PDA

View Full Version : Site Suggestions, September 2009

Pages : [1] 2

Tashiketh
13th Sep 2009, 5:53 PM
The past year has seen some fairly good technological improvements here on MTS - implementation of the Lightbox image viewer, usage of jQuery and AJAX to help alleviate server load, and the tabbed Profile and Download pages, not to mention a lot of minor changes to the general layout, navbar, and download browser interface.

Most of these changes have been suggested, designed and implemented in-house by yours truly, but long time members of the site will remember that occasionally (about once a year) we have Suggestions threads that ask for members input as to what features you want to see here.

To that end, let me officially open the 2009 Site Suggestions thread. Please note this thread is only for TECHNICAL suggestions for the site - it's not a request thread for downloads, but for what kind of features you want to see here.

All (reasonable) suggestions are considered, even if it's only for .5 of a second. :) This is your chance to suggest ideas about how the site works. I'll try to get to everybody and reply but if the thread gets busy that may not be possible.

Regards
Delphy

HystericalParoxysm
13th Sep 2009, 6:06 PM
PS:

No, we're not making a requests forum again, ever.

No, we're not bringing back QXpress or making a QXPress-Sims3-Version either.

daluved1
13th Sep 2009, 6:39 PM
I'm just gonna throw in my two cents :)

The edit profile section is kinda messy, especially the "Profile Override Colors" section. Is there a way to (1) Make it easier to distinguish which color does what, and/or (2) allow for some sort of preview?

Also, maybe add a little note under the "Customised Profile Title" that says for featured creators only so people--like moi--won't go crazy trying to figure out why theirs won't show up ;)

Anyhoos, good job with the site so far ^^

Edit - I'd also like to see the CFF split off into sub-sections like lots, bodyshop, sims, etc..that way you can easily pick what you'd like to help with.

Gangreless
13th Sep 2009, 7:20 PM
My suggestion is mainly about tidying up the site. There are still quite a few references to the old MTS2 site, as opposed to MTS. The wiki link, for example, still says Sims2Wiki, but the wiki has been changed to just "Sims Wiki". Another one I just noticed, at the top of this page, where it shows the location: Mod The Sims > Welcome to ModTheSims2 > Site News, says "Welcome to ModTheSims2". I'll keep an eye out for the other outdated references to MTS2 and edit this post as I find them.

References to old MTS2 name

Link at top of page to Sims2Wiki
Forum Welcome to MTS2 (http://nene.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
Wiki entry for About MTS2 (http://www.sims2wiki.info/MTS2:About) In fact, the entire wiki is rife with MTS2 references.
In the "User Tools" menu, it says myMTS2. The actual page has been renamed myMTS, but the navigation at the top says Mod The Sims > myMTS2 and on the page down toward the bottom, it still says myMTS2 options.
On the myMTS Edit Options page (http://nene.modthesims.info/imts2.php?page=editoptions), there are 4 references to the old name in the Search options.
The copyright in the footer of pages reads "All Rights Reserved. ModTheSims2 and MTS2 2004-2008" and makes no mention of ModTheSims and MTS.
In the navbar under "Site", it says "About MTS2" and the page it links to (http://nene.modthesims.info/about.php) has several MTS2/ModtheSims2 references.
Also in the navbar, under Downloads>Shiny Stuff, it reads "MTS2's top items"
In the description on the Site News (http://nene.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=36&tc=Site%20News) page, it says, "All news items for MTS2, detailing changes and other information are located here.
To see a log of all changes made to MTS2, see here"
In the Download Browse Editor (http://nene.modthesims.info/subscription.php?do=downfsubs), the very last option is MTS2s Top Items.
The description for featured uploads says, "This is a featured upload! It showcases the best talent and creativity available on MTS2 and in the community. "

joninmobile
13th Sep 2009, 7:22 PM
I've mentioned before I would like to see tick boxes for new mesh, Maxis recolor, mesh recolor for easier browsing. Instead of having to choose one or the other, why not choose one of the combinations? I personally love to download new meshes, and Maxis recolors, but hate to download new mesh recolors, because of having to go to other sites, or download something else. While others love only say for instance Maxis recolors, and mesh recolors, but hate to download new meshes. Instead of having to choose only one of these, why not choose which ones you would like to see.

elpemmy
13th Sep 2009, 7:36 PM
I personally would love to have a change to one of the download browsing options. Would it be possibly to only view featured/top downloads on the first page, instead of on every page?
Thanks.
Also, yay suggestions thread!

lewjen
13th Sep 2009, 7:40 PM
I don't know why, but I'd like to see thread titles in red at the top of the page. It'd be something diferent.

Multi-cloloured text! :giggler: Pwetty pwease?

rmrm
13th Sep 2009, 7:42 PM
This probably won't happen because it's a new feature, but I really, really dislike the "thank download" bar at the bottom of every download page. I know it's small, but IMO it seems quite pointless to have a bar across the bottom of the page at all times with nothing on it but "thank download", or when you click that "add to favorites". On top of that, it takes away space for those of us with low resolution monitors, especially with the (much more useful) navigation bar at the top. I guess the good thing about it is that lately I've been thanking almost everything I look at, whether or not I download it. ~_~

Maybe instead of it always being there, there could be an option to turn it off? Or it could just be made into a tiny box in the bottom left corner instead of a big bar taking up far too much space.

Gangreless
13th Sep 2009, 7:53 PM
It does seem quite useless to have just the Thanks button on that bar. I don't mind having the bar there, but I'd like it if it had more useful links in addition to the Thanks button. I'd like it even more if it were customizable with our own links (similar to the My Links menu on the navbar).

kanno
13th Sep 2009, 8:56 PM
YEs!!!!!I have been looking for this everywhere!!!

Ok, so my main suggestion is about the SIMS 3 part.

I will be HONEST, I think modthesims2 was the best website for the sims 2 ever. The content was very well presented.

But the layout for the sims 3 content is not very appropriate for this game.

I think there is way TOO MUCH houses in comparison to the create a sim content (this is because of create-a-style, I think you accept more houses than you did in with the sims 2)
Plus, the new thing about the sims 3 are the patterns. The patterns are different items as they can be applied to both houses/objects and sims.

Everything seems a bit messy, and create-a-sim items are not very attractive.

I think you should make a new layout for the sims 3 part (if possible), by separating, on the main download page, houses/objects, create a sim parts, and patterns.

Anyway, this is still a good website, but it is REALLY time, I think, to "update" it, because the sims 3 is too different from the sims 2, and keeping the same layout for both games...
it's a bit "old fashioned" for the sims 3 I think ^_-

Well, these are just suggestions. I don't know if they realisable or not, but it's just my opinion.

Thank you ^_^

Nysha
13th Sep 2009, 8:59 PM
Kanno, we already do that - just click "Lots & Houses", "Patterns", or "Create-a-Sim" at the top. ;)

And, yes, the balance of upload types has shifted - but really there's not much we can do about it. If people don't upload more CAS, then we can't host more CAS stuff. Nevertheless, we do try to make it as easy as possible to find stuff - I think that system works well, but it can always be improved upon. :)

In technical terms, it's not possible to have different layouts for TS2/TS3 (I think), as TS2 and TS3 are actually just categories; when you're viewing only TS3 items, all that's happening is that the site isn't displaying the items categorised as TS2.

Joninmobile, D has had something like that on his to-do list for a while. :)

kanno
13th Sep 2009, 9:44 PM
Kanno, we already do that - just click "Lots & Houses", "Patterns", or "Create-a-Sim" at the top. ;)

And, yes, the balance of upload types has shifted - but really there's not much we can do about it. If people don't upload more CAS, then we can't host more CAS stuff. Nevertheless, we do try to make it as easy as possible to find stuff - I think that system works well, but it can always be improved upon. :)
:)

Whiterider, I know that we can click "patterns" and "create a sim".
The site is very easy navigatable, and that's the good point.

But I think, most people usually only go to the main download page, and they only see the latest downloads. It's personnally what I do.
And sometimes, If I look specifically for glasses, I'll see other accessories.

I think the system worked very well for the sims 2 but not for the sims 3. The amount of creations is too different.

It's just a question of presentation... attractiveness!
you know, just when you make advertisements, or a shop window! you only buy or get attracted by what is better presented.

In one word: my suggestion is just about the main download page !
The one with the latest downloads. It would be nice if this main download page could separate at least houses from sims stuff.
^_^

Well, thanks for reading my suggestion.
Maybe if some other people agree with it would be better.

Rikachu
13th Sep 2009, 10:05 PM
I think kanno means it would be nice if we could customize the main download page to make it where we can choose specific uploads, then see latest uploads in just those.

Is that even possible? I would like that as well. :)

Gangreless
13th Sep 2009, 11:08 PM
RiBlan: If you go to the Download Browse Editor (http://nene.modthesims.info/subscription.php?do=downfsubs), you can apparently customize which categories you want to see on the downloads page. I don't know if this is still working, or if it is yet another feature that has been abandoned in favor of faster server times. If it is working, that's what you're looking for. If it is not working, then that particular feature should be deleted from our links.

Astrognash
13th Sep 2009, 11:13 PM
I'd like the ability to sort downloads by number of thanks or maybe by how much it's been downloaded. Since we don't have an actual rating system for downloads. Because the three in existence (Post Time, Update Time, Last Post) aren't really very helpful to me.

porkypine
13th Sep 2009, 11:29 PM
Hi Delphy! Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions! :0)

I do have suggestions regarding Mod Groups and THEMES:

I've worked with 2 modding groups who have published large themes. The way the current overview and download and comments pages are set up make a situation where many new to MTS visitors do not know that the theme's content is located in the Comments tab instead of under the Download tab. It seems that fully one HALF of them are not seeing the theme content because they think that the only downloads are on the download tab. (Yes, there IS text telling them to go to comments but we know our visitors don't read the fine print - they need a BIG SIGN) :P

For example, - The Seminole theme -
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=228252

The download tab has one song that has 4,136 downloads. Only half of the visitors realized they needed to go to comments tab for the actual theme's content.

Example 2: The High Rollers -
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=307946

The downloads tab for High Rollers contains 1 download "See first 16 replies for atttachment.rar" :P that one has 2,334 downloads, but the most downloaded mesh only has 1148 downloads. This is repeated on all the large themes - only half of the MTS visitors are savvy enough to go look at the comments section for the theme's downloads. It's a shame that they are missing stuff that so many people spent a lot of time making for them.

Example 3: The Dark Project -

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=232462

Download tab has "Look at the other posts for the downloads.zip" - 35,751 downloads

Comments tab downloads - Largest download is 26,000

If I remember correctly, Dark Project was published before the new 'tabbed downloads' came into being which is why their download ratio between download tab and comments tab content is better.

------------------------------------------
It is to be expected that visitors will not download everything in a theme but there is a definite pattern between the number of downloads on the download tab and the number of downloads contained in the comments section.

---------------------------------------
I don't know how feasible rewriting the code would be:

Perhaps the simplest thing is to rename the Content tab as Comments and Additional downloads OR,

A better way would be to break out the posts in the Comments section which contain downloadable itmes and move them to a new tab called additional downloads. Even better would be a tab for each post containing downloads that have the 'title' for that post as the download tab's name.

THEN, with separated out comments which contain downloadable items, we can correctly create keywords for those items.

Mimi52861
14th Sep 2009, 12:05 AM
Just a little thing: I noticed that very recently the number of members online has disappeared from the very top of the main page. Has it been moved to another location or completely removed? I liked seeing how many others were on the site. I don't need to see individuals, just the total like we had was fine with me.

Oh, and will the adult site ever be updated? It's sad to visit it because it's been neglected for so long. Any chance it could get an overhaul & see some of the great changes you've made for MTS?

One more thing: could we have the top downloads/featured downloads on the front page sectioned as Sim 2 & Sims 3, instead of all together?

