have this sick obsession with Vampires and Werewolves o.o! And among other things. But I can't help it...

And I am like squealing because UNDERWORLD 4 COMES OUT THIS MONTH! >.> So, see obsession with Vampires has taken me over o.O