PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Castaway Stairs

fairywitch
4th May 2010, 12:02 PM
I have both of them in my game. One is just fine and doesn't "streak" in the neighbourhood - just like all my other stairs. However, the second streaks like mad. Well, not the stairs themselves. The railings cause the streaking. When I remove the railings, I have no funky streaky stuff showing up in neighbourhood view. I would really like to use them with railings. The other stairs don't have the right "look". There must be some level of detail setting in the shape I could edit to make them work correctly but since I haven't worked on stairs, I don't know what to change. I did open the other ones in SimPe but didn't find anything obvious. Thanks for any help. :)

These are the ones that are "streaky" but fine in the lot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/andrea2002/random%20stuff/castaway_stairrrailing_lot.jpg

From the neighbourhood:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/andrea2002/random%20stuff/castaway_stairrailing_nbhd.jpg

HugeLunatic
5th May 2010, 2:18 PM
I know you said it is only the railings that do this, but it just looks like a graphical issue. :/ My stairs don't do this in hood view, and I tried on two different lots using foundations and raised ground as testing areas.

I thought whether or not these show up in hood view depended on having LOD files, but the CS stairs do not have any. The other place that hood view is linked is in the cres, in the GameData in the block list. This does list LODs (String 90), which is the Model - Bone Names for the stairs themselves. Didn't realize you could just use that to have them show in hood view using the original mesh/textures.

fairywitch
5th May 2010, 9:59 PM
Maybe it is a graphical issue, although it's hard to believe since the graphics card is new (had to get my old 9800gt replaced with another one (the fan broke) and I bought the computer parts last year, all new and haven't had an issue with the display yet - not even with the "old" new one that broke. I used to have streaking with my very old 7600gs a few years back when I had too many trees in my neighbourhood. This neighbourhood is very small and I'm using it as a University for my tribal and castaway sims. It only has 5 lots total. It's an island with hardly anything on it lol.

About LOD90: I know how to add it to the GameData etc to get stuff to show in Nbhd view. I've done that quite a few times myself for roof pieces/domes and other things that people make that you can't see in the neighborhood - which makes the houses look kind of silly if you can't see them! I just thought maybe there was something special about stairs that one could add. If you say you've tested them with no issues, then I guess it is on my end. Annoying!

Thanks for the reply :)

HugeLunatic
6th May 2010, 4:31 AM
Your welcome. I just -had- to test since I pretty much ignore hood view anyway. :lol: