PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommand a tv Show ?

Bodhie
5th May 2011, 8:42 PM
ok , so I recently had a lot of times on my hand and since my Tv just broke I started watching old tv show online . It doesn't beat the couch for sure...but it is better then nothing .

I just finished watching Earth final Conflict which was recommanded by my roomate and I really liked it . I also watched the x-files and finished where I left it years ago .

Now , I'm looking for something else to watch . But since I'm picky , I'm gonna say what i'm looking for and if any show come in mind please let me know .

I don't hate space futuriste tv show like Andromeda but it really need to make sense , like in Earth final conflict the Alien called the Taelon well they just didn't bring them out of nowhere . There was a reason and it made sense as to why they were on earth and all .

Also no teenager tv show plz , I'm too old for them now lol

I wanted to watch Chicago Hope but can't find it online . I'm up for tv show like ER and such , unless it is real life thingy.....then no thanx .

Nothing scary also...can't stand scary stuff . No tv show about vampires , werwolf.....I love rpg but as long as it is a game....usualy when it goes on the screen it become a disaster or a pale imitation of what it should be .

Also don't tell me go watch Star Wars , I really only played the games cose they were RPG , never cared for the movies .

HystericalParoxysm
5th May 2011, 8:48 PM
Battlestar Galactica? Great sci-fi series.

Johnny_Bravo
5th May 2011, 9:05 PM
Scrubs, How I met your mother, Malcolm in the middle, CSI (you'll probaly see dead bodies) The Bill Cosby show (ohyea, a classic one, made before I was born :lol:)

gelis
5th May 2011, 9:42 PM
Yes, Scrubs! A great comedy show. I would also recommend The Big Bang theory and 30 rock. How I met your mother is good too, especially the later seasons.

If you like thiller, Medium is your show. Also Criminal Minds is a fine show also, the first seasons are good! Both shows have lot of dead bodies in them.

If you like a bit dirtier humour, you should check Californication or Little Britain.

If you feel like watching older shows, Sherlock Holmes is very good (that with Jeremy Brett) and Matlock. Married with children is a classic too.

Fraisier is a very funny show too.

el_flel
5th May 2011, 11:33 PM
Defiitely ER. I am totally obsessed with it right now. Also agreed with Scrubs, Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds and Medium as I love all of those.

Hmm you said no scary/supernatural stuff - which elimiates about 90% of my TV viewing! - but you've watched X-Files so I assume you're not totally opposed to that sort of thing.

- I'm really into Misfits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_%28TV_series%29) at the moment. It's a British comedy-drama series (as I am a Brit :)) which sounds shit when you explain it but it's really, really good. A group of young offenders get hit by a weird storm and develop superpowers. Their probation worker goes insane and tries to kill them, but they kill him before he gets the chance. They then try to make sure no one finds out about it whilst simultaneously adjusting to their new-found powers. Whilst many would use their powers for good, this bunch don't really do anything with theirs. It sounds teeny but it isn't; my 38 year old uncle and 31 year old boyfriend love it!

- Firefly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29). Uber awesome. Makes me want to cry every time I watch because I cannot understand why it got cancelled. It's a futuristic one but in a different way to a lot of shows. It follows a space crew of crooks in the year 2517 after humans have turned Earth barren and moved to a new star system. The two major super powers - USA and China - run the star system and so everything is a strange mix of the Orient and the Wild West. The two in charge fought together for the losing side of a battle and upon the battle ending bought a spaceship and are constantly trying to live outside the control of the side that won whilst avoiding Reavers - carniverous humans that kill on sight - , making money through smuggling or theft. They take on a crew, the most important of whom are a brother and sister who are on the run after the brother broke his sister out of a school that was experimenting on her and are now being pursued by law enforcement.

- Alias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29) is almost painfully addictive. Sydney works as a spy for what she thinks is the CIA but when she tells her fiancee what she does and her employers murder him, she finds out she's working for an enemy of the USA called SD-6 and so becomes a double-agent, working with the CIA to bring down SD-6. Every episode ends on a cliffhanger!

