PDA

View Full Version : Resolved *Update* CRES error the cause? Vanity - Problem with textures showing on the thumbnails

Honeywell
3rd Jan 2011, 6:18 PM
I have a vanity slaved to Jonesi's Bed Blanket and the thumbnails don't display the textures properly in game even though the object itself shows perfectly. I've been editing things in the vanitybench GMND because I think that's where the problem is but I don't have any idea what's wrong so really I'm just changing things just to change them.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1164041

ETA:
I found a vanity by SnowStorm where they actually slaved the seat cusion to the bedding here:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=57165

Based on their package I cleaned up my GMND and there was absolutely no change to the thumbnails (right clicking to update them) but I did happen to notice there's an error in the CRES Hierarchie and I'm wondering if that's not what's actually causing the problem?

The vanitybench has always had two subsets--the cushion and the vanity. But the table portion of the vanity only had the one subset originally and I added another subset when I separated the mirror trim and drawer knob in order to slave them to Jonesi's Bed Blanket. So is it possible the thumbnails aren't showing properly because I need to add that subset to the CRES somehow instead of it being a texture/GMND related problem?

Echo
4th Jan 2011, 9:41 AM
Have you tried deleting and regenerating the thumbnails? Old, badly cached thumbnails are the most common cause of that sort of issue (where it's fine in game but strange in previews). :)

Honeywell
4th Jan 2011, 3:52 PM
Thanks for replying, Echo. I've been relying on ctrl+right clicking to update the thumbnails but I just tried deleting the cache too but they're still showing up like the texture is missing.

This pic shows what happened when I deleted the cache. The thumbnails on the right without the blue is what appears--basically everything but the vanity table portion of the mesh. When I right click on the thumbnails the missing vanity portion is outlined in blue. The blue refection in the mirror happens when I right click but goes back to a normal when I let the keys up.

HugeLunatic
4th Jan 2011, 7:08 PM
The thumbnails folder is not the issue as this shows blue in my game as well the first I put it in. I can't find a reason for it doing this. Everything looks linked properly for the most part. There were a few areas that I thought might be the issue, but none are fixing the issue.

The issue is with the wood texture on the slaved subset, but that's as far as I can get. LoL In the GMND you have the vanity subset listed in tsMaterialsMeshName and it's not needed. Also in the GMND the texture names were incorrect. But neither of those fixed the issue. And I did delete my thumbnail folder in between.

Honeywell
4th Jan 2011, 9:36 PM
Thank you for looking into it, HL. Like you, I cleaned up the GMND with no effect and I even started over from scratch cloning a new vanity. The thumbnails were still messed up on the new package and on top of it I messed up my mirror reflection somehow. :/

The last thing I tried to do was un-slaving the knob and mirror trim and having them be a part of the vanity table again so the only portion of the vanity slaved to JBB was the seat (like SnowStorm's vanity above) and even that didn't fix the thumbnails. Nothing seems to make a difference.

ETA:
Eighty gabillion hours later...resolved! The TXTR's and TXMT's require the vanity prefix in the name in order for the thumbnails to show. :faceslap: Thanks again for taking the time to help me ladies, I appreciate it!