PDA

View Full Version : My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

leo06girl
10th Jul 2011, 6:43 AM
Has anyone watched this? What are your thoughts?

I did watch at at first and have quit. I find it sickening that there are men who still treat women like this and women who allow themselves to be treated like this. I have read somewhere that this show does not depict "real" gypsies and travelers though.

el_flel
10th Jul 2011, 9:17 AM
I've watched it. You are correct that it doesn't depict the majority of travellers. The ones the documentary follows are a fairly small proportion.

TBF, for the most part the women aren't treated badly - they're not abused, for example - but they are oppressed in a way that is really out of touch with modern society.

tallyb
10th Jul 2011, 9:28 AM
I watched it too but also found it sickening, especially the episode that showed 'grabbing' which looks more like assault than an act of courtship.

I don't know how true this behaviour is of travellers generally, but this certainly isn't typical of the Romany life. I have Romany relatives and they are polite, decent and hard working. Older women do tend to be quite traditional, but younger ones go to school, have jobs and make choices about their lives - the same as other women of their generation. I'm guessing the producers deliberately sought out the worst behaved people because they believe it makes for better television.