PDA

View Full Version : Textures Mapped Differently In Game?

Honeywell
25th Sep 2010, 11:15 PM
This thread was originally posted here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=420682)

For some reason my texture isn't following my UV map when loaded in the game. Everything looks good (to me) up until that point and previews correctly in SimPE so I'm not sure what's happening.

Attached:
Pics & package file so if I explained something wrong you can hopefully see what I meant.

p.s.
Please don't laugh at my messy file--I'm still learning. :p

leefish
25th Sep 2010, 11:50 PM
hmmm, trying to dl, getting an error, I shall try again later.

Honeywell
26th Sep 2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I get the same error. I upped the file to Mediafire too (I hope that's ok?) in case anyone is *really* interested in helping me. lol

http://www.mediafire.com/?3m6cgcbsedqvxuo

leefish
26th Sep 2010, 12:13 AM
ok, a quick look tells me that you picked an object with two recolourable subsets, but left lots of bits behind. I will give the file a quick clean and take a closer look. It would be cool if you kept that you know - then you could have books and the holder - lots of options :)

EDIR1: Hmm, I think its because you cloned the candles - in buy mode it looks like your pic - as soon as you go to live mode it flickers - like crazy. Er groovy..... :blink:

EDIT2: wierder and wierder - I set that guob TXMT to none instead of additive. Now we have an attractive blob of wood ..... that flickers.

EDIT3: AHA!! Is an animated texture - lots of gubbins in the TXMT about animations. I deleted em all. TESTING (Lee dons goggles)

Honeywell
26th Sep 2010, 12:24 AM
Yes! That's why I picked the candle because it's already designable. I can't figure out how to add a recolor to an object that only has one texture file. When I cloned the texture file (following a tutorial) they still didn't show--I think there was probably something named wrong but using the candles in the first place is just less work all around. I want to do at least two other colors to coordinate with the wood spice racks from Seasons.

But this was the most complicated texture map I've tried to put together and I wanted to see what it looked like in game to see what needed to be tweaked before I worked on it some more. I'm glad I checked it in game now in case I need to start from scratch if I can't fix this. I swear it took hours for me to do just that one UV map & texture to begin with.

ETA:
Flickers! Doh. I can't believe you figured that out, thank you! Ok, I can pick another object then and figure out how to clone the textures I guess or muck around and see if I can fix the candle. Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated!

leefish
26th Sep 2010, 12:30 AM
Oh I see. Well have you seen that tutorial by Ignorant Bliss? It says how to add a subset and make it recolourable. Here is a link:

http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379

I also see that I was the last poster long ago in 2008. awww. We were all new and learning once :)

FIXED!!!!! Lee does a victory lap of the fish bowl! la la la. It was removing that animated texture gubbins :) Cannot upload file - I think D is fixing stuff...

http://www.mediafire.com/?mynsxt1b1lcn7gm << mediafire

Honeywell
26th Sep 2010, 1:09 AM
Aww, you're a sweetheart--I didn't know you were fixing it for me! I'll check back later for the candle version. I cloned the fruit bowl in the meantime and I think it looks pretty good--a blurry mess close up but from a couple feet away it's good. I think I need to just raise the mesh up a bit, coordinate the book patterns a little better, and change something so it'll go on shelves and I think I'll be good to go.

It's been a great learning experience (everything I've tried so far has been too complicated and I've given up) so the fact I'll have something I'll actually want to use when I'm done is awesome. Thanks again for your help--it's pretty cool that this late in the game MTS still has all these resources (and people!) to help. :)

ETA:
I just saw the Mediafire link. *mashes love button again*