Mimi52861
14th Sep 2009, 12:21 AM
I see someone just added the numbers online back to the home page. Man that was quick! Thank you!

Nysha
14th Sep 2009, 12:56 AM
Gangreless, I've fixed some of those instances of MTS2, thanks. :)

Gangreless
14th Sep 2009, 1:09 AM
Wonderful, whiterider. It's been bugging me ever since we switched to MTS. As I said, if I find more of them, I'll edit my original post.

Also, feel free to edit that post yourself to strikethrough the ones you've fixed.

Tashiketh
14th Sep 2009, 1:16 AM
porkypine, with regards to the "look in comments" - you already have the big text "look in comments" but additionally there is the new option for "Related Posts", or, more specifically "Multi-part set". This is specifically designed for large sets to point people to additional posts, and appears on the download tab itself. Thus, the site is already setup to allow the creators to easily tell people where to get the files - the caveat is, of course, that the creators have to tell people where to get the files. :) Breaking out the "additional downloads" is something that we could do (with some coding, of course), but this requires coding, and would be additional load on the servers, especially since for Guests, the comments are not loaded automatically - and considering that we already have systems in place for the creators to manually specify any additional downloads (and, indeed, have a special vbcode for them (see threadthumb)), it's not something I'm inclined to do automatically for the (very) few large sets, that could easily be updated by their creators.

Gangreless: With regards to the Wiki, you can't simply change MTS2 to MTS, becuase MTS2 is a namespace, and if you rename it, you can cause all kinds of issues. The others can probably be done though.

Mini: I already did update SXS2 with the lightbox feature, but the codebase is so far behind MTS's that it would require pretty hefty changes to bring it up to date, hence why I have concentrated mostly on the smaller things.

astrognash: To be honest, I really don't see the value in sorting by thanks or most downloaded, becuase you will always see the same downloads on the first few pages and would have to drill back quite a ways to actually see anything change, especially considering the age of the site and the length of time (or popularity) of certain items. If you want the really good items, then may I suggest looking at the Picks and Featured? Becuase, after all, these are the ones that would appear most anyway.

elpemmy: Believe it or not but the Featured downloads actually used to appear on the first 10 pages, and I dropped it back down to the first 5 quite some time ago. I'll consider dropping it to one, especially considering new featured items get showcased on the front page now (which didn't used to happen, hence why featured downloads appear on more than just page 1).

lewjen: Multi-coloured text will absolutely NOT been happening. This has been disabled on MTS since it's founding (or, rather, since vBulletin was put on), and will never, ever, ever, be put back while I am running it. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

Thread titles in red? I don't see how that would make them any more visible - and when you consider that the thread title appears in the navbar - which has multiple background colours depending on style - then red really is not a good choice. :)

rmrm / Gangreless: My intention is to add things to that bar as and when I actually think of things to add to that bar. I'll look into making this bar optional depending on the user, but I am at a loss as to what "Custom" links you could possible put there? I think that shrinking it to only the bottom left would make it extremely easy to miss. Right now, it's not easy to miss, becuase it goes all the way across, and thats half the point of why the bar is there. (Incidentally, for your own threads you also have an Edit button at the bottom right too).

kanno, You can already filter the Download Browse sections, to turn off areas you don't want to see (which is what you are asking for, after all). If you don't want to see Lots & Housing, for example, just use the Download Browse Editor screen to turn it off. Keeping the same layout for both games is actually beneficial, because the games really aren't that different. Both have Sims, both have Lots, both have Clothing and Makeup you can make (Body Shop in TS2, Create-a-Sim in TS3, both marked as such in the Download Browser). TS3 has the additional of patterns, but then Build and Buy Mode are also very similar too.

Thus, I really don't see the need for a new layout just for TS3, especially considering you already can customise what appears.

Purplepaws
14th Sep 2009, 3:31 AM
Just a quick one: I'd like there to be tick boxes instead of single-selection radio buttons when choosing a category for pattern uploads. A lot of pattern sets can't be confined to one category, and the "multiple (for sets only)" option isn't very search-friendly if you're looking for something specific.

crunkybunch
14th Sep 2009, 3:31 AM
I would really like to see the list of downloaded items return - it was under user tools, my downloaded items or something along those lines - very useful feature that went kaput when the server went down.

Sims3Addicted
14th Sep 2009, 4:04 AM
I have only two suggestions.

Firstly, would be some other way of donating without having to use PayPal. I understand PayPal is the "easy" solution, but as a personal preference, I refuse to use that site. The other way of donating is to purchase from the store, but those items are outdated so that option really is out the window too.

And secondly, I'd love to see a member voting tool implemented, so not only are there featured and picked items, but possibly a weekly/monthly members choice favourite. Something along those lines.

But all in all, the site is free, and well, you get what you pay for and I couldn't be more happy. I do think it's wonderful you guys ask for suggestions although I think we all should be grateful with just having the ability to be apart of a free, friendly community anyway.

Ok, I'm done :)

Rikachu
14th Sep 2009, 5:15 AM
Alright, not sure if this has been covered anywhere (I looked but found nothing) but maybe in the FAQ there could be a short description of the Accomplishments/Achievements? Most of them are self-explanatory (Thanks x100, etc) but I'm not sure what some of them mean (Puppeteer??).

I also second making that new bar across the bottom optional, I really don't see the point.

Thanks for listening, this site is by far one of the best run sites I've ever been on.

That's already there. just click on one of the achievements.

Gangreless
14th Sep 2009, 5:21 AM
Delphy: With regards to the customizable links in the Thanks toolbar, links such as those we can put in the "My Links" menu in the navbar. Instead of it being a dropdown, they'd just be there, next to eachother. My main reason for this is that the new navbar is a bit borked. Perhaps it's a firefox issue, sometimes when I click to open a menu, it just kind of freaks out and moves across the top of the screen and settles on the far left side. Sometimes it only shows a small portion of the menu. Sometimes it randomly opens the child menus of that particular drop down.

xerendipity
14th Sep 2009, 7:03 AM
Please delete my account. I cannot find how to do it. Perhaps, as a site suggestion - this would be a good idea.

Again, please delete my account and all included information. And Do NOT edit my replies.

HighRollers
14th Sep 2009, 8:25 AM
Thanks Delphy. I'm working on fixing the 2 I have access to. :0)

OOPS! Sorry,! I was working on High Rollers and forgot to log out to post this. :p

~porkypine

Brutuz
14th Sep 2009, 8:38 AM
More skins, that's all I can think of that you could implement without major help from EAxis or the community.

Tashiketh
14th Sep 2009, 9:12 AM
Brutuz: More skins as in skintones? Becuase that has nothing to do with the site technically - thats a creation thing and is up to the creators. This thread is about improving the site as a whole, not custom content.

Gangreless: I use firefox extensively and I don't get any menu problems as you describe. The only time I have seen them is when your browser can't load the menu javascript. I don't think moving the My Links to that bar would be useful since the bar appears only on Download threads, and nowhere else.

Sims3Addicted: I think the point here is that you want to see some "member chosen" downloads, correct? Well, the vast majority of the Picked downloads are, in fact, member chosen. So you can use this as a guide to what people like.

Purplepaws: I'll have a look and see how feasible it is to change that to multi-select.

Corrie
14th Sep 2009, 9:50 AM
I think Brutuz means more skins as in more site colours, like the Blue Skies, Mint Tea.
I personally agree, and would love to see more Site Styles come into effect. ;)

Tashiketh
14th Sep 2009, 2:36 PM
Considering we already have 12 selectable styles and colour schemes, and adding more is a fair bit of work colour matching things, and takes a lot of time, I'm not inclined to add any more right now - especially when so few people use something other than the default. :)

Nysha
14th Sep 2009, 2:36 PM
Experimental RO ftw!

Tashiketh
14th Sep 2009, 2:44 PM
Purplepaws: Pattern in-game category has been changed to multi-select, and I have removed the old "Multiple (for sets only)" type. This means you can now assign a pattern set to multiple in-game categories, and they will now show on the filter.

ABCRic
14th Sep 2009, 7:17 PM
I see a little bug here, the "You have X favorite creators" icon mouse-over text did not update after I removed all creators from my list.
http://www.modyourpanties.com/images/090914130628-screenprint.jpg
Yes, that's Portuguese, but you can understand what I mean. I couldn't screenshot the mouse-over text (disappears when pressing shift or ctrl) but going to right-click properties shows it.
Also, I would like if we could choose the icons shown up there. I frequently check my scorecard, but it would be nice to see more icon stats in there.
Edit: Also, I like the shiny new toolbar on the downloads, but it needs more stuff.

Nysha
14th Sep 2009, 7:58 PM
That's probably a caching issue - just wait a while.

ABCRic
14th Sep 2009, 9:16 PM
A big while, since I've already removed them a few days ago.

tlynnjpeg
14th Sep 2009, 9:57 PM
Gangreless: I don't think moving the My Links to that bar would be useful since the bar appears only on Download threads, and nowhere else.
I might be blind...but what/where is this "My Links" you speak of?

And if that's the case, could perhaps the bar be added to all pages so universal buttons could apply?

Also, I actually don't notice the bar unless I specifically look for it. This goes a little against most of the comments on it being too obtrusive. It blends into my browser too much (which could just be my browser setup)...a black line along the bottom would help it stand out, I think. Kind of like the nav bar has at the top.

Tashiketh
14th Sep 2009, 9:57 PM
That not removing the icon when the number goes to zero is a bug, but the more I think about it the more I wonder what the use of that icon actually is - I mean, most creators don't really need to have a constant reminder of how many people they have as favourite creators - the more interesting stats would be better.

tlynnjpeg: My Links is top right, but it only appears if you actually HAVE custom links setup.... which you do through your Edit Quick Links screen (found in User Tools).

I already added Thread Tools to the bar, but otherwise there really aren't too many "universal" things to add.

ABCRic
14th Sep 2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe we could also have an icon to show there are X new posts in subscribed threads or something like that. Like I said, more useful little icons and some way to turn certain icons on, certain off.
Still, great job with the site Delphy! :) :) :)

Simonut
14th Sep 2009, 11:17 PM
lol, see what happen when Delphy open the Flood Gate for suggestions? He get wash away in the storm hahaha, I only would like to see the "THANK YOU" tab in "Color," other than "blue" maybe then the downloaders can see it, I have no idea why some people can download a person or member creations and do not take the time to click Thank you. Do we need a flasher there ? lol

Shalerdude0320
15th Sep 2009, 12:28 AM
How about upgrading the vBulletin version to a newer one?

Nysha
15th Sep 2009, 1:34 AM
Shalerdude0320, this installation of vBB is hacked beyond all recognition. People ask why we run such an old version about once a year, and the answer is always the same - would you want to update five years worth of vBB hacks just to upgrade the software? The download browser would break, the profiles would break, the moderation system would break, the social groups would break... it'd be a nightmare, and certainly not worth it for the marginal improvements available in newer versions of vBB - especially given that Delphy is our sole fixer-of-stuff, and this year busy with developing TS3 tools and looking after a baby.

porkypine
15th Sep 2009, 3:44 AM
That not removing the icon when the number goes to zero is a bug, but the more I think about it the more I wonder what the use of that icon actually is - I mean, most creators don't really need to have a constant reminder of how many people they have as favourite creators - the more interesting stats would be better.

tlynnjpeg: My Links is top right, but it only appears if you actually HAVE custom links setup.... which you do through your Edit Quick Links screen (found in User Tools).

I already added Thread Tools to the bar, but otherwise there really aren't too many "universal" things to add.