- Spaced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced) is another British comedy. Daisy and Tim meet whilst both looking for a flat. They see a great place advertised for a professional couple and because they want the place they lie to the landlady and pretend to be a couple so that she'll let it to them. It then just follows their lives. It's so, so funny.

- Bones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_%28TV_series%29) is about a forensic anthropologist and an FBI agent who team up to solve murders. But this isn't just another forensics show; it has really good character relationships.

Try "Watch Series"(website) for a place to watch these things. I've not checked but watchseries has pretty much everything so I'll be surprised if they're not on there.

gelis
6th May 2011, 12:05 AM
Sorry but this a bit off topic but I'm going nuts because I can't remember one name!

What was that tv show that was like earlier version of Lost? It was about a village where strange things happened.

It was made in the 80s or 90s.. I'm not sure.

This is so annoying

BeechWell2
6th May 2011, 4:05 PM
Veronica Mars: A kind of detective film noir teen drama. But don't let the teen drama part frighten you. It's really very good, with intelligent, deep and "adult" story lines.

Battlestar Galactica (reimagination): As already mentioned a fantastic military Sci-Fi drama; both great action and relevant social/political commentary.

Babylon 5: Also (for the most part) a great sci-fi series with well thought out overarching storylines.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Think what you may, this is still overall one of the best tv series ever. One needs to at least give it a try (although it only really gets into its own around halfway through season 2)

Firefly: I personally find it somewhat overrated, but it is still a very refreshing change from the typical Star Treck lilke Sci-Fi

Gilmore Girls: Ok, maybe this is more of a guilty pleasure of mine, but this is actually a very witty comedy/drama with interesting intergenerational/different social class dynamics. Does get increasingly stale from about season 5 though.

Bodhie
6th May 2011, 6:17 PM
Wow ! Thank you everyone :) I really appreciate it !

Battlestar Galactica? Great sci-fi series.

you are talking about the new one right ? not the old one that was cancelled ? I will take a look :) I must admit (and probably forgot to edit my post above) but I was more looking for something less sci-fi , cose kinda had my share with x-files and Earth final conflict and I'm not really big on the alien and spaceship lol But my friend second this choice...so I'm gonna see if it is any good , thank you :)

Malcolm in the middle, CSI (you'll probaly see dead bodies) The Bill Cosby show (ohyea, a classic one, made before I was born )

I don't like much CSI , not because of dead bodies lol but because it become repetetive and there are so many different CSI outta there . I did try to watch Law and crime :Sexual crimes (or something like that) and it was taking forever to load . I watched Malcolm in the middle , I really liked it . Their father remind me a bit of Daria Dad you know , always spazzing and stressing lol

Married with children is a classic too.

I remember that one , I actually always though that family guy was inspired from that show , but I doubt it was . (I hate family guy ) LOL

Defiitely ER. I am totally obsessed with it right now.

Maybe I will too :D I never finished the darn show and I hate not knowing what happen no matter how long the show ended .

but you've watched X-Files so I assume you're not totally opposed to that sort of thing.

Haha I skipped the gory and scary episodes lol but I was more interested in the humans conspiracy :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Think what you may, this is still overall one of the best tv series ever. One needs to at least give it a try (although it only really gets into its own around halfway through season 2)

lol I'm a big fan of TAra Maclay , so you can guess I watched the darn thing till season 6 and know the show by heart :lovestruc

Gilmore Girls: Ok, maybe this is more of a guilty pleasure of mine, but this is actually a very witty comedy/drama with interesting intergenerational/different social class dynamics. Does get increasingly stale from about season 5 though.

Ah yes Emily Gilmore , Richard and The Grand Mother , you gotta love that show :) I have the whole show all here . Thanx for the recommandation .

What about Voyager ? None mentioned that one , is it any good ?

el_flel
6th May 2011, 6:30 PM
Firefly: I personally find it somewhat overrated, but it is still a very refreshing change from the typical Star Treck lilke Sci-Fi.I had to watch it twice because I didn't really get it the first time and didn't understand the fuss. But second time around I really got into it.

PharaohHound
6th May 2011, 7:15 PM
What about Voyager ? None mentioned that one , is it any good ?

Voyager is basically typical Star Trek fare, I think it's quite good (it's my favourite Star Trek series). Have you ever watched any ST before?

