PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre lighting on repository object

Enkai
8th Oct 2010, 7:50 PM
So I was a bit ambitious for my first new mesh and created a cabinet to match the mission kitchen set in OFB. I got all the repository textures working, but I'm not satisfied with how it looks in game. Light is hitting the mesh very differently from how it does on the actual cabinet. The cabinet does not appear to have the sharp edges that the counter does either.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/otakuenkai/snapshot_00000006_19bb20cd.jpg

Probably what's the easiest to see from the screenshots are the hinges and the visible side of the cabinet. There's a lot more lighting contrast than there is in the counter.

Is this something that should be fixed in the mesh, or something in the package? I'm including both my obj and package in the zip.

I did all the modelling and uvmapping in Wings 3D.

HugeLunatic
8th Oct 2010, 8:03 PM
A closer pic of the cabinet would help, but it's probably the normals. Change to body selection mode (4th cube), select the object (selects whole mesh), then right click Auto-Smooth. This will align the normals and smooth faces and make edges "crisp" smartly. If that doesn't quite get the normals correct, and sometimes it doesn't, then you will want to change to edge selection mode and select specific edges, right click / hardness /hard. These unsharp edges is what causes the shading or odd lighting in game.

Enkai
8th Oct 2010, 10:11 PM
Wow, such a fast reply! Well, I did the auto-smooth thing, and that seems to have solved the problem. It looks much better. Thank you!

HugeLunatic
9th Oct 2010, 3:45 AM
Your welcome. =) Glad you got it fixed.