Oh please don't remove the favorite creators section. I find it very useful. stash... I use it as a reference link when there is a ton of stuff that those creators make - sometimes I forget a name. :P ... and I need a link to the stuff they made that I've used in some creation and need to link back to them. :)

Purplepaws
15th Sep 2009, 4:23 AM
Purplepaws: Pattern in-game category has been changed to multi-select, and I have removed the old "Multiple (for sets only)" type. This means you can now assign a pattern set to multiple in-game categories, and they will now show on the filter.

Great! Thanks, Delphy, you're the best! :D

*off to edit posts...*

Rapsheba555
15th Sep 2009, 7:21 AM
twitch: If you click the accomplishment you're curious about, it will open up the full-size version with a description below it. :)

Rapsheba555
15th Sep 2009, 8:28 AM
Hmmm, it's not a huge issue, but I think moving the "report this post" button further away from the "View my journal" button would be very helpful. About half the time I go to click "view my journal," I accidentally click "report this post."

just an idea. Not exactly sure how to do it, but hey, that's why you're here. =D

Tashiketh
15th Sep 2009, 9:27 AM
porkypine, I wasn't intending to remove the favourite creators section - merely pondering removing the icon in the top right that tells you how many you have.

Shalerdude0320, In addition to what whiterider has said you also have to think about what the actual new features are that the newer vBulletins have compared to what we have here. We already have a massively optimised setup thats geared towards high traffic, with multiple split servers, memcache, and a ton of backend changes to the core vBulletin code. All of this would be lost if I was to upgrade and I'd have to do them again. We already have much improved member profile pages (when compared to stock 3.0.x) that, I think, look even better than the stock 3.7/3.8 pages. We have journals here, integrated into the profile pages. We have the download browser. We have social groups (done in a better way, in my opinion). We also have increased security and full logging of key actions (passwords, logins, etc) that don't exist even in the newer systems.

So, really, about the only thing that this site lacks that I would consider adding is the whole social networking thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc). Everything else we've either already done, don't need to do, or wouldn't fit in with the site anyway.

Just upgrading for upgradings sake is not gonna happen. :)

Simonut There are already multiple places to Thank a download -on the Overview tab there are 2 places, then one on the Download tab, and now yet another on the bottom bar. I really do NOT want to spam Thanks buttons all over the place - well, no more than we currently have anyway.

Rapsheba555 Thats a good idea, but it makes me look at the general way the post bits are and go "ugh" and then I want to change them around. :)

ellacharmed
15th Sep 2009, 10:36 AM
That was quick! the report this post link is now beside the post#.

I think that does look much better - more intuitive position than below the posters' name and info.

I second (or third...?) the request for the filter to be check boxes instead of radio buttons on the build/buy mode category. If I want new meshes, I'd like to see what recolors are available too (for non-CASt items)

I just noticed the posts count too!

Rapsheba555
15th Sep 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for moving it. :D

HystericalParoxysm
15th Sep 2009, 12:38 PM
"Click here to view this page on Sims2Wiki" - we have a surplus of 2s. Anyone want some discount 2s?

lewjen
15th Sep 2009, 6:02 PM
Anyone want some discount 2s?
How much, then? ;)

Sims3Addicted
15th Sep 2009, 8:06 PM
What I would like to see changed that is related to the site, is the moderators (well some of them), having a little more patience with us.

I don't mean any disrespect, nor mean to start a bitching session ... let's get that straight, but I *do* think it's important the moderators give us a bit of a break at times.

This thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=370417) is a perfect example.

I'm not attacking you Callistra, but because *you* didn't understand the purpose of my question, you closed my thread, which disables my ability to comment and explain further. As for Pming a mod to reopen the thread, that's a waste of time.

I have sent a PM to two staff members, informing them of a mistake in the creator guidelines, just for reference so you guys can fix it, and both times I was ignored.

I understand you are all busy, and the world doesn't revolve around me, but I read everywhere on this forum how being polite can go a long way, how much you want members to contribute, how to read the FAQ's before asking questions and so on, and when I DID offer information on an error it was ignored, so PM a mod? Uhuh.

As for the closing of that thread. You were SO quick to close it, and get the issue out of the way, that I either have to slink back into my hole feeling like an idiot because I can't explain, or resort to posting a message like this with the chance of being flamed, banned, or made to look like a complaining bitch.

So yes, I'd like to see the moderators give us a break. We start threads for a reason. At least give us a chance to respond/explain before you close them on us and/or give us short, arrogant replies. We're trying our best to do things right.

Tashiketh
15th Sep 2009, 8:09 PM
Sims3Addicted, since you didn't actually WANT help (and you said as much), why post in the Help forum? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Staff as a whole obviously have to lock threads, and especially where it's obvious that the thread is either being derailed, is spam, or is posted in a help section without wanting help, then it's in the best interests of the site overall and the time and effort spent helping people who actually need help for threads like yours to be locked. You might have considered it too quick, but really, you said in your second post you didn't want help, so I really don't see that the thread could have gone anywhere.

I didn't see anything "arrogant" about any of Callistras posts in that thread and I think that it was perfectly acceptable to lock it after your post saying you said you didn't want help. A help forum with lots of people who dont want help just wastes the time of the staff and helpers who actually do spend time in answering questions.

As for Creator Guidelines - the staff have ultimate say. You might see something that you believe needs "fixing" but if the staff don't agree then it doesn't get changed. :) Also, some mods are inactive, and PMing them might not get you anywhere. If you don't understand something in the guidelines, then post in Creator Issues - thats what the forum is there for, as indicated in all of the rejection/changes required messages. :)

Also, this thread is NOT about how the site is run in terms of moderators - it's about technical improvements to the site, as mentioned in the first post. Please keep any posts on that subject, and not on how you think the site should be run and how the staff should act. That is what PM is for. :)

Thank you.

Sims3Addicted
15th Sep 2009, 8:21 PM
*sighs*. I didn't want TECHNICAL help with my PC. I did want help to determine where the problem may lay. Anyway, it clearly doesn't matter.

As for the creator guidelines. I really don't care if they get changed. I was trying to help, as I keep reading you guys want. An acknowledgment I bothered really isn't hard, as appose to deliberate ignoring.

And finally, I didn't mean Callistra was arrogant. I meant that in general.

And ok on the other. I'm done now, but I needed to explain that.

lewjen
15th Sep 2009, 8:42 PM
This might not happen, but would it be possible to delete posts in your own download threads? Personally, I've never had to do this, but when this might get out of hand (which I've seen on other download threads) it may be useful than waiting for a mod, and letting it continue, and progressinvley get worse...
I can almost garauntee this won't happen... but, it's worth a try asking :)

Nysha
15th Sep 2009, 9:03 PM
If things start to get out of hand in any thread, anywhere - report one of the posts, and explain the situation in the report reason. The majority of reports are dealt with within a few hours of them being sent, and a mod telling people to cut it the hell out has more weight than a creator doing so.

In addition, we do keep tabs on troublemakers - and if someone is kicking up shit in threads, the staff need to be aware of it; so that we can decide if it gets to the point where someone needs a warning or a clip upside the head.

FreakOfKulture
15th Sep 2009, 9:27 PM
I would like to see a Sims 3 Search box under the downloads tab, and properly label the searchbox now as for sims 2. I didn't notice the Sims 3 searchbox on the main page of the Sims 3 downloads until yesterday. :jest:

fanseelamb
15th Sep 2009, 9:42 PM
lewjen: You're right, that can't happen. Too many people would abuse that power. Some would delete valid reports of technical issues, others would delete kindly worded suggestions, and some would delete replies they just don't like for whatever random reason. It's best to leave post deleting to the moderators to keep things running smoothly. Problematic posts should be reported as whiterider says. :)

FreakOfKulture: The download search actually defaults to whatever game is set as the default in your user options. You can go to User Tools/Edit Options to change your default. It's in the "Download Browsing" box, and the text you're looking for reads "If you want to default the Download Browser to show either TS3 or TS2 downloads, select which here:" Just choose Sims 3 and wait a few minutes for the change to take effect. Alternately, you can click the little "Switch to Sims 3" icon in the top right corner of the screen if you wind up with Sims 2 search results.

daluved1
15th Sep 2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know if this is still an issue because I haven't been paying attention, but can you make it so that you can select multiple age categories in uploads? Because I believe right now if you want to upload a set of oh...let's say eyebrows, that are enabled for teens, adults and elder you can only pick one age group to classify the entire upload. So maybe make the catergorization stage a check list?

Like I said, this might have been changed already, so if it has then sorry for the life waster :)

GothicGyrl
15th Sep 2009, 10:57 PM
I have not read all the pages of posts, but I have one suggestion, only one. And I am kind of embarrassed about it because I am not stupid. :)

Can we please make one section in the discussion forums clearly labeled "HELP HOW THE LLJLJLKJOIU DO I DO THIS?" :) I spent over an hour last night searching forums for the answer to my dumb question when I finally posted out of frustration, and in a matter of minutes someone had the very thing I was looking for.

I simply cannot get the hang of where threads for questions are located. It's really difficult to sift through.

Okay--that was your "dumb post" for the day. Go ahead and laugh at me. I can't be the only one because I see a lot of moved threads :)

Darkwolf Jr
15th Sep 2009, 11:40 PM
One problem I have noticed is with corrupted files. The problem is that some times when downloading a file an unseen error will happen making the file useless.

The best way that I know to fix it is just to redownload the file. It seems that a lot of people don't know about this and end up PMing the creator about it.

So pretty much what I am asking if you could add information about this to the Download FAQs and Install Instructions.

Note: This problem is not just an MTS issue I have seen it on many other websites and it can happen to any file type.

Tashiketh
15th Sep 2009, 11:45 PM
GothicGyrl, Discussion forums should be for discussion, not help - and indeed if you post a help question in the discussion forums it will get moved to the help forum. :) If you want help with stuff, we have the help dropdown. :)

daluved1, It's not possible with the current system to select multiple categories unless it's a filter (like with the pattern in-game category). While it's technically possible to remove the actual categories and re-assign everything to a filter, this would be a massive amount of work for a problem that only affects percentage wise very few uploads.

Darkwolf Jr I'm fairly sure we have something about re-downloading in the download FAQs anyway. :)

GothicGyrl
16th Sep 2009, 12:48 AM
Delphy--this is what I meant.. the help section is not very helpful. I searched this entire site looking for what was found in a matter of seconds, by someone else. The place I was linked to (on this site) was not found within any section I searched. So how were they able to locate it?

That's my problem, the help section just isn't very clear. That's all.

Canoodle
16th Sep 2009, 1:01 AM
Actually, I looked at your post. It was a create question. If you had clicked on the create link on the nav bar, you would have seen the creator guidelines. That is where you find all the information about uploading. Also, there is a search box. You can search the site and the wiki quite easily from the search drop down. :)

GothicGyrl
16th Sep 2009, 1:12 AM
Actually, I looked at your post. It was a create question. If you had clicked on the create link on the nav bar, you would have seen the creator guidelines. That is where you find all the information about uploading. Also, there is a search box. You can search the site and the wiki quite easily from the search drop down. :)

Previous posts, yes. This latest one was were to find certain files on my computer for making them into package files for uploading. However, if that is what qualifies as a "create" question, then so be it. I know from here on out. :)

I did and do use the search the site part and the wiki. In fact, checked those areas 3 times before I posted. I knew all about the creator guidelines (am working on a house now) but did not think that my question asking how to make a lot a package file was creating. BUT... but... I see this now. :)

(and I just now clued in to the "auto link" feature. I did not realize it would auto link me to the section based on key words. :up: )

Deatherella
16th Sep 2009, 8:18 AM
I'm not sure if my question is what you were looking for in this thread, but are we ever going to get our gold stars back from winning contests, etc? So far, only creators get "accomplishments".

VladCrau
16th Sep 2009, 12:21 PM
I have a "little" request: how about an update on the SimsWiki? I mean, it's happened to me several times that, when I look for a particular item there, I apparently find it and follow the link, only to discover the item itself or the site that was hosting it has vanished. Or, if it was an item from MTS, the thread has been deleted or something.
Can you do something about my request?