Bodhie
6th May 2011, 9:05 PM
No , I never watched Star Trek . sure I've heard of Mr.Spoke but that's about it lol It wasn't running when I was born I think :)

Shoosh Malooka
6th May 2011, 10:05 PM
You might like Quantum Leap, but it twenty years old. Then there is The Office, it's not hilarious but it is entertaining. Are you in the mood for medieval Japan?

King of Zipangu.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Akinci1990#p/u/28/eX0UFcXa6nc

But Akinci1990 has not updated in over half a year, so you will have to import a set to see past episode 19.

How about Whose Line is it Anyway?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWk2W2lv1Q0

simneesee
7th May 2011, 11:05 AM
I only watch television shows online so I'll try to help! These are my favorite shows and all are on Netflix or Hulu- Modern Family, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Desperate Housewives, Wipeout!

Johnny_Bravo
7th May 2011, 1:23 PM
Gelis: You mean Eureka?

gelis
7th May 2011, 3:56 PM
Zandvoort: No, but thanks! When I search that show on IMDb I saw Twin Peaks' name, and Twin Peak is what I was looking for. Thanks!

unalisaa
7th May 2011, 4:43 PM
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyRSd-ii78) will tell you what show I'd recommend you watch.
I second Twin Peaks. It can be a little scary at times, but it's not horror, and it's not scary just to be scary. What you do get is offbeat comedy, fleshed-out characters, lots of mystery, and a really good score.

missroxor
7th May 2011, 7:39 PM
Misfits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_%28TV_series%29) at the moment. It's a British comedy-drama series (as I am a Brit :)) which sounds shit when you explain it but it's really, really good. A group of young offenders get hit by a weird storm and develop superpowers. Their probation worker goes insane and tries to kill them, but they kill him before he gets the chance. They then try to make sure no one finds out about it whilst simultaneously adjusting to their new-found powers. Whilst many would use their powers for good, this bunch don't really do anything with theirs. It sounds teeny but it isn't; my 38 year old uncle and 31 year old boyfriend love it!
This is the only thing I was gonna recommend but it's already been said. However, I would like to second that comment about it sounding shit and teeny when you try to explain it.... it's one of those ones you really have to see to appreciate it's awesomeness. I think it's the characters that really make it: they're not like pretty and popular teens you see on American tv shows, they're rough and common British council estate Y/As, there's a lot or gritty realism in amongst the fantasy and comedy. Give it a chance, at least watch the first episode :)

Bodhie
7th May 2011, 8:56 PM
You might like Quantum Leap, but it twenty years old.

I don't mind how old a show is , I was thinking of re-watching V the old show but not many episodes . Also there is ''The planet of the ape'' the old one , but the humans being slaves and all make me cringue and shy away... :|

Quantum Leap ? isn't that the one with that science guy who keep ending in differents world and has to fix the life in which he end up...? he got this guy who help him but he is an hologram ? I remember something like that :) Good show

Right now , I've decided to re-watch ER and hopefully have the time to see it all :D Go weaver ! :P

I'll check all the recommandation , can't whine about them without trying right ? :)

Give it a chance, at least watch the first episode

Haha isn't that how we end up hooked in the 1st place ? at least that's what happen , and before I knew it , I'm still waiting for the next episode of naruto.......lol

Anyway thanx everyone :)

iCad
7th May 2011, 9:10 PM
Hmmmm... I'm pretty much totally out of the loop when it comes current TV shows, as I haven't watched TV in more than 15 years. I have watched some more recent stuff on DVD, though. As a warning, I do tend to prefer sci-fi not really for the sci-fi-ness but because, IMO, sci-fi shows tend to have deeper characterization than most others, and since characterization is what floats my boat...Well, there we are. :) That, and crime shows like CSI tend to creep me out...although I do like "Bones," due to the characterization and the geek factor.

