PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Rugs

MogHughson
20th Nov 2008, 8:07 PM
I have cloned a Maxis rug and I have definitely added it's own unique GUID, but when I load it up in the game it replaces the Maxis one. I know Rugs can be cloned because I have seen a big thread on this website with lots of rugs, but there's obviously something more to it than cloning a normal object.

Any advice gratefully received
Cheers
Mog

Inge Jones
20th Nov 2008, 8:27 PM
Did you get new names for all the scenegraph parts such as the GMDC and so on? Object Workshop usually offers you new names and you just have to say Yes, but of course if you said no, or had unticked the options for it to do that then it is possible you have not got your own unique prefix.

Also check that you don't have a copy of your cloned rug from before you gave it its own GUID, sitting there with a different name or something.

Check it still has the new GUID, and you didn't forget to commit the OBJD or save it.

MogHughson
20th Nov 2008, 9:27 PM
I have removed everything from my downloads folder and made sure I had committed the GUID. I tried cloning the object again, and changed nothing other than the GUID (and updating the names of course). Even this had the problem. There may be something special about the "Thirsty" the bath mat object, because when I tried cloning another 1x1 rug there was hardly anything in it - no textures or anything!

I have noticed something else about my cloned rugs though - their colours are all dark. I have made them to match a texture in another existing rug and when outside in daylight they look the same colour but inside with a light shining on them, my clones are much darker than the Maxis one. Also when you use the design tool to change the texture, the whole object dissappears from view (it's still there - just the texture becomes transparent and you can just about see an edge where it is sitting). Even the one I cloned and didn't change anything else of the object has this problem!

I'm beginning to wonder if rugs are different from other objects?

Inge Jones
20th Nov 2008, 10:19 PM
Ok... this sounds like something beyond my ken now. Maybe someone else knows what's happening here.

porkypine
20th Nov 2008, 10:33 PM
Maybe Echo knows. She's made some rug meshes.

Numenor
20th Nov 2008, 11:12 PM
As for the dark look of the cloned rug, you could try editing the OBJD: in the top-right corner, change "Tiles" to "Normal", and check if there is a visual difference when in game.
If not, it may help raising the mesh in the 3D editor, just a little, so to be sure that it rests on top of the floor tiles.

Regarding the other problem, of the empty packages when cloning: by chance, do you have Mansion&Garden, and have modified SimPE's configuration so to read the new pack?

fairywitch
21st Nov 2008, 3:47 PM
When I made my rugs I came across the "darkness" issue. It's because Maxi's rugs don't have lighting enabled. Probably due to the flatness of them and the way they work. They are wierd objects indeed.

Check the stdMatLightingEnabled value in the Material Definition and change it to 1. (Commit & Save!)

In two of my rugs there isn't even a SpecPower entry and I didn't add it to the list either and they work just fine without it.

Numenor
21st Nov 2008, 7:55 PM
In two of my rugs there isn't even a SpecPower entry and I didn't add it to the list either and they work just fine without it.
When you add an entry to the TXMT, remember to "Sort" the entries: if they are not in alphabetical order, the game won't read them correctly.

MogHughson
21st Nov 2008, 10:04 PM
When I made my rugs I came across the "darkness" issue. It's because Maxi's rugs don't have lighting enabled. Probably due to the flatness of them and the way they work. They are wierd objects indeed.

Check the stdMatLightingEnabled value in the Material Definition and change it to 1. (Commit & Save!)

Thanks fairywitch - that was exactly it. When I set stdMatLightingEnabled to 1 they now look the same as the cloned one when positioned inside. They still have odd behaviour when the design tool is used on them. Not quite invible now, but very very bright which renders them almost invisible. Might this be the SpecPower entry that you mentioned?

As for the dark look of the cloned rug, you could try editing the OBJD: in the top-right corner, change "Tiles" to "Normal".

Regarding the other problem, of the empty packages when cloning: by chance, do you have Mansion&Garden, and have modified SimPE's configuration so to read the new pack?
I checked OBJD and they were already set to "Normal". I do not have Mansion & Garden yet no. I wonder what else it could be. I will try a larger selection of rugs to see if I can find a 1x1 that I can clone and that doesn't over-ride the one in the game in the way cloning Thirsty does.

Echo
21st Nov 2008, 10:26 PM
The Maxis rugs are all a bit funky as far as cloning goes. It's probably easier to use one of these:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=46922

They're base game compatible that way, too. :)