HystericalParoxysm
16th Sep 2009, 12:19 PM
Vlad - That's being done, but it's a long and slow process. If you like, you're welcome to help - the Content Lists are user-editable. :)

VladCrau
16th Sep 2009, 12:28 PM
Oh... Okay, HP. Didn't knew you guys (and girls!) were already working on that. I'll see if I can help around the Wiki.

So I'm just supposed to remove the items that no longer exist? Or can I add other items, if I happen to come across them?

daluved1
16th Sep 2009, 1:27 PM
Oh... Okay, HP. Didn't knew you guys (and girls!) were already working on that. I'll see if I can help around the Wiki.

So I'm just supposed to remove the items that no longer exist? Or can I add other items, if I happen to come across them?

If I come across a broken link I first try to see if I can fix it (i.e. the site might have moved), if I can't then I mark it with "@Broken Link/Purged/Site Down/[email protected]"

joninmobile
16th Sep 2009, 2:58 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, but how about this:

A new section in the downloads to show both sims 2 and sims 3 when browsing, as well as the choice of either sims 2 or sims 3. A lot of people have both games and would like to easily browse content for them both at the same time on the same page.

Tashiketh
16th Sep 2009, 4:50 PM
jonin: Err, the "choice of either Sims 2 or Sims 3" is already on the site. :)

lewjen
16th Sep 2009, 7:45 PM
Maybe at the top of the site issues page, you could have that 'Frequently Asked Site Issues (Read before posting!)' link In bright red and add announcement in red too. That way, people might actually read it.

Nysha
16th Sep 2009, 9:09 PM
It also shows up, in full, on the new thread page. Seriously, when you've been doing this as long as we have, you give up on the idea of people reading.

SimsShine
16th Sep 2009, 9:43 PM
I don't know if someone also noticed this, but I've found another 'MTS2' at : User Tools --> My Mts2.

Could you change it into My MTS?

Thanks!

ps. : I love the new changes! :D

joninmobile
16th Sep 2009, 9:52 PM
jonin: Err, the "choice of either Sims 2 or Sims 3" is already on the site. :)

No what I meant was add to the choice of either sims 2 or 3, both. That way you can still have either/or, but you can also have both sims 2 and sims 3 on the same page.

1ove
16th Sep 2009, 9:59 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but new users seem to have major difficulties with searching and finding the tutorials. I see posts every single day, "How do I mesh?" and "Where can I find a 2x2 house?" (A lot of this stuff is easy, just search and go.) I do not know you would go about doing it, but you may want to revamp the menu.

GeneralOperationsDirector
16th Sep 2009, 10:17 PM
What happened to the "First New Post" link that was in the Downloads Threads` non-scrolling footer the other day? That was worth its weight in platinum!

Tashiketh
16th Sep 2009, 11:22 PM
1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague)

I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.

Seriously though, even when we DO put in big letters threads or announcements on how to find information, people STILL ignore it. Theres only so much we can do you know.

joninmobile: To be honest, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about mixing both TS2 and TS3 downloads together like that.

GeneralOD: I removed it. :) Since, well, it didn't work if you weren't already looking at the comments tab.

helaene
17th Sep 2009, 2:59 AM
First off, huge thanks to you (as always) for creating and maintain this awesome site!

1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague). I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.
I think what she was getting at is that tutorials within those sections are actually very difficult to find - and I agree. It would be really really great if we just stickie'd the 'featured' or most up-to-date tutorials and tools in those main sections. I would love to help organize this, if you'd like the help.

joninmobile: To be honest, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about mixing both TS2 and TS3 downloads together like that.
I'm not either, as I find it very hard to tell which content is for which game from the thumbnail quickly. Some people photoshop their thumbnails quite a bit, have low graphics card quality, zoom in very tight, etc...

- - - - - - - - -

not really a suggestion, but an offer. i do css design for a living, and would really love to give the site a new/updated look. I very quickly started to create a user stylesheet tonight, just to see how much I could do without true code access, and it makes a big difference (screenshot: http://www.helaene.com/mts_custom01.jpg). I hope you're not offended by the offer...I could at least maybe offer you a few additional themes.

thank you again!

<3 helaene

Rikachu
17th Sep 2009, 3:58 AM
Not really a suggestion, but I've been wondering, why is the "Click here if this Download breaks site rules" button even there? Isn't that what the mod queue is for?

Nysha
17th Sep 2009, 3:58 AM
Sometimes things slip through moderation, sometimes uploaders edit their uploads after approval - it never hurts to have an extra layer of protection. :)

daluved1
17th Sep 2009, 4:09 AM
I think what she was getting at is that tutorials within those sections are actually very difficult to find - and I agree. It would be really really great if we just stickie'd the 'featured' or most up-to-date tutorials and tools in those main sections. I would love to help organize this, if you'd like the help.

You can find all the tutorials (in neat little subsections) in the Create -> Sims 3 -> Modding Overview page.

Although I think Modding Overview should be changed to TS3 tutorials, because right now it sounds like a section for game coding and mods, not modding/tutorials in general. IMO, a name change would help a lot, especially for those who don't know where to look when searching for tutorials.

Edit - I noticed the revamp of the Edit Profile page, it looks spiffy ;)

Tashiketh
17th Sep 2009, 12:22 PM
helaene,

Thanks for the offer, and the screenshot. :) I think that, generally, the main... reticence... I have in doing new styles is mostly becuase the site is so old that there are multiple different styles in effect.

For example:
- The front page uses the "Tabbed" style boxy look, as do the Download browser pages
- The boxouts also have this "Tabbed" look
- Quick Reply, Currently Active Users, don't have a Tabbed look and are instead straight bars across
- Journals and Profile pages use an older style - a straight bar across with a black border.
- Articles (like Stories and Tutorials) use a straight bar in a lighter colour but without the black border

So, to homogenise the site would be quite a bit of work. Additionally, getting matching colours to work has always been quite tricky, and there is also the fact that some stuff uses hard coded styles (like the Thanks button area and the "Members also thanked..." box).

With that said, I do keep thinking about generally "modernising" the look and feel of the site, and I've tried to do this as best I can like with the front page, the use of AJAX and jQuery and so on, but theres a lot of stuff to change. :)

I'm also quite stubborn in terms of how *I* want the site to look. While I do like the look of your layout, it reminds me a lot of the old "rounded corners" look which I removed a while back.

I'd rather do something new, fresh and exciting - but still within the limitations - for example, the Ad box must be "above the fold" and can't be pushed down off the screen, plus I want the full navbar at the top, etc.

lewjen
17th Sep 2009, 6:02 PM
I think it's a good idea for Delphy to update his signature :)

*Gets in Bat mobile and drives as fast as possible*

bimba84ab
17th Sep 2009, 6:57 PM
it can be useful to sort our favorite downloads by categories, not only by last update, especially for people with tons of favorite downloads.... ^_^"

Petchy
17th Sep 2009, 7:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, and the screenshot. :) I think that, generally, the main... reticence... I have in doing new styles is mostly becuase the site is so old that there are multiple different styles in effect.
- Articles (like Stories and Tutorials) use a straight bar in a lighter colour but without the black border......With that said, I do keep thinking about generally "modernising" the look and feel of the site, and I've tried to do this as best I can like with........I'm also quite stubborn in terms of how *I* want the site to look. While I do like the look of your layout, it reminds me a lot of the old "rounded corners" look which I removed a while back.

(Yea, I just wanted to give a feel of your post so I just hacked at bits to make it smaller :D)

HI DELPHY!

New site theme would be seriously awesome, but I totally know of the amounts of effort it would entail. In an ideal world, I'd love to have a little swatch at the bottom with about 5 or 6 different colours and having the entire site with the same theme... but, alas, the coding for that would be.. Stupid, Crazy, Imminence, and probably not worth the effort! This isn't MySpace, you know!!

However, "modernizing" or "updating" the layout and positions/shapes/whatever about this place would, for me, be a great addition. I agree that the old Curved Edges that you took off awhile ago was.. rough around the edges [lol] and I like the more sharp lined look - however, I find a few places slightly looking on the outdated side, which is more than inevitable for a site this big (and this old!)
It might be impossible, but to have a forum view like that of Sims2Community would be awesome - I made THIS (http://i26.tinypic.com/10qla55.jpg) as a possible (*thumbnail*) idea that you might like - or something along those lines.

Colours I'd love to see are: Green; [darker?] Greyscale; PurpleyPlum; and Orange.

I also had another point.. But I forgot it when I started editing the image x) :anime:

Elizabella
17th Sep 2009, 8:45 PM
First of all thanks for this awesome site! It's made me be so muchmore creative and step out of my comfort zone and actually learn to create things.

A couple of suggestions - If there was a way, if you've started a thread, that you could be emailed when a reply occurs that would be great. Not that it's the end of the world if I keep logging into CFF to see what's happening but when your thread is on the 4th page, well it takes a while.

A way to "nudge" members or threads. I'm ok with bumping being bad but again if your thread is on the 3rd or 4th page I think some people give up on the thread and it would be nice to be able to send sort of a general reminder like remember me...

When there are challenges or official contests, if there could be a checkmark in the upload process that you want to submit this upload for that challenge or contest. I was working on two projects I think for the 5th anniversary challenge and I don't think it was ever recorded because on my user profile it says I haven't entered any challenge.

edit: Also I really miss the downloaded items list. It was really useful when uploading so you could easily check various custom content.

and also when you are the creator of a thread and you post something new...if there was an easy way to have change the title of the thread, instead of needing to edit the first post all the time.

All of these things are really minor and if you did nothing to this site, it would still be the best out there! Sorry for all the notes :blink:

thegrimtuesday
17th Sep 2009, 9:18 PM
I really enjoyed the lists of things i'd downloaded. would it be possible to bring that back? perhaps with limits on it (as in only show whats been downloaded by an individual in the past month or 6 weeks) to ease server strain? that was an excellent feature. it really helped to see who'd been thanked already.

17th Sep 2009, 9:43 PM
GeneralOD: I removed it. :) Since, well, it didn't work if you weren't already looking at the comments tab.Odd. I`m pretty sure that the one time I actually used it, before it vanished and I couldn`t use it again, was on the Overview tab of the relavent thread. Then again, I *do* have the site set to automaticaly load the Comments tab for me. Might that have made a difference? At any rate, I`d love to have it back.

1ove
18th Sep 2009, 1:25 AM
1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague)

I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.

Seriously though, even when we DO put in big letters threads or announcements on how to find information, people STILL ignore it. Theres only so much we can do you know.

I was able to find it right away, so scratch that off!

I don't know what it should look like, but it seems like it's either really complex or people are blind. What should you guys do instead? Sidebars? Giant letters as a menu? I'm not sure.

I would be frustrated after having to troop through, whatever thousands of members on a fansite a day, too. You can't please everyone.

QBUILDERZ
18th Sep 2009, 2:49 AM
When there are challenges or official contests, if there could be a checkmark in the upload process that you want to submit this upload for that challenge or contest. I was working on two projects I think for the 5th anniversary challenge and I don't think it was ever recorded because on my user profile it says I haven't entered any challenge.

This is because, if you read the thread, it wasn't a real challenge, so no icons ;)

Elizabella
18th Sep 2009, 7:20 AM
Oh that's ok, it was fun anyway!

Tashiketh
18th Sep 2009, 9:11 AM
Elizabella, you can subscribe to a thread so that it'll appear in your user control panel, rather than having to manually look in the forum itself. See the Thread Tools menu. :)

Bumping threads is generally frowned upon - people still do it, but often they bump a thread thats only hours or even minutes old, thus, it's discouraged.

thegrimtuesday, the My Downloads page actually did only show the last 30 days or so of history, becuase otherwise there'd be way too much data to show.

Elizabella
18th Sep 2009, 6:04 PM
Delphy, yeah I do that but it still doesn't notify you, it's just me being completely lazy :) - No worries

lewjen
18th Sep 2009, 8:10 PM
Elizabella - If this is any help, you could edit your profile (change at your will, or don't change anything) click 'save changes' and add the next page to your 'quick links' :)

Hope that atleast helped you :)

Digitalchaos
18th Sep 2009, 8:21 PM
What about adding an "Updates" tab to download threads, so that an uploader can post information about changes made to a download (i.e. changelog) so they won't have to crowd thier main post or the comments?

-- Digitalchaos

MissingStudios
18th Sep 2009, 8:30 PM
I think all of the features on MTS are great. The next step for MTS in my opinion is a slightly updated theme as the current is quite basic. I'd be happy to give some ideas, but I believe you are not interested in altering the theme at this time. The only problem I can see from doing this is that the server load would bump up a bit.

Tashiketh
18th Sep 2009, 8:51 PM
Elizabella - If this is any help, you could edit your profile (change at your will, or don't change anything) click 'save changes' and add the next page to your 'quick links' :)

Hope that atleast helped you :)

Err, the next page after editing your profile is the User Control Panel, which you can get through User Tools anyway...

lewjen
18th Sep 2009, 8:59 PM
Yoinks, I never noticed that. Thanks for the tip Delphy...!

Tashiketh
18th Sep 2009, 8:56 PM
MissingStudios: Adding a theme wont increase server load - it will, however, increase my time and effort to do it. ;) Considering that a number of people have suggested new themes, why not go ahead and put a thread in Site Issues and you can talk about it there, and others can chip in? Then I can say yay or nay, or at least have it on the back burner.

Digitalchaos: While thats certainly a nice idea, it would require a place to actually store the "updates" in the database. What you could do, though, is what I have done with CTU and other programs - use the [ infobutton ] vbcode to hide the changes behind a spoiler, and use [ header 1 ] to highlight it. Like so:

Changelog

- Changed blah to meep
- Changed meep to stuff
- Changed stuff to blah

MissingStudios
18th Sep 2009, 9:11 PM
MissingStudios: Adding a theme wont increase server load - it will, however, increase my time and effort to do it. ;) Considering that a number of people have suggested new themes, why not go ahead and put a thread in Site Issues and you can talk about it there, and others can chip in? Then I can say yay or nay, or at least have it on the back burner.

Okay - I'll give it a shot :) You will see the new thread within a few days

Sims3Addicted
18th Sep 2009, 10:19 PM
Would it be possible to be able to filter between Sims 2 and Sims 3 threads in the Creator Feedback Forum?

If we could have an option to see either one or both at our choosing, that would be wonderful.

18th Sep 2009, 10:21 PM
^^Seconded^^

Tashiketh
18th Sep 2009, 10:33 PM
Would it be possible to be able to filter between Sims 2 and Sims 3 threads in the Creator Feedback Forum?

If we could have an option to see either one or both at our choosing, that would be wonderful.

You already can. Each thread is tagged with a Sims 3 or Sims 2 category. You can click on that (or use the dropdown at the bottom) to only show threads in that one category.

Sims3Addicted
18th Sep 2009, 10:53 PM
Oh wow, so you can! Thank you for the tip.

Ghost sdoj
19th Sep 2009, 12:22 AM
This is kind of minor, but since we have a community tab at the top of most of the pages where S2C is being mentioned anyway (I don't go to Downloads, so I don't know if you see it there or not, but you do get it everywhere else) Do we really still need a quick link for it?

Tashiketh
19th Sep 2009, 12:27 AM
Ghost: What do you mean quick link? If you mean the links that appear in the "My Links" menu - well, those are ones you yourself add in.

MissingStudios
19th Sep 2009, 1:14 AM
@Delphy: I've posted my suggestion: here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=370902&goto=newpost&posted=1#post2858398). :) Hope you like it.

FlipGuardian
19th Sep 2009, 1:52 AM
I'm not really sure if this has been suggested or not but this is my suggestion: In the 'Create' Tab we have 'Creating for...' then Sims 2/3 etc. Then under Sims 3 there's 'Specific Sections' like: Building, Pattern, etc. Can we have the same for downloads?
For exampled under Downloads>Sims 3 we can have the sub categories:
Sims
Patterns
Lots & Housing
Create-a-Sim
Buy Mode
Build Mode
Game Mods
Miscellaneous
Programs and Utilities
MTS' Top Items

Instead of having to go to the Downloads page then clicking a sub category. But still be able to click the 'Download' button and have the original Download page that shows most recent downloadable items.

Nysha
19th Sep 2009, 1:59 AM
You mean like this?

http://www.modyourpanties.com/images/090918195834-menu.jpg

:p .

FlipGuardian
19th Sep 2009, 2:13 AM
You mean like this?

http://www.modyourpanties.com/images/090918195834-menu.jpg

:p .

That makes sense. I never noticed that. :lol:

ZimZ
19th Sep 2009, 3:15 AM
I don't know if this has already been said but.. you know how you can change colours on your page but only if you have 10 uploads or more?I think maybe it should be 5 uploads or more? I don't know was just wondering.

daluved1
19th Sep 2009, 3:26 AM
I don't know if this has already been said but.. you know how you can change colours on your page but only if you have 10 uploads or more?I think maybe it should be 5 uploads or more? I don't know was just wondering.

I think that'd upset those who worked really hard to get 10+ accepted uploads ;)

{okay not really....but whatever}

supaclova
19th Sep 2009, 4:01 AM
Hmmm I was just thinking about this the other day...could we have a link or a button that takes us to a random download? It would be nice because most of the time when I download, I'm not looking for a specific thing. :)

Also, I don't know if this is just me, but when I'm on a creator's profile and they have a bunch of different categories of downloads, and I just want to look at Body Shop, so I click on the Body Shop link, and it brings me to the page that SHOULD have all the Body Shop downloads from this creator, it shows absolutely nothing.

Did that make any sense? I'm having a hard time explaining.

daluved1
19th Sep 2009, 4:04 AM
Wow superclova, great minds think alike! I was just about to edit my post to ask about that.

Canoodle
19th Sep 2009, 4:32 AM
It shows nothing because you have got your default set to sims 2 or 3. Click on the Sims2 or Sims3 Icon. Then you can see the downloads in the category. The uploader probably only has Sims2 bodyshop stuff. You have to be browsing the correct game. I was puzzled at first also, when we added the Sims3 downloads. :p

supaclova
19th Sep 2009, 4:41 AM
Oh ok. Haha, now that I think about it, that's kinda obvious.

tlynnjpeg
19th Sep 2009, 6:09 AM
Here's a small one:

Until this thread, I had no idea about "My Links". And I had to search around to figure out what on earth people were talking about. When I finally found the "Edit Quick Links" page and added a link, suddenly, the "My Links" showed up.

Could it be made to show even if you have no links, and just have the "Edit My Links" option? I would have been using it for some time now had even I known it existed. And having an empty menu sitting there would have shown it as an option.

Rapsheba555
19th Sep 2009, 10:02 AM
Hmmm, this is just a random thought, but I think it might help communication. How about a little mood icon that appears just below the user's userpic and info on a post? It would work similarly to the icons for topics, but since you can't see the icons for replies (even though the option is still there?) it might be useful so that people can tell what your mood was when posting, mainly so that they can more accurately judge what may seem to be a harsh statement or what-have-you. Perhaps the already-existing post icon system could be in some way cloned and modified to work with each individual post, and with more emoticon-like images (IE: "Mood: happy/sad/angry/thoughtful/calm/etc.")

I know sometimes I have trouble telling soemone's mood from their post, so this might be helpful, at least to me. just an idea though.

lewjen
19th Sep 2009, 11:01 AM
Or maybe *when posting the comment* you choose the mood you're in at that time.
Unless of course that's what you meant and I missunderstood.

Tashiketh
19th Sep 2009, 11:11 AM
Rapsheba, lewjen: I have 4 words for you.

This is not Livejournal.

tlynnjpeg, Hrm thats probably a good idea.

Ghost sdoj
19th Sep 2009, 6:57 PM
Ghost: What do you mean quick link? If you mean the links that appear in the "My Links" menu - well, those are ones you yourself add in.

No, I mean like this one: S2C

joninmobile
19th Sep 2009, 7:38 PM
I'd like to see more creator challenges. This one going on now, didn't really strike me as a "real" challenge. I remember the days when creator challenges were very commonplace here, and we all had a lot of fun with them.

Tashiketh
19th Sep 2009, 8:01 PM
joninmobile: Thats not a technical suggestion. ;)

Ghost: Okay I understand. Thats an auto-link, and as you mention, theres already a bunch of info pointing to the community section, so the S2C autolink is history now.

ABCRic
19th Sep 2009, 9:01 PM
Some problems on the Links bar.
Here is the My Feedback page, where the bar has a white background:
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/13346_090919144908screen2.jpg
And here is the Upload items page, where the bar doesn't show at all.
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/13347_090919145100screen3.jpg
Also, in the upload page the box with our message count and icon things when we're signed in doesn't show up, but I think it should.
And you put more stuff on the bottom toolbar! Shiny!

Tashiketh
19th Sep 2009, 10:53 PM
The upload wizard has not had a navbar for, well, a very long time... this is deliberate. :)

Echo
20th Sep 2009, 11:52 AM
Hmm... I'd love to have a print media target in the css for the tutorials forum. There's always the archive view, but that doesn't show inline pictures which are quite important for tutorial threads.

What I'd love is a tutorial print-view which had the author details at the top, then the tutorial sensibly wrapped down the length of the page (without the floating menu bars showing up on each page or the persistent empty left column from the user details).

Yes, I still print out tutorials. They make for good train reading material! :D

Tashiketh
20th Sep 2009, 12:25 PM
Echo: Do you mean threads or articles?

Echo
20th Sep 2009, 12:30 PM
Well I was thinking threads, hadn't really considered articles. Aren't articles an alternative view of threads?

Exxy
20th Sep 2009, 1:32 PM
I was looking at the Spore community site before, and I saw that members there can have their own personal picture threads (http://www.thesporecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58) for Spore and Sims pictures. I think that it's a really good idea, and I was just wondering if there could be something along those lines over here?

Tashiketh
20th Sep 2009, 2:59 PM
- Member profile pages now have the "Show All" and the individual sections changed so they return all downloads across both games, not just using the default
- The download browser has been modified to allow it to show all downloads for both games when applicable
- The sidebar on the dowload browser now has the option to search "All" games (ie TS2 and TS3)

Echo: Yes, but I can add a seperate stylesheet to articles too. Not so easy for threads since you dont want a "tutorial" style printable view for a normal thread.

Exxy: We don't have a "personal" picture thing here - instead we have the categories in the Sim Pictures forum. However, that was one of the things that came up in a staff meeting a while back, so it might get added sometime.

Zoltic
20th Sep 2009, 4:54 PM
Hello,

First of all sorry for my poor english, I'm french. :)
Secondly : Thank you for this site. Very high level and nearly complete.

Thirdly : As we are in a "suggestions thread" maybe could it be interresting for new players to have some "tricks" not on the game itself, but from the experience of the "old" players and how start a good and not to hard game. After that everybody can do as he want but if the the new player knows some details of the game he can have many pleasure before trying harder challenges.

As I'm not a man who only wait from other, if you agree (and if somebody can verify my english terms) I could start and write some "experiences" and some advices for new players.

In two words this proposition is a "Newbee's corner".

Have a good day and a good game.

daluved1
20th Sep 2009, 5:05 PM
Hello,

First of all sorry for my poor english, I'm french. :)
Secondly : Thank you for this site. Very high level and nearly complete.