1) If you want to try a Star Trek show, I would recommend Deep Space Nine over Voyager (or any other; if you didn't grow up with the original show, as I did, it will seem hokey to you.) Mostly because, IMO, DS9 is the most "stand-alone" of the Trek shows, the most comprehensible without any frame of reference. The concept is in general different from the other Trek shows in that it's not set on a ship but on a space station, and so it is in general mostly focused on the socio-political affairs of a small (but massively critical) area of space rather than "exploring the galaxy." Also, the scenario gives it a lot of internal character conflict (It's not your typical shiny-happy Star Trek, for sure.), and IMO it's the least sci-fi-ish of all the shows because it IS more politically-focused. It doesn't get really good until the 3rd season, but you at least need to watch the first episode to get the general backstory. The whole thing is worth watching just for the (recurring, not regular) character named Garak, IMO. And all of the regulars are quite fascinating as well.

2) I really like Stargate SG-1. It's sci-fi, but it also mixes in (not entirely accurate but nicely fun) history in an odd sort of way. You don't have to see the original Stargate movie to understand it. It'll keep you occupied for a while since it ran for 10 seasons and starting in the 3rd-ish season it gets nicely serialized, so you always want to watch more to see what happens in the overall story line. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the 9th and 10th seasons, and like most sci-fi shows the first season is less-than-impressive (though it does have its moments), but it hit its stride more quickly than a lot of sci-fi I've met. Richard Dean Anderson's performance alone is worth the price of admission...which is one of the reasons why I'm not big on the last two seasons, since he's not in them. :) Maybe I should warn about nekkidness in the pilot, though; since it was originally on HBO, I think, it was allowed. But it's only in the pilot.

3) I'll...third?...Firefly. It only lasted for 14 episodes (plus a movie called "Serenity"), so it won't take you long to watch, but it's fabulous, especially from a character perspective. Unlike most sci-fi, it hit its stride from the first second. Every episode is golden, a fantastic mix of drama and humor and the sci-fi aspect is pretty much strictly secondary. The Fox Network was idiotic to sabotage this show like it did.

4) For something completely different (and not sci-fi), I watched a few seasons of Psych, renting it from Netflix, and it was a very fun mostly-comedy. About a guy who passes himself off as a psychic working for the police, even though he's really just a very observant person, not a psychic. I appreciate that it pokes fun at the whole psychic thing and at the same time the characterization is really good, which is rare for something that's mostly comedy.

5) Also not sci-fi: Monk. I love that show. About a very phobic/OCD ex-cop who solves crimes. It sounds kind of dumb "on paper," but the performances of everyone on the show is amazing.

6) For an oldie, I'd also recommend Quantum Leap. It has a sci-fi premise, but the focus really isn't the sci-fi but, often, social commentary. Or just flat-out silliness. Or sometimes musical theater. :lol: The premise was such that the writers could do just about anything, and they took full advantage of that over its five seasons.

7) And if you want something totally fun and campy with absolutely no brain required: The original Knight Rider from the early 80s. Because nothing beats a sarcastic talking car. :)

Miko09
7th May 2011, 9:50 PM
I am shocked and disgusted that no one has recommended Community yet lol. Best show ever! It's about a group of students who attend a study group at a community college and all the wacky thing that go on there. It's a really good ensemble cast where everyone works really well together. I like how simneesee skips right over the show even though it comes on the same night and same channel as The Office and Parks and Recreation! I suggest for anyone to give it a watch. I would say start at the beginning since it makes a lot of references to events that have happened earlier.

If you can get over the initial cheesiness and so-so acting, Power Rangers is a nice series to watch. *ducks from oncoming barrage of rotten tomatoes* It's not that bad! Some of the seasons actually have some pretty deep storylines. Time force is one of them. It has that scifi setting you seem to be looking for. Of course there's MMPR, but it's a little dated, which can turn some people off. I would suggest the more mature Super Sentai but you're already picky as it is.

Bodhie
7th May 2011, 10:25 PM
1) If you want to try a Star Trek show, I would recommend Deep Space Nine over Voyager (or any other; if you didn't grow up with the original show, as I did, it will seem hokey to you.) Mostly because, IMO, DS9 is the most "stand-alone" of the Trek shows, the most comprehensible without any frame of reference. The concept is in general different from the other Trek shows in that it's not set on a ship but on a space station, and so it is in general mostly focused on the socio-political affairs of a small (but massively critical) area of space rather than "exploring the galaxy." Also, the scenario gives it a lot of internal character conflict (It's not your typical shiny-happy Star Trek, for sure.), and IMO it's the least sci-fi-ish of all the shows because it IS more politically-focused. It doesn't get really good until the 3rd season, but you at least need to watch the first episode to get the general backstory. The whole thing is worth watching just for the (recurring, not regular) character named Garak, IMO. And all of the regulars are quite fascinating as well.

