PDA

View Full Version : Thundercats, HOOOO!

Segagrey
16th Jul 2011, 6:52 PM
On July 29, Cartoon Network will host an hour long premiere for a very old, new friend: The Thundercats. Not caught up on the buzz around it? Check out this (http://slices-of-life.com/2011/03/02/thundercats-characters-hoooo-old-and-new/) article.

So my question to you is: What do you think of this 80s/90s revival craze? Like it? Love it? Hate it? Loathe it? Is it the work of those dang hipsters?

Rawra
16th Jul 2011, 7:58 PM
I have three words to say: I want Courage.

TRIriana
16th Jul 2011, 8:00 PM
It sounded great, until I saw the pictures. It's Thundercats not Thunderchibi. x_x

offlewilde
18th Jul 2011, 4:37 AM
I loved this show! I vote yes to bring it back.

leo06girl
18th Jul 2011, 4:58 AM
I loved the show, but the remake is going to be BAD.

Segagrey
18th Jul 2011, 5:08 AM
I loved the show, but the remake is going to be BAD.
Hmm I dunno. It's being produced by Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, The Looney Tunes Show) and Ethan Spaulding (Avatar: The Last Airbender) it's in somewhat decent hands with Studio 4C(The Animatrix)...so if it flops, it won't be due to quality at least.

leo06girl
18th Jul 2011, 5:34 AM
Out of all of those shows you mentioned Segagrey, Looney Tunes is the ONLY one I like. I never heard of The Animatrix.

If they want to bring back Thundercats, they should just re-air the original show instead of remaking.

Segagrey
18th Jul 2011, 6:51 AM
Well hey, there's millions upon millions that love Teen Titans, Ben 10 and Avatar: The last airbender (myself included, Ben 10 excluded). The Animatrix was a better than average short story compilation, produced to accompany/and cash in on the Matrix trilogy's success. Studio 4C itself has produced a string of acclaimed, but not very well known films.

They do air the original...it's currently on it's sister network Boomerang. But it definitely shows it's age, hence the whole desire for a remake. I don't have trouble with it personally, as long as it respects it's source material...It looks like their trying to hit the same Young Justice crowd, so it's safe to say it's going to be a bit darker and "grown-up"(as grown-up as a show on a children's network can be, for that matter.) In any case, the producers have "pledged to be faithful to the original", so we'll see.

Shoosh Malooka
18th Jul 2011, 10:48 AM
You can't hand a title over to another maker and expect the spirit of Thundercats to survive. There will be no nostalgia to be had, I expect a cringing audience.

ThomasRiordan
18th Jul 2011, 3:12 PM
You can't hand a title over to another maker and expect the spirit of Thundercats to survive. There will be no nostalgia to be had, I expect a cringing audience.

I cringed when I saw the renders for Wily Kit and Wily Kat. They look like really bad rejects from an RPG on the Wii. I was willing to give it a try until I saw how they ruined my favorite characters as a kid.

leo06girl
18th Jul 2011, 6:26 PM
Well hey, there's millions upon millions that love Teen Titans, Ben 10 and Avatar: The last airbender (myself included, Ben 10 excluded). The Animatrix was a better than average short story compilation, produced to accompany/and cash in on the Matrix trilogy's success. Studio 4C itself has produced a string of acclaimed, but not very well known films.

They do air the original...it's currently on it's sister network Boomerang. But it definitely shows it's age, hence the whole desire for a remake. I don't have trouble with it personally, as long as it respects it's source material...It looks like their trying to hit the same Young Justice crowd, so it's safe to say it's going to be a bit darker and "grown-up"(as grown-up as a show on a children's network can be, for that matter.) In any case, the producers have "pledged to be faithful to the original", so we'll see.

If they're going to make it more grown up, I really hope they don't make it like the crap on Adult Swim.

There are VERY FEW remakes of anything that are any good. IMO they just need to leaves shows/movies alone and come up with something new if possible.

