PDA

View Full Version : Notice of Extended Downtime for MTS starting 24th June

Tashiketh
19th Jun 2011, 9:03 AM
Hi All,

At the end of this week (24th June), I will be bringing down Mod The Sims for at least 2 - 3 days. This means no downloads, no uploads, no forums, nothing. :) The reason? I need to restructure and re-do the backend servers, and generally clean up some old legacy things that have been on my to-do list a while. At the end, we'll be on shinier hardware with much better specs than the current ones.

Please note that while I will be providing updates via my twitter account (http://twitter.com/DelphyMTS) I will not be answering questions about when the site is back.

Please also note that 2-3 days is an estimate. It might be less, it might be more. I'll provide details once I know them.

Thanks for your future understanding!

missroxor
19th Jun 2011, 9:08 AM
Nooooo! Sad as I am I've been checking here every day of late....I'll be tearing my hair out after 2 days never mind 3+ days!

*sigh* ....I suppose shiny hardware with improved specs and therefore better MTS are worth it....JUST ;)

PS thanks for doin the work :p

cupcake12winx
19th Jun 2011, 9:11 AM
Wow, no Mod for 3 days?! If it helps the site, I don't mind. Good luck, Delphy!

daluved1
19th Jun 2011, 10:04 AM
Oh nooooo :( Will the chat be down, too?

LadyAwesome
19th Jun 2011, 11:21 AM
Oh god. . . . not chat >.< please.

TVRdesigns
19th Jun 2011, 11:33 AM
/me does dramatic gasp at the thought of no chat.

meriel
19th Jun 2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :) And good luck.

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jun 2011, 11:42 AM
WHEN WILL THE SITE BE BACK UP OMG!!!! I NEED TO DOWNLOAD THOSE THINGS RIGHT NOW!!! It is IMPORTANT!!!

... oh wait, it's not down yet. Panic averted... for now.

chasmchronicle
19th Jun 2011, 12:18 PM
Oh no! D: I am going to die!.. *hyperventilates*

RainbowDash
19th Jun 2011, 12:25 PM
Gonna die; 20 seconds flat O<O

ngluvjj
19th Jun 2011, 1:02 PM
*dies* starting 24th June

green thumbers revive me when it's coming back

leefish
19th Jun 2011, 1:04 PM
HOLIDAY!!! yay - whoo- etc....

but bah, no downloads. :(

(reads PM from Delphy..... OMG - I'll be scrubbing the modding forums? Awwww)

But seriously - it is better, I think, to be offline for a couple of days and let you just work on the site rather than trying to keep it running and the site be glitchy as a result.

Nysha
19th Jun 2011, 2:06 PM
Man, downtime on my birthday? You a bitch, D!

(Manning the mod queue and deleting spam on my birthday is exactly what any girl wants, right??)

Inge Jones
19th Jun 2011, 2:08 PM
If chat does have to be down, refugees are welcome at my chat. Link to site in signature. You need to be registered to see the chat option.

ellacharmed
19th Jun 2011, 2:39 PM
simswiki, too?

2-3 days vacation? I'll take it! :)

simsample
19th Jun 2011, 3:13 PM
WHAT? Does this mean I'll have to actually talk to the people I live with instead? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Quick, all pile over to Inge's place! :lol:

G.O.C.
19th Jun 2011, 4:15 PM
TALK, TALK!! What the hell is that? Is it the same as eating???

Nysha
19th Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
Chat won't be down - it's hosted on entirely separate servers that won't be touched. The wiki and SXS will, I believe, be down.

d_dgjdhh
19th Jun 2011, 5:44 PM
So, what type of restructuring is gonna be happening? Like restrusturing the layout?

There's this Quick Menu on the left side that sometimes blocks the area for Serach "The Sims 2" and "All Sections" button on the downloads box
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4421/winsracp1.png

...and seems to stay there when scrolling.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7540/winsracp2.png

Is that one of the things that'll be fixed?

CinderEmma
19th Jun 2011, 6:40 PM
Seriously, this would be my first day of vacation! *grumbles*

But I GUESS I'll just actually have to play Sims 3 while I wait for the site to come back :P

Thranduil Oropherion
19th Jun 2011, 6:54 PM
omg that means I'll have to .......... go outside! <<< *hates the outdoors moodlet*

Phaenoh
19th Jun 2011, 6:59 PM
The site will be back up before June Fitness closes out right? Imma need to go download copies of all my favorite tutorials before they go offline.