2) I really like Stargate SG-1. It's sci-fi, but it also mixes in (not entirely accurate but nicely fun) history in an odd sort of way. You don't have to see the original Stargate movie to understand it. It'll keep you occupied for a while since it ran for 10 seasons and starting in the 3rd-ish season it gets nicely serialized, so you always want to watch more to see what happens in the overall story line. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the 9th and 10th seasons, and like most sci-fi shows the first season is less-than-impressive (though it does have its moments), but it hit its stride more quickly than a lot of sci-fi I've met. Richard Dean Anderson's performance alone is worth the price of admission...which is one of the reasons why I'm not big on the last two seasons, since he's not in them. :) Maybe I should warn about nekkidness in the pilot, though; since it was originally on HBO, I think, it was allowed. But it's only in the pilot.

5) Also not sci-fi: Monk. I love that show. About a very phobic/OCD ex-cop who solves crimes. It sounds kind of dumb "on paper," but the performances of everyone on the show is amazing.

6) For an oldie, I'd also recommend Quantum Leap. It has a sci-fi premise, but the focus really isn't the sci-fi but, often, social commentary. Or just flat-out silliness. Or sometimes musical theater. :lol: The premise was such that the writers could do just about anything, and they took full advantage of that over its five seasons.

7) And if you want something totally fun and campy with absolutely no brain required: The original Knight Rider from the early 80s. Because nothing beats a sarcastic talking car. :)

1- I will , it sound very intriguing :)

2- I really like to read about SG-1 then watch it lol Though I did watch the show , and the movies . But i like Richard dean anderson in MacGyver *can't help to chuckle cose it remind me of Patty&Selma and their obsession with him * LOL

3- Monk , it is on my list of 'Must watch' thanx for the reminder .

4- Already saw Quantum leap :)

Maybe I should warn about nekkidness in the pilot, though; since it was originally on HBO, I think, it was allowed. But it's only in the pilot.

After watching Sex and the city...me think I already got the vaccine :lol:

It has that scifi setting you seem to be looking for

Actually , I'm looking for no-scific tv show . I saw the x-files and Earth final conflict and since I'm not big on the science fiction part....I kinda had more then enough and was looking for something more normal........like normal setting with everyday problems and such .

Miko09
7th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Actually , I'm looking for no-scific tv show . I saw the x-files and Earth final conflict and since I'm not big on the science fiction part....I kinda had more then enough and was looking for something more normal........like normal setting with everyday problems and such .

Well community has a "normal setting" with pretty adnormal characters dealing with everyday problems. Check it out if you have the time. You already have a long list.

anothereyjana
9th May 2011, 2:45 AM
I second the Monk recommendation as well.
Also, you said that you'd seen most of The X-Files episodes; just out of curiosity, did you watch the one with the alien baseball player? I just ask because that one (along with maybe the one with the Christmas ghosts) is probably my favorite. It's kind of bittersweet at times, but still a wonderful story, and I think that it actually might have been written by David Duchovney (sp?) himself.
As for my recommendations;

1) The Ricky Gervais Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT0D0cWbbE) -- Ricky's (the one who looks like Fred Flintstone) name may be the one in the title, but Karl Pilkington (the bald guy) is the mad genius who really drives that show. It's animations of a podcast, but they are some of the most hilarious things you will ever hear.

2) You said that you enjoy sci-fi that blends in reality a bit, so have you tried Alien Nation? I've only watched a couple of the tv movies, but the show itself sounds interesting(I've just never personally gotten around to watching it), since it deals heavily with inter-racial relations, and seems like a pretty realistic depiction of what it would be like if aliens settled on earth alongside humans. Word of warning though, it's based in the late 80's/early 90's, so you may have to shield your eyes from the fashion choices from time to time (why did people used to think that day-glo was a good idea?). :giggler:

3) For medical shows, I've always liked House, though I have to catch up on the last couple of seasons myself. House is always such a fun old grump to watch.