Thirdly : As we are in a "suggestions thread" maybe could it be interresting for new players to have some "tricks" not on the game itself, but from the experience of the "old" players and how start a good and not to hard game. After that everybody can do as he want but if the the new player knows some details of the game he can have many pleasure before trying harder challenges.

As I'm not a man who only wait from other, if you agree (and if somebody can verify my english terms) I could start and write some "experiences" and some advices for new players.

In two words this proposition is a "Newbee's corner".

Have a good day and a good game.

Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but there's already a Sims Discussion page found here:

http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=579

They have general topics on the sims game, but I believe I've seen a thread or too about neat tips and tricks.

And also on the wiki in the Gameplay Guides section, there's a tips/tricks/cheats section as well ;) That can be found here:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Gameplay_Guides

Zoltic
20th Sep 2009, 5:54 PM
Thank you for a so fast answer.

I saw this sections, but it is not what I have in the head. Sorry, it is not very easy for me to explain in english.
In fact I thought about something like :

At the beggining it is better to choose good bed than good couch because your sim can stay on his bed to read cumfortably but can't sleep very good on a couch.
Same, choose a good refrigerator because it is same price if you prepare for 1 or for 8 and time to time you have no time to prepare a good dinner. Prepared meats are not so efficient than cooking. So you must preserve your food as long as possible.

But not exactly under this form. I thought about some scenarii with explanations of why players choose this kind of sim or/and this employment or/and this end project,..... and how to have the better in each situation.

Or something like "stories of sims" but with many explanations about why the player (writer) choose this or that option to progress.

Maybe this kind of "post" can be writed in existant part of the site. But I didn't find where. :)

PS : My American is not better than my English. Sorry. :)

FeNerd
20th Sep 2009, 6:56 PM
This isn't so much a suggestion, but a comment. Someone may have already pointed it out though.

When in the Sims 3 doownload section, if you click on the featured item link or the MTS' Top Items link, it takes you to the Sims 2 section.

I'd love to be able to browse the Sims 3 top items like you can in the Sims 2 section.

Tashiketh
20th Sep 2009, 7:32 PM
fenerd: You can. Just click the icon in the top right. The one with the Sims 3 logo. :)

FeNerd
20th Sep 2009, 9:01 PM
umm, I know that button is there but I don't think I am explaining what I mean well, try this:

If you go to the Sims 2 main download page there are 2 buttons:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/malibubbles/Sims2main.jpg

which when clicked take you to the featured items for Sims 2:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/malibubbles/Sims2top.jpg

BUT in the Sims 3 section, there are the Same 2 buttons:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/malibubbles/Sims3main.jpg

but clicking either takes you to a sims 2 top items page, not Sims 3:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/malibubbles/sims3notfeat.jpg

and clicking the switch to Sims 3 logo in the top right just takes you back to the MAIN Sims 3 page:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/malibubbles/sims3main2.jpg

I can't find any links that take you to JUST featured downloads for Sims 3... or am I being really thick and missing something (quite likely)?

Sheldrake
21st Sep 2009, 2:31 AM
I think that the site is great, but here's something I'd like to see implemented

In my days of playing MMO Private Servers, I noticed that many of them have a chatroom hosted by a site called "Xat". This is a site where people can get their own custom chatrooms for free. The best thing about this is that you can either have it hosted off their site, or get the code to put it onto MTS. I think that this would be great for MTS because among other features (including games, a chat radio, etc), you have 4 levels of users:

Main Owners:
Can premote/demote Moderators and Owners.
Can turn guests into members, and vice-versa.
Can kick users from chat.
Can ban users from chat from 0 hours to forever.

Owners:
Can premote/demote Moderators.
Can appoint Owners.
Can ban users from chat from 0 hours to forever.

Moderators:
Can ban users from chat for up to 6 hours (not sure on the exact number of hours for this).

Members:
Pretty much just a normal user.

Guests:
Depending on the settings of the chat, a guest may or may not be able to speak in chat. If they can't, they can PM a Moderator/Owner about making them a member.

If Delphy implements this, I think it would be a great step for MTS. If this cannot be implemented, then I understand.

-Sheldrake

plasticbox
21st Sep 2009, 3:24 AM
We already have a chat, are you aware of that? It's in (top level menu) Community > Live Chat.

joninmobile
21st Sep 2009, 3:35 AM
I noticed just now, when browsing in the downloads/Shiny Stuff/Top items section at the link at the top of the page, it only shows sims 2 downloads, and when you click the show sims 3 items to the upper right hand corner it shows all sims 3 downloads regular and everything. Perhaps adding to that section downloads/Shiny Stuff/ Top items/ Sims 2/ Sims 3.

Tashiketh
21st Sep 2009, 3:44 AM
FeNrd / Joninmobile: On the sidebar, select Sims 2 (or Sims 3). Uncheck "Normal downloads". Click Filter. Then you have a list of all featured (or picked) Sims 3 downloads.

I'll agree it's not that intuitive, so I'll have to fix up the code for the logo to switch properly.

Sheldrake: As plasticbox says, we already have a chat room, with various channels in it. These channels are setup by admins and run by staff. I do not believe that a model such as the one you describe is really suitable for a site like this, especially given how few people actually come into the normal chat anyway, and I will not turn this site into some teen-infested lol omg lik u no multi-drivel multi-chat site.

I really don't understand where this would be a good thing for the site as a whole. Sorry to shoot you down, but it's not the direction I want to take the site in. :)

joninmobile
21st Sep 2009, 3:52 AM
Oh and I also another thing that smaller websites use (I don't know if it would be appropriate for such a large site as mts or not) is site status. I know that insimenator.org has this. When you go to the homepage it says, we have (for example) 3,866 members. Our members have made a total of 90,899 posts.

Nysha
21st Sep 2009, 4:29 AM
We do have these stats (users online is displayed in various places, such as the top navbar); some are available, some have got eaten by years of redesigning. Every now and then we post a stats summary, which has a lot of info that can't be displayed with a normal counter.
Total users is shown on the old forums.php. We'd have to think about which statistics are useful and meaningful, and where they'd be best placed, before (re)implementing them.

joninmobile
21st Sep 2009, 5:14 AM
I know that when you click on the home tab, it shows you how many users are currently online. Why not put total users, and total posts of users there.

Rapsheba555
21st Sep 2009, 10:54 AM
Rapsheba, lewjen: I have 4 words for you.

This is not Livejournal.

tlynnjpeg, Hrm thats probably a good idea.

sorry. Then again, I have no idea what "livejournal" IS, but judging from your tone, I'm guessing you dislike it. :lol: nevermind then.

Corrie
21st Sep 2009, 11:08 AM
Raps, livejournal is something along the lines of Twitter...

Echo
21st Sep 2009, 11:22 AM
Well, it's not *quite* as bad as twitter. LJ at least allows complete and coherent sentences, even if most of its members choose not to avail themselves of the option. ;)

Tashiketh
21st Sep 2009, 12:09 PM
joninmobile: Thread, post and member count statistics are already available on the About this site page. They have been for, oh, I dunno, about 3 years. :)

lewjen
21st Sep 2009, 12:34 PM
Does it really only have 805,000 member!? I thought it'd be atleast 2 million! :blink:

Tashiketh
21st Sep 2009, 1:16 PM
lewjen: the last registered id is 3,458,050. This is the count of total registered members ever. You have to remember that I prune off old usernames every 6 months or so, or when it hits 1 million, whichever is sooner.

HystericalParoxysm
21st Sep 2009, 1:18 PM
lewjen - We've had many more than are currently registered - we prune inactive users periodically.

lewjen
21st Sep 2009, 1:44 PM
Yeah, why didn't I think of that!? Thanks both of you for your answers :)

FeNerd
21st Sep 2009, 2:22 PM
FeNrd / Joninmobile: On the sidebar, select Sims 2 (or Sims 3). Uncheck "Normal downloads". Click Filter. Then you have a list of all featured (or picked) Sims 3 downloads.

I'll agree it's not that intuitive, so I'll have to fix up the code for the logo to switch properly.

Thanks, I hadn't realised you could do that.

That was my only niggle with this site, apart from the fact I missed the window for changing usernames but that's my fault. So I can now say that, from my point of view at least you are doing a fantastic job.

Thank you Delphy and team. :Pint:

CatOfEvilGenius
21st Sep 2009, 4:40 PM
Seconding what joinmobile said about tickboxes in Advanced Filters for "new mesh", "Maxis recolor", "new mesh recolor".

In Creator Policy, I would love to have an option "You may modify my meshes, with credit".

CatOfEvilGenius
21st Sep 2009, 4:47 PM
Nevermind, those Filter checkboxes already exist, duh.

Would still like "may modify meshes" in policy, please.

(double posting because for some reason, not allowed to edit my post right now)

Elizabella
21st Sep 2009, 7:07 PM
Wow almost 3.5 million users - that is insane!

This isn't really a suggestion as much of a glitch I believe but on the Creator Feedback forum, on the bottom of the screen where it says Section Jump:

If you click on creator feedback forum it goes herehttp://modthesims.info/browse.php?f=473 instead of here http://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=473

And I have to say having the Thank Download and Add to Favorites at the bottom of the screen is simply the best. I will now be sure to thank everybody that I download where before I would sometimes forget. :blink:

21st Sep 2009, 10:29 PM
You already can. Each thread is tagged with a Sims 3 or Sims 2 category. You can click on that (or use the dropdown at the bottom) to only show threads in that one category.Does this work on the New Posts page, Delphy? As far as I am concerned, the New Posts page is ModTheSims Central.

Nysha
22nd Sep 2009, 1:40 AM
Since new posts covers the entire site, and only download threads have TS2 or TS3 categories, it'd be a bit pointless having that option on new posts, surely?

Tashiketh
22nd Sep 2009, 9:57 AM
Considering that the new posts both shows you the specific forum the thread is in (ie Sims 3 Creation -> Meshing) and also allows you to setup a view that only contains a specific set of forums (ie Sims 2), then I really don't think I need to add anything to that. :)

Jasumi
22nd Sep 2009, 3:23 PM
I might be echoing a few posters in this thread, but rather ironically, the site runs slower when the pictures are minimized as opposed to being at their native resolution. It could simply be my machine responding this way. I am using the Firefox browser.

plasticbox
22nd Sep 2009, 5:57 PM
I might be echoing a few posters in this thread, but rather ironically, the site runs slower when the pictures are minimized as opposed to being at their native resolution.
This is normal the way it works (roughly) is that the pics are downloaded as they are, then a script figures out how large your window is, then it resizes the pics so that they fit on your screen. So the amount of data being downloaded doesn't change the point of this is not to reduce traffic, it's to make sure that people with less-than-gigantic screens can see the entire picture without having to scroll.

22nd Sep 2009, 6:58 PM
Considering that the new posts both shows you the specific forum the thread is in (ie Sims 3 Creation -> Meshing) and also allows you to setup a view that only contains a specific set of forums (ie Sims 2), then I really don't think I need to add anything to that. :)Delphy, I have two New Posts views set up, one for Sims 2 stuff, and one for Sims 3 stuff. The problem is that several forums are SHARED between Sims 2 stuff and Sims 3 stuff. There *is* a tag for those forums that differentiates between the Sims 2 threads and the Sims 3 threads, BUT I CANNOT FILTER BY THAT TAG. I can only filter by FORUM. Thus my Sims 2 view is cluttered with Sims 3 threads, my Sims 3 view is cluttered by Sims 2 threads, and I have NO way to rectify the situation.

I would also like a way to prevent subscribed threads from showing up in the wrong view; as is, they always show up in all views.

....and I still want to be able to subscribe to Downloads forums on the New Posts pages....

