PDA

View Full Version : Lamp- I thought I figured it all out..

mustluvcatz
18th Jul 2010, 8:11 PM
EDIT: The problem was with my mesh itself. (For the shade, that is.) I ended up importing the shade mesh of another custom lamp and edited that to the shape I wanted. The only real difference I saw between the two is that the "new" mesh seems to have more divisions. Would that be the reason that mine wasn't showing up correctly? (There was something here about the poly count- I got that down to around 1700 again.)

mustluvcatz
21st Jul 2010, 3:49 AM
Okies, I spent a fair bit of time today trying to edit the TXMT of the floor lamp to have the shine, etc., of the ceiling lamp. lol @ myself- I planned on making the set repository so that was a waste of time. Once I slaved the floor lamp to the ceiling lamp it took on the look I wanted.
However, now the ceiling lamp's texture looks wrong. Once side is darker than the other and I don't think it looked like that before. (It's like that when lit, too.) I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything in that .package- all I was doing was copying stuff.
Can anyone tell from the pic what could've changed and how I can fix it? I swear it didn't look like that before. The floor lamp does it too, but not to the extent that it's really noticable..even picky, lil ole me had to look close. edit: I looked at the screenshots I had, the difference in the texture is there. It's just not as noticeable. Could it be the mapping? It's mapped as a cylinder, which seemed to be the right map.

I didn't make a new thread for this elsewhere in case I need to attach the lamp for someone to look at.

JavierMC20
23rd Jul 2010, 3:05 AM
Did you spread the UV's for the texture on the floor lamp wide, yet contain the hanging lamp UV's to only a portion of the texture? If you used a gradient texture, I'd say you've got a huge portion of the hanging lamp on the darker gradient. I can look at the mesh if you'd like.

mustluvcatz
23rd Jul 2010, 4:14 AM
Thanks, Javier. :) Both lamps have the exact same UV map. The texture is a gradient of sorts- but the lighter part goes all the way to the sides. I've played with it in PhotoShop and MilkShape to be sure. It could be a lighting "thing"- it's beginning to look like the part that's toward the back is naturally darker. I just think it's odd that I didn't really notice it before. There's one more thing I want to try with the texture. If what I do doesn't fix anything (and I doubt it's going to) I'll attach the file. At the very least, you could tell me if it looks like that in your game.

JavierMC20
23rd Jul 2010, 4:23 AM
Sounds good. Anything I can do to help, I'm happy to give it a look. One other thing you might check if you haven't already, if your using an envcube setting, check to see if the stdMatEnvCubeLockedToCamera is set to 1, instead of 0. That way the glow follows the camera and isn't static. That might effect the shadow too.

mustluvcatz
23rd Jul 2010, 4:40 AM
Ah! I checked in SimPE. It's set to 0- so I'll change that to 1 and check it out in the morning. (Too sleepy to do it now!) Thanks again! That's a setting I didn't know to change. *adds another note to her notes*

mustluvcatz
23rd Jul 2010, 5:11 PM
(Double post, I know..edits don't show up as new posts.) Well, I tried that and it did make a difference. The shadow is still there but it didn't seem as noticeable. If anyone wants to look at the mesh to see if there is anything I didn't do- please take a look. This isn't the one I made the stdMatEnvCubeLockedToCamera change to though.

JavierMC20
23rd Jul 2010, 5:43 PM
Hiya MLC. I downloaded your mesh, making no changes whatsoever, I loaded it into my game and...well...I don't see that huge shadow on the shade, lite or unlit. So I have no idea why your game is showing it. See attached pictures, lamp lit, front view and back view.

mustluvcatz
23rd Jul 2010, 7:10 PM
Well, that's strange. I play with shadows on- I didn't think of turning them off to see if that changes anything. Of course, I don't know if you have shadows on or not. Something else- in your pics, it doesn't look like the envcube is making any difference..none of the shininess shows like in the pic I posted or the pics I have on my computer.

Could someone else/someone elseS download this lamp and try it out in game? Please?

JavierMC20
23rd Jul 2010, 7:43 PM
MLC,

I gave it another look, this time set my game time to 2200hrs and added a lamp to the right of yours. The shadow showed up. I then added another lamp to the left, and the shadow disappears. So...what I figure from this is that the envcube settings need to be changed, because the effect is being caused by the lighting cast by other objects in the room. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can help figure out what you might try. Sorry I didn't think of trying this initially. My game time was set to 11am and no other lights were on in the room for the first photos. I also added a screen shot of my game settings so you know what I'm working under.

mustluvcatz
23rd Jul 2010, 8:27 PM
Thank you so much for playing around with this lamp and offering to help figure it out.

The lot I try stuff out on is never saved (beyond what I did to set it all up at first) so when I load that lot the time is always whatever time it is when you load a "new" lot. (If you understand that!) It looks like your game settings are pretty much the same as mine, except for the resolution.

JavierMC20
23rd Jul 2010, 11:15 PM
It's me again LOL.

OK, I was able to get the shadow to go away, but I did nothing to the en-cube settings.

1. I imported your mesh into Blender. I did a remove doubles on the mesh and it found:

143 duplicate verts on the glass
541 duplicate verts on the lighting-ceiling
5 duplicate verts on the bulb.

2. I removed these doubles and did a set smooth on each mesh part.
3. I took your texture for the glass and instead of doing a radial gradient, I did a reflected gradient. This made the gradient light in the center of the texture, darkening horizontally (see attached pic).
4. I imported the revised meshes into your package and everything appears to look normal, but now without the shadow or a seam of where the texture met.

What I think was happening, was the duplicate vertices were causing some shadowing irregularities in the mesh which the lighting effects were picking up and casting back onto the light. Removing the duplicate vertices also reduced the faces to 1272. I'll attach the revised package so you can see what I did.

mustluvcatz
24th Jul 2010, 3:06 AM
Thank you so much for all you've done. :) Honestly, I never would have figured that out on my own. Duplicate vertices? I know MilkShape has a "clean" and a "clean model" but I'd never used them and don't really understand what they do. So, I tried both of them on the un-modified mesh and well, I guess I'm going to have to do some reading..lol. I definitely didn't get the results you did with Blender. And "smooth" doesn't seem to work right either. I'm pretty sure I got all the plug-ins that were needed.

It's kind of ironic about the texture, too. When I was playing around with it last night, that's the way the texture ended up. At least I was going in the right direction with something. Thanks again. I'm off to study a mesh and do some reading.

JavierMC20
24th Jul 2010, 3:23 AM
Honestly, I only use milkshape to view my models textured in a 3-D view, or when I'm working on a bodyshop item, otherwise, I use blender because it is so much more powerful and full of more abilities for object modeling. Plus it's free. :D

Glad I could help a little. Milkshapes clean and clean model did not find the duplicates, found them in blender and used it's remove tool to get rid of them. So I'm sure it's nothing to do with your milkshape, just the programs limitations. Cheers and I look forward to downloading the finished light!