4) Have you seen the short-lived X-Files spin-off The Lone Gunmen? It's much more comedy than horror, and the story revolves much more around the conspiracy element than the supernatural.

5) I know that you said no horror/vampire+werewolf stuff, but the show Being Human is really good. There are also two versions of it, the original UK version, and the US remake version; I personally like both (some people are really divided as to which version is better), plus the characters in the two versions are very different from one another, so it's basically like watching two entirely different shows with the same premise.
The plot in both is about a werewolf and a vampire who rent a house together, which turns out to be haunted by a female ghost. The three roommates become close friends and all try to help each other establish a "normal" life, or as normal of one as they can all possibly have with their "conditions." For instance, in both versions, the vampire ("Mitchell" in the original, and "Aiden" in the US, which is a nod to the actor who plays Mitchell) is trying to "stay clean," i.e., not kill people and drink their blood (in both versions, they use drug addiction as a metaphor for the desire to drink blood--there is even one episode where Mitchell forms an AA-style support group for vampires who want to give up blood! :giggler: ).
A word of warning though, there is a good bit of blood and violence in both versions, and the UK version does have on-screen nudity and sex at times, so it's a bit NSFW (not that I'd recommend trying to watch tv shows during work anyway...).

Julieryc
9th May 2011, 4:08 AM
Even though you aren't looking for a sci-fi show, I'm going to join everyone else here and recommend Firefly, the new BSG (Battlestar Galactica), and Deep Space Nine (DS9), particularly the first two. Neither Firefly nor BSG have aliens, and BSG in particular deals with a lot of contemporary issues through the sci-fi lens. If you like BSG, you'll probably like DS9, as the same person (Ron Moore) was heavily involved in writing both of them. DS9 takes a while to get good, but once it hits its stride, it's terrific; much better than Star Trek: Voyager, particularly if you like character development, serialized plots, and less technobabble. I'll go as far as to say that it's the best Star Trek series, period. Also second iCad's assertion that it's worth watching for Garak alone.

Firefly's not really pure sci-fi; it's much more character-focused than anything, and blends sci-fi with Westerns (but is much better than that sounds.) Make sure you watch this in the order that it comes in the DVD case, and not in the order Fox originally aired it. I can't think of much more to say about this, but...just go watch it. Seriously. It's so, so good.

For sci-fi that blends in with present-day reality, I'd recommend Fringe; it's a bit slow to get started/a bit X-files and "monster-of-the-week"-ish in the beginning, but it's been doing a good job of developing its own mythology and arc. The performance of John Noble (Denethor from Lord of the Rings) really makes this show.

For medical/more typical shows without SF elements, I'd recommend the early seasons of Bones and House. Both have taken a significant dip in quality within the past 2 seasons or so, but they were good at the beginning. House is medical, Bones is forensic anthropology.

If you want something completely different and can deal with massive amounts of sex and violence, I'd recommend both Dexter and Rome. I don't like horror, but Dexter isn't so much horror as suspense, and it's generally well-plotted (some seasons more than others, but you'd start with the first season, one of the stronger ones.) It's the one series where I prefer the TV show to the book. Rome is just wonderfully fun - full of political intrigue, and far, far better than The Tudors, The Borgias, or any of the other pale imitators that have sprung up since it went off the air.

As far as comedies go, I second Scrubs.

missroxor
9th May 2011, 5:34 AM
I'm going to third Monk and second (I think) House. I love them both :)

Plus, when you mentioned a "normal setting" you reminded me of a show I've only just started watching but absolutely love: Workaholics. They've just started showing it on Comedy Central where I am though somebody told me it's actually the second series they're showing. Maybe it just appeals to my sense of humour (which is probably not very intelligent, heh) but I think it's one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment. Last couple of episodes I've seen I've had to rewind bits because I've laughed at something so hard and for so long I missed the next scene entirely!

Another normal-ish setting type series I quite liked was 'Hung' though I never got around to catching the second series.

