PDA

View Full Version : Combining meshes in one object

leefish
8th Jan 2009, 8:55 PM
Hi
I have two objects uploaded which are in 2 parts (ie part 1 requires part 2 to work) and I would like to know if it is possible to combine these separate pieces into 1 object to reduce the risk of uploaders only having half of an object set in their DLs folder?

This thread is an example of what I mean

http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=313177.

I would like to put the cars and garage together in one object.

WesHowe
10th Jan 2009, 11:24 PM
You should be able to put the entire contents of the second package into the first package, using SimPE. You may have to 'extract' (use the right-click menu) all the files to a temporary folder, and then 'insert' them in the desired package, but the game should be able to load both items from one package.

<* Wes *>

Inge Jones
11th Jan 2009, 9:31 AM
That's ok for the scenegraph parts, those which have their instance numbers derived from their names. But for simantics resources (such as BHAVs and STR#) you will get duplicate instance numbers - which does matter if they are all group 0xFFFFFFFF. In that case you have to renumber everything, and make sure the renumbered ones are still referencing each other correctly. In the case of standard-numbered textlists, you can't do this and you have to actually edit one file to hold all the strings.

What you could do instead is put the two files into a folder names specifically to the hack, and also put in a readme text file that names the two package files that should be in the folder and explains they must both be present. Then zip the folder. The user should end up with a folder with everything in it and will be less likely to handle them as seperate files with the risk of losing one.