PDA

View Full Version : how do I change the footprint of a wall hanging?

VarianceTheory
31st Aug 2008, 3:57 AM
I'm stalled on the meshing end until I figure this out. I'm working on a set of wall overlays, but I just don't have the experience to know what I'm doing wrong. Or the google mojo to find the info if it's out there.
I've managed to clone the freetime butterfly crawler decal and scale it all the way up to the height I need, but it's a 2 tile mesh and what I need is a one tile mesh. I can scale the width of the mesh itself to what I need, but then what I end up with is a one tile wide strip centred between 2 tiles.
:help:

Echo
31st Aug 2008, 4:04 AM
I think what you're probably after is this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97054
:)

In the case of a wall hanging, you can probably skip the "init" bhav stuff since you actually don't mind if sims walk on those extra tiles or not

VarianceTheory
31st Aug 2008, 4:31 AM
Thank you so much!!!
when I was looking on my own google kept telling me about surgical procedures... :wtf:

bluetexasbonnie
31st Aug 2008, 6:42 AM
Why not just clone a single tile wall hanging? The mesh you made will work in that clone and you won't have to bother with changing the footprint.

VarianceTheory
31st Aug 2008, 7:23 AM
Funny thing about that Bonnie.
I actually did try that. I went in, cloned a poster (I think it was the civic idol one), swapped things around... and for some reason all the images that were meant to be all over the entire wall were bitty-sized to the same dimensions as the original poster and I had bits of that mesh hanging around like the tape in the corners. It wasn't pretty.
Anyways Echos really helpful tutorial let me figure out which parts to hack away to get the exact result I was going for, so I'm done with mesh creation and satisfied.
It wouldn't seem like a hugely complex undertaking to someone who's done a lot of meshing, but... I don't really create a lot of content.

bluetexasbonnie
31st Aug 2008, 1:29 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

sweetswami77
31st Aug 2008, 6:01 PM
VarianceTheory--I'm glad you got it all figured out, but if it's something you're thinking about uploading here, it would be great if you could find a base game object to clone so everyone could enjoy it. It's certainly not a requirement, but something that a lot of downloaders appreciate. Just thought I'd mention it. ;o)

VarianceTheory
31st Aug 2008, 9:16 PM
I'll definitely look into it, if I can remember which decor is base game.
But I thought when an object was cloned it created a duplicate that could be used without having to have the original ? I know there's a couple steps to go through to make something base game compliant, but I haven't quite hit that stage of the creation process yet.

edit:: ohhh. I went looking at Numenors basegame compliance thing, I didn't realize cloning an EP item for that was a bad thing :P
Edit once more:: Ragh. I cant get the base game starter to work, it just sits there and does nothing or tells me it can't find the c:\documents folder. All this fussing with simPE and meshes and gamestarters is cutting into my graphics time :|
I'm convinced it'd work just fine if I cloned my working clone into a basegame compatible format, but I don't really want to get into legalities and moral conundrums.

Echo
1st Sep 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm convinced it'd work just fine if I cloned my working clone into a basegame compatible format, but I don't really want to get into legalities and moral conundrums.

Legalities and moral conundrums aside, how exactly would that work? If you clone a clone, it's an exact copy. It's not pulling resources from the file table any more, so it will have all the same EP requirements... ;)

bluetexasbonnie
1st Sep 2008, 3:18 AM
First, set up the SimPE file table for basegame only.

Extra > Preferences > File Table > Simple Settings

The "file table" part is in the bar at the left of the window that opens with Preferences. "Simple Settings" is the top of the window that opens with File Table.

Uncheck everything but basegame.

Click "Reload" (upper right of window).

Use Painting-Vertical-Bella for your clone object. It seems to be a very well behaved package that does what you tell it. :rofl:

This will give you a base game object.

VarianceTheory
1st Sep 2008, 3:22 AM
Legalities and moral conundrums aside, how exactly would that work? If you clone a clone, it's an exact copy. It's not pulling resources from the file table any more, so it will have all the same EP requirements... ;)

aaand this is why I never venture outside my happy colouring bubble. I just don't get it. :lol:

My way of thinking was if I:
changed my preferences in SimPE to the basegame compatible settings ->
opened my working object ->
cloned it ->
gave it a new GUID
it would then work without the EP :duck:

Echo
1st Sep 2008, 6:15 AM
My way of thinking was if I:
changed my preferences in SimPE to the basegame compatible settings ->
opened my working object ->
cloned it ->
gave it a new GUID
it would then work without the EP :duck:

Lol! :D Yeah, that's not quite going to work...

The way cloning works is that you specify which object you're trying to make a clone of. It then looks for all the files which are necessary to make a duplicate of that object, trying to get the most recent and up-to-date version first. If there are parts of the object which don't necessarily need to be *in* the object and can just be referenced (like animation files, or the generic "look at" behavior for paintings,) then those files don't get copied in. The problem is that the parts referencing them still do. So if your clone references an animation from EP4, then that object won't work without EP4 installed.

You can make sure that it only gets base game files at first clone, by telling SimPE that all the other EPs should be ignored. That way, when it's gathering its files, it will only be able to collect files from the EPs you specify. These will only point to shared files in those EPs, so you won't need anything else installed to run them.

If you've made a clone with EP4 enabled, then try to make a clone of that clone, it will be an exact copy. As far as SimPE is concerned, all the files needed to make a duplicate of the object are... The ones already in there! So it doesn't matter if you change your filetable to hide the other EPs, you've still got EP4 files in your original clone, so your re-clone will have them too. :)

So yeah, easiest way to make a guaranteed base game compatible clone is to set up the SimPE file table then make a clean clone. :)