Ooohh...and have you watched Spartacus and Gods of the Arena? When I watched the first episode I was kinda thinking it was a bit cheesy and the acting was a bit crap but I stuck it out to the end of the episode and that was it, I was hooked, had to watch both series. There's lots of violence and nudity (seriously, it gets to the point where you see boobs flopping out in your face and you don't even bat an eyelid :lol:) but it's highly addictive and there's lots of really fit men to gawp at (or like I said, noody women if you prefer) ;) ....actually I have MTS to thank for this one because I only watched it after seeing an advert for it on here.

PS I don't just sit and watch tv constantly, honest, lol (who has time when there's sims to be played?! ;) ), I just had to find a lot of series to record so I had something to watch when I was still getting up for feeds every 3 hours in the middle of the night when my wee one was younger :)

Shoosh Malooka
9th May 2011, 2:54 PM
There is an ocean of past shows to watch. If you can find it you might like the War of the Worlds TV Series 1988 - 1990. Besides the finger in the eyes deaths there is a lot unintentionally hilarious stuff to be enjoyed. If you've heard of MacGyver then there is a reason for it: He destroys tanks with paper clips. If he were the professor on Gilligan's Island they would have requested a rescue mission by using the radio tower he built out of leaves.

I further recommend Alien Nation. Even though you are old enough, consider some Land of the Lost. In fact, I must very highly recommend Farscape for its science fiction wackiness, unique cast of characters, wide arsenal of plot devices, and of course Claudia Black. Don't forget that wild intro music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVfIbp-XYSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2uFpBYt1M

BeechWell2
13th May 2011, 10:34 PM
If you are up to sumething different, then I would also suggest

Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany
and
Heimat II - A Chronicle of a Generation
(there is also a third Heimat III, which imo isn't on par with the first two, though)

Strictly speaking they are episodic movies, running 15 and 25 hours respectively, but usually divided into - and best viewed as - a television series.

The Heimat films do require some patience, they are neither flashy nor (generally) very exciting. But they do offer a deep and very engaging view into the lives of their protagonists, and the history of 20th century Germany through them.
It's really a very unique and rewarding experience once you get into it, and beautifully photographed.

Shoosh Malooka
14th May 2011, 1:33 AM
Hallelujah, this topic has made me rediscover Earth Final Conflict. When it was on a long time ago I was too young to care about the story and any lessons to be learned. On YouTube someone named MrWizenBud has uploaded many seasons of it if not the entire series. It's not clear if smoking his heathen bud has made him wise, but I appreciate the opportunity to see this show again.

Misanthrope
23rd May 2011, 1:52 AM
- Game of Thrones. It's like Lord of the Rings meets the Godfather. Filled with murder, betrayal, incest, political struggles, and war. It's awesome. Trust me.

- Rome. The series begins with Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul, and the first season concludes with the assassination of Caesar followed by the rise of the first Emperor Augustus. I'm not a person who's interested in history, but this show was really great.

- Dexter. A drama series that centers on a bloodstain pattern analyst who moonlights as a serial killer.

- The Shield Controversial portrayal of corrupt police officers.

- Arrested Development My favorite comedy

l00p1n
4th Jun 2011, 7:22 PM
House M.D.?
or Dexter..

Johnny_Bravo
4th Jun 2011, 7:32 PM
No ''What's up, dad?'' reply yet?

Twilight13girly
13th Jun 2011, 3:57 PM
criminal minds is my favorite show

Shoosh Malooka
20th Jun 2011, 9:03 PM
I just finished watching Earth final Conflict which was recommanded by my roomate and I really liked it.

Did you watch it online or did you buy a dvd set? I cannot find season 4 and 5 anywhere online that has acceptable resolution.

FaithKuran
21st Jun 2011, 1:13 AM
I don't know if you would like it but I find myself hypnotized with this show. My dad was watching it one day and I was too lazy to move from the couch. (yes I can be that lazy sometimes :faceslap: ) anyways it's called Lie to Me and it's a show about a team of people that find people that commited crimes by questioning people and noticing things from their body language. It's really very interesting and hilarious sometimes. Try it out if you want. :)