PDA

View Full Version : Object is flashing magenta???

CatherineTCJD
30th Jul 2010, 3:14 AM
Hiya gurus...

I've been around for a looong time, and am pretty proficient with SimPE. However, I'm new to creating...

I've just started a new project: I'm trying to use Pixelhate/Numenor's 1-tile poster for ALL the Maxian wallpaper trims - then I'll weed-out (hide) the redundant wallpapers. It really bugs me that Maxis used up so much catolog space for the same wallpaper but with different trimmings. AARGH!

So, anyway, I cloned the poster to give it my own guid (because I was scrolling forEVER through the recolors of it that I already had :rolleyes: ) I culled the Maxis LIFO/texture files for the ones I wanted, Photochopped :D them, and made recolors... No problem!

I tested them all in game - all were good, except many of them were not quite the color I thought they'd be. I thought since I'd used the Maxis textures, they would match those walls in-game. They didn't. (I found that very strange...) So, I switched to research mode and spent the last three days reading, searching, and trying. I found Pixelhate's tut on TXMT's and the envcube... I followed that. Things were looking better.

But, now, every wall is glowing magenta - or dark purple (like magenta with the glow turned off) I've beat my head against the bricks all day - and finally decided I needed help. :cry: So, here I am. Pleading :help:

I've tried taking out the last thing I added - the reflections. Nope.

I've tried starting over with a new re-cloned mesh, and redoing the recolors - all 86 of them - to that mesh. Still not good. (Which is really driving me nuts, 'cause it worked before!)

What am I missing? Please help! Thank you!!!

mustluvcatz
30th Jul 2010, 3:54 AM
Your texture wasn't showing up in "preview" in the GMDC. I changed some of the settings in the TXMT and the texture shows in "preview" now. Everything is linked properly- which is why I played around with the TXMT.

NOTE: I haven't tried this in game. Hopefully I fixed the flashing for you. If you'd like to see what I changed, open up both .packages and compare the TXMT settings. :) If it still flashes, let us know!

CatherineTCJD
30th Jul 2010, 4:31 PM
Thanks! I'll go check it out. I hope you fixed it.

Oddly enough, the mesh DID preview for me - both the GMDC and the other texture-thingie preview. :blink:

Maybe I pounded that brick wall a little harder than I should've last night?
...I'll let you know what happens. Thank you very much for helping me.

>>> OK. The mesh works again - THANK YOU!!! But, none of my recolors work. :(
I think the easiest way to fix them will be re-doing all of them - yet again. UGH.

Would you happen to know why my Maxis copied textures are not exactly the same as the wall originals? I was fiddling with the TXMTs trying to get them to match when I got into this mess. Or, better yet, what should I do to make them match?

Thank you again! :Pint:

mustluvcatz
30th Jul 2010, 6:11 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you would have to do your recolors over again. *head desk* Once I changed the TXMT settings..well, sorry again. But, it's fixed!! Curious, you say the mesh previewed for you? Did the texture show? It didn't for me, which is what led me to the TXMT (after checking the SHPE and GMND).

I don't know why the textures aren't the same. Where did you get them? It seems to me that if you extract them from the game with SimPE they should match.

You're very welcome btw- I'm always glad I can help someone. :)

maybesomethingdunno
30th Jul 2010, 6:27 PM
Would you happen to know why my Maxis copied textures are not exactly the same as the wall originals?

I've seen where others have had trouble getting object textures to perfectly match the textures of adjacent walls. I think it has something to do with the way the game renders lighting/textures differently for walls versus objects.

I don't know if you could change the texture (in a graphic editor like Photoshop) to compensate or not.

lucy kemnitzer
31st Jul 2010, 7:17 AM
I don't think it's possible to make an object react to light the same way as a wall, so the best you can hope for is a near-match. If all the trims you're making match each other where appropriate, I think you're doing fine.