Jasumi
22nd Sep 2009, 7:03 PM
This is normal the way it works (roughly) is that the pics are downloaded as they are, then a script figures out how large your window is, then it resizes the pics so that they fit on your screen. So the amount of data being downloaded doesn't change the point of this is not to reduce traffic, it's to make sure that people with less-than-gigantic screens can see the entire picture without having to scroll.

Oh, I see. I was wondering why the pictures would minimize only under certain monitors and not others...

joninmobile
22nd Sep 2009, 8:12 PM
I'd really like to see global policies applied to game mods, and careers. Not just meshes, recolors, lots, and sims.

SimsShine
23rd Sep 2009, 7:39 AM
Maybe you could make something so creators can see when people have written a new comment on a creation of you.

Like:

Last comments: by Simsshine @ 4:00 PM on 'Black Lingerie', by ... @ 2:46 AM on '...' etc. etc.

I love to see comments, but I don't know when I got new ones, because I don't want to view all my threads again and again to see of there are more. :lol:

Get it?

joninmobile
23rd Sep 2009, 8:40 AM
You can already do that with my mts (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=307048) or simply go to your profile page, and click on show all by last post.

Esmeralda
23rd Sep 2009, 10:58 AM
You can also go to your profile page, click on 'View My Scorecard' under your avatar, and then on the 'scorecard' page, click on 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in the left hand panel.

Tashiketh
23rd Sep 2009, 11:19 AM
SimsShine: Try the Feedback page. :) Creator menu -> My Feedback.

joninmobile: If you want to make a policy for your game mods and careers, put it in your About box.

GeneralOD: Sorry but the subscription system works only on forums, not on categories within forums. It's not possible to add this with heavy rewriting and thats not something I am going to do.

Subscribed threads show up in all views for a reason - this isn't going to change, nor is the fact you can't subscribe to downloads in new posts. :)

Sheldrake
23rd Sep 2009, 9:33 PM
Ya, I guess that there really isn't any point to something that nobody would really use. I would probably miss Chii anyways. :P

joninmobile
24th Sep 2009, 11:20 PM
How about when you search downloads it also includes the download title in the search. I know that some people put in their search terms when uploading things that don't include the download title. I think it would make searching for something specific easier to find.

fanseelamb
24th Sep 2009, 11:34 PM
The download search already searches titles, joninmobile. In fact, some threads don't have any search keywords at all. In those cases the only thing being searched is the title. :)

drachenspucke
25th Sep 2009, 2:57 AM
I may be missing something, because this place is so HUGE, so forgive me if this suggestion has been addressed before. I would like to see an easier system set in place to get the mesh that go with downloads. The links often go to the home page of a site I've never been to and have no clue how to find anything since I don't even have the name of the mesh I'm looking for. If linking to a specific file can't be done the creator content shouldn't be allowed unless they actually include the mesh. If they had permission to use the mesh in the first place I don't see the problem. Fix this and you'll have my donation.

HystericalParoxysm
25th Sep 2009, 3:08 AM
drachenspucke - We do require on uploads now that people provide a direct link whenever possible, and if not possible, to provide detailed instructions on where on the site to find it (i.e. which page and how to get there). On older uploads this may not have been a requirement. We won't require people be able to include the mesh - there are many creators that don't allow meshes being included and it wouldn't make sense to prevent people from using things when they can just say "go here, click on page 4, download the third thing" and you can get the mesh okay. If you see an upload you're unclear on where to get the mesh/which one, you can always ask in the comments and the creator (or someone else who knows) can provide guidance on where to get it.

Elizabella
25th Sep 2009, 8:08 AM
Thanks for fixing the creator feedback link on the bottom of the page :)

Simonut
25th Sep 2009, 8:51 PM
Delphy there is one suggestion that I have is it possible to change the donation heart to the color RED ? Most hearts are in the color red, plus that color would also show a members love for MTS.

25th Sep 2009, 9:13 PM
I`ve noticed that in the pop-up menus, the active clickable area only includes the text itself, not the entire highlighted area. Would you please consider fixing this, so that we can click anywhere in the highlight, not just on the text? I keep missing the text, and nothing useful happens. Since I click on the items with my middle mouse button to open them in a new tab, please make sure that any enhancement is still useable that way. Much appreciated. Thanks.

daluved1
26th Sep 2009, 12:30 AM
This more nit-picky and catty then anything, but is it possible to incite a new rule where a creator has to put some sort of descriptive title for their posts in CFF, instead of things like "My first upload!", "New lot" or "Haalp me plz!!1"? Because it can get kinda confusing when you have a bagillion people who have the same thread title (okay, maybe not that many people...but you get the idea ;))

Tashiketh
26th Sep 2009, 12:46 AM
GeneralOD: Actually, the popups do work on the highlighted area - if you use the left mouse button, and only if it's not popping out a submenu. Since middle mouse button is something PC/browser side, that only works on the active links themselves, rather than the onClick event (in the table cell).

Simonut: I think we chose the heart colour becuase it blends in well with the default colour scheme of the site. :)

daluved1: Thats already part of the rules (give it a descriptive title), I guess people just dont read them though.

arathea
26th Sep 2009, 2:45 AM
Is it possible to show the purchased EP's under the username/avatar in WCIF like they are shown in Sims2Help?
It would be much easier to get/give the proper links.

CatOfEvilGenius
26th Sep 2009, 3:52 AM
daluved1 That rule is already in creator guidelines and in the upload manager. People just don't bother to read. When giving feedback, point this out to them (politely). Maybe they'll learn.

Ghost sdoj
26th Sep 2009, 10:42 PM
Ok, I know that changing a user name is a lot of hard work and I understand why you would prefer to keep the official thread for it somewhat hidden, but since the policy has now been officially been reinstated that any name change must be accompanied by an amusing story can the thread title for name changes be changed to "Amusing Stories"? (I enjoy reading them too.)

JivaFang
26th Sep 2009, 11:33 PM
just two cents.. its all i got :)
It amazes me the cost of keeping this site running (and damn am i thankful u guys do I log in almost everyday and get something each time)

I dont know what your ad revenue is like.
but i play zynga games like mafia wars, yoville and the like and they have that annoying 'do offers for favor points' system..
ever consider doing something like that?? I dunno what you could offer other than pretty icons or maybe favor points for special requests but... I mean we all probably sign up for trial crap anyway, and i personally would do those stupid offers just because it helps MTS out and it wouldn't cost me anything.

That was my 2 cents. dont shoot me if its a dumb idea...
I appreciate this site and all the creators who keep my sims humming.

CatOfEvilGenius
27th Sep 2009, 1:23 AM
"favor points for special requests"

??? You don't mean requests from creators, do you? Most creators here don't take requests, and the site encourages folks to learn to make things themselves.

Not shooting you or anything, but I never sign up for trial crap, and I'm really glad MTS doesn't ask me to. I'm quite, quite happy with the voluntary subscription and donation system, especially the "death to ads" part for subscribers.

daluved1
27th Sep 2009, 2:07 AM
Okay this is seriously ocd/nit-picky but the little lightbulb on the banner has a thin blue line that didn't get erased I assume...can you please please fix it? It bothers my spirit :)

Sims3Addicted
27th Sep 2009, 4:30 AM
LOL Daluved1!

Can we please get the "Hello Kitty" skin fixed? I wish I knew what it was called, but I'm referring to the section between each post ... it's really really light pink and it's so hard to see the separation between each post. (It's no different on 3 PC's so I know it's not my settings).

Do you understand what section of the skin I'm talking about, or do you need a screenshot?

Nysha
27th Sep 2009, 6:15 AM
JivaFang, we've considered a similar scheme in the past (though preferably one less annoying); however since our deal with UGO doesn't allow for any other advertising on the site, it really wouldn't be worth it to switch.

Tashiketh
27th Sep 2009, 9:55 AM
Sims3Addicted: I know which colour and part you mean - I'll put it on my list.

Rikachu
27th Sep 2009, 10:04 AM
Adding on to what Sims3Addicted said... it does the same thing on the "Mint Tea" Style.

Tashiketh
27th Sep 2009, 11:08 AM
Well, yeah, but the colours are deliberate and have been like that way for years and nobody has complained till now... so it's not a high priority :)

emino
28th Sep 2009, 12:14 AM
I dont know if its already suggested, but I would really love a 'sort by' most downloaded in the sorting thingy.

Nysha
28th Sep 2009, 1:09 AM
Generally, the most downloaded stuff is just the oldest stuff - it doesn't tend to be terribly meaningful.

28th Sep 2009, 8:03 PM
GeneralOD: Actually, the popups do work on the highlighted area - if you use the left mouse button, and only if it's not popping out a submenu. Since middle mouse button is something PC/browser side, that only works on the active links themselves, rather than the onClick event (in the table cell).Yeah, I`ve done enough HTML work to know what you mean, and I kinda hoped it wasn`t so. :|

By the way, congrats on hitting your Donation Drive (http://my.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=371762) target. :up: I noticed that it was $4387 when I called up the front page today, and it hit $4400 very soon thereafter. Oddly enough, I haven`t seen it budge since. :blink:

CatOfEvilGenius
28th Sep 2009, 8:37 PM
They stop taking donations once they have enough, I believe. It's an honest site.
My goof, see "how can I help" donation page.

Tashiketh
28th Sep 2009, 10:01 PM
Cat, actually, donations are accepted anytime :) We just dont tend to advertise that fact unless we are doign a drive.

Ambular
29th Sep 2009, 1:42 AM
Two small things:

1. Would it be possible to mark downloaded files as Sims 2 or Sims 3? I still collect both, and at times it's hard to remember which type a particular file is, especially if I have to wait a couple days before I can get around to installing them.

2. Very minor quibble, but I found it awfully convenient when my username was at the top of every page linked directly to my profile instead of hidden under 'My Links.' Couldn't that be reinstated?

Nysha
29th Sep 2009, 2:08 AM
To the first, why not just save them into a "Sims 2" folder and a "Sims 3" folder?

Tashiketh
29th Sep 2009, 10:10 AM
Ambular: The "Welcome, Ambular" bit is linked to your profile, as before, and thats been at the top forever. :)

Beccapixie10
29th Sep 2009, 11:21 AM
im very sorry if this has already been said, but...
I find that i always forget whose content i have downloaded, so i cant use any of my custom content in other uploads or screenshots.
Maybe you could apply a rule that all items/etc. that have in-game descriptions have the creator name in the description? It would make it a lot easier...

Tashiketh
29th Sep 2009, 11:34 AM
Beccapixie: Sorry but I'm really not enthusiastic about that idea. We require enough work to be put into the uploads as it is, that something as small as the creator name in the description would make it extra hard - and when you count in the fact that the staff would have to download and check each and every upload to make sure thats happened (thus, making it extra time), then I really don't think thats going to happen.

CatOfEvilGenius
29th Sep 2009, 9:49 PM
Beccapixie10 You can add the creator name to clothes/makeup yourself with this tool (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=321239), if the creator didn't.

Beccapixie10
30th Sep 2009, 12:14 AM
okay never mind then, thanks for the replies

Echo
30th Sep 2009, 1:57 AM
Oddly enough, I get really irritated when people put their names or sites or other personal credit into the CC description. It breaks the immersion while I'm playing the game. *shrug*. :) Putting usernames in package filenames is much nicer, since I'm only looking at files if I'm outside the game.

CatOfEvilGenius
30th Sep 2009, 3:24 AM
Echo What I was talking about is the tooltips that show up in BodyShop when you mouseover.

Nysha
30th Sep 2009, 4:05 PM
CAS tooltips got broken in AL(?), though.

Night Racer
1st Oct 2009, 12:22 AM
How about new color themes?
the last new theme was Mint Tea or somthing of the sort...and that was....quite a while ago.
I notice there is an expeRimental RO...w/e that is.
how about a Fall theme? Spring? ect?
Or could it be possible to make the whole site color scheme customizable per user...like Profiles?

