PDA

View Full Version : Grabing all of an item from objects package

mattsh
18th Sep 2008, 6:06 PM
Greetings,
I want to clone an object from the main objects package so I can change some settings with it and release it as a custom object.

I've read through some of the tutorials, but frankly I'm still confused. I have gotten the main objects package loaded into Sims PE, and see lots of the pie menus and objects, but how do I export all of the object I'm trying to re-work? I see I can sort by group, but if I do that, I still have a ton of stuff showing.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Inge Jones
18th Sep 2008, 6:11 PM
Usually the easiest way is to use Object Workshop in SimPE. As long as you untick all the boxes, and do not change the GUID for your new package, your object will be an override to the original, as you want.

If you really want to do it manually (remember you won't get the graphical resources this way) then use the Filter Resources tab which you will see on the right side or the bottom of your SimPE window, and enter the group number you want to filter by.

After that, just select all the resources left showing, right-click, and Extract. Then you can do File/New and add them all into your new package.

mattsh
18th Sep 2008, 6:55 PM
Usually the easiest way is to use Object Workshop in SimPE. As long as you untick all the boxes, and do not change the GUID for your new package, your object will be an override to the original, as you want.

If you really want to do it manually (remember you won't get the graphical resources this way) then use the Filter Resources tab which you will see on the right side or the bottom of your SimPE window, and enter the group number you want to filter by.

After that, just select all the resources left showing, right-click, and Extract. Then you can do File/New and add them all into your new package.

I tried the object workshop, but it kept trying to clone "Rain Clouds", and didn't give me an option for what to clone.

What do you mean by "won't get the graphical resources"?

mattsh
18th Sep 2008, 11:32 PM
From what I can tell if I load the main objects.package file.. then go to the workshop and click 'start' I should be able to edit defaults, yet when I click 'start' absolutely nothing comes up in the list on the workshop.

mattsh
19th Sep 2008, 12:00 AM
Apparently I wasn't loading the info correctly. I have a Mac, but run Sim PE on a Windows machine.. I guess I had to copy the whole TSDATA directory to the Windows machine... It's working now :) Learning curve has curved.

Inge Jones
19th Sep 2008, 8:56 AM
Yeah, I am afraid we never implemented the telepathy feature in SimPE, it does actually need access to the files before it can get the data from them :)