PDA

View Full Version : Only one part of texture showing up in-game?

Sunnyish
21st Apr 2010, 12:51 AM
So, I created a new chair mesh, and the chair that I cloned had two texture files: one for the seat, and one for the rest of the chair. In SimPE, everything looked fine and exactly the way I wanted it to, but when I went to test it out in my game, only the texture for the seat showed up, and the rest of the chair was showing up grey.

I thought I had followed all of the steps correctly, but now I'm not sure if I skipped something, or did something wrong?

(by the way, I'm quite new to object creation, so if I explained something in a funny or incorrect way, I'm sorry. I tried. :rolleyes: )

mustluvcatz
21st Apr 2010, 1:43 AM
Which chair did you clone?

eta: The reason I ask is that the only chair I could find in SimPE that looks right is the "Simple Sit Chair". And looking at the files for that one- it may be a mispelling on your part or the textures themselves. Knowing which chair you cloned would help.

Sunnyish
21st Apr 2010, 2:32 AM
Yes, sorry, I did use the Simple Sit Chair.

A misspelling? Of what?

mustluvcatz
21st Apr 2010, 3:20 AM
Not sure really. It was just a guess on my part since I hadn't really looked at yours. I did notice your textures are huge compared to the game chair though. I just got back to the computer so I'm going to go look again.

edit: I can't really see anything wrong with the GMND, TXMT, SHPE and MMAT in your package. So- I'm thinking it's how you mapped your mesh. I exported it and took a look in MilkShape. You've got the frame and top fabric grouped together..the seat and seat fabric grouped together. I don't know HOW you mapped it- but your textures have a small fabric section surrounded by black.
It might be easier to redo the chair so that the frame/seat are one texture and the top fabric/seat fabric are the other texture. What are you using to do your meshes? What are you using to map them? (I'm hoping you use MilkShape- I can help you with redoing the groups without redoing the whole mesh.)

Sunnyish
21st Apr 2010, 4:59 AM
Thanks for taking a look at it for me!

At the time, I was using Wings 3D for the mesh, and UVMapper Classic to map them. I just downloaded the trial version of Milkshape the other day, though, so I do have that now.

mustluvcatz
21st Apr 2010, 6:08 AM
It's midnight here and I need to go to bed. :) I played with your mesh and regrouped the different parts. I wish I could tell you how to do it in Wings! How I did it in MilkShape (and there might be an easier way- this is how I do it): Select and duplicate one group, hide everything but the duplicate. Then select and delete the vertices I don't want (the fabric for example). Hide that, unhide the original, select and delete the opposite vertices (the frame/wood for example). Do the same for the other group. Then select the frame and the seat (not the fabric part), regroup..do the same for the 2 fabric parts. The new regroups will need to be named the same as the original groups- in this case clrs and chair----(sorry, don't remember what the name was). clrs would be the frame, the other the fabric. I always delete the old groups then rename the new ones- that way I don't get confused as to which is which. Then you can export each group to UVMapper, map them and go on from there.

I probably just confused the heck out of you- if you don't understand any of it let me know. Like I said, there might be an easier way to regroup the different parts. If there is, I've never figured it out. Also, if you just can't get it I saved the edited mesh if you need it.

Sunnyish
21st Apr 2010, 6:39 AM
Thanks so much! It's getting late here, too, so I'll take a look at all that tomorrow and see if I can figure it out =P Thanks for your help so far! =) I'll let you know if I run into any problems or questions...

HugeLunatic
21st Apr 2010, 1:18 PM
Wings does an excellent job of mapping new objects. Make a cube, select by all, then right click UVMapping. It will open a new window, then select the edges you want to cut, then continue unfolding. Basically the cut edges is where you want it to open to lay flat.

To ungroup in Wings, which works best if the object was made in multiple parts/shapes, select by all, right click separate.

If you don't want to map in Wings and want to use UVMapper then the easist way to do that is export by selected. After separating select the parts to map, go to file / export selected. You can then map each piece individually in UVMapper, export and bring back into Wings.