Ambular
1st Oct 2009, 4:26 AM
Ambular: The "Welcome, Ambular" bit is linked to your profile, as before, and thats been at the top forever. :)

Oh! In that case, I guess I'd better report that the "Hi, Ambular!" text only shows for me when Firefox's sidebar is closed. I don't see it at all when my bookmarks are open. O_o

joninmobile
1st Oct 2009, 5:00 AM
I was thinking about the new yearbook, maybe there could be a link to your yearbook page on your mts profile page, since on the yearbook there is a link to your mts page, why not have it going both ways?

CatOfEvilGenius
2nd Oct 2009, 8:12 PM
creator journals

1) When clicking on the Journal tab in my profile, I can read my own journal, but can't add an entry. I need to go to User Tools, click Edit Journal, and then I get an Add Entry option. Would like to be able to edit from the Journal tab. Not a big deal, just a thought.

2) RSS feeds? Syndication? For the dummies among us (including me), could there be link to an explanation of journal syndication and RSS? Or just a short note, or something?

v-ware
4th Oct 2009, 8:12 PM
The ability to put images (off links not as attachments) in signatures.

Like this :p

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww277/off_to_work/gagagagag.gif

or any regular banner like this.

http://skumedia.t5mgn.com/91220/banner_450x260_en.jpg

Just an idea. :D

HystericalParoxysm
4th Oct 2009, 8:51 PM
We will not be doing any signature images and if we did (which we don't have any plans to currently, though it has been discussed) they would be -tiny- and non-animated.

Tashiketh
4th Oct 2009, 8:53 PM
v-ware: 3 words. Oh hell no.

Nysha
4th Oct 2009, 9:02 PM
Thankyou for reminding us why we don't allow images in sigs...

KayKay888
5th Oct 2009, 5:30 AM
I think maybe you should have some contests, and I have some cool ideas for new fashion lines, and i write and design amazing stories, caracters, and i have been studing fashion for 10 years. So my e-mail is: [email protected] ! sooo email me when you need help ideas or other! this message is for the site owner + the members of this amazing site for any request or ideas or task

kopple36
5th Oct 2009, 5:46 AM
I think it would be worth while if we had the option to edit polls. Sometimes when I'm making a poll, I make a mistake, or miss something out but can't because I can't edit the poll.

KayKay888- The site does have contests.

They have the community run contests here- http://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=569
And they also have offical MTS contests- the last one was the Stuff for Kids Contest

The first contest was the Ancients- http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=239934

Hope that helps. :)

Gingerxyz
5th Oct 2009, 10:27 PM
The Featured/Top items and finds box, maybe one for the sims 2 and one for the sims 3? Thats been bugging me for a while.

KayKay888
6th Oct 2009, 12:06 AM
I think that if the site had contest for like "design a nursery" or "Design a line of teen clothes for 2009" That it would be cooler and this is THE BEST SITE EVER!

ellacharmed
6th Oct 2009, 12:31 AM
I just set my logon preferences couple months back, so I don't know if it has always been thus.

Is it intentional for the imts2 "Latest posts in Subscribed Forums" page to have the Views/Reads columns swapped from the regular forums' view?

I find it confusing, but otherwise I have like all the tweaks done so far and appreciate it. The ones I find weird/annoying are not worth the trouble to overhaul cos of the heavy customization and others have mentioned most stuff I never even noticed. :cool:

Elizabella
6th Oct 2009, 10:05 PM
I just thought of something...if there was a way to attach a file to a PM I think that would be awesome! So many of us help each other with meshes and finding good files etc that it would be helpful to pm each other instead of posting in random forums :)

6th Oct 2009, 10:30 PM
I`d like to see the vB Code List (http://my.modthesims.info/misc.php?do=bbcode) updated, if it isn`t already up-to-date, with more information about what options are available for various tags and what sorts of values are suitable for tags that require special values. Like the "autolink" tag, for example.

I`d also like to see additional tags made available like anytext.

I`d also like to see the page updated with indications of which tags are usable only by staff and not by general members.

I`d also like to see a page showing what the abbreviations and images WERE for disconTinued smiles, so I have an idea what some of the old posts were supposed to look like. Not re-enable them, just one page that shows what they used to be.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Simonut
6th Oct 2009, 10:43 PM
Hello Delphy & Staff maybe this have been said already ( not sure ), it would be nice if there was some kind of icon for those who do Tutorials that have help a lot of people. I think that is a accomplishment as well for those who do tutorials.

Tashiketh
6th Oct 2009, 11:56 PM
GeneralOD: Autolink should not be used manually. It's reserved for, well, autolinks. :)

What would the purpose of a member tag be?

Elizabella: Thats probably not going to happen, especially when those things are usually one-shot, and there are sites like rapidshare or even MYP.

ellacharm3d: I could probably switch those 2 columns fairly easily. I'll add it to my list. :)

Elizabella
7th Oct 2009, 12:39 AM
Oh sorry, what's MYP?

Tashiketh
7th Oct 2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.modyourpanties.com/

joninmobile
7th Oct 2009, 2:55 AM
I would love to see search paramaters on all lots to show by stories. I personally love to download one story lots only, and it would make my search for a one story lot much easier.

ellacharmed
7th Oct 2009, 4:12 AM
Hey, I saw you made the changes..thx, Delphy! :up:
I'm particular about UI inconsistencies.. heh. ;)

Rapsheba555
7th Oct 2009, 5:55 AM
How about a few more moods for journal entries? Confuzzled and Happy don't really cover it all. :)

BTW, all the changes thus far have been quite helpful. :up:

blackbird163
7th Oct 2009, 9:10 AM
i was wondering whether it would be possible to have the Download browse editor options in the filter. Only the main ones like sims, build mode, buy mode, bodyshop, Game mods and Lots with tick boxes. Just because i like looking at build and buy mode items at the same time and sims and bodyshop at the same time. Is this a possibility or is that too hard to achieve??
Thanks for the absolutely awesome website!!!!!!!!!!

Nysha
7th Oct 2009, 1:32 PM
That's been on D's to-do list for a while. :)

Ghost sdoj
7th Oct 2009, 2:36 PM
KayKay: Open the Community tab at the top of the page. Go to Sims Creativity. You will find Sims contests there. That section has been kind of quiet lately, but after you have had 20 posts and have successfully participated in a contest as a contestant or a judge you are allowed to submit your own contests for approval. (read the stickied rules in that section first, but they are all pretty much common sense. I.e.; don't start if you don't plan to finish; don't break site rules; be polite; be fair; etc.)

If you are really that interested in contests, you should make a link for yourself to that section. ;)

Tashiketh
7th Oct 2009, 3:33 PM
blackbird163: Unlikely to happen, since you already have the tick boxes for the download browse editor.

7th Oct 2009, 9:47 PM
GeneralOD: Autolink should not be used manually. It's reserved for, well, autolinks. :)"Autolink" was just an example; there are others that appear to be insufficiently documented.What would the purpose of a member tag be?Delphy`s profile page -- equivalent to Delphy`s profile page (http://Delphy.modthesims.info/), but capable of accepting numeric member IDs also. "Magic links" to other parts of the site, in the spirit of , [wiki] and [post] would be helpful, too. [member] was merely the first one I thought of. I wish I`d known about [link] sooner, too.

Edit: I`d also like to see an automatic link to [thread=107858]Majors Made Easier by FrikaC (http://FrikaC.modthesims.info/) included automaticaly on all custom majors downloads threads, much like Numenor`s CEP already is on EAxis recolor downloads.

blackbird163
7th Oct 2009, 10:18 PM
Ok. Just i change what i look at during browsing and my preferences have issues and normally take days to change(or in one case wont change) so that would really work for changing in the middle of a browsing session.
I found another problem that i have been having. When i go into downloads and i get to the second last page and i click on the next button it just reloads the page i'm on.( that problem is now fixed) Also sometimes when i do a search it will say there are however many results but nothing shows up. What should i do?
Thanks Blackbird.

Tashiketh
7th Oct 2009, 10:59 PM
blackbird: Can you give me an example of a search that shows results but nothing appears?

GeneralOD: I actually already have [member] code in, but it does nothing because I could never get the regexp working properly. It's pretty low on the list though.

Oh, as for [link] - thats just a copy of url, a legacy thing from back when we used e107.

blackbird163
7th Oct 2009, 11:22 PM
Here is the problem.This isn't a search but i couldn't remember any of the searches that were doing it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
there are three images. one of the filter settings, one of the downloads display and one of everything.

I see it is fixed!! I had assumed it was a problem with the compatible option

CatOfEvilGenius
11th Oct 2009, 7:58 PM
When editing one of my existing upload threads, it would be really nice to have a floating toolbar at the bottom with "Save" on it. Something like the floating toolbar you put in for Thread Tools. Then I wouldn't have to scroll way down to hit Save. It's not a big inconvenience to scroll, but if it would be quick and easy to change, I would appreciate it.

Tashiketh
11th Oct 2009, 8:47 PM
Cat: Done :)

Rikachu
11th Oct 2009, 8:50 PM
Actually, I agree with Raps. More Journal moods, as i don't think happy and confuzzled fit with every entry. :P

CatOfEvilGenius
12th Oct 2009, 6:40 PM
Delphy - Thanks! And preview too, good idea.

ABCRic
18th Oct 2009, 12:25 AM
The toolbar on the bottom is getting more stuff! Great job Delphy!

[annoyingstuffz]The bottom text says "Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.13" but further below it says "MTS/MTS2 v2.9 based on vBulletin 3.0.14 with multiple hacks."[/]

joninmobile
18th Oct 2009, 5:22 AM
The ability to comment on finds would be great! :)

19th Oct 2009, 9:37 PM
I`d LOVE a "This is a Thanks post" tickbox on the "Reply with Quote" edit-page. I often wish to quote part of a message in a Thanks reply. I can do so now, but it would be way easier if I didn`t have to save and re-edit to find that tickbox.

Tashiketh
19th Oct 2009, 11:39 PM
GeneralOD: Considering that Thanks posts are supposed to be short messages saying thanks for a creation, I felt that it wasn't neccesary to add a tickbox to the Advanced screen - primarily becuase that isn't used for saying thanks. Remember that the Thanks posts also add a Thanks to the upload - I would think that the vast majority of people don't need to say thanks with a quote.

20th Oct 2009, 9:20 AM
They usually don`t add a Thank to the upload when *I* do it, because I usually have already Thanked the upload with the Thanks button. ;) That said, point taken, but I don`t see the point`s relavence. **Of course** it adds a Thanks [if one isn`t already registered]. So what?

-=-=- More to the point -=-=-

I generally don`t need to quote with my thanks, but it DOES happen. Scan your databases for "Reply With Quote" does not have a "This is a Thanks message" option. in the Reason for Editing field to see some indication of how often. :D Then check out the posts the search kicks out to see WHY such a feature would be wanted. `K?

Tashiketh
20th Oct 2009, 1:33 PM
Just becuase you want a particular feature doesn't mean it's going to get added. Especially if it's usage would be extremely low.

daluved1
21st Oct 2009, 5:00 PM
I'm liking the new PM lightboxes and such :D

Tashiketh
21st Oct 2009, 6:27 PM
I like them too. :D

Ghost sdoj
21st Oct 2009, 11:23 PM
Sometimes something new gets posted in the news ticker. You notice it's there just as it's flashing away. Then you need to wait until everything else cycles through and it comes back before you can read it.

It would be nice to have a way to scroll backwards and forwards through the items on it.

joninmobile
23rd Oct 2009, 7:30 AM
I'm not a huge fan of pvt messages being to the left of the sreen, they've been at the right for years, and I'm so used to them like that. I may have to get used to it, but is it really neccessary to move the pvt messages to the left of the screen? Perhaps you can include in our edit options a way to go back to the old view for pvt messages.