PDA

View Full Version : how do I change the catalog price without cloning?

VarianceTheory
30th Aug 2008, 11:17 AM
Alright, so I'm working on a wall decor set mainly for personal use but I'd like it to be kosher to share. It's an interior trim set, but without the tedium of creating a custom wallcover anytime I want to put up wainscoting or a chair rail etc.
I'd actually like to be able to put them in separate cost categories since a tiny piece of trim should only be like 2 or 3$ but one of those honking big stainless steel looking wainscot things would be more like 50$ a piece. It'd also make a particular piece easier to find. However, if that's not possible without willy nilly cloning, even a price override would make this set much more useful.
I've been using Numenors full poster meshes (from this topic) (http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=242442) for the full wall coverage and transparency I need, and he's like the last person on earth I want getting ticked at me. Actually I'd rather nobody got ticked at me, haha.

Or if it just can't be done, if anyone knows of any mesh that's also the size of the entire wall, does transparency but can be cloned freely, I can live with that too. But so far I've been having great results with the numenor mesh.
This is a rather giant set already, I only just got started and I'm already past 81 different recolors- scrolling through all that mess in game is horrible.

In a nutshell:
I'd like to know if there's anyway to change the cost of an object without violating a no cloning policy.

I also humbly apologize for my rambling, scouring the internet for hours after a marathon art session leaves me a bit loopy.

Echo
30th Aug 2008, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, you can't change the price of one recolour without changing them for the original object itself. So if you want an alternate price, you need a clone. :(

VarianceTheory
30th Aug 2008, 12:24 PM
darnit. I figured as much, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Ah well, I guess it's a good thing I'm patient when it comes to decorating and not afraid of money cheats.

edit:: although I'm getting the feeling my best bet is going to be trying to learn to create my own mesh and go from there. The list of stuff I have to do exceeds a hundred, and that many recolors of anything transcends ridiculous. :wtf:

Inge Jones
30th Aug 2008, 12:53 PM
If you are only doing the price change to enjoy in your own game, you could edit the price of the original. Creators accept this. But obviously if you are intending to share work with an amended price, then you are into cloning the original and for that you need the creator's permission. Many of them would be happy to give permission however.

VarianceTheory
30th Aug 2008, 1:06 PM
Will you laugh at me if I say I'm afraid to ask? (Please, laugh, I know it's ridiculous.)
I'm sure a lot of well known faces in the community get bombarded with "plz can I clone?" but it does say pretty clearly 'do not clone' right on his page.

Well, I'll ask anyways. Thank you both so much! :)

HystericalParoxysm
30th Aug 2008, 1:15 PM
Ya don't gotta be scared of Numenor. He's a nice guy and very patient, even with stupid questions (which yours isn't). Worst he'd do is say no. Extremely unlikely to rip your head off and try to feed you your liver. ;)

VarianceTheory
30th Aug 2008, 1:40 PM
Haha well that's good- I'd hardly be able to eat my own liver if I was missing my head.

Oh Maxis, why must you make all the cute trims be attached to the most hideous walls ever?

EDIT::
I'm so intelligent, so very very intelligent. *headdesk* I COMPLETELY forgot about the freetime butterfly crawler wall decal until I was scrolling through this forum and saw someone else mentioning it :turtle:
Do I get the smart cookie prize now? lol