PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Best Practice for versioning

MogHughson
7th Nov 2008, 1:06 PM
Quick question.

What is considered the best practice in modding when you upload a second or subsequent version of an object. I assume the following, but am looking for confirmation.

Keep same package name - so downloaders automatically replace the old one if saving to the same directory
Keep the same GUID - or all hell breaks loose!
Mark a version number somewhere in the code? This is the one I'm not sure about - I found a couple of possibilities in SimPE

object version (0x0031) in OBJD
Tree Version in the BHAV. This one seems to be what comes out in your log files too which would be useful - is it OK to change this number? Will anything be broken if I do?

Anything else?

Maybe there's a checklist already?

Cheers
Mog

Inge Jones
7th Nov 2008, 1:22 PM
I usually change the filename if the functionality is different, or if it's compatible with a different EP from the original. I tend to keep the same name if it's just a bugfix. I prefer my users to make informed decisions, so if they just empty my packages into their downloads folder without finding out if there was one they should delete first, they're probably not the usership I am targetting with my mods.

Having said that, I can be unreliable about these things, or have different views on it at different times. I have always refused to regard game modding as a job, with rules.

Ok, someone's gonna come along in a moment with a better attitude about it than I have... :D

tim-schulze
7th Nov 2008, 4:45 PM
goof to know. thank you

Echo
7th Nov 2008, 10:53 PM
I've never really been particularly fussed about the version change, to be honest. Same GUID, same filename. It generally seems to work out okay regardless. :)

Numenor
8th Nov 2008, 12:25 AM
Me too. I never change the BHAV version, the GUID or the filename; in any case, the OBJD version should never be changed. I only put in the thread title and in the post something like "UPDATED (date)" and invite people to redownload.
In case of bug reports, I can always ask the user to read the last modification date of the file, to be sure he is using the last version.

MogHughson
8th Nov 2008, 2:20 PM
Thanks all for the advice - never thought of the file date - that would of course cover what I was worrying about a version number for, i.e. knowing whether a bug reporting user is using a back-level version of your objects.

Cheers
Mog