Tashiketh
19th Jun 2011, 7:01 PM
Man, downtime on my birthday? You a bitch, D!

(Manning the mod queue and deleting spam on my birthday is exactly what any girl wants, right??)

Consider this a birthday present then. ;)

Also, to kayla and others: No the chat wont be down.

@ellacharm3d: Yes, simswiki too. Oh and sexysims.

Tashiketh
19th Jun 2011, 7:04 PM
So, what type of restructuring is gonna be happening? Like restrusturing the layout?

There's this Quick Menu on the left side that sometimes blocks the area for Serach "The Sims 2" and "All Sections" button on the downloads box

Is that one of the things that'll be fixed?

I have no plans to change the layouts, but knowing me I probably will. :)

armiel
19th Jun 2011, 9:12 PM
Woo, holidays just in time for the biggest Finnish "drinking up fest" the (midsummerfest, St John's Eve) :D

Poor you who have to bear me at chat at that time!
/me woo's for the chat staying up and goes doing something very modly and mature.

AdonisPluto
19th Jun 2011, 10:58 PM
This is firing squad.What will I do for three days. Okay go hunting for lions in the forest to tone down my anger of not modding for 3 or more days.

Purplepaws
19th Jun 2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for letting us know, and for your diligence in keeping this site so well-maintained. :up:

rcranger9
19th Jun 2011, 11:35 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! What will I do for hours on end without the forums?

Tashiketh
20th Jun 2011, 10:41 AM
rcranger9: There's this thing called "under the big yellow orb" (aka outside). ;)

Inge Jones
20th Jun 2011, 12:37 PM
Hmm not sure I'd want to drag my heavy desk and computer outside, so there's no real reason to go out there...

crinrict
20th Jun 2011, 4:54 PM
Thanks for letting everyone know.

Good luck with everything

haricots
20th Jun 2011, 5:30 PM
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N ON ONO NO N ON O NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO O NO N ON O NO N ON O NO ON ONO N ON O O NO N NON NO!!!

This site goes down....temporarily...

THen I'll die...temporarily...

*How many mistakes I made in this post?

Johnny_Bravo
20th Jun 2011, 9:01 PM
Whiterider I know how you feel, I also have my birthday at the weekend D:

Tashiketh
20th Jun 2011, 9:32 PM
Well, lets hope it doesn't take 4 days, else I'll me doing this stuff on my birthday too. :P

BrEaKsYsTeM
21st Jun 2011, 1:50 AM
:beer: This neurotic Sim needs to go check the sink right now. :(

Happy Early Birthday Delphi.

Artimis
21st Jun 2011, 8:46 AM
will this affect downloads or any recent posts atall?

monosagrado
21st Jun 2011, 10:16 AM
Oh my good!
I have got a developer question... Also change the schedule? Have you got programming knowledge? I have (mmm... or had :| ) programming knowledge... If you want a developing assistant, I can help you ;)
PS:
:alarm: I have got a problem! :alarm:
When I join the chat... there's that error! I use firefox...
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/ideasmts/errorMTS.png
Please, help!!!
:help: :help: :help:
I can join the fabulous chat :cry:

monosagrado
21st Jun 2011, 10:41 AM
Oh my good!
I have got a developer question... Also change the schedule? Have you got programming knowledge? I have (mmm... or had :| ) programming knowledge... If you want a developing assistant, I can help you ;)
PS:
:alarm: I have got a problem! :alarm:
When I join the chat... there's that error! I use firefox...
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/ideasmts/errorMTS.png
Please, help!!!
:help: :help: :help:
I can join the fabulous chat :cry:
:new: Problem solved! :new:
Java problems..

Tashiketh
21st Jun 2011, 11:30 AM
monosagrado, What do you mean have I got programming knowledge? Of course I do, I coded the site... :)

EleanorElephante
21st Jun 2011, 6:34 PM
At least you give warning~ ;)

LadyAwesome
21st Jun 2011, 11:31 PM
YAY Thanks Delphy! Don't know what I would do without chat for my weekend off >.< ehehehe. Good luck with maintenance.

porkypine
22nd Jun 2011, 3:54 AM
Good thing I saw this now. I had plans this weekend to finish and upload the stuff I've been working on for June fitness. So it's good to know not to bother all weekend. Oh well. I'll have more time to make stuff and perfect it.

