PDA

View Full Version : Cloning a slave object - AIM: no longer a slave

MogHughson
19th Oct 2008, 11:33 AM
Is there a way to clone an object that is a slave to another object (i.e. gets its textures from another object) and make it so that it is no longer a slave and has the textures included in the object?

All the searches I have done on this have only come up with tutorials and comments on how to make something into a slave, where I want the opposite.

Is it as simple as pulling the texture files from the master and adding them to the slave - are there other steps?

Cheers
Mog

Echo
19th Oct 2008, 12:57 PM
I believe that's what the "Standalone" option is for in the Object Workshop cloning wizard. Check that before you complete your clone, and it should not longer be slaved to another object. :)

MogHughson
19th Oct 2008, 4:52 PM
Hmmm, I tried that option already and it doesn't pull in the various TXTR, MMAT and TXMT files from the master that I had hoped. If I clone the master object, with or without the "Create a stand-alone object" those files are there, so there isn't another level of master-slave or anything like that.

Does it work to just pull in these files - I assume not, my attempt doesn't seem to know about the textures in the GMDC preview. I'm guessing there are various links that need to be updated - any ideas what those are?

bluetexasbonnie
19th Oct 2008, 11:42 PM
Rather than 'unslave' it, it might be easier to clone a normal object & put in the applicable changes.

Echo
20th Oct 2008, 12:22 AM
Which particular object are you trying to clone, if I may ask? It might help me figure out why it's not working for you. Are you after *all* the textures for that object, or just the default ones?

MogHughson
20th Oct 2008, 6:00 PM
I'm trying to clone the Driveway Extension - Concrete (Group ID 0x7FB9124C) which is a slave to the Driveway - Concrete (Group ID 0x7FBCF087).

I generally pull in all the textures, but in this case I'd be happy for it to work any which way :-)

Cheers
Mog

MogHughson
1st Jan 2009, 10:04 PM
Finally got back to this one. Have manually pulled in the various textures to my object from it's parent since making the clone as a stand-alone object just doesn't. After reading this wonderful tutorial (http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Understanding_the_Scenegraph) from Echo I finally was able to preview the mesh in SimPE with attached textures without it complaining about the Parent CRES being missing. So now I put it into Downloads folder to see how it fared.

My game crashed as I tried to open the section in the catalog (driveways) that it was in! I have no idea how to debug an object when it makes the game crash. Can anyone help please?

Cheers
Mog

Jasana_BugBreeder
2nd Jan 2009, 8:16 AM
Your GMND is broken: it has 3 children (0x1 - tsNoShadow, 0x2 - tsDesignModeEnabled, 0x3 - rockbase), but there are 4 items in the list for root item (0x0), cObjectGraphNode sub-tab. The game will always crash when number of items in this list is greater than actual number of child blocks, so, if you delete a block, you need to remove it from this list as well. (By the way, it's not necessary to delete tsMaterialsMeshName, or how was it called - as long as you delete all arrays in it, object counts as stand-alone).

Except this, package seems to be correct.

MogHughson
2nd Jan 2009, 2:33 PM
Thanks Jasana, very prompt, complete and accurate advice. Having fixed it as you advise, my game does not crash.