PDA

View Full Version : Blinking multi-colored light...possible?

sweetswami77
26th Dec 2008, 5:12 PM
Hi guys!

I had an idea to make a blinking traffic signal that would transition between red, yellow and green lights. The "shades" would be red, yellow, and green, and I could transition between lit and unlit states while the light is on using animation cell textures, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to have alternating diffusion light, and, more importantly, to sync the light with the coordinating lit shade. What do you think? Possible?

J. M. Pescado
29th Dec 2008, 1:08 PM
Probably. Isn't the color of a light influenced mostly by what it passes through, anyway? If you change the color of the glass, the light will change color accordingly, in theory.

Inge Jones
29th Dec 2008, 1:51 PM
I don't know if this is the best way, but the way I would approach it is to make each coloured shade a mesh subset, each with two materials - lit and unlit. The lit material in each case would have their emissive value set to appear self-illuminating. You may not need a texture file to go with the material if you just want the plain colours. But if you want the detail in it like you can see in traffic lights close up (they have refractive covers with embossed writing) then you will also need the texture.

Then in the main loop, have each of the subsets changing their material to match a typical traffic light sequence.

This won't turn the object into an actual light source, but then traffic lights do not usually light up their surroundings very much.

sweetswami77
30th Dec 2008, 6:45 PM
Thanks for responding, guys!

J.M. Pescado (you know you'd be my number 1 hero if Numenor weren't so darn insecure, right? :rofl: )--If it's just a matter of changing the color of the shade, then making the shades of textured glass and using animation cells to cycle them through the loop, then that's well within my meager abilities. I'm not sure if all the lights in the game work that way, though. I cloned the lantern string from Seasons and changed the color of the glass to safety cone orange, but the color of light diffusion didn't change. I will have to try the neon lights from NL and see if they behave any differently. I know Numenor has an InfoCenter thread on LGHT files that touches on light diffusion. I'll have to see what I can glean from that, too.

Inge--I've done that *sorta* by cloning one of the base game posters and making it wall decor instead of a light source. It's part of a set I just uploaded (still in the queue). I think it turned out alright, though I'd still love to have the glow and colored diffusion. I'm going to keep working on it. Thanks for the suggestions! :up: