PDA

View Full Version : Can`t Find Tutorial: Camera Hacking

GeneralOperationsDirector
22nd Sep 2008, 12:15 AM
I`m sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum; if I did, will a Moderator please move it to the correct forum?

I`ve seen camera hacks posted here, but I want to know how to edit my camera files myself, so I went looking for a tutorial. I used the Search Site with Google link, and several likely-looking threads popped up. However, none of them turned out to either be tutorials or to contain links to tutorials.

Do we have a Camera Hacking Tutorial here at ModTheSims2? If so, where?

Edit: I cannot post in this forum, so I have to edit my existing post.

Echo, thank you; I knew most of that already. What I`m hoping for is a tutorial for what those settings mean and how to modify them for particular effects. Does anyone know of anything like that?

callistra
22nd Sep 2008, 3:03 AM
This forum is for broken games. For help creating content/hacks for TS2 refer to the Create section.

Moving to Create >> Modding

Echo
22nd Sep 2008, 5:05 AM
Camera mods are plain text files, describing the various camera properties. You can edit them in any text editor (yes, even notepad) and just change the values. The really nice effects you see in some camera hacks are just a lot of these changes mixed together. As such, no, there are no tutorials for doing it. Start at "cameras.txt", and follow the "include" filenames to get to specific camera settings. :)

Echo
22nd Sep 2008, 7:53 AM
Hmm... No, I don't think you'll find much like that. It's all fairly standard camera terminology that it's using, so you should be able to google most terms to find out what they mean. If not, you're quite welcome to post the specific terms which are confusing you here and hopefully someone will be able to translate. :)

Edit: Was there a particular effect you were trying to create? Are you sure there's no existing mod which does what you want?

HystericalParoxysm
22nd Sep 2008, 10:07 AM
I've done a little editing of them myself and found a tutorial pretty unnecessary. With a combination of looking at the names to sort out what they mean, looking at existing camera hacks to see what they do and how their values change from the originals, and just messing with values and seeing what happens, I've been able to do everything I want. Granted, what I've wanted to do is relatively simple, but the same concept should apply to most of the camera parameters and be sorted out with some logic, comparison, and testing.

22nd Sep 2008, 7:31 PM
Hmm... No, I don't think you'll find much like that. It's all fairly standard camera terminology that it's using, so you should be able to google most terms to find out what they mean. If not, you're quite welcome to post the specific terms which are confusing you here and hopefully someone will be able to translate. :)

Edit: Was there a particular effect you were trying to create? Are you sure there's no existing mod which does what you want?Actually, I was thinking of converting the tutorial into a "camera hack generator"/"camera editor". As for specifics, for my own use, I was wanting a hacked neighborhood camera that allows me to see the whole neighborhood, but I wanted to understand what was happening, not just plunk something in and use it. Many camera hacks do this, but without any explanation how. Can anyone explain what to alter, how, and why, to accomplish this?

Echo
23rd Sep 2008, 1:10 AM
As in a program to create them for you? Well the "cameras.txt" file describes the syntax in a comment at the top, so you should be able to base a simple parser on that. Like HP said, the easiest way to figure out what values need to be changed is to look at existing mods and the end effects of those, or to change them yourself and see what happens. Things like 'zoom' and 'pitch' are fairly obvious as to what they do, and if not, googling will get you some fairly readable answers.

If you really, really want to learn the theory behind how these things work (and I mean really, it's not fun reading unless you enjoy matrices) then you can read up on cameras and viewports from something like the Red Book here:
http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~unreal/theredbook/chapter03.html
(skip the code, it's actually an OpenGL tutorial, just read the explanations. Mostly "Overview: The Camera Analogy" and "Projection Transformations")

Someone else might be able to point you to something a bit more accessible, I'm not sure...

23rd Sep 2008, 1:52 AM
Thanks, Echo; I`ll probably do that --the first, not the second! ;) I`m better at algebra than arithmatic, but I`m not that good!

Also, does anyone know if the various cameras files for the different expansions are any different from one expansion to another?

Delphy, would a "camera hack generator"/"camera editor" be welcome here?

Tashiketh
23rd Sep 2008, 11:14 AM
I'd say probably not.

Also, why don't you actually look at the camera files and find out? If you expect to do any serious programming you pretty much have to have all the expansions.

Instead of asking people the most basic simple questions - try it for yourself! Back when we where decoding the Sims 2 file formats, we couldn't ask anybody - becuase there was nobody to ask! All we could do was to actually change some values, try it in game and record the results. You know, like every scientific experiment on the planet. :)

If you don't understand something - try and find out for yourself before asking people all the time. MTS2 is all about learning - we are not HandHoldPeopleToModTheSims2 - so I suggest you seriously try learning things yourself. As Echo says, if you have specifics you don't understand, then thats fine, but otherwise, try things out for yourself first.