PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Object Animation with Dual Sims

Jasumi
1st Oct 2008, 2:35 AM
Hello, I hope I have addressed my issue in the correct subsection and that I am not violating any rules.

Firstly, I want to clone an object from maxis. Then when the user clicks on the object, the maxis animations are available as well as the custom animations. I want to animate two sims at once, two different animations playing in unison. I've found tutorials that go over how to animate one sim, but are there any with details on animating two sims that I have overlooked?

Also, is it possible I can create a single animation that involves two sims?

Echo
1st Oct 2008, 1:57 PM
You can animate two sims at once, as long as both of those sims are interacting with the object. You cannot, however, have a single animation which involves two sims. You also cannot (currently) create animations that are closely synchronized between two sims. For example, you cannot make a hugging animation that is guaranteed to have sim one put his hand on sim two's back at the same time as sim 1. Sometimes, if you're very clever with synchronizing your code, you can create the illusion of that, but it's a bit tricky and requires some confidence with BHAVs.

If you want more specific answers about 'how', it might help if you explained more specifically what you're trying to do. :)

Jasumi
4th Oct 2008, 9:39 PM
To be specific:

I want to create a global mod that affects all objects under the dining table category. When the table is clicked on by the user, an animation pops up that does not override Maxis animations. I've been having some defaulting issues lately.

Secondly, how can I introduce two sims to the same object, since only one sim clicks on the table? Would I have to create a new interaction that involves the table? Or can I have one sim wait at the table, and then the animation begins once another sims clicks on it? Will the last scheme create any interferences with maxis animations?

I hope this is coherent.

Echo
5th Oct 2008, 1:06 PM
Heh, I'm going to guess that the specific interaction that the two sims are using might be the sort of thing well suited to SXS2? ;)

Okay then. First question, overriding all dining tables. Seems like you may be in luck with this one! All (non-modded) dining tables share a the same semi-globals, which I think also includes the TTAB and TTAs files. If so, then you can make your mod by putting all your new BHAVs in that semi-globals group with unique instance IDs, and editing the semi-global TTAB and TTAs files without changing the group number or instance IDs. Of course, as this is then an override of all table's pie menus, it does have the possibility of conflicts, but I'm sure you figured that already. :)

Second question, how to introduce two sims to the same object? There are two ways that is normally handled in game. Either both sims have to select the same object to interact with it (like in the swing set) and the object lets the first sim know when a second sim arrives. Alternatively, you can add an "Ask to join" option to your object, so that once one sim is interacting with the object in some way they can click on another sim to invite them to "join". The latter relies on the "Push Object Interaction" command, there's a fair amount of information floating around on that.

Which method were you hoping to use?

The other thing here it to differentiate between the word "Interaction" and "Animation", which I think you might be using interchangeably here? An interaction is a sequence of things that a sim does, generally triggered by something in a pie menu. An animation is a way of describing a way that a sim moves his or her body.

So, for example, if there were a "wave" interaction, it would involve the sim turning to face the target sim, then playing a "wave left hand" animation, then possibly also playing a "say dag dag" animation and a "say dag dag" sound effect at the same time. Does that make sense?

Also, can you give me an idea of how experienced you are with BHAV modding and animation? As this is quite a tricky kind of mod, it would probably require at least a passing familiarity with both. :)

Jasumi
14th Oct 2008, 11:23 PM
Heh, I'm going to guess that the specific interaction that the two sims are using might be the sort of thing well suited to SXS2? ;)

Okay then. First question, overriding all dining tables. Seems like you may be in luck with this one! All (non-modded) dining tables share a the same semi-globals, which I think also includes the TTAB and TTAs files. If so, then you can make your mod by putting all your new BHAVs in that semi-globals group with unique instance IDs, and editing the semi-global TTAB and TTAs files without changing the group number or instance IDs. Of course, as this is then an override of all table's pie menus, it does have the possibility of conflicts, but I'm sure you figured that already. :)

Sorry, I responded so late.

Thank you, this helped me out.

I only need to tidy up my ending animations now.

Again, thank you.