Shoosh Malooka
19th Jul 2011, 3:29 AM
See Inspector Gadget (1999) to understand why re-imagining an iconic cartoon shouldn't be done. Wasn't there supposed to be a Smurfs movie coming up in 2011. The last I saw of it was a claymation test promo set to hip hop.

Yeah, back to Thundercats. What have they got in store for us. Is Lion-O going to spit phrases like 'kthxbai!' to send the message that he's hip? Is he going to send a shout out to his bro, Panthro? And why does he look exactly like a feral Link from The Legend of Zelda? Check out that recon combat armor that Tigra is wearing, he is supposed to be the brains of the group and now he is a special forces unit with a plasma pistol. I see where this is going:

Lion-O is Robin with Aladdin's Disney personality, Panthro is Cyborg, Chee-tara is Starfire, Tigra is Raven Masterchief, and Snarf is Pikasnarf. There is no revival here, it is stealing original material and mangling it with personalities that Adult Swim thinks the audience will like.

leo06girl
19th Jul 2011, 4:42 AM
Smurfs is due out in August I think, I have started seeing the previews.

I loved the original Inspector Gadget!

If you're right Shoosh Malooka, Thundercats remake is going to be a lot worse than I thought. I hate Adult Swim.

Segagrey
19th Jul 2011, 11:29 AM
o.o Adult Swim has nothing to do with the show, as far as I know.

The previews for the The Smurfs movie have been extremely off-putting in my opinion. I hope it flops...then at least it'll be saved from the unholy whoring Hollywood will most certainly dive into if it's a success. Disagree? 4 words: Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Taken from Wiki:
"The show will explain Lion-O's ascension to the Thunderean throne with a more original feel and darker style than the 1980s series."

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yevav-RcUfQ
Yea, sound's about right.

SimsLover50
19th Jul 2011, 10:49 PM
I used to really love the thundercats. Cheetara was my favorite character. But Do they ever grow up? I mean, lion-o was all of 13 in a grown man's body, and wily-kit and cat were like his age. Plus, weren't there some new characters introuced towards the end... I remember a silver tiger character. Snarf was seriously annoyin.

I was reading on amazon.com a reboot of the comic which tried to be edgy and dark and they had cheetara held captive by mumra and all the characters much more...edgy.

leo06girl
19th Jul 2011, 10:54 PM
Telling the backstory might be okay, but I don't really care for it being darker.

paksetti
20th Jul 2011, 11:55 PM
Who says remakes have to suck just because they're remakes? Don't shoot me for this but...

...ponies.

I don't think I'll like this just because I don't really care for the Thundercats, but if Sam Register is going to be a part of it, it sound like it will at least be a quality show.

leo06girl
21st Jul 2011, 6:44 PM
I don't think all remakes suck. I will admit they're are only two remake movies I like as remakes. There are others I would like as stand alone movies, but that suck as remakes. If that makes any sense.

Segagrey
30th Jul 2011, 7:17 AM
Well...After watching it twice, I can honestly say: It's wasn't that bad. I expected something quite worse, with the whole hype Cartoon Network was trying to build around it. No, it's not the original, in fact, it's quite far from it. It's got a layer of visual sophistication, given it's increased production quality....that alone separates it. Story wise? it couldn't be more cliche...But I don't think anyone was expecting it to break any new ground in that direction. The characters however, somewhat steal the show, both in a good and bad sense. Lion-O, voiced by Will Friedle (of Batman Beyond and Kim Possible fame), is young and often overly compassionate. He's far from his strong, charismatic precursor. Tygra, voiced by Matthew Mercer (of negligable fame, who manages to occasionally give some cringy delivery. Well, to me anyway.), is now his sarcastic adoptive brother. Cheetara, is now a noble cleric, and hasn't really changed as much. Pantho? well...You'll just have to watch the somewhat clever twist involving him. WilyKit and WilyKat played a somewhat irrelevant role...aside from offering calm and humor from the action. Snark? I thought he'd be more annoying, but I actually liked the muted little guy.

All in all? It was alright. It wasn't a disgrace to the name of ThunderCats. In fact, it was actually a pretty good service to it, considering how wrong it could have gone.