FranH
22nd Jun 2011, 11:36 AM
Oh, my god..what am I gonna do for 3 days without it? (faints dead away)

If you really want a challenge though, Delphy, you could come over to our place (RYG) and help Lisa rebuild our site-I'm sure that she'd love to have the help, and that you don't want to be totally bored! :rofl: (We're running vbul, too)

Damocles
22nd Jun 2011, 12:52 PM
Great, this is forcing me to spend time with my twelve children. Thanks a lot, "Delphy".

Oh, and the answers to your questions is: yes, I'm Irish Catholic, and no, I don't hate them, and by 'hate' I mean 'love'. I think I forgot to take my medication...

Tashiketh
22nd Jun 2011, 4:16 PM
FranH: I have precious little time as it is, and the only reason I'm doing this now is becuase I have next week booked off from work... So, yes, I'm using my vacation time to work on the site. :)

Also, I have no idea what RYG is.

Lady_Chaos
22nd Jun 2011, 9:26 PM
NO!!!! Well, at least I won't be at the internet place then. Possibly. If so, I wouldn't be able to get on anyways, so for me, it's not that big of a deal. Plus stuff getting cleaned up... Maybe I won't have a stroke.

Arisuka
22nd Jun 2011, 10:13 PM
Niiice, time to get drunk and go out to see some great bands! Just like Armi said, just in time for the biggest drinking celebration for the Finns! WOOOO! *opens the cans, bottles and canisters*

LadyVampyreMiya
22nd Jun 2011, 10:51 PM
Dammit! I've only just got my Sims 2 working to a point where I can actually install custom content without it immediately crashing :faceslap:
Ah well, hopefully when it comes back it'll be even more super shiny! :bunny:

Hope everything goes according to plan!

FranH
22nd Jun 2011, 11:53 PM
Sorry, I always shorten the site name to the initials: Reclaim Your Game-home of the fearless investigators/evaluators of game DRM and battlers of SecuROM. :D
I'm an admin there.

theAman
23rd Jun 2011, 12:38 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
At least I wont be affected. Im going to be at OBX without the sweet interwebs anyway so I'm fine. also Delphy I'v noticed that the site has been slower over the past few weeks, gonna fix that?

Nysha
23rd Jun 2011, 1:05 AM
The site has been getting steadily faster over the last months... badger your ISP, perhaps? ;)

topp
23rd Jun 2011, 9:05 AM
No. It cannot be. No!

Dude, I downloaded all the things I wanted to be in my game (seriously), but I'm just logging here everyday... for fun, I suppose?

Well, at least I'll be spending more time with my Sims...

>.<" Bring ModTheSims back soon, will ya? ;) Oh, and thanks for nodifying (I think I mispelled) us, though!

EDIT:

And I have a problem... since I want to upload something, I can't, because I get the message "Your IP adrress is banned." Hope you'll fix this, if you can! Good luck with the mainteance! :)

Selly_2009
23rd Jun 2011, 11:26 PM
I think seeing the downtime notification was what got me over my writers block, so while I'll miss the site this weekend, thanks Delphy! ;)

At least I've got stuff to do... like finishing the redecoration of my room, writing umpteen updates of my Sims story, maybe even *gasp* playing Sims!

And Happy Birthday to Whiterider and Delphy :beer:

Talismana
24th Jun 2011, 1:23 AM
...I was going to begin a project involving your downloads and was wondering if you had an (approximate) window of time you might take the site down? Midnight, morning, afternoon, etc?

If you've no idea that's fine (and I certainly wouldn't hold you to it) but it would be helpful to know (if you do) so I'd know whether it was worthwhile to begin or wait.

Thanks!

ClicknPsycho
24th Jun 2011, 7:50 AM
Thank you for whatever it is your going to do :) Not only will it sure to be needed, It will make me do something else for a few days at least :P
My only drawback is MTS is set as my home pages, so I am sure to get "MTS is currently down for maintenance" screen allot :)
Good Luck with cleanup and hope to see site back soon !