PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Least Favorite movie remakes

leo06girl
18th Jul 2011, 5:02 AM
What are your favorite and least favorite movie remakes? You can include television shows if you want. Are you excited about any upcoming remakes?

Favorite:
Halloween. I loved Rob Zombie's version, at least the first one anyway.

Least Favorites:
Freaky Friday
The Parent Trap.
Neither remake was even close to as good as the original.

I read they are remaking Total Recall and Commando. I think they should just leave them alone. Commando has been my favorite movie for almost my whole life, so of course I think it's perfect the way it is.

Synthesis
18th Jul 2011, 7:07 AM
I recently saw the remake of The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three. It wasn't that bad, but it convinced me to rewatch the original 1974 film, with Walter Montheau and Jerry Stiller....an outstanding comedic drama.

ChloroformDreams
18th Jul 2011, 8:02 AM
I actually really enjoyed the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. I can't seem to think of any least favourites at the moment.

Clashfan
18th Jul 2011, 8:25 PM
I tend to think remakes are more successful if they are remaking a foreign, low budget or obscure film. Where they really start to get into trouble is when they mess with iconic films they are iconic for a reason. They don't need to be remade as they stand the test of time and will continue to be enjoyable into the future. Then of course there are the movies that get remade every 10 to 15 years because the stories themselves are classics and every generation has it's go at telling the story.

Favorites:
3:10 to Yuma
The Departed
Magnificent Seven

Least Favorites:
Miracle on 34th Street-the original is my favorite holiday film, the remake lacks the magic and charm of the original not to mention the acting talent.

The Women- the original premise is so time specific in terms of women's enlightenment and equal rights it was idiotic to even try to give it a modern setting. Plus the original cast is literally a whose who of iconic 30's movie actresses that the current cast could not possible live up to.

Psycho- why anyone ever thought this was a good idea I can't imagine. Not only was it stupid to spend the money to remake a classic but they literally did it shot for shot. You might as well repaint the Mona Lisa, sure your picture will look newer but it will never be anything but an imitation of the original done by a lesser artist.

Currently they are remaking one of my all time favorite movies "The Thin Man". I'm completely appalled by the thought as it is a product of it's times and the reason it's such a classic are it's two leads William Powell and Myrna Loy. The story itself, while certainly fun is nothing to the on screen chemistry between the two leads. Sort of like remaking "The Maltese Falcon" or worse "Casablanca" without Humphrey Bogart or Ingrid Bergman.

Then again if your not a film buff and don't care for the old classics perhaps you wouldn't mind the remakes. I'll get down off my soapbox now, this is a subject I can get a bit too passionate about.

SuperWeegee64
18th Jul 2011, 8:32 PM
Least Favorites:
Miracle on 34th Street-the original is my favorite holiday film, the remake lacks the magic and charm of the original not to mention the acting talent.

Actually it was pretty good... but yes it did lack some stuff, sadly.

ChloroformDreams
18th Jul 2011, 8:39 PM
They redid Psycho?! That's just dumb. Classics are classics for a reason, and newer isn't always better.

Clashfan
18th Jul 2011, 9:06 PM
They redid Psycho?! That's just dumb. Classics are classics for a reason, and newer isn't always better.

Yep and spent big bucks to do it. It literally killed Guv Van Sant's directing career as it was his pet project all the way. Not surprised you didn't hear about it as it was a major bomb. They could have just restored and re-released the original and have made more money.

leo06girl
19th Jul 2011, 1:35 AM
I've only seen a small clip of the Psycho remake, didn't Vince Vaughn play the lead?

I also think they should leave classics or iconic films ALONE!

MalcomSteve
20th Jul 2011, 11:58 AM
The last movie was the wall street 2010.That was the awesome movie which clearly describes the human nature for money.You must watch.
Kodak EasyShare M200 (http://digitalcameradayreview.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Mini-M200-Digital-Camera-Red-Review)

Julieryc
20th Jul 2011, 12:35 PM
The first remake that comes to mind is a "least favorite" - the American version of Shall We Dance with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. The original is a Japanese movie that I remember as being really cute and a fun watch (I only had it on VHS, so I haven't seen it in a while), but the American version was all Hollywoodized and bland.

Clashfan
20th Jul 2011, 1:38 PM
The first remake that comes to mind is a "least favorite" - the American version of Shall We Dance with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. The original is a Japanese movie that I remember as being really cute and a fun watch (I only had it on VHS, so I haven't seen it in a while), but the American version was all Hollywoodized and bland.

I didn't realize that was a remake, it certainly isn't a good movie.

Another along these lines for me is "City of Angels" with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. I know a lot of people actually liked it and it did fairly well at the box office and spawned a hug hit song for the Goo Goo Dolls. Actually I like the song more than the movie.

For me though the original German art film "Wings of Desire" was just so beautiful and poetic it was a shame they redid it. Took it from a beautiful work of art and made it into a rather bland looking and average film.

leo06girl
20th Jul 2011, 8:24 PM
I didn't know Shall We Dance was a remake either, but I never liked it. I only saw it once, and had no desire to see it again.

I've never even seen City of Angels.

Julieryc
20th Jul 2011, 8:52 PM
I've seen the Nic Cage/Meg Ryan City of Angels, but didn't know that was a remake. I remember it as being hours of being bored followed by a general feeling of, "Well, glad that's over." I do like the Goo Goo Dolls' song that came out of it, though.

leo06girl
20th Jul 2011, 11:25 PM
What Goo Goo Dolls' song is everyone talking about?

Julieryc
21st Jul 2011, 1:53 AM
"Iris" is the song from City of Angels, off the album Dizzy Up the Girl (probably the best album the Goo Goo Dolls have put out, imho, came out around 1998.) It's the one with the chorus "And I don't want the world to see me/'cause I don't think that they'd understand/When everything's made to be broken/I just want you to know who I am."

leo06girl
21st Jul 2011, 4:01 AM
Okay, I know what everyone's talking about now.